mtbr member

FXR fork choices, help, please

I am building up a 2003 FXR. It has been modified with the later rear end and has been gone through recently by Foes as well as a new paint job by them. Which fork should I run? Pretty broad question, I know. Here is what I am used to,

Racer X with a Talas set at 130mm. Doesn't handle real well which is why I am doing the FXR.
    A typical Saturday ride is in the 30 to 50 mile range covering fire roads and singletrack.
    I don't do any big hit stuff but like rough singletrack and fast fire road downhill. The forks I am considering are the Float 150 and the 140 Vanilla. The Vanilla is in there for the coil spring front end. The FXR has the ti spring Curnutt. I am open to other suggestions that don't break the bank.

I am trying to stay around 30 pounds which is where the build is now with the Talas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had pikes on mine for a while, worked v well, i like the 20mm bolt through forks tho.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input on the Pike. I decided to go with the Float 150 with the 15mm through axle. Works great and total build came in at a hair over 30 pounds. Now if I could just figure out how to resize a picture to meet the size requirements here...FXR fork choices, help, please-fxr.jpg
    Last edited by big matt; 04-25-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add picture

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by big matt
    Thanks for the input on the Pike. I decided to go with the Float 150 with the 15mm through axle. Works great and total build came in at a hair over 30 pounds. Now if I could just figure out how to resize a picture to meet the size requirements here...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fxr.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	538769
    looks awesome! What color is that?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    It is kind of like a burnt red brown metallic. It was powder coated by Foes a couple months ago when they redid the Curnutt and put the new swingarm on. It is one of their custom colors.

Now just gotta get the fit right. It is quite a change from my Racer X...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Good choice for the fork. My 04 with 05 swing arm had a 150 mm manitou nixon that seemed to be very balanced front and rear. I now run a 160 float on my 08 and love it. Your bike looks very nice, enjoy the ride!!

mtbr member
    RockShox Recon 351 Coil U-Turn 80mm to 135mm
    67siia
    Yeti 575
    Foes FXR 4X
    WalGoose 29er 1x7

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That does look great.

mtbr member
    Thanks fellas! I love the fork and the bike does just about everything I want. It's a bit heavier than my Racer X but still climbs well. The main thing I have learned is not to use the brakes.

I did cartwheel down a hill and bed my bars so I put a Race Face Atlas and a Thomson stem on it. Best mountain bike I have ever owned. I had my Titus for 7 years and never got a comment on it. Every ride someone gives me the thumbs up or wants to know about the FXR. I don't have the heart to tell them its a 2003!