mtbr member
    May 2005

Help for a F1 XTD front fork

For reasons I will not go into, I am in a position to afford a Foes front fork, the F1 XTD. It should be a no-brainer decision, given how much I love my Fly, but I am having doubts and would like help from anyone, especially owners of the fork, to help me decide. Please don't post with something like get it dude, it rocks!!!!!!!!!! That is too easy. I am looking for detailed info, tips or quirks I would like to know before I buy. My detail so far:

It is not a cost issue, but it does matter. But it is a limited production item, so how are parts availability? Do the seals and wipers wear out fast, in wet weather, and if so are they easy to get and replace yourself? Is the hub okay. (I bought Razor Rock hubs for my Dare years ago, guess where they are now). Is it easy to do an oil change and bushing change; do the bushings need changing often? Do you find the backs of the stanchions scratch easily or dent easily with rocks? What it is it like with flex.......you get my point.

I am only asking this for this reason: at the cost level, it had better work, and better than ANYTHING out there. I have my Monster T dialled in for me and it is plush and ramps up when i need it. But parts for it are easy to find, simple to do and it is relatively problem free. I am asking if it is so with the F1 XTD. Not that I don't trust Foes, but with a limited production item there is always the risk they will stop making it and I will be hooped. I have no issue with using the Monster, so it is no loss for me, but the fact you must use their hub, their rotor their seals... Help convince me guys, especially from those who own one. Thanks for the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what model fly do you have? i'm pretty sure the front end of the old fly interferes with the giant stanchion tubes on the f1 xtd, strongly reducing the turning radius. it mounts well on the new fly, though. do you even have a fly? i may have read that in another thread, or i'm making it up. in any case, make sure it will give an adequate turning radius on your bike. as to your other questions, i don't know, since i've only parking-lot tested it. it's gonna be hard getting real-world feedback from people, but have you tried calling foes and talking to chris about it? he's totally honest about what they sell and what kinds of riders are right for their products- he won't bs you about how bombproof the seals and bushings are if they actually wear out every 2 months. also, make sure you get it from a shop that has a good working relationship with foes- i recommend pasadena cyclery (specifically, matt at pasadena cyclery), since he's known brent and the crew for years. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a 03 Fly with an 06 on the way. I am from the Shore so the bikes and forks are not that common here. I am not worried, but with the fork being so exotic and thus having parts be scarce, and cost, I am somewhat cautious, but I will call them this week. It is not a matter of IF it is good for me, but whether the long term issues are a factor, as here on the Shore, if anything has a weak point, this environment will find it, fast, and when you least expect it. I will look into the shop and see if they will sell me one.

Thanks again.

mtbr member

Had it for a year or so

I have an xtd on a 2003 fly. Been using it for about a year or so. no problems as of yet, seals are still holding, etc. I use the bike for everything, from small drops (5-6') and jumps to trail riding. I probably spend about 3-4 hours a week riding it. It is heavy, and you'll want the Ti spring to save some weight. The fork has a very different damping to it. It will take a while for it to break in. The hub has held up so far, the bearings a smooth.

I think parts shouldn't be too much an issue, because Foes can always make more.

Call foes and talk to them...

good luck

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks bro. Can you compare it to,say, a Monster T or other Marzocchi fork for comparison? I am not doubting the quality but would like a reference frame to work with. I am extremely pleased with my Monster (I play around with oil height, viscosity, preload and cartridge characteristics) and despite the weight penalty love it. I would love to get a Ti spring upgrade for it, but we will see. I am only worried in that 3 years the fork is change, cancelled or whatever, and the crucial parts are no longer made or available. The Monster on the other hand, is a common fork and parts are easy to find. You see my point.......

My mind is not made up yet, but if more could respond I would greatly appreciate it. I have never seen one and no shop here on the Shore carries one, either.

mtbr member
    I say get an 888. If you love the Monster the 888 is just a light Monster. I have not riddent the XTD. No matter, I bet the XTD is sweet.

mtbr member
    I think the XTD is similar in heft to the Monster T, I believe the outer legs on the XTD are at least 50mm, the inner legs are at least 40mm. The crowns are way built. Very stout. I have ridden a Monster T in the past, long time ago, and 888's recently. I know that those forks were not tuned for me and my style.

The XTD were not as plush on little bumps when you are going slow, and the XTD won't dive underbreaking like a 888 or something. I think with an XTD, the faster you go, the smoother it gets. And the rougher it is, the better the fork works.

One thing about the XTD is that the takeoff and landing from jumps. It reacts differently than other forks. If your weight is too far forward, the fork sucks up the jump and won't throw you, just pops you in the air. If you pull up, it handles normally (in a different way), and the landing is like on a pillow.

It is a different fork. It is hard to compare to anything else because there is nothing else like it.

If I could name the differences, it would not be the true differences.
    If I could explain the feel of the fork, it would be the true feel.

Either find one at a race and try it, or buy it sight unseen (as I did).
    I am happy.

mtbr member
    XTD on an old fly.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would like to thank all who posted, but after some deliberation I decided to NOT get the F1 XTD. It is not for reasons of cost or quality, but at this level even the smallest details make a difference...... I found the fact the rotor is specific to be a bit tough to deal with. Here on the Shore parts like rotors tend to get banged up, and the fact I could possibly damage it beyond repair is genuinely real, and the fact only Foes has it and not the LBS is a pain. Related to this, being a rare fork, parts are not off the shelf items. The Monster T, which I have perfectly dialled for me, is easy to work on, to replace parts and easy to find parts (most local shops have seal kits and wipers). I cannot say that for the fork. Whats more, at the cost level, the fork is almost a work of art. Parts, especially the lowers of the forks, get damaged here from the roots, rocks and logs, and this is a fact of life. A small scratch on a lower of a Monster is no big deal, but on the F1 it would be a crisis. The riding could suffer as one could become paranoid about severe damage/crashes. It sounds silly, but I would prefer to not have that and only enjoy the ride. I have only seen one new 06 Fly, and the way the hydroforming is done the front bulges exactly where the stanchions will be. I am not sure the turning radius will be the best and the ability to make tight turns is critical. I know I am nitpicking, but at the cost and rarity, this has to be considered.

This, of course, does not mean I do not love Foes or my Fly. Far from it . I am eagerly awaiting my new 06 to breathe new life into my bike. But frames and custom forks are two different things with two different sets of issues and for me, I can buy a lot of spare parts and upgrades with the money.

But an awesome fork nevertheless. But if my lottery ticket were ever to pay off.........

mtbr member
    Good decision.

I think you need a 8" travel fork on the 06 Fly though. I have found the 8" 888 feels a lot better than the 7" Super T I had awhile back. The Monster is a great fork but it only has 7" and isnt as balanced with 9" in the back.

Are you going to run the FLY in 9" or 8"?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    I would like to thank all who posted, but after some deliberation I decided to NOT get the F1 XTD. It is not for reasons of cost or quality, but at this level even the smallest details make a difference...... I found the fact the rotor is specific to be a bit tough to deal with. Here on the Shore parts like rotors tend to get banged up, and the fact I could possibly damage it beyond repair is genuinely real, and the fact only Foes has it and not the LBS is a pain. Related to this, being a rare fork, parts are not off the shelf items. The Monster T, which I have perfectly dialled for me, is easy to work on, to replace parts and easy to find parts (most local shops have seal kits and wipers). I cannot say that for the fork. Whats more, at the cost level, the fork is almost a work of art. Parts, especially the lowers of the forks, get damaged here from the roots, rocks and logs, and this is a fact of life. A small scratch on a lower of a Monster is no big deal, but on the F1 it would be a crisis. The riding could suffer as one could become paranoid about severe damage/crashes. It sounds silly, but I would prefer to not have that and only enjoy the ride. I have only seen one new 06 Fly, and the way the hydroforming is done the front bulges exactly where the stanchions will be. I am not sure the turning radius will be the best and the ability to make tight turns is critical. I know I am nitpicking, but at the cost and rarity, this has to be considered.

This, of course, does not mean I do not love Foes or my Fly. Far from it . I am eagerly awaiting my new 06 to breathe new life into my bike. But frames and custom forks are two different things with two different sets of issues and for me, I can buy a lot of spare parts and upgrades with the money.

But an awesome fork nevertheless. But if my lottery ticket were ever to pay off.........
    Dude,

I totally wouldn't worry about this fork holdin up in the "shore."

Katana forgot to mention that he lives in Oakland!

That Fly of his has been through countless drive-by's - muggings and bike jacking attempts.

Just the other day his bike got hit up for some "spare change" - while out hitting the jumps up in JM.

You want to talk about dangerous conditions? Try riding your bike while being forced to listen to Easy E blaring from some dudes beat box while getting shot at and dodging gang bangers weilding shivs!

That fork will hold up to anything!

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention all that stuff about the hood here in oakland.... You did forget to mention that the fork stopped a 9mm slug that was heading right for my tire.....that would have really sucked - total waste of a tire...

Also, if your worried about spares, just order a couple xtra rotors when you get the fork (I did). Also, it is a good balance for the curnutt rear shock...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I forgot to mention all that stuff about the hood here in oakland.... You did forget to mention that the fork stopped a 9mm slug that was heading right for my tire.....that would have really sucked - total waste of a tire...
    Tru dat!

Good thing you got them custom carbon fiber fork leg protectors from Judd!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Actually, it is not the amount but quality of travel that matters. I took apart a 888 and I was not impressed. It uses a retaining ring for the preload, and most I have seen show the black stanchions beginning to rub off the anodizing after use, right around the seal area and the first 2 inches of travel. That cannot be good. Marzocchi has put so much effort into this fork that the 2 forks they already have, the Shiver and Monster, get no push from them but Marzocchi still makes them. And my Monster gets just shy of 8 inches. The 7 inch versions stopped in 02

I am not sure about the rear travel option. I have 2 springs to choose from, and in whatever position feels best, that I will use. I will let you know.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I understand this all. I guess that I have to balance out what I want with what I need. I would love the fork, and I am not totally against it, but at the cost I am somewhat leery that the fork could be discontinued (possible, but unlikely) and the factors others overlook (ease of maintainence, parts availability and cost) all are things I look for. I am not questioning the fork will not be beyond excellent, but as the old saying goes "the more complicated it gets, the easier it is to bring down".

Don't totally count it out though.