Thread: Fork for xct 4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Fork for xct 4

Suggestion needed to chose fork for my xct 4. i prefer to have more than 100mm since i'm doing aggresive xc. and the price is not really my concern.
    I narrow my preference with fox f 120rlc and marzocchi xc 700 ata. which one do you guys think would fit best with the frame? or any other fork options should i look at?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The XTC is a very strong and stiff frame. I think the stiffest fork around 100 mm is the new REBA 2009 with 120 mm but you can change the travel to 110 or 100 mm. It has a 20 mm thrue axle (maxtle light) .
    I think is the best choice for you XTC.
    Nuevo disipulo

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    alfonso argote thanks for the advice. I haven't heard about the new reba, but i'll do some research about it on the net. i'm using 2007 reba race on my hardtail recently. it's a good fork but i'm not quiet happy with it's performance. maybe i need some more time to tune the fork so it will perform better.

2008 manitou minute ellite also crossed my mind. it has 120mm travel and thru axle options.

local trails rider
    By the way...
    What is the difference between XCT-4 and XCT-5? They look so similar and the geometry numbers seem to be very close too. Is it just a different shock or are there other things too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    all the same except the susp travel.based on manual we can upgrade 4" travel of xct 4 become 5" anytime without any geometry isues.

local trails rider
    I thought so.

About forks:
    I am no expert, but I'd pick the fork according to the geometry and strength I need. I also prefer riding to playing with fork adjustment

I do not know what fork length the geometry numbers on the Foes website have used, but for XCT-4 the angles look pretty climbing oriented. Personally, I would prefer to make it a little slacker like you are planning to do.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just put a Fox F120RLC on my XCT-4. I'm still dialing it in but so far its worked quite well with the rear setup. I think you really need more than 100mm with this frame.

mtbr member
    No knowledge, but the Magura Durin is getting some good reviews.

banned
    Mar 2004
    Get the new Fox Float QR15. You'll have a lite weight through axle with your choice of 120mm or 140mm.

mtbr member

Marz XC700sl

I like my Talas fork a little bette than my Marz but I wanted a lighter bike and .8lb is a good savings.
    The Marz not perfect but it's light (3.6 lbs) long travel(130mm) adjustable (90-130 infinite) Plush (once you set the pressure 1/3 reccomended and then throw out the Marz manual)
    I'm 200lbs and ride hard, I notice more flex than my Talas but it's not scary. I'd use the Marz for the XCT4.