mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. '08 FXR Suspension Setup Thread

I am working on dialing in the suspension on my '08 FXR. I weight about 185Lbs. with gear and ride everything from flowing to technical single track with drops up to four feet.

My goal is to achieve rebound balance between the Curnutt air and Float RC2. I want the compression soft as possible, especially small bump, while keeping balanced with the Curnutt platform. I like the rebound fast a possible without being bouncy. I also want to just barley bottom out off the largest jump/drop.

I am looking for feedback on what fork and shock pressures you are running and how that setup works for you. Please post you setups with comments.

Here are my setups with notes.

'09 Fox Float RC2
    Air Pressure - 50 PSI
    Rebound (Red Knob) - 8 clicks back from full clockwise
    High-Speed Compression - 10 clicks back from full clockwise
    Low-Speed Compression - 8 clicks back from full clockwise

Feel is good overall and tracking is great. Small bump is better at 10 clicks. Only using 5.75". Need to soften a little to get full travel.

Curnutt Air
    Air Pressure (Main) - 70 PSI
    Rebound - 2.5 turns back from full slow
    Bottoming Control - 1.75 turns from full clockwise
    Air Pressure (Bottoming Ctrl) - 70 PSI

Small bump is a little harsh. Not getting full travel, about 3/8" left on shock. Rebound is good. Going to drop to 65 PSI in main and BC to see if that works better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Come on folks. I thought this thread would open the door for some great setup info from fellow XFR riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    my FXR I have been experiementing with the air alot. I weigh about 205 and with gear probably 220. To bottom the shock I was running from 60-65 psi in the main chamber and 75psi in the bottom out chamber. However at this lvl I was running approx. 60-65% sag in the shock. I had the bottom out knob turned all the way in. Since then I bumped the main air chamber up to about 73 and dropped the bottom out chamber to 60psi. I've been running this for awhile and am getting abotu 20% sag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    2007 FXR
    weight 170 lbs
    Main chamber: 65 psi
    Bottom out chamber: 50 psi (lower than recommended but never bottomed out)
    Adjuster knob all the way out. (Donít really notice any difference when I turn this knob)

Get about 25% sag and use about 5.5" travel, never gotten the full 6"

Ride: Medium plush at speed, medium firm at low speed