Thread: Vision

mtbr member

Vision

I'm starting to have some trouble with contrast in high contrast situations. Yesterday, I rode Rockville Hills community park in dazzling sunshine (a superb day for riding). The park's trails are on oak grassland and they go continuously from shade to bright sunshine and back. I'm noticing that I don't see especially well in the shade for a few seconds after leaving the sun which does slow me down at times. Older eyes do not accommodate as quickly - that is, change the pupil size to compensate for changes in brightness or focal distance. Older eyes don't do as well in high contrast. That is why my wife and I both try to avoid driving at night.

Also, my vision blurs when I'm riding really bumpy rocky trails or roads fast. I think that the vibration just shakes my eyes up to the point where they lose focus.

Note that my eyes test just fine. My vision is still better than 20/20 when wearing glasses. Blended multifocal in my case.

My solution is to keep going pretty fast and hold on. At 70, I'm a little older than most here so get ready. It's coming!
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    ...Also, my vision blurs when I'm riding really bumpy rocky trails or roads fast. I think that the vibration just shakes my eyes up to the point where they lose focus...
    Your glasses are bouncing.

I have the same problem with some glasses.

And also with high contrast - it may be something to do with the start of cataracts.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    My solution is to keep going pretty fast and hold on.
    I like your solution ;0) Bottom line, how do you want to check out? Eating soup through a straw or a big crash with a smile on your face?

mtbr member
    Even before my sight degrading with age I've always found it trickier to ride in dappled sunlight compared to even lighting like when overcast.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Note that my eyes test just fine. My vision is still better than 20/20 when wearing glasses. Blended multifocal in my case.
    I forced learning to do contacts at age 54. The secret is single focus - get rid of those multi focal when doing sports. I wear quality sports glasses over those. Some fine but aging clear Oakley M, or Smith Parallel. The Smith's are changeable lenses and do a good job of wind not messing up the contacts. The rose colored lenses really help with contrast. Their grey lenses are very dark and polarized. They came with clear too. Those for the right circumstances and contacts have brought back confidence I was losing.

Yeah on shaking glasses when I wear my prescription multifocal. I wear Chums or Croakies or whatever they're called and cinch them so the lenses are not bouncing.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

saddlemeat
    I'm starting to have some trouble with contrast in high contrast situations. Yesterday, I rode Rockville Hills community park in dazzling sunshine (a superb day for riding). The park's trails are on oak grassland and they go continuously from shade to bright sunshine and back. I'm noticing that I don't see especially well in the shade for a few seconds after leaving the sun which does slow me down at times. Older eyes do not accommodate as quickly - that is, change the pupil size to compensate for changes in brightness or focal distance. Older eyes don't do as well in high contrast. That is why my wife and I both try to avoid driving at night.

Also, my vision blurs when I'm riding really bumpy rocky trails or roads fast. I think that the vibration just shakes my eyes up to the point where they lose focus.

My solution is to keep going pretty fast and hold on. At 70, I'm a little older than most here so get ready. It's coming!
    I have the same problem with shadows blocking up, it's even worse with polarized lenses. Looking farther ahead helps a bit, and amber or yellow lenses seem clearer to me.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Had that with my old bike bought a new bike vibration issue went away...

Also eye exercises.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I like your solution ;0) Bottom line, how do you want to check out? Eating soup through a straw or a big crash with a smile on your face?
    At 90 Plus i will change out by avi air bag for two sticks of dynamite and ski without hesitation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Even before my sight degrading with age I've always found it trickier to ride in dappled sunlight compared to even lighting like when overcast.
    Me too. In the winter the sun stays low here in Scotland and you get that a lot. Last Saturday I met that a few times in the forest trails. I employed the 'charge blindly on' approach ;0)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As others have said; your progressive glasses bouncing about a bit, and have your eyes checked for the formation of cataracts.

Used to have the same problem myself until I had cataract sururgy. (both eyes)

BTW, Cosco in my experience, is not the best place to have your eyes examened; the Dr. completly missed my catracts, it was the girl at the counter that brought it up.
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    As others have said; your progressive glasses bouncing about a bit, and have your eyes checked for the formation of cataracts.

Used to have the same problem myself until I had cataract sururgy. (both eyes)

BTW, Cosco in my experience, is not the best place to have your eyes examened; the Dr. completly missed my catracts, it was the girl at the counter that brought it up.
    My experience at COSTCO is opposite. The docs who have the lease at my location are superb.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Keep on Rockin...

Yeah, all parts eventually wear out. Just keep moving as much as possible until catastrophic failure puts you down for good.

On our local DH there is a traverse out on the open slope, south facings, very sunny. It immediately ducks in to a thick tunnel of northeast woods. When I hit that dark tunnel I can't see a thing for what seems like a long time. I just hold on and hope for the best.

Ride on !

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1) Get a new bike, new bikes always improve my vision and they stimulate creative thinking... as I try to come up with excuses when my wife notices.
    2) Wear yellow, orange, or rose lenses, they increase contrast and they make everything look cool
    3) Ride faster, it makes the light enter your brain faster, bonus: the wind blows the sweat out of your eyes
    4) Get those cataracts zapped

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Second what Nurse Ben said:
    1) New bike is always good!
    2) I wear Orange lens that work very well.
    In fact I got one of my riding buddies to try them because they had the same issue about going from light to dark and vice versa and he got a pair now!
    3) Speed is not always your friend.....sorry NB
    4) Get those cataracts checked!

and I would like to add 1........might not be the best suggestion but I like it!

5) You only as old as the women your with......
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 61 with early macular issues. Center of vision is blurred and grey.
    As said before, "Wear yellow, orange, or rose lenses, they increase contrast and they make everything look cool"
    Then....don't worry about the details, pick a line, point the bike downhill and go. Your brain will sort things out with what it can see, just feel the flow and ride it......with in reason, remembering you are 50+.

Cycologist
    I'll fifth or sixth or wherever we're at on the yellow/orange/rose lenses. I had been riding with just clear lenses on the trails and then bought a multi-len kit so I could have some tint when on the road and I was surprised to find the orange lens were better for the trail than the clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Yes to the oranges lens. Also, make sure you use a helmet with a visor. Here in Massachusetts the sun is very low in the sky this time of year. The visor blocks out direct sunlight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander