mtbr member

Foes 2.1 XCT 4 questions

Hello to everyone on the Foes forum. I want to get a new mountain bike that can do it all as well as take a beating in occasional endurance racing. At the moment the fight is between the Turner 5.5 spot and a Foes XCT 4 or possibly 5. I am based in the UK so have little experience of Foes having never even seen one in the flesh but I am very intrigue by Curnutt shocks - especially the air version. My only concern regarding the Foes is their weight. Ideally I want a total weight of no more than 27lbs and for that reason I am leaning more towards the 4 as opposed the 5.

Does anyone own or have experience of riding the XCT 4 and is anyone able to draw up a few comparisons with the the XCT 5? Either way I will be using the air shock as I feel the coil will be overkill for most riding here in the UK. Do you think that either of these bikes are suitable for what I am looking for? All informed feedback will be much appreciated.

local trails rider
    What Mountain bike (July 2007) has (had?) a group test that includes the XCT 5. Here's a link to the Foes bit: http://www.foesracing.com/assets/pdf/WhatMTB-Test.pdf

There's a longer piece scanned in the Ventana section here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for link but I bought the magazine concerned about 2 months ago here in the UK and that is partly what has got me interested in the FOES. I also read the review of the XCT 4 in Mountain Bike Action. Only problem with these 2 magazines is that everything seems to be highly recommended so I take their 'opinion' with a pinch of salt. Needless to say they claim that all bikes are now very good and that they deliberately do not review bikes that are sub-standard.

local trails rider
    I guess all the bikes in that test are very good, just different. And the exact choice of parts can make a big difference in how the bike turns out.

mtbr member

Foes are great bikes

but the XCT "5" with a Ti sprung shock weighed in at 8.5 lbs at my LBS, which is 2 lbs heavier than my 5" HL Turner frame and roughly the same weight as the XCT "4" so I'd go with the XCT 5 air.
    I wish Foes would just make the 4" frame out of Easton ultralight and give up on having to use his hydroform machine on every bike because a 4" single pivot frame should be capable of weighing just over half what the XCT 4 does; kind of like the Santa Cruz Superlight.
    Last edited by slowrider; 07-30-2007 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Why would anyone take out the curnutt Air shock that is standard on the XCT 4 and put a Ti shock in its place? From what I can gather the Air shock is the way to go for the XCT range. It also says on Foes website and elsewhere on MTBR that the air shock is 1 pound lighter than the Ti sprung shock. If the XCT 4 is really that heavy I may have to hold off buying a Foes for a while and stick with getting the Scott Spark.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    but the XCT 4 with a Ti sprung shock weighed in at 8.5 lbs at my LBS, which is 2 lbs heavier than my 5" HL Turner frame and roughly the same weight as the XCT 5 so I'd go with the XCT 5 air.
    I wish Foes would just make the 4" frame out of Easton ultralight and give up on having to use his hydroform machine on every bike because a 4" single pivot frame should be capable of weighing just over half what the XCT 4 does; kind of like the Santa Cruz Superlight.
    You say that the xct 4 weight 8,5 lbs?
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/Foes+Ra...es/Frames.html
    Here i found xct is weighed 5,95 lbs .
    A friends of mine have a 2007 fxr with ti spring for 8.2 lbs .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebiker
    You say that the xct 4 weight 8,5 lbs?
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/Foes+Ra...es/Frames.html
    Here i found xct is weighed 5,95 lbs .
    A friends of mine have a 2007 fxr with ti spring for 8.2 lbs .
    That may have been the origanal Foes estimate. The original Foes estimate for the 2 to1 FXR weight was 6.5 lbs (a call to them verified that the weight was without shock) and the shock is HUGE.
    That makes more sense to me if you look at the July MBA XTC 4 test; That bike was full XTR except for the Easton Wheels 2.1 kendas, a 100 mm Fox F100 and no pedals which weighed 0.1 lbs lighter than my 5 Spot with Frog cromo pedals, 2.4 tires and tubes, a 130mm Marzocci XC 700 sl fork and a DHX air shock.
    My experience with Foes is that the bikes pedal lighter than the scale says they will and the customer service has been the best I've experienced.

mtbr member

Sorry Dyslexia strikes

Man I screwed up and transposed the XCT 4 and XCT 5 statements in my message; I've fixed it but I apologize for my confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage
    Why would anyone take out the curnutt Air shock that is standard on the XCT 4 and put a Ti shock in its place? From what I can gather the Air shock is the way to go for the XCT range. It also says on Foes website and elsewhere on MTBR that the air shock is 1 pound lighter than the Ti sprung shock. If the XCT 4 is really that heavy I may have to hold off buying a Foes for a while and stick with getting the Scott Spark.

CAO
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    27lbs xct4 is possible but will cost a bunch. A buddy had one built with a talas, crossmax slr's, juicy ultimates, fsa carbon cranks, and light carbon everywhere and it came in at 27.4. Coincidently it got stolen up at nationals so if you come across an orange one please pm me or contact the police. thanks.

For UK riding I would ask Brent to move the cable routing to the top tube as the downtube routing has lots of funky bends and tends to get clogged with dirt and mud.

mtbr member
    I have an XCT-4 with the Curnutt Air shock (My frame is a small, so I don't know how much difference that makes) but, I built it up using parts on hand, nothing very nice and it came in just over 29. I feel that with a well thought out build, 27lbs can be achieved without spending a fortune.
    Last edited by DH Diva; 08-07-2007 at 09:39 AM.

local trails rider
    Looking at the Foes website, I do not see a lot of talk about light bikes. I see phrases related to stiffness and suspension that works. As in bikes that are meant to be ridden hard, whatever the suspension travel.

mtbr member

Interestin change to the XCT4

I don't know when it was done but the Foes website now says the XCT4 has 4.5" of travel. The Fox float 120 fork would be perfect and make the weight less of an issue.