Dirt Rag Extraordinaire

FXR 2:1 main pivot maintenance

I was wondering what kind of regular maintenance (if any) I should perform on the main pivot of my 06 FXR 2:1.

Previously, I had an older model Heckler (04) which had some problems caused from a lack of main pivot maintenance/inspection. I acknowledge the FXR is a very different animal, with it's over-engineered design and swingarm re-inforcement, but the problem with the Heckler did not become noticable until it was too late, the frame was already damaged.

Obviously, the sealed bearings should be checked every now and then, but is that it?

Should I try and put some grease in there after every X hours of riding, or would that just attract abrasive material?

Cheers for your help.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 09-19-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy
    I was wondering what kind of regular maintenance (if any) I should perform on the main pivot of my 06 FXR 2:1.

Previously, I had an older model Heckler (04) which had some problems caused from a lack of main pivot maintenance/inspection. I acknowledge the FXR is a very different animal, with it's over-engineered design and swingarm re-inforcement, but the problem with the Heckler did not become noticable until it was too late, the frame was already damaged.

Obviously, the sealed bearings should be checked every now and then, but is that it?

Should I try and put some grease in there after every X hours of riding, or would that just attract abrasive material?

Cheers for your help.
    Mongy, I am on my third Foes and have never had to do a single thing to the main pivots. This is a perfect case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." You'd be better served by removing the rear shock and checking the suspension for play or friction - but don't take the main pivot apart and rebuild it unless it really needs it.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    It's funny you mention checking the shock because that's exactly where the damage was caused with the Heckler. The shock mounts were rounded-out from a small amount of play in the main pivot. Doesn't sound like much, but even a 1 mil gap between the shock mounting hardware and the frame causes a hellishly annoying little knock everytime you hit something. Apparenlty, this is a pretty common Heckler problem, and Santa Cruz has been at pains to address the issue with the latest revision.

How often do you pull your Foes frames apart to check the bearings?

How often do you get the Curnutt serviced? Do you think it's much smoother or offers better small bump compliance after servicing? I've probably done about 100 hours of riding on this FXR, I bought the frame second-hand for a good price. The seller told me he'd just recently had the shock serviced. Ha, they all say that, don't they.

Cheers mate
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    It's funny you mention checking the shock because that's exactly where the damage was caused with the Heckler. The shock mounts were rounded-out from a small amount of play in the main pivot. Doesn't sound like much, but even a 1 mil gap between the shock mounting hardware and the frame causes a hellishly annoying little knock everytime you hit something. Apparenlty, this is a pretty common Heckler problem, and Santa Cruz has been at pains to address the issue with the latest revision.
    The DU Bushings (as you may know) are a wear item but if not changed soon after you notice the play then the reducers get buggered then you're on the hook to replace both. Then if you completely neglect it (like a fellow riding partner did) then you bugger up the shock eyelet.

Crazed Country Rebel

How often do you pull your Foes frames apart to check the bearings?

How often do you get the Curnutt serviced? Do you think it's much smoother or offers better small bump compliance after servicing? I've probably done about 100 hours of riding on this FXR, I bought the frame second-hand for a good price. The seller told me he'd just recently had the shock serviced. Ha, they all say that, don't they.

Cheers mate
    on my 2005 fxr I had to rebuild the scissor link a couple time over the course of 4 years. I replaced the DU bushing in the shock once, when it developed slop.

I would pull the scissor link apart maybe once a year and check the bearings - leave the main bearing alone, unless you're getting noise, friction or play.

Foes would like you to send your shock in once a year or so - but once again, unless you're having an issue - I say just ride it!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    HI all i have just got a 06 foes fxr off ebay.the guy said it had been serviced by BELFA UK.so i rang them up becous the shock was looseing air PSI.great thing was that if your shock has been serviced by belfa they can track it.Enyway turns out its not been serviced at all and will cost 100 for a full service.good job i sent it to belfa as if i rode the bike as it was it would have damage it more.I will let u know if the shock feels and works better when i get it back.Other than that the lessoin here is dont beleave all whot the seller says GET IT CHECKED OUT.