Thread: Foes Demos

banned
    Mar 2004

Foes Demos

Looking at bringing in a couple of Foes demos into the shop. An FXR and a XCT-4.
    Have ridden an older FXR with a Curnitt Coil on it and loved the way it pedaled in the parking lot. Platform transition felt very smooth and the shock felt way buttery. Problem...been reading some posts on the Foes section and some folks seem to have serious problems with the Curnitts. Now I know that I can get the DHX 5.0 on the FXR and the RP23 on the XCT-4 but one of the main reasons for getting these bikes in is because of the Curnitt shock.

1. Your thoughts on the bike.
    2. Your thoughts on the Curnitt Air rear shock.
    3. General comments on the bike.

BTW I know I should have posted this in the Foes section...actually I'm gonna do that.

Let's hear what you have to so.

PS I already ride an 08 Specialized SJ FSR Pro with the AFR BRAIN rear shock.

Mark
    The Cycle Path
    Cornelius, NC
    704-896-3331

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm not sure how you got it to feel buttery in the parking lot, but my Curnutt has a fairly stiff platform feel to it. I'm still adjusting to the way the shock feels as it climbs, it is very firm, similar to a hardtail, and doesn't feel like a conventional shock. I'm not a fan of how the shock feels at low speed, because I've come off a real squishy shock that doesn't have a pedaling platform. However, I had the chance to take my new FXR up the chairlifts at Big Bear in CA, and when you get the bike moving at higher speeds the Curnutt is amazing. It soaks up chatter bumps extremely well and even in some of the rockier sections I had no problems with deflection, the geometry is spot on, and the bike feels good.

I came off of a Transition Bottlerocket with a Cane Creek Double Barrel. My FXR has a Air Curnutt and a Fox 36 RC2 TALAS in the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the FXR and a friend has the XCT-5. I have the Curnutt steel and he has the Curnutt air with no problems so far.

The XCT-5 has a trail bike feel to it kind of like a heckler or blur LT and my FXR has a Moto feel to it. They are both the stiffest bike I have ever ridden. I also have a Turner RFX that I routinely passover to ride the FXR.

If you do have problems with the Curnutt I think the company would stand behind it 100%. They seem like a company that takes customer service serious, probally on par with Turner.

IMOHO probally the best handling bike I have owned, and believe me I have owned a bunch. Just ask my wife and my accountant and my creditors.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    See this post where you asked the same question;

Curnitt Air rear shock
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.