mtbr member
    Mar 2007

FOES FXR info required please :-)

Hello all

I'm in the market for a new do-it-all bike and am eyeing up the FXR alongside the Intense Tracer VP.

Although I realise that they are very different suspension designs I was wondering whether anyone can comment on the comparison between the two?

I love the look of the FOES and have heard that it's downhill performance can exceed that of much longer travel VPP bikes.

Also, has anyone used a FXR for light DH duties at all? I ride XC, AM and a bit of DH and am wondering if the FXR is tough enough?

Also, also, I'm 6'2'' and about 200lbs - would I be better off with the coil or air shock (is there much difference in performance and weight)? I assume I would need a Large size too?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your help guys.

Dan

mtbr member
    Make sure you like the ride of the Curnutt. See if you can test ride one first.

I think if you are looking at a do all bike the Tracer would be better IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr
    Make sure you like the ride of the Curnutt. See if you can test ride one first.

I think if you are looking at a do all bike the Tracer would be better IMO.

Hmmm, why do you say that ouf of interest?

Because the FXR is more of a trail bike?

mtbr member

FXR is a great bike

I'm 200 lbs and I love my FXR, Intense claims a frame weight around 3 lbs lighter than the true weight of the FXR so if super lightweight is your goal the FXR might be too heavy. On the other hand if your worried about the durabilityof one of these bikes I think the one that is 3 lbs lighter is the one that would have the durability issue.
    On the shock ? Foes told me that at 200lbs they would reccomend the coil shock for me.
    I think what kntr is saying about the ride is that the shock "platform" can be more pronounced than a Pushed or propedal shock, I bought my FXR used and it had too much platform but I sent it to Foes with a "make it more plush" request and it's fantastic noe, you can still hear the valve open but you can' really feel it.
    I've not had the chance to ride the Tracer but I would say it's more XC to the FXR more DH just by the few reviews Ive read and the mission statement from intense.
    Try a search in this forum for VPP vs. single pivot foes or some variation, big multi post comparison by a guy who owned both.
    Good luck.

Happy Hacker
    Jan 2008
    I ride my FXR through some light DH with ease.
    It's an AM bike, so its supposed to handle both riding up and down again :-)

Full review here:
    Foes FXR review