mtbr member
    Jun 2009

'10 FXR 135x9mm vs 150x12mm axle?

What are the pros vs. cons here? Should I consider the 12mm thru axle? Money is not an issue, even including building new wheels...

con: 12mm has no quick release option (right?)
    con: 12mm is heavier (I heard as much as a pound including the frame?!?)
    pro: stiffer frame/wheels/hub (how noticable is it?)
    pro: optional floating brake (I assume with the 150mm axle only?)

What else am I missing? I'm currently deciding on the details of the frame in upgrading from my '05 FXR...

I'm not hugely aggressive rider, but I am 225-ish lbs. geared up. I pedal up to get to most of my downhills, but also do lift served riding and shuttling when I have the chance (maybe 15% of the time). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charlie

mtbr member
    I had a 2004 Fly with the 135 QR and semi floating brake. I then upgraded to an 07
    Fly with the 150 TA and full floater. Big notices in the braking, but I didn't notice
    much change in stiffness. I think a Fly is a bit more stout than the FXR (I have an 03).
    I weigh about the same as you.

It depends on what you want. A floating brake is much better at tracking the terrain
    while braking. I think if you use it as a mini DH bike it would be great. Also, if you
    don't ride with Joe XC racer it would be fine for any trail.

I do use my 07 Fly as my trailbike, it is slower up the hills, but it's great for going down.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana

It depends on what you want. A floating brake is much better at tracking the terrain
    while braking. I think if you use it as a mini DH bike it would be great. Also, if you
    don't ride with Joe XC racer it would be fine for any trail..
    Ditto this. The FXR is burly out of the box - the through axle only adds to this.

Same with floating brake. If you are cool with an extra pound or two of weight - go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I do use my 07 Fly as my trailbike, it is slower up the hills, but it's great for going down.
    Katana needs to caveat the shyte out of his posts. He is strong like bull. Not ordinary.

Word to the wise: Don't ride a 50 pound, 9" travel bike XC! (unless you're katana)
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lol... My GF's cousin sometimes uses his '03 DHS Mono as his "trail" bike. I, on the other hand, enjoy having a bike I can pedal...

I've recently been borrowing/riding an '07 FXR with XX components and a '08 XCT-5 with XT/XTR components (both in the 27.5-28.5 lb range). I really like both bikes, but like the slightly more relaxed geometry of the FXR and built out right with the air shock it can still be pretty light.

I decided against the extra weight of either option and the frame is on order... luckily, Foes had a large FXR in stock and we are just waiting on the shock to be valved/built.

I'll definitely be posting in the pictures thread here when its done.

-Charlie

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phattyduck
    What are the pros vs. cons here? Should I consider the 12mm thru axle? Money is not an issue, even including building new wheels...

con: 12mm has no quick release option (right?)
    con: 12mm is heavier (I heard as much as a pound including the frame?!?)
    pro: stiffer frame/wheels/hub (how noticable is it?)
    pro: optional floating brake (I assume with the 150mm axle only?)

What else am I missing? I'm currently deciding on the details of the frame in upgrading from my '05 FXR...

I'm not hugely aggressive rider, but I am 225-ish lbs. geared up. I pedal up to get to most of my downhills, but also do lift served riding and shuttling when I have the chance (maybe 15% of the time). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    I have an 08 FXR with 135-10 TA Hubs by Hadley and I use an allen wrench for easy removal and real clean look with my XT Shadow. You can get DT Swiss RWS Hubs and have a 10mmQR. My friend has that system on his FXR. If your building new wheels consider those hubs with wide rims. I have the 729's and my friend has 721's by Mavic. This will give you a stable park bike and with Kenda SB8's it's not a bad climber either. I use the Neve's for shuttles and loose stuff.Can't tell you about the floating brake because I don't have one. FYI,custom handbuilt wheels without stupid lite spokes is the only way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker
    FYI,custom handbuilt wheels without stupid lite spokes is the only way to go.
    Oh yes! I have most recently been runing Stan's ZTR hubs with ZTR 355 rims, moving to an Olympic front rim for this build - tubeless of course. I can't remember the spoke sizes....

I was able to make it all the way up a few more hills after upgrading from 'regular' wheels/tires...

-Charlie

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by phattyduck
    Oh yes! I have most recently been runing Stan's ZTR hubs with ZTR 355 rims, moving to an Olympic front rim for this build - tubeless of course. I can't remember the spoke sizes....

I was able to make it all the way up a few more hills after upgrading from 'regular' wheels/tires...

-Charlie
    The Stan's ZTR Flow is the one I would choose. The Olympic are closer to the Mavic 717's and more of a narrow race wheel. Yes they are not as easy to climb but the advantage on the downhill is worth it to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker
    The Stan's ZTR Flow is the one I would choose. The Olympic are closer to the Mavic 717's and more of a narrow race wheel. Yes they are not as easy to climb but the advantage on the downhill is worth it to me.
    I'll be running a second set of rims for days at Mammoth, etc. We'll see how the skinny light stuff work out on the local trails.

Still good info though!

-Charlie