mtbr member
    Jan 2010

2:1 DHS Mono BB sizes: will an e13 crank set fit?

Recently bought a 2007 2:1 DHS Mono...Yay! On removing the Shimano BB fitted (scrap) i noticed that the clearance between the BB cups and the swing arm is very close.

My intention is to fit an e13 crank set. As i know that the bearing cups for this are different to the Shimano standard i was wondering if anyone out there has fitted one of these sets to this frame and, basically, does it fit? I have heard that there are problems with this set fitting Intense 951 frames but that is due to the cranks hitting the rear triangle. E13 crank axle is 30mm so it wont fit std BBs

Emailed Foes for info as i first saw this crank set pictured on a Hydro on their website but they are either too busy or dont care to answer.
    Ok its not urgent but i would rather not shell out 250ish on a crank set that wont fit as it also wont fit the Predator i'm building......
    Predator67/73mm, DHS 83mm.

Alternatively i'd go for a Chris King BB. Assume there is no problem with this fitting...unless you know otherwise.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by karrikourier View Post
    Recently bought a 2007 2:1 DHS Mono...Yay! On removing the Shimano BB fitted (scrap) i noticed that the clearance between the BB cups and the swing arm is very close.

My intention is to fit an e13 crank set. As i know that the bearing cups for this are different to the Shimano standard i was wondering if anyone out there has fitted one of these sets to this frame and, basically, does it fit? I have heard that there are problems with this set fitting Intense 951 frames but that is due to the cranks hitting the rear triangle. E13 crank axle is 30mm so it wont fit std BBs

Emailed Foes for info as i first saw this crank set pictured on a Hydro on their website but they are either too busy or dont care to answer.
    Ok its not urgent but i would rather not shell out 250ish on a crank set that wont fit as it also wont fit the Predator i'm building......
    Predator67/73mm, DHS 83mm.

Alternatively i'd go for a Chris King BB. Assume there is no problem with this fitting...unless you know otherwise.
    Not sure which email address you used, but I would give them a call .They're quick to answer the phone and if Vu can't answer your question, Brent is always happy to help.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I used the " contact us " tab on the Foes website. Phone is a poor option due to the time difference(8hrs) and that i work evenings mostly. If the forum cant help then I'll try the UK distributor Balfa. Like i say not in a hurry...yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ok i'm waiting on e13 replying to a request for the O/D of the BB shell to confirm but using info pulled from the fitting tech sheet it looks like a complete no go.

The boring bit if youre interested....maybe for another frame if the clearance is tight also.

The shells are fitted with only one spacer on the drive side and none on the non-drive side so the shells fit snug to the Foes chain device( drive side) and frame (non drive side).
    According to the fitting tech sheet if you loose the e13 specific tool you can use a 12 point/bi-hexagonal 1 3/4" (AF) socket to drive the shells into the frame.
    This should mean that the measurement across the inward facing points of the socket is the same as the lowest points on the BB shell splines for driving it into the frame.( O/D will be @1/5th inch more i'd guess)
    That measurement according to my vernier is 1.850".
    I refitted the old BB shells and placed the vernier inside measuring jaws across the shells, seating them in the splines on the outside of the shells on opposite sides. This centred the measuring faces of the jaws and allowed a reasonably accurate visual comparison.

Result: drive side would just clear the LOWEST point, assume the highs would contact the swing arm; non drive side has no clearance at all, on my frame. Later frames may have differences to the swing arm, i dont know but assume not in this area.

If anyone would like a photo posted of the technique so they can repeat for themselves to check compatibility.... can do

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by karrikourier View Post
    Later frames may have differences to the swing arm, i dont know but assume not in this area.
    You can fit these cranks on the 2010 model very easily, but the swingarm/bb configuration is quite different to the pre-2010 model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2:1 DHS Mono BB sizes: will an e13 crank set fit?-dhs24.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yup, i had a real close look at the gallery on the website and came to this conclusion. The problem is just with the 2007-09 model. Nothing to get stressed about.

On the same track but in reference to anyone wanting extra info on the e13 crankset not available on the website to check for chainring/crank clearance or chainline data, the very nice people at e13/the Hive have sent me a pdf of the critical specs to determine this for your frameset yourself.

It can be found in the drivetrain forum the thread is : e13 crankset critical crank specs.

Many thanks to them for their very helpful service and kind permission to post this data.