mtbr member
    Sep 2005

FXR Bottom Bracket height

I am demoing a 2010 FXR. Really nice bike, but the only thing that is bothersome is the low bottom bracket height. When peddaling throug rocks and short rocky climbs, the cranks arms were always hitting the rocks. The demo had Fox Float 150 on it, and I would most likely put a Fox 36 Talas.

Is this an issue with anyone else?

Thanks!

mtbr member

It happens

But the low center of gravity works so well in corners that I'll live with the low BB.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Been riding an FXR for almost two years and occaisionally little rocks might fly up and hit the BB or down tube, but they never do any damage. Never, once, has the BB actually bashed into large rocks still on the ground. If you have a problem with hitting big rocks on the trail, I'd suggest you simply avoid them by choosing a better line. Now, does the FXR hold it's line, does it rail? Better than any other 6" trailbike out there!
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's not the shell height actually, but what it does to the crank arms when you pedal. Unfortunately, there are no really better lines, just a real rocky trail that you would need to loft the front end up and over while pedalling. I'm just hoping that with 160 fork it will help it out vs. the 150 that is on the demo bike.

And yes, it rail the corners really well.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainCycler
    It's not the shell height actually, but what it does to the crank arms when you pedal. Unfortunately, there are no really better lines, just a real rocky trail that you would need to loft the front end up and over while pedalling. I'm just hoping that with 160 fork it will help it out vs. the 150 that is on the demo bike.

And yes, it rail the corners really well.
    The FXR does have a relatively low bottom bracket - and that's one of the reasons I prefer it over many other bikes.

The bike handles better because of it - it corners better and is more stable.

Yes, it's more likely that you'll smack your pedals - and that is a trade off.

Look at the geometry of top downhill bikes and you'll notice they all have really low BB's. This is for a reason - going fast.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong