mtbr member

FXR got some excersize today.

I took the FXR out for a short loop today at this little trail system close buy, fun spot.
    I also picked up some Hope M4s for it after the ride so I'm excited to have some replacements for the iffy juicy 3s I've been running.
    The close up over the TT is supposed to show yesterdays destination (a doppler radar ball) but I'm a crappy photog. a little profile from the same angle and then the fun little ridgetop I had the pleasure to run right after the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slowrider; 01-05-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: remove bad pic & add text

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You lucky chap, looks like great trails, looks like a great bike too, They do look good in black.Is that the Black Stallion?

mtbr member

Nope

Haven't read anything from that guy in a while, thankfully I do feel lucky when much of the Northern hemisphere is under snow. This is actually my favorite time of year to ride when the rain stays away because it's too hot in the hills during the summer.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    I put some M4s on my FXR a while ago. One of my better moves. One finger all the time. In fact I've come close to going OTB being used to my old Hayes and grabbing too much brake. Anywho, they work well although the rear has the Hope howl.

mtbr member

Same trail, different brakes

I was determined to ride today, even after arriving back at the same trail as the above pics and finding 20+ MPH crosswinds that, once on the ridge, felt like it was trying to pull my front wheel out from under me. I really wanted to test my new M4s.
    Well the crosswind preventedme from getting up to a good test speed but I found good modulation and power for low speed handling, but even at the reduced speed the rear brake pumped up? I still havent figured out wat was wrong but the brakes felt so nice I'm going to be working hard to get them right
    Last edited by slowrider; 01-09-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: better pic

mtbr member

Different trail same brake problem.

I tried to reset the pads on my M4s again and ended up with the same issue of brake rub (bad) by the end of the ride. I'll continue to try to get them to run drag free because the power and modulation is great; and the bling is off the charts

local trails rider
    Are you sure it is a problem with brakes and not, for example, hub or dropouts?

mtbr member

Pretty sure.

I've wedged the pads apart 3 times and alligned the calipers each time, I would suspect other things but the bike rolls drag free until reaching the bottom of the first substantial DH. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Are you sure it is a problem with brakes and not, for example, hub or dropouts?

mtbr member

have you tried

bleeding the brakes? Air expands when things heat up, much faster than fluid...
    Just a thought..

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    bleeding the brakes? Air expands when things heat up, much faster than fluid...
    Just a thought..
    Something is not letting them retract such as air mentioned above or maybe something in the lines or calipers that is expanding. I can drag mine for 20 minutes and as soon as I let go they retract.

mtbr member

Good the hear

I'll have to bleed them. Thanks for the help
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman
    Something is not letting them retract such as air mentioned above or maybe something in the lines or calipers that is expanding. I can drag mine for 20 minutes and as soon as I let go they retract.