Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Curnutt setup, help.

Hi folks. I got hold of an older FXR (05) at the end of last year and I'm having a hell of a time getting the shock set up. I weigh about 210 with all of my gear and am running the shock on the 5.75" setting with a 500# spring on it. My problem is that it is either super soft or super stiff. I have experimented with pressure from 70-100# and the platform through the whole 4 turns. It always seems to be really stiff or wollows in the mid range then blows through whats left of the travel.
    I called foes and they said that they would email me setup help but I have never gotten it. I asked about changing to an air shock but those puppies are $950!!. How dose the FXR respond with a Fox shock like the DHX air? Any ideas where I could find one of the adapters to use a standard shock? Thanks for anyhelp. Sanspeur
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi sanspeir
    I had a 03 fxr with a romic shock on it and it worked very well, but with the curnutt in the 5.75 setting it would do the same as yours, i am roughly the same weight as you, in ridin gear, but if i put it in the 5inch setting and put 80 to 90 psi in the shock,i had a 500lb ti spring, it worked very well, and also i felt that it was a bit more nimble on singletrack and general xc in the 5inch setting. I have sold it now, and have the 07 model with 400lb ti spring and rarely get full travel, but its a great bike on any trail.
    I still have the romic shock tho.?

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

I will try the 5" setting.

I'll give the five inch setting a try this afternoon. I honestly got the bike and put it straight into the longer setting. Hopefully that will give it a better feel. What kind of Romic did you use, are you willing to part with it and where are you? I am in Scotland. Did you have to use the little adapter for the shock to make the eye to eye length shorter? thanks sanspeur

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello sanspeur, im in England, yes i am willing to part with, no it does not need adapter as its the correct length, i think the shock is called romic d, 235mm eye to eye, 55mm stroke.and i weigh 15 stone ish without my ridin gear, shock has the suitable spring.
    Whats your email or phone no?
    Thanks.

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

I'm interested.

I just sent you a PM. I'll be in all night my details are in the message.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sanspeur
    Hi folks. I got hold of an older FXR (05) at the end of last year and I'm having a hell of a time getting the shock set up. I weigh about 210 with all of my gear and am running the shock on the 5.75" setting with a 500# spring on it. My problem is that it is either super soft or super stiff. I have experimented with pressure from 70-100# and the platform through the whole 4 turns. It always seems to be really stiff or wollows in the mid range then blows through whats left of the travel.
    I called foes and they said that they would email me setup help but I have never gotten it. I asked about changing to an air shock but those puppies are $950!!. How dose the FXR respond with a Fox shock like the DHX air? Any ideas where I could find one of the adapters to use a standard shock? Thanks for anyhelp. Sanspeur
    At 210 lbs, you should be running about 80-85lbs in the shock, 4 turns of preload on the spring. The big red knob is not platform - it is bottom out adjust. You might turn this up a bit as well.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong