Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60

    New question here. [ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT

    Dear foes rider,

    Im really new in bike nor in foes..

    But 1 thing i know that i love foes at the first sight..

    Im from jakarta, indonesia..in one of our bike shop there available foes FXR and XCT.

    Before comparing anything..let me inlighten you guys with bit of my history for background before we decide which one should i buy.

    I've been biking around 7 months and i think im ready to dedicate my self into bike..

    All i do so far is do road biking around 30-60km, doing on road climbing around 10-20km, and some off-road.

    In my house i have 2 bikes. 1 is local hardtail bike, which i used most of the time..and another one is free ride bike santa cruz bullit with fork rock shox totem 180. (i want to so downhill with my SC but due to my working routine...i still unable too )

    So my future foes intention is

    1. I want a bike that can fit xc and am ( more or less in between my hardtail n my SC)
    2. i like to do climbing with my bike alot while i want to do offroad am either.

    So which bike is suit me more who like to do climbing and offroad with descending..??

    Sorry for such along read..i just dunno how to simplify this due to language limitation..

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Plz tell me if anyone who eager to answer but dont really get my point on statement above

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,681

    XCT 4 or 5?

    I'd go with the XCT, especially if it's an XCT 5. Having owned both the Bullit and the FXR they overlap too much IMHO.

  4. #4
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I'd go with the XCT, especially if it's an XCT 5. Having owned both the Bullit and the FXR they overlap too much IMHO.
    Hopefully...

    I think the shop only have the latest product in here, which xct 5..

    Btw...what do you mean by overlap..regarding bullit and fxr...?

    Thanks for the insight...and i need more of this...from other experience biker n foes rider..before i decide my bike....

    In the end..i just wanna maximize the value of my money and dont want to waste what i have right now...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    121
    The fxr and the bullit are built close for the same type of riding. The xct 5 will pedal better and climb easier than those two bikes and would be the better choice based on what riding you describe.

  6. #6
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Thats what i thought..

    Fxr will have 160-180 fork travel and bullit will have 180-200 travrl...

    So is is call close right...?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    121
    Right. the xct 5 will fit between the two bikes you have now.

  8. #8
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    Right. the xct 5 will fit between the two bikes you have now.
    Right on man.....thanks so much for the insight...

    Btw..for foes...is there any suggestion for me about what component that suit with foes...or make it better bike than the standard...?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    121
    I like the air curnutt as this shock is designed for the foes and the air spring can be adjusted to suit your weight without having to change coils like with a coil over shock and in my opinion is much smoother. But everything is a personal choice, so look up threads on the xct to see how other people set up their bikes for ideas.

  10. #10
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    Dear foes rider,

    Im really new in bike nor in foes..

    But 1 thing i know that i love foes at the first sight..

    Im from jakarta, indonesia..in one of our bike shop there available foes FXR and XCT.

    Before comparing anything..let me inlighten you guys with bit of my history for background before we decide which one should i buy.

    I've been biking around 7 months and i think im ready to dedicate my self into bike..

    All i do so far is do road biking around 30-60km, doing on road climbing around 10-20km, and some off-road.

    In my house i have 2 bikes. 1 is local hardtail bike, which i used most of the time..and another one is free ride bike santa cruz bullit with fork rock shox totem 180. (i want to so downhill with my SC but due to my working routine...i still unable too )

    So my future foes intention is

    1. I want a bike that can fit xc and am ( more or less in between my hardtail n my SC)
    2. i like to do climbing with my bike alot while i want to do offroad am either.

    So which bike is suit me more who like to do climbing and offroad with descending..??

    Sorry for such along read..i just dunno how to simplify this due to language limitation..

    Thanks in advance
    I agree with slowrider. THe FXR overlaps with the Bullet. The XCT will climb and decend great. The Curnutt Air is a great shock - but I do prefer the Curnutt Coil for downhills - it is plusher.

    What fork are you going to use?

    Post pics when you're done!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  11. #11
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I agree with slowrider. THe FXR overlaps with the Bullet. The XCT will climb and decend great. The Curnutt Air is a great shock - but I do prefer the Curnutt Coil for downhills - it is plusher.

    What fork are you going to use?

    Post pics when you're done!
    Fork i will definitely use fox talas 36 160 tapered 2011...hope it suit with the foes...

    And hell yea i will post the pic when its done....its a dream project baby.....!!!

  12. #12
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    Fork i will definitely use fox talas 36 160 tapered 2011...hope it suit with the foes...

    And hell yea i will post the pic when its done....its a dream project baby.....!!!
    You're using the 36 with a tapered steer tube on the XCT? That fork would be a better match for the FXR.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  13. #13
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    You're using the 36 with a tapered steer tube on the XCT? That fork would be a better match for the FXR.
    Oohhh really...?


    Any suggestion then...?

    Kindly need you guys assistance

  14. #14
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    Oohhh really...?


    Any suggestion then...?

    Kindly need you guys assistance
    Talas or Float 32. plenty of travel - but a little lighter. http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_TALAS
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    121
    Look at rockshox too as they seem to be real good as well. Something in the 150mm range should be about right.

  16. #16
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    Look at rockshox too as they seem to be real good as well. Something in the 150mm range should be about right.
    Revelation 150 is a great fork.

    Setan - what head tube are you getting on the bike? 1 1/8, tapered or 1.5"?
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  17. #17
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    @iheartbicycles
    the reason im hesitate using 32 because foes frame is quite massive by any means its not slim. therefore, if i use 32 im thinkin it will not suit the overall look while foes frame is quite big n strong but the fork is slim.

    beside, talas is adjustable, if 160 is too high i will reduce it to 140

    and also, most of foes is tapered..so i will try as much as i can to get tapered rather than 1 1/8 and using adaptor.

    what do u think..?


    @fxr_man
    the reason i dont use rock shox because i already have it in my bullit and i never have fox. i guess this is the best time to try it out.

    what do you think..?


    however, thats my reply will all my limited knowledge of cycling. please correct me if something is wrong.

    lastly, im so glad that most ppl in mtbr forum is so helpful ^^...after i got sufficient knowledge, i will try to help as many ppl as i can i this forum

  18. #18
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    @iheartbicycles
    the reason im hesitate using 32 because foes frame is quite massive by any means its not slim. therefore, if i use 32 im thinkin it will not suit the overall look while foes frame is quite big n strong but the fork is slim.

    beside, talas is adjustable, if 160 is too high i will reduce it to 140

    and also, most of foes is tapered..so i will try as much as i can to get tapered rather than 1 1/8 and using adaptor.

    what do u think..?


    @fxr_man
    the reason i dont use rock shox because i already have it in my bullit and i never have fox. i guess this is the best time to try it out.

    what do you think..?


    however, thats my reply will all my limited knowledge of cycling. please correct me if something is wrong.

    lastly, im so glad that most ppl in mtbr forum is so helpful ^^...after i got sufficient knowledge, i will try to help as many ppl as i can i this forum
    Take a look at the XCT on Foes site and on this site. They are not as burly as the FXR.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  19. #19
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    i saw FXR and XCT closely through the web

    its pretty much the same...~_~

    well i havent touch them so i might be wrong..


    so...do u think talas 36 160 will not suit XCT..??

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slowrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,681

    Not a great match

    A 140mm fork will match the XCT 5 far better and weigh 1.5 lb less, if you require a slacker HA and more travel up front go with the 32 150 fox which dosn't weigh much more than the 140. The 36 will hurt the handling and climbing that you're trying to find.

  21. #21
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    So its all about losing weight but slimmer or have a strong look but gain more wait...afterall the fork travel for Xct (5.5) its 140-160 right...?

  22. #22
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    So its all about losing weight but slimmer or have a strong look but gain more wait...afterall the fork travel for Xct (5.5) its 140-160 right...?
    I just think the 36 would be overkill for the xct. And the 32's have really been beefed up in the last couple years - they use through axles and you can get them with tapered steer tubes.

    Why don't you contact Foes directly and get a 3rd party opinion? They are really helpfull. Vu and Jon helped me out with my recent project. Super nice guys.

    Jon Buckell = jon (at) foesracing.com
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  23. #23
    Indonesian Biker
    Reputation: setan13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I just think the 36 would be overkill for the xct. And the 32's have really been beefed up in the last couple years - they use through axles and you can get them with tapered steer tubes.

    Why don't you contact Foes directly and get a 3rd party opinion? They are really helpfull. Vu and Jon helped me out with my recent project. Super nice guys.

    Jon Buckell = jon (at) foesracing.com
    OMG we I really contact foes regarding this...?!?!

    Damnn I will contact them asap to get query and advice...thx iheartbicycle...

    Btw u mean by overkill is the travel is too high? (It can be adjustable since I will use talas)

  24. #24
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,846
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    OMG we I really contact foes regarding this...?!?!

    Damnn I will contact them asap to get query and advice...thx iheartbicycle...

    Btw u mean by overkill is the travel is too high? (It can be adjustable since I will use talas)
    Absolutely. They're a small company and you're a new customer. I'm sure they would love to help you.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7

    Xct 5

    setan 13, this is Jon here at Foes. I'd recommend the XCT 5 as the best value over the FXR for your purposes - it will fill the gap as a do-all trail bike between your XC hardtail and freeride bikes.

    The current XCTs have dedicated 1 1/8" head tubes.
    We strongly recommend using a 140-150mm travel fork to maintain good geometry and do not recommend using a fork with travel greater than 150mm.
    A Fox fork such as the 32 Float/Talas 140 or 150 with the 15mm through axle and 1 1/8" steer tube would be an ideal match for this frame, as would a Revelation 140/150 or Marzocchi 44 series fork.

    Shock wise, the guys here are on the money:
    - XTD Air for less weight, ease of spring rate adjustability
    - XTD Coil for a more plush feel vs. the XTD Air (depending on setup of course)
    - Fox Float for lower cost, ease of spring rate adjustability

    Have you been talking to the guys at Bagus Bike?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •