mtbr member
    Mar 2007

FXR Curnutt Spring weight

Hi

I'm buying a secondhand 2007 FXR and I weigh about 220lbs in full riding kit.

I'm confused as to what spring rate I should be running.

I emailed FOES and they said 300lbs, the bike comes with a 350lb spring (and the previous owner was about 200lbs weight too)

...yet some people on here use a 400lb spring for that weight!

Can anyone with an FXR (2:1) let me know what rate they're running for their weight?

thanks

Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Dan, I weigh 200lbs in kit and use a 300lb spring. For me it does feel pretty firm, but I have been advised against going any lower.

The bike originally had 350lb, (direct from Foes). But my post Christmas diet worked well, so decided to go for a lighter spring. I can't say it fell a huge amount different really.

How's that for a wishy washy answer??

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi

Thanks for the reply! Do you get full travel with the 300lbs spring?

My 350lb only lets me use about 55% of travel it seems, despite having the bottom out chamber at a minimum pressure!

It seems odd in that some people suggest 300, other 350 for our sort of weight!?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Dan,

I do find the spring firm, but I think that's how it's meant to be. In terms of travel, it's a bit hard to say as I have never really had a good look at the stroke shaft after a ride to see where the dirt is. I would guess I am getting around 60-70% though. It is also worth pointing out that I think the o-ring in my shock is the older type and it could be causing stiction. I left it with Jamie at Balfa today to check it over and service it for me.

As I said previously I did not notice a huge amount of difference between the 300 and 350lb, but have never tried a 250lb.

Jamie does seem pretty knowledgeable when it came to most aspects of the Curnutt shock, it may be worth seeing what he recommends, from the Foes website 200lb rider weight is the very upper limit for the 300lb shock.

I am hoping when mine comes back it will be a bit smoother, there is a clunk in there at the moment and it does not feel as plush as it should.

Will keep you updated!

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by drussellwilks
    The bike originally had 350lb, (direct from Foes). But my post Christmas diet worked well, so decided to go for a lighter spring. I can't say it fell a huge amount different really.
    hi, do you still have the 350lbs Ti curnutt spring? i'd very much like to purchase it from you if you're interested.

i'm 210lbs and using a 400lbs RCS Ti spring, as it was the only one i could find here in australia. the bike came with a used 300lbs Ti spring. although i never used it i'm quite sure i would've bottomed it out. i regularly use 4/5 of the travel with the 400lbs spring whilst trail riding (i don't do big jumps), so i'm happy with that. however, i would love to try the 350, as it's closer to the foes recommended spring weight, even though you said didn't really notice any difference dropping 50lbs.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Mongy,

I am happy to sell the spring but it's Steel not Titanium, when I bought the bike Foes had no stock of the Ti ones so I had to use the steel instead.

If you are interested let me know, but I can fully appreciate if it's not quite what you want.

Many thanks

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    hhmmmm... ok. yeah, i kinda was after Ti, but steel is ok. what's it worth?

mtbr member

Riding style?

I'm 200# ready to ride which, according to the Foes spring chart, is on the border between 250 and 300# spring. I bought the bike used with the 250# spring but the suspension felt harsh on small bumps and I had no idea how long it had been since it had been rebuilt. I decided to send it to Foes for a rebuild with a request to make as plush as they can. When they sent it back the note in the box said there had been no evidence of excessive bottoming so I should keep the 250# spring and that they had done 4 things to make it plush, and it worked.
    I think your a solid 300# spring rider but if you plan on doing big drops on a regular basis you may consider the 350. I'm more of a XC rider who needs more suspension to protect my bad shoulders and I like a plush bike, which may explain my lighter spring. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi M0ngy

Out of interest, could you tell me the dimensions//internal diameter/ details of the RCS Ti spring you used?

If I do need a 350lb one after all it'd be good to know in order to try to source one.

Many thanks

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    hey, it's a 300lbs Ti spring, not 350. it's from a curnutt XTD shock and is noticably skinnier, with less coils, than my 400lbs Ti spring. please note i am not a spring expert and may not employ the pro vernacular regarding dimensions... also i'm an aussie an we use the metric system, 'cause it makes sense!

RCS 300lbs Ti Curnutt spring dimensions
    width (outside - outside): 62mm
    internal width (inside - inside): 44mm
    overall length: 156mm
    coil spacing (between coils) : 55mm

1 inch = 25.4mm
    hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey M0ngy

Thanks mate, that's great (and yeah being relatively young I work in metric too! ... my dad's a furlong, feet and inches man though... )

cheers

Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi m0ngy, I sent you a private message yesterday regarding the steel spring, let me know if you are interested?

Many thanks