Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008

Foes Shaver - The final rendition

And no, I don't know what it weighs, yet.

mtbr member
    Thank you! I've been wanting some updates on the Shaver for a while now.

mtbr member

Very nice!

Can't wait to see geometry and final price.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman View Post

That thing looks like it will rail corners. Nice slack angles. Hopefully another great seller for Foes. Their Hydro is doing well, too.

Cant wait to see the new FXR when it comes out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

shaver specs

shaver spec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foes Shaver - The final rendition-svspec.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin View Post
    shaver spec
    Thanks for the geo's!

Does anyone know the size of the bike in the picture?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    medium

mtbr member
    That looks nice! Thru axle, tapered HT, adj. travel.... Nice job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Better start saving!

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    A lot of those geo numbers look pretty darn good but those crazy long seat tubes are a deal breaker. 18.5" Seat tube on a Med (23" TT) bike meant to be ridden aggressively? Um, no. 17, 17.5" max for a med. The numbers are wrong for the whole range but I ride a Med so it's popping out at me.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    A lot of those geo numbers look pretty darn good but those crazy long seat tubes are a deal breaker. 18.5" Seat tube on a Med (23" TT) bike meant to be ridden aggressively? Um, no. 17, 17.5" max for a med. The numbers are wrong for the whole range but I ride a Med so it's popping out at me.
    They're measured center to top.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Yeah, Center to Center would not actually be telling of anything on a bike of this style. Any modern mountain bike with a dropped top tube should only be measured Center to Top... Anyway, didn't mean to drop in an come off like a jerk. I've ridden a few bikes with geo like this in recent history and even have a friend who's one of those "all legs" type of builds and both agree that ST's of this length have no place on an AM bike. If you ride "AM", eventually you're going to get into some really steep nasty stuff and without the big travel of a DH bike it becomes even more imperative that you be able to get the seat out of the way. Restated- it's easier to ride a 9" travel DH bike in the steeps with the seat at 18.5" than a 5" travel AM bike with the same seat height. Less suspension soaking things up, more pronounced feeling of the saddle being too high.

That all said, most of the geo looks pretty good. I'd like to see the HT's a little shorter which goes along with the seat tube issue and the general idea of a more compact height for a given TT length/WB, but maybe it's just not the bike for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Yeah, Center to Center would not actually be telling of anything on a bike of this style. Any modern mountain bike with a dropped top tube should only be measured Center to Top... Anyway, didn't mean to drop in an come off like a jerk. I've ridden a few bikes with geo like this in recent history and even have a friend who's one of those "all legs" type of builds and both agree that ST's of this length have no place on an AM bike. If you ride "AM", eventually you're going to get into some really steep nasty stuff and without the big travel of a DH bike it becomes even more imperative that you be able to get the seat out of the way. Restated- it's easier to ride a 9" travel DH bike in the steeps with the seat at 18.5" than a 5" travel AM bike with the same seat height. Less suspension soaking things up, more pronounced feeling of the saddle being too high.

That all said, most of the geo looks pretty good. I'd like to see the HT's a little shorter which goes along with the seat tube issue and the general idea of a more compact height for a given TT length/WB, but maybe it's just not the bike for me.

Err, could you explain to me why the extra inch of seat tube poses a major problem for your style of riding. To me a longer seat tube would support the seat post better (less exposed seat post), adding stiffness to the ride. The seat is still the same height relative to the pedals. I guess I don't see where the rider/bike interference occurs from your perspective in "AM" trail conditions.

Curious George

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think err's point about the seat tube is valid. Compared to most medium frames, particularly those designed for aggressive riding, that's at least an inch less I can drop my saddle to get it out of the way for steep descents. I think most people who buy a medium size mtb don't need so tall a seat tube, while many would appreciate the ability to drop the saddle a bit more. In fact, with a cracked mtb in the garage, I'm looking pretty hard at the shaver as a replacement, but I'm wary of the long seat tube.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    I think err's point about the seat tube is valid. Compared to most medium frames, particularly those designed for aggressive riding, that's at least an inch less I can drop my saddle to get it out of the way for steep descents. I think most people who buy a medium size mtb don't need so tall a seat tube, while many would appreciate the ability to drop the saddle a bit more. In fact, with a cracked mtb in the garage, I'm looking pretty hard at the shaver as a replacement, but I'm wary of the long seat tube.
    Just an FYI. Foes does not have a formal custOm policy, but they will make changes if reasonable.

Being 6'4" I needed a bigger frame than their large. They gave me a longer tt; and custom headtube on my fxr.

Call and talk to them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks ihb. Between the obvious quality of the frames and the fact that I live about five miles from Foes, I'm very interested in the shaver. Maybe I'll ride over and talk with them this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does the shaver have guides for a dropper seatpost, or are they available as a custom add on?

mtbr member

?

I wish the TT spread between small and medium was closer together, I fall between those sizes for my perfect size and I'm not certain that it'd work with the stem/bar compromises I'd have to make. Hopefully I'll catch the Foes world tour and have my concerns eased.
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackin View Post
    shaver spec

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    :drool:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    That thing looks like it will rail corners. Nice slack angles. Hopefully another great seller for Foes. Their Hydro is doing well, too.

Cant wait to see the new FXR when it comes out!
    Any idea of the changes? back to an adjustable rear suspension?? Any idea on ETA?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    Any idea of the changes? back to an adjustable rear suspension?? Any idea on ETA?
    Hello any word on this???

Why would I buy the Shaver over the FXR if they didn't plan on making changes to the FXR? They seem to basically be the same bike.

locked - time out
    Hello any word on this???

Why would I buy the Shaver over the FXR if they didn't plan on making changes to the FXR? They seem to basically be the same bike.
    Brent told me the new FXR will be longer travel and adjustable travel. I'd expect something in April.

mtbr member
    Ah, okay then the Shaver is essentially replacing the FXR and the FXR will take the place where the Demon was then? When my tree out back blooms again with money I'm looking to get another frame w/ my current '03 FXR.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ah, okay then the Shaver is essentially replacing the FXR and the FXR will take the place where the Demon was then? .
    demon??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    demon = inferno ?

mtbr member
    Whoops ya I meant Inferno....Not sure why I was thinking demon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    one reason not to have too tall of seat tube is that the dropper posts can't drop down as much either, or when the seat is raised up it could be too far up, even when the seat post is all the way in the frame . this would likely only happen with someone who has shorter legs longer torso like me. This will be more noticeable with the newer 150mm travel seat posts. right now I have a large frame(not foes) that has a 19.5in seat tube, and have just under 1in of post showing beneath the seal nut on my 125mm reverb. a 20.5in seat tube would be too tall.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Custom?

Just an FYI. Foes does not have a formal custOm policy, but they will make changes if reasonable.

Being 6'4" I needed a bigger frame than their large. They gave me a longer tt; and custom headtube on my fxr.

Call and talk to them!
    I am almost 6'5" and rode a large Inferno for a while but it was really just too small so I inquired with Foes about the possibility of a larger frame in one of their models or a custom one. The response was they couldnt do either unfortunately because all of the newer bikes are constructed from molds. Such a bummer....

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    I am almost 6'5" and rode a large Inferno for a while but it was really just too small so I inquired with Foes about the possibility of a larger frame in one of their models or a custom one. The response was they couldnt do either unfortunately because all of the newer bikes are constructed from molds. Such a bummer....
    how long ago was this? What model were you looking for? Who did you talk to?

I got a custom XL FXR and it is freeking amazing.

Fragilie
    Was ready to pull the trigger on one of these, but due to crappy customer service my $$$ went to another american bike builder.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Really, not saying you didn't, but since '03 I've been dealing w/ them I never had a bad experience. As with any situation though there are two sides.....

Fragilie
    Really, not saying you didn't, but since '03 I've been dealing w/ them I never had a bad experience. As with any situation though there are two sides.....

Yeah really.... I sent email to Foes customer service asking if any Shavers were still available from the first batch. After three days and no response, I decided to call. Someone took my name and number and said they would check into it. After three days and no response, I said screw it and called Ventana. Bam, no waiting for a response sold me. Two weeks now and still haven't got a call or an email back from Foes. They must be making too much money if there's such a thing.

With that said, what's there side of the "story" a--hole?

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Yeah really.... I sent email to Foes customer service asking if any Shavers were still available from the first batch. After three days and no response, I decided to call. Someone took my name and number and said they would check into it. After three days and no response, I said screw it and called Ventana. Bam, no waiting for a response sold me. Two weeks now and still haven't got a call or an email back from Foes. They must be making too much money if there's such a thing.

what the reason for calling him an "a-hole?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ventana is still in business?

mtbr member

really

I've had nothing but exceptional customer service from Foes, but judging from your reaction to previous responses to your post I'd say Foes is better off without you as a customer. I'd bet that some of the attitude you displayed here came through in your inquiry to Foes and that it had an effect on the level of customer service you experienced.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    I've had nothing but exceptional customer service from Foes, but judging from your reaction to previous responses to your post I'd say Foes is better off without you as a customer. I'd bet that some of the attitude you displayed here came through in your inquiry to Foes and that it had an effect on the level of customer service you experienced.
    Foes has a new customer service guy - "Chris." He is not as good as Jon and Vu. But, he does get the job done.

As always - when dealing with small companies - work with the owner for best service. In this case, ask for Brent. Brent is super cool and will bend over backwards to take care of people. He once overnighted a package of parts for me - at 4pm on a friday, just so I wouldnt miss my ride the next day.

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Haha, whatever you say bud. No attitude here, just wanting to buy a made in the U.S.A frame and Foes was first on the list as I've had one before. I'm was as friendly as can be when I made the inquiry. And why would I throw attitude when doing so anyway. The reason I had attitude towards X FXR was due to his response. Doesn't matter anymore really, I made my purchase and it wasn't a Foes. What got me is the lack of response when trying to buy it, I could only imagine when or if I had a warranty issue. I figured maybe Foes would read my post and make the it known to his people to be a little more assertive when it came to customer service.

mtbr member
    Haha, whatever you say bud. No attitude here, just wanting to buy a made in the U.S.A frame and Foes was first on the list as I've had one before. I'm was as friendly as can be when I made the inquiry. And why would I throw attitude when doing so anyway. The reason I had attitude towards X FXR was due to his response. Doesn't matter anymore really, I made my purchase and it wasn't a Foes. What got me is the lack of response when trying to buy it, I could only imagine when or if I had a warranty issue. I figured maybe Foes would read my post and make the it known to his people to be a little more assertive when it came to customer service.
    To many times I've seen people rail one someone or some company when there is more to the story than what is typed up. That goes for retailers or manufactures. So the statement there are two sides to a story stands. Your response with that attitude just solidifies my experience to a tee. Obviously is does matter or you wouldn't have come back to this thread. If you feel the service you received was poor just talk to Brent, I have but he was answering a question after hours and his customer service was top notch...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Do we have a frame weight or ETA yet?

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth View Post
    Ventana is still in business?
    hahaha...you follow/know Foes but are seriously asking if Ventana is still in business? Really? Maybe your question was a rhetorical one, I hope. Either that or you've been hibernating under a large rock that the Foes warehouse sheds a shadow over so you only know about them.

Sorry. Thought it was a funny 'question'.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    hahaha...you follow/know Foes but are seriously asking if Ventana is still in business? Really? Maybe your question was a rhetorical one, I hope. Either that or you've been hibernating under a large rock that the Foes warehouse sheds a shadow over so you only know about them.

Sorry. Thought it was a funny 'question'.
    i have yet to see a new Ventana here in the east for at least 6+ years. i also cant recall ever seeing one come into my current shop or last shop either.
    ive seen countless more Foes frames then i have ANY Ventana frame....granted they still arent as popular as other boutique companies but still outnumber any Ventana bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman View Post

Is that 140 or 150 mm front shock? I'm trying to debate which front shock to get and size.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Is that 140 or 150 mm front shock? I'm trying to debate which front shock to get and size.
    lol, c'mon man, does 10mm make any difference?
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
    lol, c'mon man, does 10mm make any difference?
    I'm trying to establish what is on the bike given the look and position of the front end. I'm actually looking a Talas 36 4.7-6". So in then it wouldn't be only 10mm difference.

locked - time out
    I'm trying to establish what is on the bike given the look and position of the front end. I'm actually looking a Talas 36 4.7-6". So in then it wouldn't be only 10mm difference.
    what you actually want to know is the axle to crown length of that fork. I'd check manitous website for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So I heard that Foes is gonna be focusing on producing the Shaver and Hydro since that's 90% of their sales and will only be making the other models every 3 months or so. It's understandable from a business perspective but I am just wondering about the future of the FXR and the Curnutt shock. They are already building this Shaver that can't be fitted with a Curnutt shock and focusing on it rather than the FXR. Is the Curnutt just losing it's popularity or what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DrF035 View Post
    Yeah like how X-FXR is saying that the FXR is replacing the Demon, err, Inferno? But I'm mostly wondering about the future of the Curnutt shock because the Shaver can't be equipped with it. At least for AM bikes.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DrF035 View Post
    Pretty sure the Shaver did not replace the FXR. FXR is still being made.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the Shaver did not replace the FXR. FXR is still being made.
    Guess so...
    Last edited by X-FXR; 04-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.