mtbr member
    Apr 2010

how well does the rs7 pedal

looking at the rs7 for a do it all bike? what do you think,

i ride all mountain and fr, dh, weight is 220,
    i dont race nor will i start,

its this or an santa curz nomad with a 170 mm coil fork and a coil rear shock...

help me decide on the two bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I dont know where you are based but theres a large RS7 on ebay uk now.
    I wish somebody would answer this thread as i would like to know how they pedal too.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    looking at the rs7 for a do it all bike? what do you think,

i ride all mountain and fr, dh, weight is 220,
    i dont race nor will i start,

its this or an santa curz nomad with a 170 mm coil fork and a coil rear shock...

help me decide on the two bikes
    If you outfit the R7 with a Curnutt air, it will pedal very well. I'd take this over a Nomad any day. The new Nomads (VPP2) are low performers. They either don't pedal well, or they don't decend well.

Atleast not compared to Foes.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

banned
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    If you outfit the R7 with a Curnutt air, it will pedal very well. I'd take this over a Nomad any day. The new Nomads (VPP2) are low performers. They either don't pedal well, or they don't decend well.

Agree. The R7 with the Curnutt will leave a Nomad behind on pedaling efficiency and descending, and pretty much all around riding!

Go with the Foes...besides the pedaling aspects, you will have a much nicer, stronger, sexy frame, not some cheap Taiwan assembly line crap you pay way too much money for.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles

Really? I wouldn't know myself, so I'll have to take you word for it.

Still, I'm a bit surprised. I always thought the RS7 was basically a 'short' travel DH bike, while the Nomad was a true AM trail bike. You'd think the RS7 geometry would be really slack compared to the Nomad, but maybe I'm wrong. I had a Bullit and compared to the Heckler (great climber), it was a real pr!ck to climb on. I can't imagine the RS7 being any better climbing than the Bullit, it is phatter, and has more travel, nor the Nomad being worse than the Heckler.

Get what I mean? Look, as I said before, I really don't know. I'm in Australia and I've never even seen a Nomad (5k frame) or an RS7 (7k frame), but I have owned a Heckler and Bullit, and it seems to me a fair comparison. I ride a 2:1 FXR now and it's a great all-rounder, but it's spawned from the same branch as the Heckler in the mtb evolutionary tree, not the Bullit, or RS7 presumably. I'd certainly like to believe the RS7 would make an awesome trail bike because I already want one (polished) on looks alone.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 12-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yea i was thinking much the same, short travel dh bikes probly dont climb too well, depends on where you live and ride and fitness tho, ie in lift access area or not, or an area with steep climbs that would be better ridden than pushed,can the frame take a front mech? ive noticed that people in the US and Canada often put up with the extra weight and descending geometry because they (you?) have much longer, worthy trails, here in the UK its not really worth it for a trail bike, but i just got some 180 talas and was thinking of getting a RS7 as a play/alps bike and sticking the 180s on (i know i spoil myself), justification is now having all the spare parts but no frame! again. Anyway im probly going to get 1 whatever pedaling will be like, the descending WILL be good. And my lovely will understand.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    Really? I wouldn't know myself, so I'll have to take you word for it.

Still, I'm a bit surprised. I always thought the RS7 was basically a 'short' travel DH bike, while the Nomad was a true AM trail bike. You'd think the RS7 geometry would be really slack compared to the Nomad, but maybe I'm wrong. I had a Bullit and compared to the Heckler (great climber), it was a real pr!ck to climb on. I can't imagine the RS7 being any better climbing than the Bullit, it is phatter, and has more travel, nor the Nomad being worse than the Heckler.

Get what I mean? Look, as I said before, I really don't know. I'm in Australia and I've never even seen a Nomad (5k frame) or an RS7 (7k frame), but I have owned a Heckler and Bullit, and it seems to me a fair comparison. I ride a 2:1 FXR now and it's a great all-rounder, but it's spawned from the same branch as the Heckler in the mtb evolutionary tree, not the Bullit, or RS7 presumably. I'd certainly like to believe the RS7 would make an awesome trail bike because I already want one (polished) on looks alone.
    Really.

Nomads pedal very poorly, unless you set them up super stiff - in which case their travel suffers.

VPP (which no longer exists, but thats another conversation) is highly overrated.

As far as comparing the single pivot Santa Cruz's to Foes is concerned, again - Foes pedal much much better, while still being able to use their travel.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i had a RS7 last year with a Curnutt Air and it pedaled pretty damn well. the pedaling platform in the Curnutt made the chore easy and it was surprisingly pretty stiff too. if the bike had a bit more travel, i wouldnt have sold it

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Deadatbirth is right. The RS 7 pedals really well. When my other bike was out of order, I even took the RS7 for short cycle tours with my family and it always was easy to pedal. The Curnutt shock with the platform does its work pretty well.