mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Foes XTD air shock servicing/set up help please.

Hello just bought a second hand new unused Foes XCT 5 2.1 with XTD air shock, I know the shock will need to be broken in but will I need to service the shock before use? If so any place with a step by step walk through?

Seller kindly offered this info

As for the shock, it hasn`t been used, so none knows if it holds air or not in the long term, in the parking lot test it works flawlessly. If you pump in 5ml of high viscosity synthetic gearbox oil into the main air chamber and cycle it a few times when you set it up, it`ll lube the O-rings and seals.

As a mechanical luddite how would I do this/is this a good idea??

Bike when built will be for eldest daughter so any tips on setting up the shock?

Cheers

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicksville View Post
    Hello just bought a second hand new unused Foes XCT 5 2.1 with XTD air shock, I know the shock will need to be broken in but will I need to service the shock before use? If so any place with a step by step walk through?

Seller kindly offered this info

As for the shock, it hasn`t been used, so none knows if it holds air or not in the long term, in the parking lot test it works flawlessly. If you pump in 5ml of high viscosity synthetic gearbox oil into the main air chamber and cycle it a few times when you set it up, it`ll lube the O-rings and seals.

As a mechanical luddite how would I do this/is this a good idea??

Bike when built will be for eldest daughter so any tips on setting up the shock?

Cheers
    I dont see why you need to put oil in the air chamber - but if you must - use approved shock oil.

you dont want to mess up the o-rings and seals.

The wrong oil can ruin the seals.

just make sure you have a minimum 50 PSI in the IFP. Run what ever pressure you want in the main chamber.

These shocks to tend to lose some air over time. Check the pressure once a month or so.

I posted a thread on how to completely tear down and rebuild the shock, if you're so inclined. It's in teh Foes forum.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong