mtbr member

Foes FXR vs Ibis Mojo HD 160

Hey all,
    I've posted this over at the Ibis Forum as well.
    Im looking to buy a new frame for my all-mtn rig. Coming from a Transition Covert 140 i want a frame that can handle all the stuff in SoCal and take it to Mammoth and Tahoe for some lift assisted mayhem. Narrowed it down to really these 2 since i can get a deal on both at my LBS. Single pivot vs DW link ? I cant find the weight of the Foes on their website but the Ibis is 6.3lbs. I figure its prolly around that. I'll be running a Medium. Trying to keep the bike around 32lbs w/xt set up and Fox 36 Float. Flows w/hadleys tubless running Nobby Nics 2.25 Fat Albert 2.4..Weight aside, its the ride quality that matters. Aluminum vs Carbon..2:1 Air vs Special RP23..12x150(foes option) vs 12x135..HA is about the same ..What to do..
    Would love to hear people who own either one and give me your honest opinion or why did you choose the FXR over any other 6" All-Mtn rig..Thanks !

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by cmeride View Post
    Hey all,
    I've posted this over at the Ibis Forum as well.
    Im looking to buy a new frame for my all-mtn rig. Coming from a Transition Covert 140 i want a frame that can handle all the stuff in SoCal and take it to Mammoth and Tahoe for some lift assisted mayhem. Narrowed it down to really these 2 since i can get a deal on both at my LBS. Single pivot vs DW link ? I cant find the weight of the Foes on their website but the Ibis is 6.3lbs. I figure its prolly around that. I'll be running a Medium. Trying to keep the bike around 32lbs w/xt set up and Fox 36 Float. Flows w/hadleys tubless running Nobby Nics 2.25 Fat Albert 2.4..Weight aside, its the ride quality that matters. Aluminum vs Carbon..2:1 Air vs Special RP23..12x150(foes option) vs 12x135..HA is about the same ..What to do..
    Would love to hear people who own either one and give me your honest opinion or why did you choose the FXR over any other 6" All-Mtn rig..Thanks !
    I owned a Mojo for about a month before dropping it and going back to Foes.

Backstory: I had been riding a Foes FXR between 2004 and 2008. I finally cracked the Foes and had it repaired and began looking for a replacement.

I bought a Mojo used off of mtbr for cheap. you can read my review here Don't Panic, It's Organic!

I ended up dropping it because it was carbon and because of the geometry. The Ibis has a higher bottom bracket and steeper angles than the Foes. It felt like a heavy duty XC bike. What I was used to was a light DH bike (Foes).

Now I am back on Foes and digging it.

Regarding pedalling - both will do great - as long as you get the Curnutt shock. I can't vouch for the Fox on the Foes, but I wouldn't count on it.

Suspension performance is great on both.

Foes will be sturdier - these are not light bikes. The frame is probably 8 pounds. I've had mine as light as 31 pounds in a size large - but it's usually around 33.

Foes has better DH geometry. Lower BB and slacker angles.

You really need to test ride these before buying. They are very different bikes.

Also - DW link is not the best for climbing in chunk. It is very good at smooth fire road climbs - but the Foes does better at technical climbs.

My current FXR and old Ibis are below.

Summary

Ibis is lighter, better at sustained climbs

Foes is better at technical climbs, better at DH and Made in USA

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...00/fxr3285.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    HAHA, I gotta laugh, that review is crap of the ibis, sorry. You are comparing the foes to a regular ibis mojo with a 69 degree head angle. Actually, I should say for the bike you were reviewing I think you got it right on, it is a killer XC bike, cuz that's what it is. As far as your review being relative to the topic, your way off. The poster asked about the foes vs the mojo HD!!! TOTALLY different animal, 160mm travel front an back 67 degree head angle. I know for a fact, the factory X9 build kit is 28.8 pounds with cheap platform pedals as I weighed it at the LBS with a digital scale. I will be demoing the mojo's this week, see how it goes. I have been doing ALOT of research on the hd, prolly my next bike, but wanna ride it first.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    HAHA, I gotta laugh, that review is crap of the ibis, sorry. You are comparing the foes to a regular ibis mojo with a 69 degree head angle. Actually, I should say for the bike you were reviewing I think you got it right on, it is a killer XC bike, cuz that's what it is. As far as your review being relative to the topic, your way off. The poster asked about the foes vs the mojo HD!!! TOTALLY different animal, 160mm travel front an back 67 degree head angle. I know for a fact, the factory X9 build kit is 28.8 pounds with cheap platform pedals as I weighed it at the LBS with a digital scale. I will be demoing the mojo's this week, see how it goes. I have been doing ALOT of research on the hd, prolly my next bike, but wanna ride it first.
    I think my review was very fair. If you know of anyone who has owned a DW link Ibis' as well as the Foes FXR, please ask them to correct me.

The Mojo has a 69 deg head tube with a 140 mil fork - not with a 36 - the 36 slackens it out quite a bit. As built my Mojo was 30.5 pounds, with an XO kit. I know this for a fact.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    AGAIN, you are confused. The ibis you had was a regular 140mm mojo. Ibis has a bunch of different models of the mojo. There is the following

-regular old mojo c which is 140mm 69 HA, heavier
    -mojo SL (for superlight) again, another 140mm 69 HA Most xo builds of this bike are sub 25lbs
    -mojo HD which is what this topic is about, is 160mm front AND REAR, and has a 67 HA
    -mojo HD 140, is another model, the HD (for heavy duty) is also available in 140mm shich STILL has a 67HA
    -then there is the new mojo SL-R which is again, 140mm stiffer version of the SL

It has nothing to do with having both a foes and an ibis, it's that your comparing a foes, with an old, outdated mojo that is classified as a XC bike and that is heavier than all the newer models that are out now. I'm not pushing ibis, I'm just saying, I've done alot of research, an know that your not comparing apples to apples. Go over to the ibis website, do a little research on the different models, then you'll know!
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Crazed Country Rebel
    AGAIN, you are confused. The ibis you had was a regular 140mm mojo. Ibis has a bunch of different models of the mojo. There is the following

-regular old mojo c which is 140mm 69 HA, heavier
    -mojo SL (for superlight) again, another 140mm 69 HA Most xo builds of this bike are sub 25lbs
    -mojo HD which is what this topic is about, is 160mm front AND REAR, and has a 67 HA
    -mojo HD 140, is another model, the HD (for heavy duty) is also available in 140mm shich STILL has a 67HA
    -then there is the new mojo SL-R which is again, 140mm stiffer version of the SL

It has nothing to do with having both a foes and an ibis, it's that your comparing a foes, with an old, outdated mojo that is classified as a XC bike and that is heavier than all the newer models that are out now. I'm not pushing ibis, I'm just saying, I've done alot of research, an know that your not comparing apples to apples. Go over to the ibis website, do a little research on the different models, then you'll know!
    What happens to the head tube angle on an Ibis mojo that is spec'd for a 140 mil fork and you put a 160 mil fork on it?

What part of my write up was off base?

Which of these two bikes have you owned?

Which DW link bikes have you owned?

Which Foes have you owned?

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    #1- your comparing ATLEAST a 3-4 year old, regular model mojo that is spec'd from the factory 140mm with 69 degree HA

#2- you obviously don't get it. I have had a 2011 mojo HD on the stand with x9, I can confirm for a 160mm bike front an back it's 28.8 pounds. that is all I'm saying, READ THE THREAD TOPIC!!!!! he's asking about an HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a 4 year old regular 140mm mojo!! I seriously feel like I'm talking to a brick wall, sorry for being rude but.... I can't take the ignorance.
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Crazed Country Rebel
    #1- your comparing ATLEAST a 3-4 year old, regular model mojo that is spec'd from the factory 140mm with 69 degree HA

#2- you obviously don't get it. I have had a 2011 mojo HD on the stand with x9, I can confirm for a 160mm bike front an back it's 28.8 pounds. that is all I'm saying, READ THE THREAD TOPIC!!!!! he's asking about an HD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not a 4 year old regular 140mm mojo!! I seriously feel like I'm talking to a brick wall, sorry for being rude but.... I can't take the ignorance.
    So, you admit you haven't owned either bike and you're calling me ignorant?

Specialized sucks dong

Crazed Country Rebel

double post

Specialized sucks dong

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    i vote for foes

Dirt is Fun
    Apr 2011
    foes looks better for one.

everyone has a mojo hd. it's the new nomad.

foes lower bb will rail the trails better.

banned
    Me too Vote for Foes
    I met Brant working his booth at the Toronto bike show back in 1993
    even then this small man tooling in a tiny booth next to the Trek Pavilion was one of the most innovative passionate and Nicest fellow I had ever had the pleasure to talk bike with.
    He makes a great product and it shows in his conviction to building every frame in house in the USofA
    I admire that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am also in the "which AM bike" and thought i had it down to the Mojo HD and the Yeti SB66......but this bike looks sooooo sick and the Made in USA is very dear to me. How would this bike pedal? I have a FR bike already so really looking for a bike for pedaling and riding hard.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by meSSican View Post
    I am also in the "which AM bike" and thought i had it down to the Mojo HD and the Yeti SB66......but this bike looks sooooo sick and the Made in USA is very dear to me. How would this bike pedal? I have a FR bike already so really looking for a bike for pedaling and riding hard.
    The FXR pedals great. It has just the right amount of antisquat for technical climbs. It really only bobs when standing and pedalling.

This is with the platform valve on it's lightest setting. You can turn up the platform for better climbing, at the expense of suspension performance.

Specialized sucks dong