mtbr member
    May 2005

2009/2010 Foes Fly. Any thoughts before purchase.

Okay, okay. I know it is awesome etc.... I have owned 2 Flys in the past; the 2003 which I sold to get my current 2006. But I am looking to change/upgrade and as it happens the bike I wanted to get (will remain nameless) is no longer made.

So, with knowing I am a longtime Fly owner, how is the 2009? Is the 2:1 ratio better? How is the small bump compliance? Is the standover better? Can you put the seat tube up and down further?

Is there anything that only an owner would know? I am being a bit daft about this but I will be buying sight-unseen (how is that for faith for you) since I am sure differences are going to be subtle at best. Of course, I will be using my Monster T as a fork.

Any issues with the new swinglink? Does it stick/lockout?

Anything at all, especially pictures of bike setups, would be nice.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    Okay, okay. I know it is awesome etc.... I have owned 2 Flys in the past; the 2003 which I sold to get my current 2006. But I am looking to change/upgrade and as it happens the bike I wanted to get (will remain nameless) is no longer made.

So, with knowing I am a longtime Fly owner, how is the 2009? Is the 2:1 ratio better? How is the small bump compliance? Is the standover better? Can you put the seat tube up and down further?

Is there anything that only an owner would know? I am being a bit daft about this but I will be buying sight-unseen (how is that for faith for you) since I am sure differences are going to be subtle at best. Of course, I will be using my Monster T as a fork.

Any issues with the new swinglink? Does it stick/lockout?

Anything at all, especially pictures of bike setups, would be nice.
    I'm confused. You're not buying the number one bike on your list because it's no longer made - so you're going to buy a Fly, which is no longer made?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I'm confused. You're not buying the number one bike on your list because it's no longer made - so you're going to buy a Fly, which is no longer made?
    Actually, to my suprise, it still is but is not a part of the collective catalogue. Moreover, the bike I was going to choose was a bit "off the beaten path" in terms of what I was used to. Look..... the Fly is an awesome bike, despite the changes to the 2009/2010 model I am pretty sure what I am getting. But to go with another bike.... a whole other adventure. I am only inquiring in terms of anything "out of the ordinary relative to past models" that I should know about.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    Actually, to my suprise, it still is but is not a part of the collective catalogue. Moreover, the bike I was going to choose was a bit "off the beaten path" in terms of what I was used to. Look..... the Fly is an awesome bike, despite the changes to the 2009/2010 model I am pretty sure what I am getting. But to go with another bike.... a whole other adventure. I am only inquiring in terms of anything "out of the ordinary relative to past models" that I should know about.
    Buy it.

The Fly's are rad. Get the coil shock.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

alias chicken
    We could be brothers blackfly! :-)

My Fly's

Black: my first Fly 04! With SC Fork. Whister prooft! :-)
    orange: After my Whistler Trip, i buy the Fly 07! Now with DC Fork
    white: Same Fly, new color! Update New Boxxer 2010 WC
    red: my current Bike! Fly 09 with DC Fork
    red:my current Bike! Now with SC Fork and single Speed! Which I want to still change, is the absorber. I want the Curnutt air...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009/2010 Foes Fly.  Any thoughts before purchase.-1.jpg  

2009/2010 Foes Fly.  Any thoughts before purchase.-2.jpg  

2009/2010 Foes Fly.  Any thoughts before purchase.-3.jpg  

2009/2010 Foes Fly.  Any thoughts before purchase.-4.jpg  

2009/2010 Foes Fly.  Any thoughts before purchase.-5.jpg  

Last edited by matt45; 04-18-2011 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Matt 45: why do you want the Curnutt Air? Any difference that you notice over a coil over shock? And yes, we could be brothers because I know exactly where you are coming from.

alias chicken
    I did not test the Curnutt air yet...
    The air is reliably some lighter than the Coil!

I can have the air from a RS7 from a frend test to.