mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Anyone have a leaf-spring Foes?

Is there anyone out there that has a leaf-spring Foes Downhiller? I think they were made around 1999 or so. Any pics would also be appreciated. Thanks

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by tosh805
    Is there anyone out there that has a leaf-spring Foes Downhiller? I think they were made around 1999 or so. Any pics would also be appreciated. Thanks
    That was a prototype and never went to production. Doubt there were more than a couple made.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, I know they weren't a production bike, but I've heard rumors of one around. I never thought I'd come accross a dual-drive Fulcrum either, but I have one now. So, you never know...
    I'm going to start a downhill museum soon, and the leaf-spring Foes would be an awesome display. Those guys were years ahead of the big companies back then.

I'm also looking for an earlier vintage downhiller. When the bikes were short travel, but had all the aerodynamic add-ons.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    leaf-spring Foes
    Do you mean the very long shock on a proto Foes that Lisa Sher raced few times around 1999-2000? The shock was fix under the bottom bracket and the other side on a diagonal tube. Brent said tubes going all over. In 2006, the Curnut shock and the market was ready for a huge impact: Foes Mono 2:1 and now we are all happy!
    If so I have pics of this bike (credit: Mountain Biking and Foes catalog).
    John Kirkaldie in 1998 racing for Foes (Slammer proto)
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hg/...kirkcaldie.htm
    Well that's not what you are looking for (the longer shocks).
    Here the patent of the leaf-spring:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/64...scription.html
    Last edited by missfoesquebec; 02-19-2010 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have a good feeling that Brent Foes has one.....

Here is a pic of the article that was in the mag's back then....no leaf spring, the the type mentioned it as a proto.... 9/07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a leaf-spring Foes?-foes.jpg  

my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the good info.

While everyone else was coming up with complicated linkage designs, these guys were concentrating on the shock/ spring, while keeping the rest simple and bulletproof. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for novel suspension systems like the Yeti 303's (it's just so cool! Sliders?!) but i have to respect the intrinsic value of gimmick-free design.