Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229

    Dilemma: Shaver vs 2009 FXR. Please help

    So I've been trying to get a 2010(2012) FXR from Adrenaline and Jesse tells me that Foes is phasing out the FXR because the Shaver is replacing it. Brent Foes said that the Shaver climbs and descends better than the FXR so that's why.

    Now, Jesse asked Brent if he can fabricate a one off FXR for me but Brent says that since they're phasing out the FXR, they don't have any in stock and will try to look around the shop if he has all the pieces lying around to make one.

    Ideally, I would have liked to have a 2010/2012 FXR with Curnutt Air with the 12 rear thru axle and floating brake. I wanted the newer FXR because it's apparently lighter and stronger and can accomodate a tapered fork. If Brent can't find the pieces in his shop or says that he can't do it because apparently he's busy preparing for the Sea Otter, my choices will boil down to getting a Shaver or a 2009 FXR.

    Foes has this 2009 gunmetal gray FXR in stock but it's got a Fox DHX Air on it and I really wanted the Curnutt. I hear that the Curnutt has the best pedalling platform, least pedal bob for climbing, not as sensitive to small bumps but really tracks well with high speed downhill runs and better with the big hits than the RP23 which comes with the Shaver.

    Anyway, about this 2009 FXR, Jesse has suggested to me that they can strip the paint off, paint it black (which is the only color I would buy), and fit it with a Curnutt. It already has a floating brake and is ready for a 150/12 rear thru axle. Total cost of the frame would be 2750 everything said and done and I think (I have to confirm) they will give me the Fox DHX shock that is already installed with it. A 2010 FXR will be $3150 with everything on it, just for comparison. On the other hand, the Shaver frame is $2150 from Adrenaline.

    So I guess my question is: Is the Curnutt really all that or should I just go for the cheaper Shaver? I've really read a lot of reviews saying that the Curnutt is great and the RP23 although awesome is really not the same as a Curnutt. I read this one review here on MTBR saying that the RP23 was smoother but he found one area where it failed him (those were his words) and that was this one section of this one trail where he hits it fast and the RP23 bucked him. The Curnutt just felt more bottomless. Also I've read that even with RP23's propedal on, it still isnt as stiff as climbing with a Curnutt.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    This is the review I was referring to and which ultimately made me decide I wanted a Curnutt (on top of other rave reviews of the Curnutt FOR the Foes).

    Foes/Curnutt vs RP23

    Biggest points:
    1. Pedalling Platform
    2. Big hit control and better at super fast downhills

  3. #3
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    So I've been trying to get a 2010(2012) FXR from Adrenaline and Jesse tells me that Foes is phasing out the FXR because the Shaver is replacing it. Brent Foes said that the Shaver climbs and descends better than the FXR so that's why.

    Now, Jesse asked Brent if he can fabricate a one off FXR for me but Brent says that since they're phasing out the FXR, they don't have any in stock and will try to look around the shop if he has all the pieces lying around to make one.

    Ideally, I would have liked to have a 2010/2012 FXR with Curnutt Air with the 12 rear thru axle and floating brake. I wanted the newer FXR because it's apparently lighter and stronger and can accomodate a tapered fork. If Brent can't find the pieces in his shop or says that he can't do it because apparently he's busy preparing for the Sea Otter, my choices will boil down to getting a Shaver or a 2009 FXR.

    Foes has this 2009 gunmetal gray FXR in stock but it's got a Fox DHX Air on it and I really wanted the Curnutt. I hear that the Curnutt has the best pedalling platform, least pedal bob for climbing, not as sensitive to small bumps but really tracks well with high speed downhill runs and better with the big hits than the RP23 which comes with the Shaver.

    Anyway, about this 2009 FXR, Jesse has suggested to me that they can strip the paint off, paint it black (which is the only color I would buy), and fit it with a Curnutt. It already has a floating brake and is ready for a 150/12 rear thru axle. Total cost of the frame would be 2750 everything said and done and I think (I have to confirm) they will give me the Fox DHX shock that is already installed with it. A 2010 FXR will be $3150 with everything on it, just for comparison. On the other hand, the Shaver frame is $2150 from Adrenaline.

    So I guess my question is: Is the Curnutt really all that or should I just go for the cheaper Shaver? I've really read a lot of reviews saying that the Curnutt is great and the RP23 although awesome is really not the same as a Curnutt. I read this one review here on MTBR saying that the RP23 was smoother but he found one area where it failed him (those were his words) and that was this one section of this one trail where he hits it fast and the RP23 bucked him. The Curnutt just felt more bottomless. Also I've read that even with RP23's propedal on, it still isnt as stiff as climbing with a Curnutt.
    Dude, buy the gun metal grey FXR! I know exactly which one you're talking about.

    The DHX Air works great on the FXR. I have had 3 FXR's and just about every shock combo out there. You wont be dissapointed. And if you are - you can always add the Curnutt later on.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Dude, buy the gun metal grey FXR! I know exactly which one you're talking about.

    The DHX Air works great on the FXR. I have had 3 FXR's and just about every shock combo out there. You wont be dissapointed. And if you are - you can always add the Curnutt later on.
    The gunmetal gray looks nice, BUT, I really really really reaally want black. Do you like the DHX air better than the Curnutt? I'm pretty sure it was you that said that after 6 mos of having the DHX you put the Curnutt back on and that Foes bikes were just meant to have the Curnutt.

    Anyway, Jesse just emailed me this morning and he told me that he thinks the Shaver climbs and corners better than the FXR and descends just as well. He says that Curnutt used to be the best but a lot of shocks have come a long way and Brent realizes this so that's why the Shaver doesn't have the Curnutt.

    Do you think I should just get the Shaver or is there still an advantage to the FXR/Curnutt? Btw, Jesse also told me that Foes has the parts to build me a 2010/2012 FXR which I originally wanted. I'm just rethinking now because of what Jesse said about the Shaver > FXR.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655
    If you are set on the FXR and short of that youíll second guess and wish you did then imho get the FXR. Its funny your interest in both bikes cause thatís exactly where I was at as well. Iíve got the curnutt on my FXR and yes I do love it with great adjustability and performs admirably. Pretty much everyone I ride with (other brands of bikes) run FOX and majority of those are the RP23. The coil over piston shock of the curnutt I do like better for larger drops but itís not significant. The concept and design of the curnutt and the Fox arenít that different you should think more along the lines of air vs. coil-piston. If you primarily hit XC stuff and arenít an extreme heavy rider then the RP23 would serve you well from my experience. If you plan on hitting ski resorts majority of the time then well youíve got a choice to make. Even at Mammoth the guys I ride w/ 90% all us air shocks and havenít complained. At the end of the day to for Iím looking at the geometry of both frames, other than the curnutt, Iím not seeing the FXR taking the lead in my opinion. Iím a proud owner of a new Shaver myself, just havenít actually picked it up yet. Not that the FXR is any less of a bikeÖit isnít just that cost wise given everything else equalÖ.means Shaver for me. I still love my í03 FXR and will not retire it just now be able to spread the ride load between the two and have a backup.

    One drawback of the Shaver is the larger rear thru axel than that of the FXRÖmeans you have to buy the upper echelon wheelsets. Not the end of the world just more $$ youíll need to though at it.

  6. #6
    Stu
    Stu is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    73

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    If you primarily hit XC stuff and arenít an extreme heavy rider then the RP23 would serve you well from my experience. If you plan on hitting ski resorts majority of the time then well youíve got a choice to make.
    So are you saying that the Curnutt Air will be better for hitting ski resorts?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    At the end of the day to for Iím looking at the geometry of both frames, other than the curnutt, Iím not seeing the FXR taking the lead in my opinion.

    One drawback of the Shaver is the larger rear thru axel than that of the FXRÖmeans you have to buy the upper echelon wheelsets. Not the end of the world just more $$ youíll need to though at it.
    So in your opinion, do you think the Curnutt is better than RP23? My riding will be mostly flat to low level rolling terrain in town in which case I don't need a bike that climbs like an XC bike but I want to bring my bike to downhill resorts and that's where I want it to perform like a downhill bike.

    Regarding the rear thru axle, even with the FXR I will be getting the 150/12 rear thru axle. I'm getting it from Adrenaline Bikes and with the build kit I don't think it will matter.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    So are you saying that the Curnutt Air will be better for hitting ski resorts?
    I prefer the curnutt coil for this application. Keep in mind they make cunutt air shocks as well.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: X-FXR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    So in your opinion, do you think the Curnutt is better than RP23? My riding will be mostly flat to low level rolling terrain in town in which case I don't need a bike that climbs like an XC bike but I want to bring my bike to downhill resorts and that's where I want it to perform like a downhill bike.

    Regarding the rear thru axle, even with the FXR I will be getting the 150/12 rear thru axle. I'm getting it from Adrenaline Bikes and with the build kit I don't think it will matter.
    Your riding is much the same as mine. I'm going w/ the RP23 on the Shaver and given I ride with others at Mammoth on the RP23 and none have had an issue w/ it performing. With the advancement in shock technology others have caught up to the curnutt style, back in '03 imho there wasn't a choice.

    Yes they both have rear thru axel but the Shaver is 142 12mm which is a new size and not widely available, you'll need to buy a '12 wheelset to fit it vs. the FXR you can get a '11 or earlier wheelset and save $$ that's all I'm saying.

    Given the bikes geometry are similar they will perform more alike than not. I want the rear adjustable travel and the Shaver gives me that just as I have now w/ my FXR ('03), the FXR ('09) is fixed at 5" or 6" travel. For my terrain variety both xc and a few times a year at ski resorts the Shaver was my choice for those reason.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WolfAshes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
    So I've been trying to get a 2010(2012) FXR from Adrenaline and Jesse tells me that Foes is phasing out the FXR because the Shaver is replacing it. Brent Foes said that the Shaver climbs and descends better than the FXR so that's why.

    Now, Jesse asked Brent if he can fabricate a one off FXR for me but Brent says that since they're phasing out the FXR, they don't have any in stock and will try to look around the shop if he has all the pieces lying around to make one.

    Ideally, I would have liked to have a 2010/2012 FXR with Curnutt Air with the 12 rear thru axle and floating brake. I wanted the newer FXR because it's apparently lighter and stronger and can accomodate a tapered fork. If Brent can't find the pieces in his shop or says that he can't do it because apparently he's busy preparing for the Sea Otter, my choices will boil down to getting a Shaver or a 2009 FXR.

    Foes has this 2009 gunmetal gray FXR in stock but it's got a Fox DHX Air on it and I really wanted the Curnutt. I hear that the Curnutt has the best pedalling platform, least pedal bob for climbing, not as sensitive to small bumps but really tracks well with high speed downhill runs and better with the big hits than the RP23 which comes with the Shaver.

    Anyway, about this 2009 FXR, Jesse has suggested to me that they can strip the paint off, paint it black (which is the only color I would buy), and fit it with a Curnutt. It already has a floating brake and is ready for a 150/12 rear thru axle. Total cost of the frame would be 2750 everything said and done and I think (I have to confirm) they will give me the Fox DHX shock that is already installed with it. A 2010 FXR will be $3150 with everything on it, just for comparison. On the other hand, the Shaver frame is $2150 from Adrenaline.

    So I guess my question is: Is the Curnutt really all that or should I just go for the cheaper Shaver? I've really read a lot of reviews saying that the Curnutt is great and the RP23 although awesome is really not the same as a Curnutt. I read this one review here on MTBR saying that the RP23 was smoother but he found one area where it failed him (those were his words) and that was this one section of this one trail where he hits it fast and the RP23 bucked him. The Curnutt just felt more bottomless. Also I've read that even with RP23's propedal on, it still isnt as stiff as climbing with a Curnutt.
    Hey Jon777,
    Give Foes a call. The FXR you're talking about is being sold by them direct since it is an older model. They also have a complete demo 2010 FXR with a fully rebuilt Curnutt Air they are selling on craigslist... I'd give the link here but it already expired. It is on candy red and it looks sick but I'm sure they could repaint it for you. As to Fox RP23 vs. Curnutt... Brent has always set the standard on suspension and as advanced as Fox is, they are two completely different shocks. I have a 2012 Shaver and it rides like a dream, but you can't beat a complete FXR with curnutt air for 2,200!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfAshes View Post
    Hey Jon777,
    Give Foes a call. The FXR you're talking about is being sold by them direct since it is an older model. They also have a complete demo 2010 FXR with a fully rebuilt Curnutt Air they are selling on craigslist... I'd give the link here but it already expired. It is on candy red and it looks sick but I'm sure they could repaint it for you. As to Fox RP23 vs. Curnutt... Brent has always set the standard on suspension and as advanced as Fox is, they are two completely different shocks. I have a 2012 Shaver and it rides like a dream, but you can't beat a complete FXR with curnutt air for 2,200!!!
    Wow thanks man! I'll give them a call tomorrow!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    229

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •