Trail Rider
    Apr 2007

Help me choose my Foes!

I have been interested in Foes for a couple of years now. This year, I am going to buy my first one.
    But I need help choosing. I knew this would be the place to help.
    I am looking for a trial bike that I can do a race or 24 hour on. I will build it up with light components, I would like to get it around 26 pounds??
    I live in PA and ride alot of differnt terrain. We have it all from tight, twisty single track, technical with rock gardens, roots, drops and DH. I am not going to do any freeride or DH!
    I want a bike that I can do some serious trail riding with, and turn around and do a race the next weekend.
    I might even set it up as a 69er. Has anyone atempted this. It is an awsome concept!
    I guess I am looking at a xct-4 or xct-5?
    I asked Foes about weight, and there is only .10 of a pound diferance between a 4 and a 5.
    I will definatly get it with a Curnutt Air.
    Help me out guys!
    One more thing, can I run a 2.35 on the rear of these bikes?

mtbr member

Not super light

MBA had a test of the of the 2:1 prolite that didn't get below 26 lbs with full xtr and all things light so your weight target might be too low. My experience with my 3 Foes bikes I've had over the last 8 years(Weasel,Fly,FXR) is that they aren't light, but they pedal light. I rode my Fly as my only bike for a year and a half and I took it on several 4-6000 ft climbs with close to 30 miles on some of them, and I've never been a very strong rider. My FXR is an 07 with a steel Curnutt built with carbon bar/post, King hubs/headset, Racefave Turbine cranks, frog pedals, Hope M4, sub 700g tires with 100g tubes and it weighs close to 33 lbs, but it climbs better than a sub 29 lb 5" Ventana Ciclon but not as well as a 5 Spot, epiphany or 4" El Rey so don't get too wound up about weight. Foes is supposed to be having a Demo ride close by on the 15th, if you have not pulled the trigger by then I'll try to remember to post my impression of the XCT5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Go with the XCT-5

Build a XCT-5 with lightweight components. It will be about 29lbs and you will be happier than a pig in shat.

Not to sure about the 69er concept on a FOES though. It may screw up the handling a little which is one of the reasons we ride a FOES. I myself try to keep my sex life separate from my mountain biking.

I built my FXR with all XTR and CK with a Fox 36 Float(the lightest of the 36's) and I could only get it to 31lbs.

Inside joke time- What ever you do, don't forget the seatpost that goes up and down.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't know if that is as light as it can get and be reasonably strong. I built my 08 fxr with a 36 talas and it weighs 28 and 4 oz. I just put a 09 36 float on it yesterday and haven't put it on a scale yet but 28 lbs. even is what it should come in at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    I don't know if that is as light as it can get and be reasonably strong. I built my 08 fxr with a 36 talas and it weighs 28 and 4 oz. I just put a 09 36 float on it yesterday and haven't put it on a scale yet but 28 lbs. even is what it should come in at.
    Please give up the component list on that build. I would love to see where I could scrape off a few lbs.

Sorry Wojo, didn't mean to steal your thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    mbernard71, if you look down the the list of threads you will find FINALLY by fxr man, in there is the spec list.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    An XCT 4 would be plenty of bike with a 5" fork. Put $3500 into it, and it should be a well balanced climber/descender.

banned
    Mar 2004
    You could do the XCT 4 with a 5" fork but I've never been fond of of different travel lengths on front and back. With a 5" fork on the XCT 4 you get the about the same head tube angle as an XCT-5....but with only 4 inches of rear travel rather than 5. I'm looking at an XCT 5 for myself plus looking to put a floating brake adapter on it. It will replace my 08 SJ FSR PRO so brake jack is a big issue for me. I've ridden our shops XCT 4 demo and really, really, REALLY like the lateral stiffness and the Curnutt Air shock on it. Probably do it Kawasaki green with a white Fox RLC 120 15 QR...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The XCT 4 has 4.5 inches of travel. I have one with a 4" fork and it is not even feeling. Put a five inch fork and it feels and rides great.

mtbr member

Demoday!

Unfortunatly even getting there early the XCT5 was gone, still gone after the ride and hanging out for 40 minutes after we were done. I took out the XCT4 instead. I wasn't feeling strong but I still managed the 4 mile climb in the middle ring with the rear brake dragging and 2.2 telonix tires so I think it'll kick arse with a better set up and rider.
    DH it was awsome for a 4" bike and those freeridish tires came into there own. I would like to try this bike with a 120 fork to slacken it and match the feel of the rear suspension, a set of 2.4 Nobby Nicks would make it lighter and faster without a traction loss. Fun bike.
    My freind and I were prodding Brent to build a 29r but he has no plans as yet.

mtbr member

Xct 5

Hey man I don't know when you plan on making a decision, but just want to let you know that I have an XCT-5 on order. Should be here soon. I have all the components here anxiously awaiting the build. So should have some initial impressions for you in a couple of weeks *crosses fingers* if you're curious. I've been riding a Specialized Epic for the last 3-4 yrs that I use for XC racing and it weighs @ 26lbs. Based on my calc's of the XCT 5 frame + component weights, I expect the XCT-5 to weigh in @ 30lbs. So should be a good comparison in terms of weight.

Let me know if you're interested.