mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Foes FXR 06/07 - have I got the 5'' or 6'' version?!?!(

This might sound a bit odd... I bought what I was told is the 6'' 2007 Foes FXR.

However, I now have reason to believe that it could be either the 5'' (2006) or 6'' (2007)

Does anyone know how I can tell whether it's the 5'' or 6'' version?

If I measure the stroke of the shock then it would only ever get 75mm (and hence deliver 150mm wheel travel) if the bottom out bumper was completely squashed to nothing (it's a coil shock).

As such it's hard to imagine how on earth I would ever get 150mm travel of it..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

mtbr member

Pull the coil

If you pull the coil with the bike in the stand and cycle the swingarm you should be able to get an accurate measurement.
    Last edited by slowrider; 11-15-2009 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    what do you mean slowrider - take spring out and use swingarm to cycle the full stroke? I guess I'm still not going to be able to squidge the bottom-out bumper (it'd take a fair blow to do that I reckon)??

mtbr member
    Get the serial number off the bottom of the frame and call Foes. They can tell you all sorts of details about the bike. Who knows, you might even get to talk to the man himself.

mtbr member

True

But that bumper shouldn't hold it under 5" of full stroke, if you get 5.25" to the bumper you know it's not a 5" frame. But calling Foes is easier than taking the shock apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by danchapman
    what do you mean slowrider - take spring out and use swingarm to cycle the full stroke? I guess I'm still not going to be able to squidge the bottom-out bumper (it'd take a fair blow to do that I reckon)??

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    dan, did you work it out? i had a look at my 06 FXR and there's about 2.75 inches of shaft to the bumper, 3 and a bit inches if you include the bumper. i don't get much air time and i reckon i've only ever used about 2.5 inches of the shock stroke, so 5 inches travel. you've got me thinking about my shock now...
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    mOngy - I've still got Jamie at Balfa (UK Foes distributor) looking at it for me.

Unfortunately my shock serial number relates to a DHS Mono and not a FXR - will teach me a lesson for buying secondhand!

Like you I don't get it - my bike would only ever get 3'' of stroke if the bumper was totally compressed to nothing - as it's fairly solid I don't think it'd be possible.

As such I don't think I've been getting any more than 5'' out of it..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ..I was thinking it doesn't make much sense in that the air curnutt would have a full clear 3'' of stroke and not be inhibited by a bumper as there isn't one.. ?!

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    so you're thinking you've got a 5 inch version, cause of the bumper. yeah, the bumper's really solid, eh. there's no way the shock is supposed to blow through the bumper in order to achieve 6 inches travel. damn, looks like i got the 5 inch version as well. oh well, i'm very much on the XC side of AM so i'm not really bothered about it. i bought mine second hand too. it's still a rad bike, no-one else has one and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

the important thing about the Curnutt is how well it uses the travel it does have. and you have to admit, it does the trick; nice and stiff on the climbs and absorbs big hits on the way down better than my DHX5.0 or 5th ever did. i came off an older Heckler so i'm used to 5 inches travel. i remember climbing on my Bullit, and although the geometry's different, i never used the 7 inches travel. nice to have but it was overkill for me.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 11-16-2009 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yep looks like I've got the 5'' er too.

tbh I'm not happy as this bike has been nothing but trouble (not the bike's fault!).

I bought it secondhand with a spring 150lbs heavier than what it was advertised with, it also had a completely f00kered shock. I spent 140 on getting shock serviced and 80 on a spring.. in addition to the original 700!

.. and now I find it's a 5'' er not the 6'' er it was sold as!

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    damn, and mine's the same as your, huh?

oh well... i blame Foes personally. i mean, what were they thinking making a big hit, long travel trail bike with 5 instead of 6".

i bought mine 3rd hand off a guy in melbourne for 1200 bucks. considering they retail for about 5 grand here (frame only) i was pretty happy. it was in great conditon when i got it, guess i've bashed it up a bit but it's still going strong, not a hint of a problem. i don't really service my bikes much, just ride 'em till the fall apart. will get my curnutt serviced though.

i've got a second hand 300lbs Ti spring if you're interested.