2002 Foes Fly...good year or not?

Anyone have a opinion on 2002 Fly's?

Go-Ride is selling a complete 2002..hell here is the ad

Medium Foes The Fly Frame
    -Romic Rear Shock
    -Marzocchi 888 8" travel fork w/ custom crowns
    -Hadley Hubs laced to Atomlab rims
    -Hayes Mag Hydralic brakes w/ Goodridge Braded Steel Lines

This is an older bike, but is in great condition. It was ridden for two weeks, each of two seasons, and has been sitting in a garage, unused, for the past three seasons. Please rescue this neglected bike.

What do you Foes owners think for $1000,00???

mtbr member
    I know there were some issues with the seat tube/shock tunnel. The aluminum was a bit too thin there and if you land really hard on the seat, it could bend the tunnel out causing the linkage to shift, in turn the tire would bottom out against the seat tube.

A good bike though, I rode one for several years until I got the 2007 model.
    my B+W landscape photos ....www.f45.com

mtbr member

Good deal!

I still have one. I had the main frame replaced for the reason katana stated. I stay seated alot throught medium rock gardens with all that plush travel and it eventually cracked the spine weld under the top tube and at a number of points inside the shock tunnel. I never had the tire hit the frame at any point Foes had my replacement frame assembled and returned to me within 3 days but I don't think that would help you much this far down the line. The small frame was 10.5 lbs with the original front triangle and gained half a pound with the replacement. Even with the heave frame I used it for a year or two as my only bike in the 6 1/2" mode with a 5" fork and a weight of 36 lbs I made more 5000 ft climbs during that time than I do now with my 5" 26 lb bike.
    I too have the Romic along with a Pushed vanilla RC that reduces the travel 1/2 inch but adds some geometry adjustment via a heim joint on the shock. I prefer the Romic.
    No one offered me anything beyond Oakley sunglasses in trade in response to my Craigslist adds so I'm considering trying to find a way to mount a DHX air with the adaptor like they use on the new FXR and XCT, that along with a 66 air ATA and a lightish freeride build I could build some life back into her all over again.
    Inspect the shock tunnel area closely and it should be a great buy for you unless you're a big guy who bombs the rough stuff in the saddle.

banned
    Feb 2010
    I was considering getting a 2002 Fly as well. Read about the weakened shock tunnel/seat tube area, and being as I do love to blast through rock gardens, especially here in AZ...wasn't sure how the longevity would be. So instead opted for an '04 FXR and am building that to the hilt. Should be a way more fun trail bike. If not, then guess I will hunt me down an '2:1 Fly

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a 04 well used no tunnel cracks been to whistler 2 times moab 5 times downievill 8 times. Twice a week on local down hills. I just got a new bike and the fly is now a loaner. But I still ride it sometimes. I loved this bike. My set up : 05 marzocchi 66 rc,curnutt ty spring,king with ex823, hayes mag ,saint cranks,xtr shifter and derailures,diabouls stem,carbon dh bars and post. I weigh 180 lbs. without gear.