mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Anyone gone from Curnutt shock back to a "normal" shock, were you dissapointed??

On the back of a previous "what bike" thread..

I'm considering dumping the 07 Foes FXR 2:1 for something with a "normal" shock e.g. Fox RP23... the only reasons for this is the fact that the Foes is heavy for all-day stuff and too short for me really.

So.. what I want to know is, has anyone reverted from a coil Curnutt shock to a normal shock such as Fox RP23? Was the difference as big as you expected? Were you dissapointed?? (apart from the obvious coil/air differences).

Does Curnutt still have the edge it once did?!

My FXR felt lovely on the DH runs the other week..

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, i got a fuel ex9 last year (coz my fxr was too heavy on all dayers in tPeaks) i thought the shock was ok on the trek, its just the descents were no where near as much fun as on my fxr, coz the rear end was flopping all over the place, also i blew the fox shock on 2th ride and then had it revalved for a fat bloke, and it was fine. Then i got the foes out again and sold trek, bottom line is the fox is plusher than xtd coil, but does not last as long, and i dont think the fox platform works anywhere near as well on the climbs as a curnutt (coil or air), and once up to speed the curnutt will not get overworked like fox will. Thats my biased opinion. I got a new 2010 fxr with 150 n bits, it weighs 31 and a half with american classics, normal seatpost and bonty mudx tyres, 34 n a bit with hadleys, joplin 4, and michelins. Done 2 good days in peaks on it at 31lb and its been a blast so far. Tata.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    cheers forgotmename - I don't understand how your new foes is so light when mine is nearly 35lbs and built with some fairly light bits!

Interesting what you've said about the difference between your trek and foes shock though - oh i just dont know :-S

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Its got xtr cassette,cranks, f n r mechs,and spuds, dh cnt bars, rf am atlas stem, deus seatpost, xt brakes, gripshift, lockons, float 36 rc2's, conti tubes, bonty mud x tyres, spesh arial ladies saddle, hope ceramic bb, ck headset, sram chain.
    I think theres a website where you can list your frame and parts and it gives you the weight of the finished bike, i dont know what its called tho.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by danchapman
    On the back of a previous "what bike" thread..

I'm considering dumping the 07 Foes FXR 2:1 for something with a "normal" shock e.g. Fox RP23... the only reasons for this is the fact that the Foes is heavy for all-day stuff and too short for me really.

So.. what I want to know is, has anyone reverted from a coil Curnutt shock to a normal shock such as Fox RP23? Was the difference as big as you expected? Were you dissapointed?? (apart from the obvious coil/air differences).

Does Curnutt still have the edge it once did?!

My FXR felt lovely on the DH runs the other week..

thanks
    A) - yes I had an adaptor made to fit a DHX coil on my 2009 FXR. it's works great. thread here Project DHX

B) You can get your 2007 FXR down to the 31-32 pound range fairly easily. This should be light enough for all day rides. I know mine is.

C) Not sure what 6" bike worth its salt would weigh much less than 31-32 pounds. If you go lighter, you lose functionality. (please don't start a list of flexy carbon bikes with skinny tires - I don't care)
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    A) - yes I had an adaptor made to fit a DHX coil on my 2009 FXR. it's works great. thread here Project DHX

B) You can get your 2007 FXR down to the 31-32 pound range fairly easily. This should be light enough for all day rides. I know mine is.

C) Not sure what 6" bike worth its salt would weigh much less than 31-32 pounds. If you go lighter, you lose functionality. (please don't start a list of flexy carbon bikes with skinny tires - I don't care)

Interesting Iheart - how does the Fox feel compared to the Curnutt?

With regard to the weight of my bike - I can't really see how I can get the weight down that much. The spec is below and it currently weighs 34.5lb.

2007 Foes FXR with Ti coil Curnutt (400lb spring)
    Maguara Wotan 2007 (3/4lb weight could be saved, swapping to Fox 36 Float)
    LX front mech
    XT rear Mech
    Xt Crankset
    SRAM PG980 Casette
    KMC chain
    Hope Pro11 / DT 5.1 wheels
    Hayes Stroker Trail V8 front and rear
    Azonic X flatties (1/2lb weight saving if swapped for mag flatties)
    Maxxis High Roller Single Ply 2.3
    Easton EA70 Monkeybar
    Tioga stem
    Thomson post
    WTB ti-railed saddle

So I can see how I could potentially get it down about 1.25lbs, (so down to 33.25lb) but can't see how it could be any lighter without changing to silly tyres..

Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Ghetto tubeless maybe? If you're running fairly thick inner tubes, their weights do add up. You would have to trade two tubes for 3 to 4 scoops of Stan's and two rim liners. It might be the rough equivalent of dropping one tube.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by danchapman
    Interesting Iheart - how does the Fox feel compared to the Curnutt?

With regard to the weight of my bike - I can't really see how I can get the weight down that much. The spec is below and it currently weighs 34.5lb.

2007 Foes FXR with Ti coil Curnutt (400lb spring)
    Maguara Wotan 2007 (3/4lb weight could be saved, swapping to Fox 36 Float)
    LX front mech
    XT rear Mech Switch to either XTR or XO
    Xt Crankset
    SRAM PG980 Casette XTR Ti
    KMC chain Which? 10 Ti SL works great.
    Hope Pro11 / DT 5.1 wheels
    Hayes Stroker Trail V8 front and rear
    Azonic X flatties (1/2lb weight saving if swapped for mag flatties)
    Maxxis High Roller Single Ply 2.3
    Easton EA70 Monkeybar Carbon Monkey Light or Monkey Light DH
    Tioga stem which?
    Thomson post
    WTB ti-railed saddle Which?

So I can see how I could potentially get it down about 1.25lbs, (so down to 33.25lb) but can't see how it could be any lighter without changing to silly tyres..

Any ideas?
    The Wotan and pedals will save you 1.25 pounds. You could easily save a pound if you wanted by putting a DHX air on the bike - Foes sells the shocks and adaptor.

The cassette, chain, rear derrailleur and bars will save you another 200-250 grams. Now you're down to 32.5 pounds. 31.5 pounds with the DHX Air.

You could play around with other items as well. Consider replacing your chainrings with lighter weight versions (once the stock ones are worn).
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah certainly an idea... however I think that the High Roller Super Tacky that I have up-front isn't available in UST?

(I do like a nice sticky tyre up front!!)

mtbr member
    Ghetto tubeless is using regular tires and converting them to tubeless using a sealant like Stan's. You'd have to research this on your own, as some tires are better at this than others. But, it's worth a consideration if weight is an issue. Tubeless does give the bike a slightly different feel too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 08 fxr with air curnutt,09 36 fox float,all xtr drive train, formula the one brakes,stans arch rims on i9 enduro wheels,nevegals with stans sealant,2" rise carbon bars, time ti-carbon pedals, thompson masterpiece seatpost and stem. total weight is 28 3/4 pounds complete and has been VERY reliable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's a very good weight for an FXR!

tbh it looks like I'm going to have to sell my FXR now for financial reasons anyway :-(