mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Curnutt xtd stiction...normal??

Ive just finished building my first Foes (FXR 2.1 2007) with a Curnutt XTD Ti Coil on it. Ive not had any experience of this shock and its a used frame ive built up. There seems to be a lot of stiction in the shock when going from compression to rebound stroke. Ive heard the Curnutt has a bit of stiction but this seems excessive. Is it normal in this shock? If its not is it user serviceable??

mtbr member
    That's normal. It's the pedal platform, which is adjusted by air pressure. Less air in the
    chamber = less platform.

Also, make sure to run the air pressure within the spec on the shock, very important for the
    shock to work properly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    yep, ive set the pressure at 75 psi to start with and it still seems pretty sticky. Ive run a dgx in the past with full pro pedal setting and not felt anything like this. Its actually noticable riding. Im sure if its normal the ride will be fine but it strikes me that as it is now the ride would be hindered. Is it possible that the shock needs a service and that a service would take some of the stiction out?

mtbr member
    Check the pump to make sure it's accurate. I've had some pumps read 50 psi but on an
    accurate one it was 115 psi. Sag is correct?

Something doesn't seem right, on the downhill, you shouldn't feel the stiction.

Also, if the shock hasn't been rebuilt in a while, or wasn't properly aired up in the chamber,
    something may have been damaged internally, resulting in the shock being way too stiff
    during descents.

It is not user serviceable I don't think. Call Foes and they will rebuild it to your specs, riding
    style and weight. Basically the XTD is a custom "works" shock.

Also, having the rebound properly adjusted makes a huge difference, if it's not set properly
    the shock will be very choppy. When the rebound is dialed the terrain will disappear...

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    ...Sag is correct?...
    Always set by sag. Suit up, fill the camelback, throw in the extra tubes, and sit on the thing.