mtbr member

Anybody know eye to eye for a fox float on a 2004 FXR (with Foes Adapter)

I am trying to replace my curnutt (with TI spring) with something lighter and I can not find the shock eye to eye length or stroke for a Fox Float shock (or similar) for my 2004 Foes FXR.

(Turning the FXR into a 24 hour race bike and looking to save some weight....already taken it from 35lbs to 29lbs and would like to go lower....have a new "big bike" and don't need the heft of the full FXR)

I contacted Foes and they are sending the adapter, but the person I spoke with said measure my existing shock. I don't think this works since the Curnutt is a long shock and when using the adapter for the Fox it looks like the shock must be shorter than the Curnutt.

Does anybody know the eye to eye?

mtbr member
    On my 03 I swapped in a 7.875x2.25 shock. I think the stock option was 2" stroke but the 2.25 worked without issue also.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's a huge help.

mtbr member

fox ride quality

I have been borrowing a friends Fox AVA shock as my curnutt is blown....

I have to say, the ride quality is not nearly as good as the curnutt, the 1/2 pound penality is not worth it IMHO. You may want to send the shock to push or something, but I was not pleased with the performance.

It felt like I had only 3" of travel in the 5.75" setting....especially in the stutterbumps or small rocky sections....
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I have been borrowing a friends Fox AVA shock as my curnutt is blown....

I have to say, the ride quality is not nearly as good as the curnutt, the 1/2 pound penality is not worth it IMHO. You may want to send the shock to push or something, but I was not pleased with the performance.

It felt like I had only 3" of travel in the 5.75" setting....especially in the stutterbumps or small rocky sections....
    The extreme falling-rate is likely the culprit, the AVA has a pretty big air-can, even with the volume adjust turned down, and air shocks all tend to be slightly progressive at first, then fairly linear, then ramp up at the very end, but the problem is that the FXR is a very drastic falling rate throughout the entire stroke. There are only two options and not much middle-ground if you don't have some sort of progressive-shock technology. Option one is to run an overly stiff spring (or air pressure amount), you won't bottom, but you will have much harsher travel. The other option is to run what would be a more "normal" spring weight for your weight, but the bigger the impact, the more the bike gets into the falling-rate, so the easier it becomes to compress. This means bottoming, which is generally bad for suspension. I used a variety of shocks on the FXR, and my first experience was with the stock vanilla RL, and you could only set it up in those two ways. I eventually put a DHX 5.0 on there (after I gave up on the curnutt), and that was the best setup. The bottom-out was dialed in quite a bit, which made it more progressive throughout the stroke (eliminating the poor-compramise above), but it was still pounds lighter than the curnutt with far better quality of travel.

The excessive falling rate is tricky though, so good luck. Even though you'd think that air-shocks are progressive and that they'd cancel out with the falling-rate of the frame, things aren't nearly as simple as that. The air-shocks aren't entirely progressive throughout their stroke, and it's still not necessarily going to be even close to matching up (and arriving at a rate that balances out well).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sounds like this is going to be tougher than I thought.

I really have never had a big complaint with the Curnutt other than size and weight.(although after switching to my current primary bike..Knolly DT...I now realize I was missing some small bump sensitivity.)

I know I am trying to convert my FXR into something it really is not designed to be but considering I only do a race or two a year I can't justify a full blown XC bike plus I already have the FXR. It does good double duty as a back up trail bike and XC bike.

I am running it in the 5" mode with a 5" fork (2003 Fox Talas) and while its relatively light at 29lbs (compared to my 40lb Knolly that sees 98% of my riding) I still felt the weight after a couple laps on my last 12 hour race. Will saving a 1/2 lb to a pound make a difference...maybe / maybe not; but the savings add up. (back when I rode the FXR daily I had a RS Pike, 2.5 wheels, 8" discs, and a generally heavy build...I am actually surprised I got it sub 30 in its current form)

I would really like to go with an RP23 but don't really want to spend too much money on this "experiment". I am leaning towards the Float XV R that santa cruz is blowing out for $75 on their website. (I really like the price and am hoping it has enough factory pro pedal to work on the Foes). I figure if it does not work I am only out $100.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by string
    Sounds like this is going to be tougher than I thought.

I really have never had a big complaint with the Curnutt other than size and weight.(although after switching to my current primary bike..Knolly DT...I now realize I was missing some small bump sensitivity.)

I know I am trying to convert my FXR into something it really is not designed to be but considering I only do a race or two a year I can't justify a full blown XC bike plus I already have the FXR. It does good double duty as a back up trail bike and XC bike.

I am running it in the 5" mode with a 5" fork (2003 Fox Talas) and while its relatively light at 29lbs (compared to my 40lb Knolly that sees 98% of my riding) I still felt the weight after a couple laps on my last 12 hour race. Will saving a 1/2 lb to a pound make a difference...maybe / maybe not; but the savings add up. (back when I rode the FXR daily I had a RS Pike, 2.5 wheels, 8" discs, and a generally heavy build...I am actually surprised I got it sub 30 in its current form)

I would really like to go with an RP23 but don't really want to spend too much money on this "experiment". I am leaning towards the Float XV R that santa cruz is blowing out for $75 on their website. (I really like the price and am hoping it has enough factory pro pedal to work on the Foes). I figure if it does not work I am only out $100.
    Considering you're doing this for a marathon race - you probably won't be hitting anything too big. No drops or large jumps. You should be fine.

I ran the AVA on my FXR for a few months and didn't have any issues with it. It is noticably lighter than the Curnutt - but it didn't feel as plush.

You can add suspension lube to the internal air sleeve of air shocks to make them ramp up and become more progressive. I did this on the AVA - but honestly didn't experiment with it a whole lot. I'm sure you could create a more linear, if not rising rate feel it you wanted to.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    That's good the hear. I kinda figured their will be some sacrifices in the name of weight savings but am hoping they will be acceptable for a marathon bike.

Anything bigger and I will either put the Pike and Curnutt back on or more likely just take the Knolly.