mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Dual-ring chainguide for FXR (2x9, 2x10)

Anyone found a chainguide that fits on an FXR to suit a dual-ring set-up?
    *not* a single ring rig, but something for 2x9 (or 2x10) gearing.

I've tried fitting quite a few, but they've all fouled the chainstay/lower part of the swingarm, e.g. e13 DRS, e13 SRS (single- ring, i know), Blackspire Stinger, Straitline (1-ring, i know), even found a Foes guide (i think intended for the RS-7??) but had no joy.

Any positive results out there?

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbrowne View Post
    Anyone found a chainguide that fits on an FXR to suit a dual-ring set-up?
    *not* a single ring rig, but something for 2x9 (or 2x10) gearing.

I've tried fitting quite a few, but they've all fouled the chainstay/lower part of the swingarm, e.g. e13 DRS, e13 SRS (single- ring, i know), Blackspire Stinger, Straitline (1-ring, i know), even found a Foes guide (i think intended for the RS-7??) but had no joy.

Any positive results out there?
    I know Katana, who posts on here runs a chain guide on his - not sure what it is. You might ping him.

With my other Foes, I have had to do a little work to get them to clear the lower chainstay yoke.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    One of these, not used one but reviews seem positive
    Bionicon V.02 Chain Guide Review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    I have an mrp guide with the lower roller. It uses two set screws to hold it in place. I had to do a bit of grinding and filing on the guide to get it to fit though.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Great tip, Stu - I'd not seen those before. Have ordered one, should be here in a day or so.
    If it's anything as good as the reviews and appraisals online then it could be a real find.

Katana - I will have to resort to grinding and filing a something-or-other guide if the Bionicon C-Guide doesn't float my boat.

I'll try to post some thoughts on the C-Guide to share with others.

Thanks guys

alias chicken
    Here a Photo from my FXR 2012 with a MRP 2x Chainguide.

Does not fit with ISGC05...
    10 min edited with a steel file, now it fits!
    Works perfectly, am very satisfied!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual-ring chainguide for FXR (2x9, 2x10)-291384_4266038978758_386027754_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Eeeesh!! But, hey, well I guess as you say you've made it work so that's a Good Thing.
    Hope it holds up just fine on the trails.

BTW, the UK Foes import guys (Balfa) have suggested that Foes have a specifically modified Gamut dual ring guide that has been made by Gamut to fit the (slightly) unusual dimensions/geometry of the FXR swingarm. As i recall the price with bash was around 120.

I've used a Gamut single ring guide before; straightforward design and it worked well - not the quietest roller I've used. It's a hard material they use. Their bash rings I've found to be great fo sure.

I will try to get a pic or two of the Bionicon C.Guide I fitted on my FXR. 3 weeks in and I'm really happy with how it's working out. A week's backcountry uplift in the Hautes Alpes coming up shortly to really see how it suits 'Bigi' mountain riding situ's....

the fat kid
    update for the pic?
    I ride faster than I should.