mtbr member
    May 2009

Best chain device for 07 FXR?

What are you guys running?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, seems that lots of people are looking but no-one is telling! I'm just having issues with mine (MRP LRP, filed to stop it catching on the chainstay) and wondering what anyone else is running. Roller is still quite low and gets knocked back by rock hits to end up rubbing against chainstay, and it drops the chain too easily (never had this problem with DRS on old Heckler).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello jonswhite, ive never tried a chain device on any of my fxr's, but if your running a single ring have you seen the widget thingy, its a single ring with a plate each side, and then run a single ring guide to stop the chain coming off over the top of the chainring.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My frame is a '09 FXR. Should be almost the same and the 07 as far as a chain guide is concerned. I tried running a Stinger. It hangs too low for our trails in the Pacific Northwest. I kept banging it on logs and folding it over. After about three rides I completely trashed it. Tried the e13 DRS. It would not install. The back plate hits the chain stay so I retuned it. So far I have not found any device that works. I have never had an issue dropping chains so I am O.K. without one.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks forgetmename - looked at that Widget, but want to run a granny ring too.

Mudbike - the stinger and the LRP are pretty much the same. I ride in the Peaks, UK. We have lots of loose rock and the constant jarring seems to make the chain drop, plus the noise of the chain rattingly is really off-putting. maybe i'll just need to upgrade to a 2010 with the ISCG tabs........

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    @jonswhite: maybe you could try the new Gamut Dual Ring device with bottom bracket mount ?
    It is very slim at the bottom bracket area - maybe it fits your frame.

No ISCG tabs....I had the same problem with my 2009 RS7. Gamut was the only chainguide that fit my frame with just a little bit of modification.
    And 2010....the frame has ISCG tabs !

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello jonswhite, i ride in Peak district a lot too, and i run 2 rings n bash, and cant say ive ever had the chain come off, done jacobs up then straight down on saturday, then we done hagg side, blackly haigh,(had snakebite on that bit, to find i had left my spanner for bolt through at home, twat), then lockerbrook, down all and not once has chain come off, and cut gate the previous week, hope you dont mind me asking but is your chain the right length? Also ride quite a bit in chamonix and chains ok there too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Forgotmename brings up a good point. Verify the chain length. I removed the rear shock so I could move the rear triangle through the range of travel. When the suspension is fully compressed the chain length grows by a link or so... This needs to be taken into account when sizing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm very interested in potential solutions too!

My 2007 FXR is usually OK but as soon as I ride girly DH runs at Wharncliffe (UK) my chain is constantly coming off.

It's really frustrating actually, having my chain come off mid-way down a run and not being able to pedal!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks Forgotmename. Double checked it and seems fine. Adjusted gears and fettled it all. Went out couple of times over the weekend and dropped the chain twice - but both times were changing down to the granny. Maybe its just the drop from 36 to 22. Its just that the chain then gets jammed between the granny and the pivot, which is not fun!
    Hit something on the way down to Rowarth and bent my Race Face bash guard!!