Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

lets see your foes!!

296K views 526 replies 168 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
ya its prolly been done plenty time before, but its always cool and there hasnt been any recent ones, so ya, post up pics of your foes! i just bought a 05 silver foes fly, with all the goodies, floating brake, ti spring, hadley hubs, 66rc. i havent gone to pick it up yet since i cant drive, so im basicly going insane hear waiting for it. so lets see some pics and as soon as i get mine im gonna be postin up pis too... :D

#434 ·
roterblitz
Jul 8, 2013 at 4:21

And again, Cycleworks invited to it's all year meeting. Many riders and their rokets came to meet.

There were some awsome highlights that Cycleworks organized from Foes fund and brought to switzerland.

Fab Foes 001, the first frame that Brend Foes welded in 92 with 6,5" suspention travel and started a new aerea in mountainbike sport.

LTS, light travel service, from the year 95, the first serial production.

"Weasel, the legend lives"
It needs no more words.

DH Slammer, th predecessor to DHS Tube and the DHS Mono 2:1.

"The Missle" Missy Giove's original worldcupmachine of Global Racing Team.
Custom to the max

There were some prototypes to see:
SSV, Kiddie Trike and The Gator Fixie.

And of course there were some new highlights from the bikefaktory of Pasadena:

Hydro, FXR, F275 and Shaver 29"

Monkeyheadcycles brought his pinstripemaster and he garnished by request.

And of course the man at grill and the lady at bar took this Cycleworks event to a complete success.

Picture speek louder than words, check it out...

Foes meets Foes 2013 (Grill & Chill) - Eventkalender - traildevils.ch

some pictures of the FOES meets FOES 2013 in switzerland

#450 · (Edited)
Resto job under way…
Beautiful man, she's a pearler, can't think of a more worthy frame for what many would today consider a retro build project. I much preferred the tube version to the monocoque LTS, looks way tougher. Although belonging to a slightly later era, the rare as hens teeth Shivers should be a great match.

Back in the day, there was no more desirable bike than the Weasel, it was quite simply THE bike to have. The San Andreas and Santa Cruz Heckler were both considered worthy alternatives, but they weren't no Weasel, and they certainly weren't no Foes. Brent & Co were pushing the slack, low slung, 6" trail bike at a time when that kind of thing was considered the exclusive domain of crazy heavy gravity rigs. Look where the industry is now, thanks to the pioneers at Foes, encouraged by visionaries like Richard Cunningham.

Few, if any other bikes of the period came close to the Weasel's 'bring it on' agricultural engineering and attention to detail. Despite the industries transformative evolution in design, fabrication, and reach since the Weasel's incarnation some 15 years ago, it continues to stand alone as the most immediately recognisable bike of the late 90's era. This is for good reason, the Weasel's as purpose built and ready to rock today as it was all those years ago, an eon in mtb terms.

What other bike can you think of that continues to look like a serious, modern trail bike from that era? This was when Specialized were pumping out the FSR, which although a decent bike for it's day, was pathetically under engineered by modern standards. I mean, it's pivots were a sloppy-ass joke, virtually none of the duallies from that era survived more than a few years when ridden properly.

Good luck mate, are you going to try and stay period specific? If you're ready to blow some serious cash, you'll probably want some AC (with chain guide) or retro XTR cranks, retro XTR groupo, Azonic Double Wall bars and Shorty stem, Rhyno Lites, 3" Nokkians, and one of those ridiculous, blue and red Tioga lounge seats. The early model Hope and Formula disc systems from that time were most common, and a total pain in da ass, requiring constant attention. True to the period, the swing arm only facilitates rim brakes anyway, such was the preference at the time, being far cheaper and more reliable. Forget about Magura hydro rims brakes, they sucked too; really finicky, and quickly devoured expensive pads in the wet.

#452 ·
Been looking for a shorty stem. I have one on a gt sts and it looks awesome. I'm thinking a semi mod resto which is in line with my other rides. Plus a couple of trick parts. Maybe some double barrel cranks. I'll see after that.

#455 · (Edited)
Azonic Shorty Deluxe Stem 75mm at Balle Racing

The 75mm 10 degree rise is exactly what you want. It's actually a bit shorter than 75mm, closer to 70mm if I remember. Anyway, it's a good length, the perfect length for an all-purpose trail beast.

I bought all (maybe 4) of their black ano stock many years ago, even back then it was a rare treasure trove. Subsequently sold them over the years for peanuts, $20 or $30 a piece, can't think why. Dumb move, really regret it now, given how hard it's become to find a decent stem for older, 25.4 bars. I remember back in the day there was a generic, unbranded version of the shorty getting around also.

You also want really wide bars with about a 2" rise, I always had Azonic Double Walls, which (sort of) minimized vibration, though nothing like good carbon bars. The carbon Haven bars on my VP-Free have been a revelation, the difference is night and day, as was the VPP linkage design, having owned a Heckler, Bullit, and '06 Foes FXR; so much smoother (super plush), particularly small bump compliance, and better for climbing. Having said that, single pivot still takes the big hits really well, very stable at speed, perfect for barreling down gnarly old fire trails.

#456 ·
#458 ·
Stem ordered and shipped, thanks for the info. I know everyone will think I'm crazy but as I have 2 sets already with no problems (touch wood) I'm going to look for another set of caramba double barrels.

This is definitely being used as a trail bike so XO shifters are a must for me plus Hope tech X2 brakes and goodridge lines. I have a San Andreas too which has been dialled in nicely with some modern components and feels better than my modern ride although it sounds like a filing cabinet being chucked down a stairs ha ha.

Mainframe is getting decorated in a deep metallic candy red currently. I'll post pics when I get it back.
I've got a bunch of foes decals too but don't have a full set of originals, it will still look awesome though.

#459 · (Edited)
Stem ordered and shipped, thanks for the info.
Son of a... You nabbed the last new 70mm Shorty in existence!! ;)

I know everyone will think I'm crazy but as I have 2 sets already with no problems (touch wood) I'm going to look for another set of caramba double barrels.
No offence, but they don't even look that good, imo. It's not easy to make CNC machined, ano mtb parts look as average as that, each to their own I guess. Check out old Paul rear derailleurs, they're a highly collectible work of art; Paul's Components Rear Derailleur - Weight Weenies

I've no idea about the DB's performance, never heard of them tbh. That doesn't happen too often, so I'm going to assume they're extremely rare or nothing special, likely both. That's three good reasons (don't forget pug fugly) to get different cranks. Cranks are a huge statement on a mtb, only the forks and frame itself are of greater import. Their prominent, central location, inherent chunkiness, and relationship to the rest of the drive train all command attention, immediately drawing the eye, complimenting (or detracting from) the overall aesthetic.

Both the Shimano and Sram cranksets use a similar hollow tube design (Hollowtech refers to the cranks themselves) supported by bearing cups. It's a lightweight, simple, elegant, and entirely proven design, completely superseding the traditional sealed BB in every way. I'd go a Shimano Saint M810 dual chainring crankset(note 170mm length), or red XO cranks, if you can afford it. I have the Saint M810's on my VP-Free, awesome cranks, they look tough as hell, imagine how cool the fat black arms would look set against the metallic candy red of the front triangle. You'll also require a Saint M810 front derailleur to match it, not sure about swing or pull type, can't do everything for ya. :p

This is definitely being used as a trail bike so XO shifters are a must for me plus Hope tech X2 brakes and goodridge lines.
My only experience with Hope brakes is with the early gen, late 90's model. Never again. Not super impressed with the power of the XT M785's on my VP-Free, even with 8" rotors. No doubt they need to be bled, but the M775's on my Bullit always felt much stronger, ie. an inopportune handful of lever could catapult you over the bars. My former mechanic reckons the SLX's are easily the best value brakes on the market; same calipers as XT with less adjustable levers, not much different.

My mate has Saint M820's on his VP-Free; amazing power (full-on boat anchors), can lock-up the rear wheel instantly, true one finger braking (no BS), makes my XT's look very average. They also have a premium look and feel about them which the XT's and SLX's do not.

I'd go the Saints because I know they're totally bullet proof, not ridiculously expensive (plenty of sales), and not so boutique I'd have trouble sourcing parts. In 20 odd years designing hydro brake systems for mtb, Shimano haven't made a lemon yet, or even a system requiring anything more than a bare minimum of maintenance. Who else could make such a claim? I wouldn't feel as confident about any other brands, particularly Hope, which traditionally have always been high maintenance. The Hope's do look great though, I'll give 'em that.

I have a San Andreas too which has been dialled in nicely with some modern components and feels better than my modern ride although it sounds like a filing cabinet being chucked down a stairs ha ha.
There's no denying the San Andreas' place in mtb folk law as one of the all-time great designs. However, I never liked massively over sized aluminium monocoque tubes. With the significant internal cavities acting as echo chamber, the constant, hollow knocking sound can be more than a little distracting, and bloody infuriating at times.

Mainframe is getting decorated in a deep metallic candy red currently. I'll post pics when I get it back.
Sounds delightful, can't wait.

I've got a bunch of foes decals too but don't have a full set of originals, it will still look awesome though.
Tried to find some on the Foes site (not much on Ebay), seems to be experiencing technical difficulties, unfortunately; Foes Racing USA - Handmade Full Suspension Bicycle Frames

#462 ·
Fantastic, where did you dig this up from??

The only thing letting the bike down IMO was the forks with their 1" of travel. I still have them with working bumpers but they never compressed more than that which is why I'm putting shivers on.

#463 ·
Fantastic, where did you dig this up from??
A site I'm sure you're familiar with... Retrobike | Retro, Vintage and Classic Mountain, Road and BMX bikes

The only thing letting the bike down IMO was the forks with their 1" of travel. I still have them with working bumpers but they never compressed more than that which is why I'm putting shivers on.
I'd forget the retro build, it'd be much more interesting to see how such a classic frame performs given the benefit of modern components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.