Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008

Foes Shaver - The final rendition

And no, I don't know what it weighs, yet.

mtbr member
    Thank you! I've been wanting some updates on the Shaver for a while now.

mtbr member

Very nice!

Can't wait to see geometry and final price.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman View Post
    And no, I don't know what it weighs, yet.

That thing looks like it will rail corners. Nice slack angles. Hopefully another great seller for Foes. Their Hydro is doing well, too.

Cant wait to see the new FXR when it comes out!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

shaver specs

shaver spec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Shaver - The final rendition-svspec.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin View Post
    shaver spec
    Thanks for the geo's!

Does anyone know the size of the bike in the picture?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    medium

mtbr member
    That looks nice! Thru axle, tapered HT, adj. travel.... Nice job.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Better start saving!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    A lot of those geo numbers look pretty darn good but those crazy long seat tubes are a deal breaker. 18.5" Seat tube on a Med (23" TT) bike meant to be ridden aggressively? Um, no. 17, 17.5" max for a med. The numbers are wrong for the whole range but I ride a Med so it's popping out at me.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    A lot of those geo numbers look pretty darn good but those crazy long seat tubes are a deal breaker. 18.5" Seat tube on a Med (23" TT) bike meant to be ridden aggressively? Um, no. 17, 17.5" max for a med. The numbers are wrong for the whole range but I ride a Med so it's popping out at me.
    They're measured center to top.

Specialized sucks dong

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yeah, Center to Center would not actually be telling of anything on a bike of this style. Any modern mountain bike with a dropped top tube should only be measured Center to Top... Anyway, didn't mean to drop in an come off like a jerk. I've ridden a few bikes with geo like this in recent history and even have a friend who's one of those "all legs" type of builds and both agree that ST's of this length have no place on an AM bike. If you ride "AM", eventually you're going to get into some really steep nasty stuff and without the big travel of a DH bike it becomes even more imperative that you be able to get the seat out of the way. Restated- it's easier to ride a 9" travel DH bike in the steeps with the seat at 18.5" than a 5" travel AM bike with the same seat height. Less suspension soaking things up, more pronounced feeling of the saddle being too high.

That all said, most of the geo looks pretty good. I'd like to see the HT's a little shorter which goes along with the seat tube issue and the general idea of a more compact height for a given TT length/WB, but maybe it's just not the bike for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Yeah, Center to Center would not actually be telling of anything on a bike of this style. Any modern mountain bike with a dropped top tube should only be measured Center to Top... Anyway, didn't mean to drop in an come off like a jerk. I've ridden a few bikes with geo like this in recent history and even have a friend who's one of those "all legs" type of builds and both agree that ST's of this length have no place on an AM bike. If you ride "AM", eventually you're going to get into some really steep nasty stuff and without the big travel of a DH bike it becomes even more imperative that you be able to get the seat out of the way. Restated- it's easier to ride a 9" travel DH bike in the steeps with the seat at 18.5" than a 5" travel AM bike with the same seat height. Less suspension soaking things up, more pronounced feeling of the saddle being too high.

That all said, most of the geo looks pretty good. I'd like to see the HT's a little shorter which goes along with the seat tube issue and the general idea of a more compact height for a given TT length/WB, but maybe it's just not the bike for me.

Err, could you explain to me why the extra inch of seat tube poses a major problem for your style of riding. To me a longer seat tube would support the seat post better (less exposed seat post), adding stiffness to the ride. The seat is still the same height relative to the pedals. I guess I don't see where the rider/bike interference occurs from your perspective in "AM" trail conditions.

Curious George

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think err's point about the seat tube is valid. Compared to most medium frames, particularly those designed for aggressive riding, that's at least an inch less I can drop my saddle to get it out of the way for steep descents. I think most people who buy a medium size mtb don't need so tall a seat tube, while many would appreciate the ability to drop the saddle a bit more. In fact, with a cracked mtb in the garage, I'm looking pretty hard at the shaver as a replacement, but I'm wary of the long seat tube.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    I think err's point about the seat tube is valid. Compared to most medium frames, particularly those designed for aggressive riding, that's at least an inch less I can drop my saddle to get it out of the way for steep descents. I think most people who buy a medium size mtb don't need so tall a seat tube, while many would appreciate the ability to drop the saddle a bit more. In fact, with a cracked mtb in the garage, I'm looking pretty hard at the shaver as a replacement, but I'm wary of the long seat tube.
    Just an FYI. Foes does not have a formal custOm policy, but they will make changes if reasonable.

Being 6'4" I needed a bigger frame than their large. They gave me a longer tt; and custom headtube on my fxr.

Call and talk to them!

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks ihb. Between the obvious quality of the frames and the fact that I live about five miles from Foes, I'm very interested in the shaver. Maybe I'll ride over and talk with them this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does the shaver have guides for a dropper seatpost, or are they available as a custom add on?

mtbr member

?

I wish the TT spread between small and medium was closer together, I fall between those sizes for my perfect size and I'm not certain that it'd work with the stem/bar compromises I'd have to make. Hopefully I'll catch the Foes world tour and have my concerns eased.
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin View Post
    shaver spec

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    :drool:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    That thing looks like it will rail corners. Nice slack angles. Hopefully another great seller for Foes. Their Hydro is doing well, too.

Cant wait to see the new FXR when it comes out!
    Any idea of the changes? back to an adjustable rear suspension?? Any idea on ETA?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Any idea of the changes? back to an adjustable rear suspension?? Any idea on ETA?
    Hello any word on this???

Why would I buy the Shaver over the FXR if they didn't plan on making changes to the FXR? They seem to basically be the same bike.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Hello any word on this???

Why would I buy the Shaver over the FXR if they didn't plan on making changes to the FXR? They seem to basically be the same bike.
    Brent told me the new FXR will be longer travel and adjustable travel. I'd expect something in April.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Ah, okay then the Shaver is essentially replacing the FXR and the FXR will take the place where the Demon was then? When my tree out back blooms again with money I'm looking to get another frame w/ my current '03 FXR.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ah, okay then the Shaver is essentially replacing the FXR and the FXR will take the place where the Demon was then? .
    demon??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    demon = inferno ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast