Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Indonesian Biker

New question here. [ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT

Dear foes rider,

Im really new in bike nor in foes..

But 1 thing i know that i love foes at the first sight..

Im from jakarta, indonesia..in one of our bike shop there available foes FXR and XCT.

Before comparing anything..let me inlighten you guys with bit of my history for background before we decide which one should i buy.

I've been biking around 7 months and i think im ready to dedicate my self into bike..

All i do so far is do road biking around 30-60km, doing on road climbing around 10-20km, and some off-road.

In my house i have 2 bikes. 1 is local hardtail bike, which i used most of the time..and another one is free ride bike santa cruz bullit with fork rock shox totem 180. (i want to so downhill with my SC but due to my working routine...i still unable too )

So my future foes intention is

1. I want a bike that can fit xc and am ( more or less in between my hardtail n my SC)
    2. i like to do climbing with my bike alot while i want to do offroad am either.

So which bike is suit me more who like to do climbing and offroad with descending..??

Sorry for such along read..i just dunno how to simplify this due to language limitation..

Thanks in advance

Indonesian Biker
    Plz tell me if anyone who eager to answer but dont really get my point on statement above

mtbr member

XCT 4 or 5?

I'd go with the XCT, especially if it's an XCT 5. Having owned both the Bullit and the FXR they overlap too much IMHO.

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I'd go with the XCT, especially if it's an XCT 5. Having owned both the Bullit and the FXR they overlap too much IMHO.
    Hopefully...

I think the shop only have the latest product in here, which xct 5..

Btw...what do you mean by overlap..regarding bullit and fxr...?

Thanks for the insight...and i need more of this...from other experience biker n foes rider..before i decide my bike....

In the end..i just wanna maximize the value of my money and dont want to waste what i have right now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The fxr and the bullit are built close for the same type of riding. The xct 5 will pedal better and climb easier than those two bikes and would be the better choice based on what riding you describe.

Indonesian Biker
    Thats what i thought..

Fxr will have 160-180 fork travel and bullit will have 180-200 travrl...

So is is call close right...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Right. the xct 5 will fit between the two bikes you have now.

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    Right. the xct 5 will fit between the two bikes you have now.
    Right on man.....thanks so much for the insight...

Btw..for foes...is there any suggestion for me about what component that suit with foes...or make it better bike than the standard...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I like the air curnutt as this shock is designed for the foes and the air spring can be adjusted to suit your weight without having to change coils like with a coil over shock and in my opinion is much smoother. But everything is a personal choice, so look up threads on the xct to see how other people set up their bikes for ideas.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by setan13
    Dear foes rider,

Im really new in bike nor in foes..

But 1 thing i know that i love foes at the first sight..

Im from jakarta, indonesia..in one of our bike shop there available foes FXR and XCT.

Before comparing anything..let me inlighten you guys with bit of my history for background before we decide which one should i buy.

I've been biking around 7 months and i think im ready to dedicate my self into bike..

All i do so far is do road biking around 30-60km, doing on road climbing around 10-20km, and some off-road.

In my house i have 2 bikes. 1 is local hardtail bike, which i used most of the time..and another one is free ride bike santa cruz bullit with fork rock shox totem 180. (i want to so downhill with my SC but due to my working routine...i still unable too )

So my future foes intention is

1. I want a bike that can fit xc and am ( more or less in between my hardtail n my SC)
    2. i like to do climbing with my bike alot while i want to do offroad am either.

So which bike is suit me more who like to do climbing and offroad with descending..??

Sorry for such along read..i just dunno how to simplify this due to language limitation..

Thanks in advance
    I agree with slowrider. THe FXR overlaps with the Bullet. The XCT will climb and decend great. The Curnutt Air is a great shock - but I do prefer the Curnutt Coil for downhills - it is plusher.

What fork are you going to use?

Post pics when you're done!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    I agree with slowrider. THe FXR overlaps with the Bullet. The XCT will climb and decend great. The Curnutt Air is a great shock - but I do prefer the Curnutt Coil for downhills - it is plusher.

What fork are you going to use?

Post pics when you're done!
    Fork i will definitely use fox talas 36 160 tapered 2011...hope it suit with the foes...

And hell yea i will post the pic when its done....its a dream project baby.....!!!

Crazed Country Rebel
    Fork i will definitely use fox talas 36 160 tapered 2011...hope it suit with the foes...

And hell yea i will post the pic when its done....its a dream project baby.....!!!
    You're using the 36 with a tapered steer tube on the XCT? That fork would be a better match for the FXR.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    You're using the 36 with a tapered steer tube on the XCT? That fork would be a better match for the FXR.
    Oohhh really...?

Any suggestion then...?

Kindly need you guys assistance

Crazed Country Rebel
    Oohhh really...?

Any suggestion then...?

Kindly need you guys assistance
    Talas or Float 32. plenty of travel - but a little lighter. http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_TALAS

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Look at rockshox too as they seem to be real good as well. Something in the 150mm range should be about right.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by fxr man
    Look at rockshox too as they seem to be real good as well. Something in the 150mm range should be about right.
    Revelation 150 is a great fork.

Setan - what head tube are you getting on the bike? 1 1/8, tapered or 1.5"?

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    @iheartbicycles
    the reason im hesitate using 32 because foes frame is quite massive by any means its not slim. therefore, if i use 32 im thinkin it will not suit the overall look while foes frame is quite big n strong but the fork is slim.

beside, talas is adjustable, if 160 is too high i will reduce it to 140

and also, most of foes is tapered..so i will try as much as i can to get tapered rather than 1 1/8 and using adaptor.

what do u think..?

@fxr_man
    the reason i dont use rock shox because i already have it in my bullit and i never have fox. i guess this is the best time to try it out.

what do you think..?

however, thats my reply will all my limited knowledge of cycling. please correct me if something is wrong.

lastly, im so glad that most ppl in mtbr forum is so helpful ^^...after i got sufficient knowledge, i will try to help as many ppl as i can i this forum

Crazed Country Rebel
    @iheartbicycles
    the reason im hesitate using 32 because foes frame is quite massive by any means its not slim. therefore, if i use 32 im thinkin it will not suit the overall look while foes frame is quite big n strong but the fork is slim.

beside, talas is adjustable, if 160 is too high i will reduce it to 140

and also, most of foes is tapered..so i will try as much as i can to get tapered rather than 1 1/8 and using adaptor.

what do u think..?

@fxr_man
    the reason i dont use rock shox because i already have it in my bullit and i never have fox. i guess this is the best time to try it out.

what do you think..?

however, thats my reply will all my limited knowledge of cycling. please correct me if something is wrong.

lastly, im so glad that most ppl in mtbr forum is so helpful ^^...after i got sufficient knowledge, i will try to help as many ppl as i can i this forum
    Take a look at the XCT on Foes site and on this site. They are not as burly as the FXR.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    i saw FXR and XCT closely through the web

its pretty much the same...~_~

well i havent touch them so i might be wrong..

so...do u think talas 36 160 will not suit XCT..??

mtbr member

Not a great match

A 140mm fork will match the XCT 5 far better and weigh 1.5 lb less, if you require a slacker HA and more travel up front go with the 32 150 fox which dosn't weigh much more than the 140. The 36 will hurt the handling and climbing that you're trying to find.

Indonesian Biker
    So its all about losing weight but slimmer or have a strong look but gain more wait...afterall the fork travel for Xct (5.5) its 140-160 right...?

Crazed Country Rebel
    So its all about losing weight but slimmer or have a strong look but gain more wait...afterall the fork travel for Xct (5.5) its 140-160 right...?
    I just think the 36 would be overkill for the xct. And the 32's have really been beefed up in the last couple years - they use through axles and you can get them with tapered steer tubes.

Why don't you contact Foes directly and get a 3rd party opinion? They are really helpfull. Vu and Jon helped me out with my recent project. Super nice guys.

Jon Buckell = jon (at) foesracing.com

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    I just think the 36 would be overkill for the xct. And the 32's have really been beefed up in the last couple years - they use through axles and you can get them with tapered steer tubes.

Why don't you contact Foes directly and get a 3rd party opinion? They are really helpfull. Vu and Jon helped me out with my recent project. Super nice guys.

Jon Buckell = jon (at) foesracing.com
    OMG we I really contact foes regarding this...?!?!

Damnn I will contact them asap to get query and advice...thx iheartbicycle...

Btw u mean by overkill is the travel is too high? (It can be adjustable since I will use talas)

Crazed Country Rebel
    OMG we I really contact foes regarding this...?!?!

Damnn I will contact them asap to get query and advice...thx iheartbicycle...

Btw u mean by overkill is the travel is too high? (It can be adjustable since I will use talas)
    Absolutely. They're a small company and you're a new customer. I'm sure they would love to help you.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Xct 5

setan 13, this is Jon here at Foes. I'd recommend the XCT 5 as the best value over the FXR for your purposes - it will fill the gap as a do-all trail bike between your XC hardtail and freeride bikes.

The current XCTs have dedicated 1 1/8" head tubes.
    We strongly recommend using a 140-150mm travel fork to maintain good geometry and do not recommend using a fork with travel greater than 150mm.
    A Fox fork such as the 32 Float/Talas 140 or 150 with the 15mm through axle and 1 1/8" steer tube would be an ideal match for this frame, as would a Revelation 140/150 or Marzocchi 44 series fork.

Shock wise, the guys here are on the money:
    - XTD Air for less weight, ease of spring rate adjustability
    - XTD Coil for a more plush feel vs. the XTD Air (depending on setup of course)
    - Fox Float for lower cost, ease of spring rate adjustability

Have you been talking to the guys at Bagus Bike?

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by belt_buckle
    setan 13, this is Jon here at Foes. I'd recommend the XCT 5 as the best value over the FXR for your purposes - it will fill the gap as a do-all trail bike between your XC hardtail and freeride bikes.

The current XCTs have dedicated 1 1/8" head tubes.
    We strongly recommend using a 140-150mm travel fork to maintain good geometry and do not recommend using a fork with travel greater than 150mm.
    A Fox fork such as the 32 Float/Talas 140 or 150 with the 15mm through axle and 1 1/8" steer tube would be an ideal match for this frame, as would a Revelation 140/150 or Marzocchi 44 series fork.

Shock wise, the guys here are on the money:
    - XTD Air for less weight, ease of spring rate adjustability
    - XTD Coil for a more plush feel vs. the XTD Air (depending on setup of course)
    - Fox Float for lower cost, ease of spring rate adjustability

Have you been talking to the guys at Bagus Bike?
    hi jon..nice to meet you..and i just wanna say im so in love of ur brand even though i havent ride it one b4. i decided which religion of cycling i should follow..its FOES

yes after all the discussions yes i decided to choose XCT.

but i just realize that it use 1 1/8" head tube...i thought all foes frames are tapered. well in this case...i have to check the frame first before i buy my fork then to prevent the mistakes .

for fork i decided to use talas 32 150

for rear shock...i will definitely use curnutt...but i havent decided to use air or coil. i have to research it for more.

yes ive been to bagus bike..and talk alot with them...but unfortunately..they run out of XCT T_T..and all they have left is FXR. is there any way we can do...to bring another XCT (hopefully RED ) to jakarta, Indonesia anytime soon..??

Indonesian Biker
    yaay.....foes just grant me XCT 5 red size S with curnutt rear shock booked for next shipping to indonesia distributor..

THX FOES..!!!!

Indonesian Biker
    ok another question...

i will get red frame soon..

which color that will match the red from for other part and accesories (i.e. wheelset, crank, handlebar, ect)..??

need your advice guys...to make the coolest bike around

Crazed Country Rebel
    ok another question...

i will get red frame soon..

which color that will match the red from for other part and accesories (i.e. wheelset, crank, handlebar, ect)..??

need your advice guys...to make the coolest bike around
    That is all up to you and your tastes, Setan!

Do you want a really bright bike - or something more sedate?

Contrasting colors look good with that bright red - so black or white would work well. Or you could go with complmentary colors.

Have you seen the color cordinated components from Sram?

Here's a few of my foes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT-fxr2012.jpg  

[ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT-drive-side-fullcompressed.jpg  

[ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT-fxr1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    OMG heart...how many foes u've got..?? 2...3..??? im so envy u right now

yes black or white are easily think of due to massive red...

but....i think i will be using more extreme and stand out color to match the frame..

right now...im thinking yellow or orange :P

btw..

lemma get this straight..

from what i know...foes FXR will have tapered head tube, which have to use fork with tapered ster..

need confirmation on XCT guys..is it tapered or just 1 1/8" head tube..??

plan to buy everything else while waiting for the frame to come :P
    Last edited by setan13; 02-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Ht

Setan13,

The XCT uses a traditional 1 1/8" head tube and forks with straight 1 1/8" steer tubes.

I'd recommend pairing it up with a classy and functional headset such as Cane Creek's 110 EC34: http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...20Complete#red

My opinion on component color:
    - Black look good with everything.
    - Purple if you remember Kooka cranks and Onza pedals.

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by belt_buckle
    Setan13,

The XCT uses a traditional 1 1/8" head tube and forks with straight 1 1/8" steer tubes.

I'd recommend pairing it up with a classy and functional headset such as Cane Creek's 110 EC34: http://www.canecreek.com/component-h...20Complete#red

My opinion on component color:
    - Black look good with everything.
    - Purple if you remember Kooka cranks and Onza pedals.
    thanks for the warm help so far jon...and others as well..

for the headset..which one better cane creek or chris king..??

and what makes it better..??

thanks in advance

Crazed Country Rebel
    thanks for the warm help so far jon...and others as well..

for the headset..which one better cane creek or chris king..??

and what makes it better..??

thanks in advance
    Both companies make great headsets. Cane Creek bought Dia Compe - which is the company that invented and patented the original threadless headset. They had a special system that preloaded the bearings.

In the last 6 months this patent has run out and now Chris King is producing headsets using the patented design.

Either one is good.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

Indonesian Biker
    so...i think headset...not necessarily have to be expensive..

so does stem and handlebar...

as long as i buy the average one i think its alright..^^

and allocate the budget to something else (havent decide the brake set tho ..:P)

what d ya think..??

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hello seten, i use shimano brakes, they work well, and the pads last a long time, and the xtr trail brakes are quite light too. I also use chris king headsets, i have 1 thats 10 yrs old and still feels like new, it does not look new tho!

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by forgotmename
    Hello seten, i use shimano brakes, they work well, and the pads last a long time, and the xtr trail brakes are quite light too. I also use chris king headsets, i have 1 thats 10 yrs old and still feels like new, it does not look new tho!
    Nice one u got there forgot...

However, does disk brake still using pads?

I'm in the middle of choosing hayes ace(new), shimano xt brake set(new), and magura marta sl carbon(second like new)

Havenbt decided yet as I'm still reading the review available...any thought?

For headset..yes chrisking is one of the best available..but I also see many ppl using funn, answer, and other brand for quite long time too..and they barely have problem with it..

So I jump to conclusion that as long as the headset is from good average brand and fit with ur bike..it should be fine..hardly find any significant different from one to another

Thought guys...?

Indonesian Biker
    That is all up to you and your tastes, Setan!

Do you want a really bright bike - or something more sedate?

Contrasting colors look good with that bright red - so black or white would work well. Or you could go with complmentary colors.

Have you seen the color cordinated components from Sram?

Here's a few of my foes...
    I haven't see the cordination of red XCT 5 with sram X0..due to I have to wait for 2 months to get it..

But red frame with orange black RD, Shifter, cassette, and chain ring should be shiny..

Raw, orange, red, and black should be the major color of my future bike

Btw..what brake n group set u use for ur foes..?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

personalize your Foes the way you want

hi,
    I just read your posts and dialogue with fellow members. This is your Foes, build it the way you want, parts, colours, whatever.

I started with a Foes XCT 5 with Curnutt coil and Fox 32 140 (quick release) fork. Light and nice fork but sure looks wimpy on the Foes. This is not a xc bike! I have a carbon 29er for that. I replaced the fork with a Lyrik set to 140mm. Worked and looked great. I then changed the coil to air shock, in fact the shock from the XCT 4 (found a good deal on xbay to try) and found out it makes the bike perform overall so much better for technical riding. Upgrade fever hit last year and I upgraded to a '10 Fox Talas 36 which I usually run at 130 (100 for climbs and 160 for downhills). Looks and works great. Add 1 lb for the stiffness, control and travel adj for the bigger fork. I would never go back to a 32 fork again.

Hell, just my own experience. Build it burly and you will rewarded!

Cheers

Indonesian Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclistedujour
    hi,
    I just read your posts and dialogue with fellow members. This is your Foes, build it the way you want, parts, colours, whatever.

I started with a Foes XCT 5 with Curnutt coil and Fox 32 140 (quick release) fork. Light and nice fork but sure looks wimpy on the Foes. This is not a xc bike! I have a carbon 29er for that. I replaced the fork with a Lyrik set to 140mm. Worked and looked great. I then changed the coil to air shock, in fact the shock from the XCT 4 (found a good deal on xbay to try) and found out it makes the bike perform overall so much better for technical riding. Upgrade fever hit last year and I upgraded to a '10 Fox Talas 36 which I usually run at 130 (100 for climbs and 160 for downhills). Looks and works great. Add 1 lb for the stiffness, control and travel adj for the bigger fork. I would never go back to a 32 fork again.

Hell, just my own experience. Build it burly and you will rewarded!

Cheers
    dudee...

ure an inspiration man..

after i have a look again and again the foes frame..the size of the pipe look like my SC bullit..which is quite big n strong.

therefore, im start to think like u did...32 seems reduce the foes size make it look like a whimp .

but yea i think i dun have a choice other than come down to bike store and look for my self (since im a full time banker so..yea work sux )

in the end i think its a matter of 32 and 36 since...both can be adjustable to 100 whenever i want to climb

bgt

quick question

i got cheap offer for 2nd magura mantra sl..? what do u think guys..???

thx in advance

Indonesian Biker
    hey guys....how r you doing..>??

just a little up date while waiting for the frame to come next month..

here is some of the part that i already got

-. brake set = magura mantra SL
    -. Group set = Sram X0
    -. Fork = Fox Talas 36 160 RLC 2011

right now im playing to build wheel sets....any idea of which rim, hub, spookes, tire, etc that i should consider..???

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wheels are critical to get the full control and strength of the XCT frame to shine, especially now that you've decided (bravo!) on the "big" fork. First something I should have mentioned on my last post regarding the Fox 36 on an XCT (better late than never, right?). The concern about changing the bike's handling with the bigger fork is valid, but only in the 160mm mode (- 545.3mm axle to crown). Set at 130mm, the axle to crown is about the same as a Fox 32 150mm fork ( - 520.9mm). From my personal experience, and living here in BC, the full travel and additional strength of the 36 is a huge bonus with all the rocks, roots and technical fast and steep trails. Tires are too big of an issue to discuss here, plus I'm already starting to ramble. (short answer: Continental Supersonic Speed 2.3 light and fast/Maxxis High Roller 2.35/WTB Weirwolf 2.35 DNA). Well enough of this and back to your question.

The wheels I have were custom built in Quebec for/by DH type riders (ever seen the Bromont DH course?), expecting to withstand some serious abuse but are light enough for AM (and even XC I think). F: 770g. R: 990g. + 57g. Bolts(2) total: 1817g. Can't forget, I weigh about 190 lbs ready to ride. The build is as follows:

Hope Pro II 20mm/32 front (red ano)
    Hope Pro II SS/32 - 6* speed with bolt-on axle to give extra strength v. quick release and steel cassette body offers 48 points of engagements, 24 on the regular hub ( of course red ano)
    Stans Arch rim front to be a little lighter
    Stans Flow rim rear to be strong
    DT Swiss Alpine 3 spokes (light and strong, but $$)
    DT Swiss aluminum nipples (ano red)

* Important note about 6 speed: You can run a DH type cassette or road with the max gear of 26 with the current generation of Shimano "Shadow" type derailleurs since there are interference issues with larger cogs. I wanted a lower granny gear for climbing though. I'm using the largest 6 cogs of an XT (M760) 9 speed cluster, to get a 6-speed drivetrain (34-30-26-23-20-17); you can use a SRAM 990 cassette too since the top 6 gears are on an alloy carrier. I put on an old Deore der which works OK, but I've decided to try SRAM X-9 shifters and der to hopefully get better performance in the shifting department. So can't say right now how the SRAM stuff will work. I'm very happy with X-9 on my XC bike. Is all this worth it rather than a standard hub body? Well you be the judge. Here is some evidence for that I will leave you with.

The advantages of a 6-speed drivetrain are as follows (in addition to the already mentioned Hope Pro II steel hub body, bolt-on axle and 48 points of engagement):

The rear wheel is symmetrical and not dished. This means that the wheel should be, in theory, stronger.

Because the wheel is an inherently stronger structure, I can get away with lighter parts: I used Stans Flow rim with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The build is holding up nicely.

The symmetrical wheel means that spoke tension is equal on both the drive and non-drive side of the wheel, which makes the wheel building process easier, and also makes it easier to build a sturdy wheel, as you do not face the situation of the drive-side spokes being impossibly tight, yet the non-drive side spokes being unacceptably loose.

Because the cassette is spaced out to the right, you have a better chainline, and better mud clearance. With a conventional drivetrain, the chain passes by very close to the tyre in the lowest gear combination. In muddy conditions, the tyre will deposit mud on the chain. The usual solution is to shift to the middle ring for better chain clearance, but that assumes that you have the gas to grind the middle ring on muddy ascents, which unfortunately is not the case with me. The use of a 6-speed cassette with a singlespeed hub moves the chain to the right, giving about a finger's width of additional mud clearance.

Cheers

Indonesian Biker
    Wheels are critical to get the full control and strength of the XCT frame to shine, especially now that you've decided (bravo!) on the "big" fork. First something I should have mentioned on my last post regarding the Fox 36 on an XCT (better late than never, right?). The concern about changing the bike's handling with the bigger fork is valid, but only in the 160mm mode (- 545.3mm axle to crown). Set at 130mm, the axle to crown is about the same as a Fox 32 150mm fork ( - 520.9mm). From my personal experience, and living here in BC, the full travel and additional strength of the 36 is a huge bonus with all the rocks, roots and technical fast and steep trails. Tires are too big of an issue to discuss here, plus I'm already starting to ramble. (short answer: Continental Supersonic Speed 2.3 light and fast/Maxxis High Roller 2.35/WTB Weirwolf 2.35 DNA). Well enough of this and back to your question.

The wheels I have were custom built in Quebec for/by DH type riders (ever seen the Bromont DH course?), expecting to withstand some serious abuse but are light enough for AM (and even XC I think). F: 770g. R: 990g. + 57g. Bolts(2) total: 1817g. Can't forget, I weigh about 190 lbs ready to ride. The build is as follows:

Hope Pro II 20mm/32 front (red ano)
    Hope Pro II SS/32 - 6* speed with bolt-on axle to give extra strength v. quick release and steel cassette body offers 48 points of engagements, 24 on the regular hub ( of course red ano)
    Stans Arch rim front to be a little lighter
    Stans Flow rim rear to be strong
    DT Swiss Alpine 3 spokes (light and strong, but $$)
    DT Swiss aluminum nipples (ano red)

* Important note about 6 speed: You can run a DH type cassette or road with the max gear of 26 with the current generation of Shimano "Shadow" type derailleurs since there are interference issues with larger cogs. I wanted a lower granny gear for climbing though. I'm using the largest 6 cogs of an XT (M760) 9 speed cluster, to get a 6-speed drivetrain (34-30-26-23-20-17); you can use a SRAM 990 cassette too since the top 6 gears are on an alloy carrier. I put on an old Deore der which works OK, but I've decided to try SRAM X-9 shifters and der to hopefully get better performance in the shifting department. So can't say right now how the SRAM stuff will work. I'm very happy with X-9 on my XC bike. Is all this worth it rather than a standard hub body? Well you be the judge. Here is some evidence for that I will leave you with.

The advantages of a 6-speed drivetrain are as follows (in addition to the already mentioned Hope Pro II steel hub body, bolt-on axle and 48 points of engagement):

The rear wheel is symmetrical and not dished. This means that the wheel should be, in theory, stronger.

Because the wheel is an inherently stronger structure, I can get away with lighter parts: I used Stans Flow rim with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes. The build is holding up nicely.

The symmetrical wheel means that spoke tension is equal on both the drive and non-drive side of the wheel, which makes the wheel building process easier, and also makes it easier to build a sturdy wheel, as you do not face the situation of the drive-side spokes being impossibly tight, yet the non-drive side spokes being unacceptably loose.

Because the cassette is spaced out to the right, you have a better chainline, and better mud clearance. With a conventional drivetrain, the chain passes by very close to the tyre in the lowest gear combination. In muddy conditions, the tyre will deposit mud on the chain. The usual solution is to shift to the middle ring for better chain clearance, but that assumes that you have the gas to grind the middle ring on muddy ascents, which unfortunately is not the case with me. The use of a 6-speed cassette with a singlespeed hub moves the chain to the right, giving about a finger's width of additional mud clearance.

Cheers
    Dear Cyclistedujour,

thanks so much for your advice so far..

right now there is ztr and hope distributor in my town so its just matter of time before i get them

however..what i can find for the hub is only hope II pro..thats it..cant find any "6-speed drivetrain" mention in the detail..??

can u elaborate more about this..??

also many ppl said....and tube hold quite big contribution on weight of the wheelset...any suggestion..??

again...thx so much

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OK, no problem, glad to share some of my experience.

THere is a 6-speed thread here on mtbr with pics and other info to give you a better idea, or you can always do a google search.

Hope makes a single speed (SS) hub that can take up to 6 cogs to make a 6-speed drivetrain.

Cheers

Not sure about your your last question... "tube hold...weight of the wheelset". Are you taking about unsprung wheel weight and its effect on suspension?

Indonesian Biker
    OK, no problem, glad to share some of my experience.

THere is a 6-speed thread here on mtbr with pics and other info to give you a better idea, or you can always do a google search.

Hope makes a single speed (SS) hub that can take up to 6 cogs to make a 6-speed drivetrain.

Cheers

Not sure about your your last question... "tube hold...weight of the wheelset". Are you taking about unsprung wheel weight and its effect on suspension?
    alright then..i will do my research on the 6-speed..

and for the tube..

many of my friend said..tube can make wheel set heavier..

therefore if im concerning about the total weight of the bike...i should consider for the lighter tube ^^

so any suggesting for good light tube..??? (and cheap if its possible the budget getting lower n lower now T_T)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

to 6 speed or not to 6 speed

alright then..i will do my research on the 6-speed..

and for the tube..

many of my friend said..tube can make wheel set heavier..

therefore if im concerning about the total weight of the bike...i should consider for the lighter tube ^^

so any suggesting for good light tube..??? (and cheap if its possible the budget getting lower n lower now T_T)
    6-speeds...hmmm
    Please keep in mind that I chose this route because I ended up with a SS rear wheel and decided to make it work because of its inherent benefits. I was using a standard wheel (340 hub mated to DT Swiss E540 rim) because I was aware of some of the technical issues using a larger cogset on the SS wheel. Keep in mind there are no issues if you use, like I did at first, a SRAM DH cassette with 26 tooth gear and this allows to choose the other 5 cogs. Also, the Hope SS hub is noisy and some people don't like that.

An inner tube should not be a major concern regarding weight issues. I've had nothing but trouble with the the low weight latex tubes. At around 100g for a generic inner tube, tire and rim choices are more critical. With Stans rims you can run tubeless anyway. Alot of people recommend this, but I have not tried it.

After the frame and suspension, I think the wheels are the most critical component. I'm not sure how tubes are going to effect your budget, but as I said before, get yourself a pair of strong and light wheels. Custom built wheels don't have to be expensive, check US wheel builders, pinkbike, even xbay. I've been thinking about switching to a boutique wheelset like '10 Crossmax SX and then sell my custom wheels, just want to try something different (but not necessarily better, well you get the idea).

Cheers

Indonesian Biker
    6-speeds...hmmm
    Please keep in mind that I chose this route because I ended up with a SS rear wheel and decided to make it work because of its inherent benefits. I was using a standard wheel (340 hub mated to DT Swiss E540 rim) because I was aware of some of the technical issues using a larger cogset on the SS wheel. Keep in mind there are no issues if you use, like I did at first, a SRAM DH cassette with 26 tooth gear and this allows to choose the other 5 cogs. Also, the Hope SS hub is noisy and some people don't like that.

An inner tube should not be a major concern regarding weight issues. I've had nothing but trouble with the the low weight latex tubes. At around 100g for a generic inner tube, tire and rim choices are more critical. With Stans rims you can run tubeless anyway. Alot of people recommend this, but I have not tried it.

After the frame and suspension, I think the wheels are the most critical component. I'm not sure how tubes are going to effect your budget, but as I said before, get yourself a pair of strong and light wheels. Custom built wheels don't have to be expensive, check US wheel builders, pinkbike, even xbay. I've been thinking about switching to a boutique wheelset like '10 Crossmax SX and then sell my custom wheels, just want to try something different (but not necessarily better, well you get the idea).

Cheers
    yes...totally got the idea...

and i definitely go for custom since im still beginner and im eager to learn every detail of my bike from scratch.

i do enjoying the research and asking about stuff here and there..

while waiting for the frame...i think its a perfect time to learn all the stuff in perticular

Indonesian Biker
    Dear all,

finally my foes XCT 5 has arrived on sunday 8thof may...im so excited and have arrange an appointment with the mechanic to build the bike..

so heres all the spec i finally decided on..

frame: Foes XCT 5 (red)
    Shock: air curnutt
    Fork: fox talas 36 2011 RLC FIT khasima 1 1/8 travel 160 adjustable to 120
    Group set: Sram 2010 Xo 9x speed (orange)
    Crank set: raceface atlas (red)
    FD: Shimano SLX 2011
    Pedal: Answer Flat (gold)
    Brake set: Heyes Gram with rotor 6" (black)
    Stem: control tech 70 (black)
    Handlebar: Answer oversize (black n red)
    Grip: Answer with lock on (black with lock on orange)
    Hub: Hope Pro II Evo (gold)
    Rim: Sun Ringle Equalizer 23 (black)
    Spooke: Dt Swiss Home (black)
    Tube: huchinson
    Tire: Huchinson toro 23
    QR: Cranckbrothers (orange, silver)
    Seatpost: control tech (black)
    Saddle: WTB Pure V
    Seat Clamp: CrankBrothers (orange, silver)

i will post the pic later...im too exited to see the building so i forgot to take a pics of it :P

Kindly need you guys what do you think about all my component and what should i upgrade later on..??

thx to you guys i finally have my foes HELL YEAA...!!!!!

mtbr member
    Any pics of it yet???

Indonesian Biker
    damn...you office...cannot access photobucket to upload my pics >

heres the pic from picasa

https://picasaweb.google.com/shandya...eat=directlink

need you guys advice if u see something that need to be upgraded or need to change..this is the first time i built a bike

mtbr member
    That looks sweet! You are one happy rider, for sure. I'll post your pic of your bike if you don't mind...

Indonesia's newest Foes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [ask/help] dilemma between FXR vs XCT-dsc03125.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast