Thread: FXR Sizing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

FXR Sizing

I am 6'3" 185 lbs and I currently ride a XL Santa Cruz Blur LT for Trail, and a Large Santa Cruz Bullit for Free Ride. I am consolidating bikes and I was considering getting a Large Foes FXR set up for all mountain. I am concerned about this bike feeling too small for me. I have heard from a lot of people who are 6' or under about how it fits them. Anyone out there my height riding a large who can comment? Thanks for the help!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by benmtb44
    I am 6'3" 185 lbs and I currently ride a XL Santa Cruz Blur LT for Trail, and a Large Santa Cruz Bullit for Free Ride. I am consolidating bikes and I was considering getting a Large Foes FXR set up for all mountain. I am concerned about this bike feeling too small for me. I have heard from a lot of people who are 6' or under about how it fits them. Anyone out there my height riding a large who can comment? Thanks for the help!
    I'm 6'4" and ride a large. I use a 90 mil stem and specialized command post. The command post has a little set back to help with extension.

It's a great bike. The Curnutt Air is very plush and very adjustable. It lacks somewhat on the small bumps. I am currently testing out a DHX coil to see how it compares.

Highly reccomend based on build quality and ride.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks very much. Do you do some long days on the bike? I am going to be on some 6+ hour rides with lots of climbing. I am going to run an 160 mm adjustable fork on the front. Do you have a similar set up? I would also be curious to hear how you like the DHX vs the Curnutt.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Thanks very much. Do you do some long days on the bike? I am going to be on some 6+ hour rides with lots of climbing. I am going to run an 160 mm adjustable fork on the front. Do you have a similar set up? I would also be curious to hear how you like the DHX vs the Curnutt.
    Absolutely.

I have the bike built up to around 32 pounds - currently with a Fox 36 Float. Lots of big rides - I am looking to test the DHX out for more "freeride" stuff. Sometime we shuttle a bit.

I've ridden the FXR on everything from 40 mile xc rides, to Moab to Downieville etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are you just hoping to get better small bump compliance with the DHX, or do you have issues with the Air shock bottoming out?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Are you just hoping to get better small bump compliance with the DHX, or do you have issues with the Air shock bottoming out?
    I only have one ride on the DHX so can't make a good comparison.

I haven't had any issues with the air shock bottoming - if feels bottomless. It's super tuneable. You can adjust the pedal platform separate from the air pressure - and you can tune the bottom out separate from the air pressure as well.

Simply put - it's an air shock and for downhill shuttles, I'd like to atleast test out a coil over to see what if any benefits there may be.

For all around riding the Curnutt is great.

The other option is the Curnutt coil which also feels very good - and if you're looking to have just one shock, this may be your best bet.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I think that settles it. I am going to go with the Large Foes FXR. I will write back and let you know how I like it. It may take me a month or two to get it all built up. Any recommendations on build? I was going to go with a double in the front rather than a triple. I am deciding between the Magura Wotan, and the Fox Talas. Right now I am leaning towards the Wotan. I have ridden one and it is so plush, although it does weigh almost a pound more.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Well I think that settles it. I am going to go with the Large Foes FXR. I will write back and let you know how I like it. It may take me a month or two to get it all built up. Any recommendations on build? I was going to go with a double in the front rather than a triple. I am deciding between the Magura Wotan, and the Fox Talas. Right now I am leaning towards the Wotan. I have ridden one and it is so plush, although it does weigh almost a pound more.
    I had the Wotan on mine for a few months and liked it - but it wasn't any better than the Fox and weighed quite at bit more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FXR Sizing-dsc01744.jpg  

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good to know. Maybe it will be the talas after all. How about wheels. I was going to go with the DT Swiss ex 1750s. Any thoughts? Do you like the command post? I was looking at that or the Joplin. Also, have you ever run tubeless? If so, how did you have it set up?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Good to know. Maybe it will be the talas after all. How about wheels. I was going to go with the DT Swiss ex 1750s. Any thoughts? Do you like the command post? I was looking at that or the Joplin. Also, have you ever run tubeless? If so, how did you have it set up?
    I don't have experience with those wheels. I built up Stans STR Flows for mine - with a very light build. I have another set of wheels for thrashing on.

I had nothing but trouble with the Crank Bro's post. They are garbage - but I need the set back - so I went with the Command Post over the various other options (gravity dropper, etc).

So far so good on the Command Post. It slipped a couple times on a ride - but it hasn't been a big issue as it only happened on that one ride.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I will need the set back too, and you are not the first person I have hear of who has issues with the crank brothers. I guess it will be the Command Post or the KS i900-r. I have heard good things about both of those now. I hear that Gravity Dropper is the most reliable, but with no set back I loose a full half inch of adjustment back.

I can get a smoking good deal on the DT 1750 wheels, but it seems that a few people have had bad luck with these. Maybe I will just have to get some wheels built as well. Maybe I will have Dave Thomas build me some. Everyone seems to love the work he does. I should have my frame next week.