mtbr member
    Mar 2007

300lbs Curnutt Ti Coil - where can I get one (to be posted to UK)

Hi

I'm desperately searching for a 300lb FOES Curnutt Ti coil for the 2007 FXR I'm about to build up.

I saw one on eBay recently but it's now disappeared :-(

If any of you guys know of any shops that may have them (and ship to the UK) then I'd be really grateful if you could let me know.

The UK distributor doesn't have them in stock either.

Thanks very much guys

Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, i got a 400lb ti, from adrenalin cycles, it was much cheaper at the time, and it got here in 3 or 4 days, i paid a bit extra to get it here quicker, as i was off to alps, it arrived 24hrs before i was going. Nice people to deal with too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link at all? Googling "Adrenalin cycles" brings up a lot of different shops - I've no idea which one I need!

many thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ADRENALINEBIKES.COM, 7142882012 or 8005798932 are the phone numbers you need to add usa code. the ad is on page 107 of the feb issue of mountainbike action an american mag, i had vary good service from them. Ive got the 07 fxr too.
    Good luck

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks very much!

Out of interest, what sort of weight are you (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm having trouble figuring out what spring I should be using for my weight of about 210lbs.

I've got a 350lb spring but am struggling to get any more than 55% travel out of the shock (with minimum air pressure in bottom-out chamber) and no real pre-load..?!

It just feels a bit harsh but I don't know if this is just because it's supposed to feel so different to everything else!!

thanks again

Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi Dan,

It would be worth speaking to Jamie at Balfa in the UK, I went there this morning with my FXR so he could look at the rear shock for me. It looked like he has a few Ti springs in stock, not sure of the prices though. I have a 300lb spring and weight 200lb in kit (90kg) I think I am on the upper limit for it, so you may need 350. It would be well worth giving him a call to discuss.

Tel: 01235 759366
    jamie@balfa.co.uk

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, im 15 stone without riding gear, 5ft 11 in. im using 400lb ti spring.
    I dont always get full travel, i do if i do a big drop or a fast 4 or 5 footer il get full travel, i put 60psi in the shock and get the correct sag, i love the bike, it rides like a heavy hardtail with a lot of give in the rear, if you know what i mean, i take it to the alps mostly, and its perfect, very stiff rear end, reliable single pivot, very strong frame, it is not a super plush ride tho, loads of people moan about the shock, not doin this or that, but i just get on and ride it and trust it 100%, it always seems to smooth out the rough bits, and it gives very good traction on the way up, what more can you ask?.
    All that said, if you are getting rid of your 350 spring, i wouldnt mind trying it with a possibility of buying, if thats cool with you?
    Hope this is of some help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks forgotmename!

I'm about 14.5 stone but have yet to give the 350lb spring a full work out. I'm going on a proper ride this weekend so will hopefully see just how much travel I can get from it!

If I do decide to change spring weights I'll certainly be in touch if you're still interested in the 350lb spring.

I've only had my FXR a week so have yet to get used to it's "querks" - so far it feels like a hell of a lot of fun indeed! Like you said it feels like a hardtail that can take the rough stuff easily!

Thanks for all your help btw

Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Dan, yes please let me know if you are not going to use the 350 spring. where are you and where do you ride?

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    hey dan,

i have a 300lbs Ti spring from my 06 FXR... i'll swap you for the 350lbs, yeah?

i searched adrenalinebikes.com for a 350 and no go, i'm afraid.

i'm 6' and weight about 210lbs, using a 400lbs Ti spring with min air pressure, 55lbs. the 400lbs spring is a bit on the harsh side and i'd really like to try the 350lbs. i bought the frame second hand with a 300lbs Ti spring which i've never used. i think it's had about 18 months use.

i live in australia. email me at dansebayaccount@gmail.com if you like.

cheers mate
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hmmm, Adrenalin bikes won't ship to the UK now :-(

Forgotmename - I took the bike out for a hammer in the Peaks at the weekend, including descending Jacob's ladder at a fair speed - the shock only ever gave me a maximum of 4'' travel at the back.

Something is definately wrong although it doesn't feel oversprung (the first inch of travel is quite plush)

It's odd, very odd!

:-S

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    MOngy

Thanks, I might be interested in a swap (Is your FXR the 6'' travel version)?

However, I do only have a normal steel spring to swap with you.

At the moment I'm not quite sure as to what spring I should be running - my shock seems to have an issue which means I can't get more than about half the stroke out of it.

As soon I can figure out which to use I'll be in touch!

thanks!

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    hey, no wuckas.

yeah, steel would still be alright. mine's the 6" version, manufactured late 06 i beleive. i don't think they actually sold many 5" fxr2:1's in the first year, and discontinued the option shortly thereafter. i was thinking if your spring was Ti i'd owe you a few quid, but new steel for used Ti would be fair, me thinks. because my 300lbs Ti spring is used, i reckon it would have lost a few pounds in weight rating, maybe 20lbs. i'm not an expert but after springs break-in they become a bit softer, though not much. i've been told the manufacturing variation/tolerance for each individual springs weight about 10-20lbs anyway, so it's always gonna be something of a guessing game working out a springs true weight rating.

hope you work out your curnutt issues. sounds like the spring is too heavy to me... there aren't many dud curnutts, even if the mtb community has a love/hate relationship with 'em. it's a good shock regardless of the naysayers slurs, they just can't ride hard enough to unleash it's potential ie. it likes to hit things at a real pace, ride like a girl and it will feel harsh.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, is the shock the idt or the xdt it may be that the internals are set for a harder riding style, if its the shock without the big red dial it is preset at the factory for a certain weight and riding style, you can send it to freeride italy and have it upgraded, to the one with the big red dial, which is what i did.
    I was in the peaks this weekend too, i saw a big chap on a red fxr, steel spring, and i asked him if he was Dan, but it wasnt. Nice weather, good riding, cost me 220 as i lost my radars, pants, and met some very unsociable riders to boot.
    Good luck with the shock, hope this info is of some use to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Have you tried beyond bikes.com, they may send a spring out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Forgotmyname!

Yeah I've got the XTD with the big red dial - I have the bottom out pressure and adjustment set to minimum too!

I've just found out though that the previous owner got it valved to his riding weight of 240lbs (I was told he weighed the same as me at 200lbs).

..so do you reckon that'd be enough to stop me getting more than 4'' out of it?

I'm no good and detecting Internet sarcasm or humor so forgive me for asking if you really were in the Peaks (where abouts did you go?), did you really see a big guy on a red FXR, and what did the unsociable riders do?!?!

cheers!

Dan

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, no sarcasm involved, i parked at castleton car park, went up mam tor, then down hollins cross along the road till just after youth hostel, then up to jaggers clough and onto hope cross, down the beast, up hagg farm, then turned round as i had lost gasses, met some miserable blokes as i was coming back down to hagg farm, 1 of them was opening a gate but when he saw that i was in front of his mate he just let it go on me, quality move {sarcasm}. Then a poor chap had an off as he was descending the beast, so i got on the trail to slow some guy on a new big hit down, so he didnt hurt himself or the guy on the ground, and he started to rare up at me, i really lost my faith in human beings this weekend. Yes i did see a guy on a red fxr in castleton,and i did ask him if he was you, but he wasnt. All the people on bikes and running in a race that was on were all nice n chatty tho.
    As for your shock, if i was you i would send it off to either balfa uk or to Guido at freeride italy.
    All the best Dan.
    Gary (my name)!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi Gary

Ah right, sorry for assuming otherwise mate! We just did a quick loop up the road to Mam Tor, around somewhere or other and then a climb up the back of Jacob's ladder then a descent down Jacobs to barber booth ( my mate plans the routes and although I know roughly where I'm going I don't remember place names!).

I am midly perturbed (sarcasm) that there are at least 2 other FXR riders in the Dark Peak - I'm special, look at me, look at me (sarcasm) is what riding a FOES should be about!!

re riders... yeah most people are OK although you do come across one or two n0bheads out there (and one or two of those people with engines on their bikes.. Grrr).

The Beast has had me off a couple of times - the last time my kneecaps being saved only by Dainese pads :-/

I'm quite surprised someone bothered pedalling a BigHit all the way up there just to descend The Beast - you' think he'd trundle off to Wharncliffe for some proper DH or something.. ..

Anyhoo,.. nice to meet a fellow Peaks, FXR rider! I think my shock is going to be sent to Balfa most definately as at the moment it's a 32lb 3'' susser! I really want that Ti spring - such a shame that Adrenalin Bikes have got all cagey about it and won't send me one :-(

If you happen to want to ever join a group of slightly fat, lazy, unfit and over-biked Peaks riders send me a PM - we can be found pushing up many a Peaks hill fairly often!

cheers

DanChapman (Dan) (sarcasm) (although that is my real name) (not sarcasm)

oh it's all so confusing.. :-S

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello Dan, no worries about sarcasm thing. I wasnt on my foes, i was on my trek ex9, but ive seen a few dudes on fxr"s in the last year or so, thats because they are v good bikes, saw a guy who had just paid 950 for a 08 fxr with air shock at hatherdene car park last month, that was very nice. Probably going to peaks on easter sunday, not sure where we are going to start from at the mo tho. will be taking the trek again tho, as the lads are v fit and im going to struggle to keep up, although il be leading the group! I do take the foes to the peaks but normally if im with my wife and dog, or if its a slow group of buddies who want to stop and session the tricky bits, and i take the kitsuma if the weather is really shite. I shall send you a PM when its just me and a mate coming up.
    Thanks Dan
    Gary

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    UPDATE:

Turns out that my FXR was sold to me with a 450lb steel coil on it as opposed to the 350lb one I was told it had!

No wonder it didn't work properly!

Btw ... as I'm upgrading to a Ti coil I now have a 300lb steel spring for sale - only 1 month old (I bought it from Balfa - UK FOES distributors), to replace the 450lb one)...