mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Foes Fly Question

Im getting a foes fly and have a option of getting a fly brand new from my lbs or used. the used one is a 02.5 and seems to be in great condition and it half the proce of the one at my lbs which is a 03. does anyone no the differnces between a 02.5 and 03? and also what do u think i shuold do, buy used or the new one. O and also the used one has a romic, anyone no how those feel on the fly compared to the curnutt?

Infinite Power

Idea! Foes Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal*
    Im getting a foes fly and have a option of getting a fly brand new from my lbs or used. the used one is a 02.5 and seems to be in great condition and it half the proce of the one at my lbs which is a 03. does anyone no the differnces between a 02.5 and 03? and also what do u think i shuold do, buy used or the new one. O and also the used one has a romic, anyone no how those feel on the fly compared to the curnutt?
    Hi, I have a Foes Med. 03 frame that I put togather 4 months ago. With the Curnutt shock! I think the Foes and Curnutt is the best setup, because Foes custom builds the shock for the Fly frame and each Foes frame has a special Curnutt shock. Also my 03 Fly came with the floating rear brake that is awsome in the ruff stuff! Besides the Curnutt shock is copied by all the others on the valving. Talk to your local LBS guy and see what he has to say about the Curnutt.
    Bottom line is if I were you, I would spend the extra money for the 2003 Fly no need to cut corners if you don't have to. By the way what type of riding do you plan on doing with this frame?
    {The only hard day, was yesterday!}

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i am planning on using the bike for dh'ing, dh jumps, and the occasional big drops 10-15 feet. ive been told that the head tube angle on the 03 would be better for a smaller fork, but the 02.5 is more suitable for a larg fork(888, monster, ect)

Knomer
    The major difference between those models will be the floating brake mount. The 02's were partial floating which attached to the frame, all other models have the newer mounting style.

Infinite Power

... and if we just ... Idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal*
    i am planning on using the bike for dh'ing, dh jumps, and the occasional big drops 10-15 feet. ive been told that the head tube angle on the 03 would be better for a smaller fork, but the 02.5 is more suitable for a larg fork(888, monster, ect)
    Nor Cal; I am using a 2004 Shiver DC @ 190mm it's just a step down from the Monster line. My LBS plug:>(Fat Tire Farm, Or.) told me that I could run any fork I could afford. My other choice was a 888R but I couldn't beat the price of the Shiver DC. The only thing I have heard on the 2003 head tube angle is from "Bike" Mag. Oct. 2003 issue.
    "The frame angles on The Fly (67.5-degree head-tube; 69-degree seat-tube) make it a natural for downhilling, but it can be set-up with a triple chainring." -Jim Fitzgerald
    I can tell you from the short time I've been riding, that the downhill runs small as they are for now were awsome, great blance,verry stable at high speeds! As for dh jumps I went with a friend of mine ( the guy who sold me the package) to do some light North Shore near the house my frist time an I sucked, so there is where the work is. Mind you it was not the bikes fault, but mine ( XC rider getting use to a DH bike ). The stuff I did make was fun and the bike did great. I like the 190mm travle on the fork, and with up to 8" of travle in the rear I feel the bike can handle any thing I can through at it.
    I still feel you will be better off buying the 2003 frame, with the "full floating rear brake" but I know that $24 to $2500.00 is a lot of money too....
    {The only hard day, was yesterday!}

bland
    I'm resurrecting this thread to say wow how times have changed. 67.5 on a DH bike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had 2 Flys for 10 years and ran a Monster on both NO PROBLEM. I would take the new frame hands down since you KNOW it has no hidden history.

A Ti spring is an excellent upgrade for the Curnutt shock, BTW.

mtbr member
    The Fly wasn't designed as a DH bike, it did race with success but it is a tripple chainring, good pedaling frame that could be run 6-7 0r 8" travel, that 8" travel and 11 lb frame weight are the main DH things about it. I will say that it was my only bike for about a year and a half of my most backcountry riding days and it served well even though I have allways been fairly slow and weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread to say wow how times have changed. 67.5 on a DH bike!