mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Surgery for Cataracts?

In Jan. and Feb. of 2016, I had surgery for the removal of cataracts in both eyes. My wife also had one eye done, (both of us the same day.)

Let me say from the start, that I would do it again without hesitation.

However, I am not too happy, concerning the "professional preparation" as to what to expect afterwards. Hence this effort.

Halos and glare were something that were to recede with time. A year latter, halos come and go, but not a bother, Was sort of looking forward to seeing Christmas lights with halos, but didn't happen.

Upon being 'healed' enough for the Dr. to release me from his oversight, he recommended that I get a pair of sunglasses. That was an understatement. Bright light now bothers my eyes more then ever before. Even on cloudy/rainy days, I feel more comfortable, albeit, a little self conscious wearing sunglasses. I have found a pair of Ray-Bans that are lightly shaded that work well.

Up until recently, I had been bothered several times a day with itchy eyes; a dry sandy feeling. I refrained from rubbing my eyes as much as possible.

For a month or so after the surgery, I had outbursts of bloodshot eyes. Was told that this was normal, and would pass. It did. But thanks for the heads up!

I can go without the aid of glasses except for reading. After 25 years or so of having to wear glasses, it is liberating to do without. But frustrating to hold items at arms length; struggling, not having my reading glasses at hand.

My wife?

At the last minute, the Dr came up with an additional procedure, that if done, she would not have to rely upon reading glasses. A total fail.
    Her eyesight never adjusted, something we later found out was due to the strength of her dominate eye. Two laser surgeries latter to correct the problem.

Other than that, she never complained of any of my experiences.

She also was to have her other eye done. Needless to say, as it is not a pressing issue, sometime latter.

As I said, my gripe is with the lack of "professional preparedness" that was given to us. My position is: Tell me the full story up front, let me make an informed decision, when things happen outside of what I have been led to believe, it begins to reflect back.

My wife also broke her ankle this summer, requiring three screws and a plate to hold her together. We have asked several times what to expect a year or so down the road, with no answers. It is like, we shall deal with it if and whenever some difficulties occur to be read between the lines.

Anyone have any cataract surgery stories they would like to share, or reflections on their medical care in general?

mtbr member
    I'm very interested in the responses to this because it is something I am actively considering.

Because I do not want any problem with haloes etc I have been recommended a single focus lens.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Medical care in general: For something significant, I try to get second and even third opinions, checking out the docs as much as anything. I went to three orthos when I broke my collar bone a few years back.
    Do the math.

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    I had one done last year. No biggie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I had both eyes done about a year ago also (cataracts are a side effect of the stem cell transplant I had, and no, the transplant docs didn't tell me that either but that was the least of my worries) and I really didn't have that many side effects other than dry eye (another side effect of sct). My doc's were great about letting me know what to expect, it was a huge relief to me that it was just cataracts as I thought I was going blind from my new immune system going after my eyes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    VB: I have the single focus lens, the halos that I experience, I don't find distracting, they don't last too long, usually just in the morning for a very short time. There are times in the early morning, just before and after sunrise, that I see them from headlights. Some are incomplete halos.

By a short period of time, I mean a few seconds, I get up in the morning, notice them, go about my business, and never notice them again. On my way to work, I may notice them, from a headlight or a pole light, but a few seconds latter; not.

BTW; if anyone is concerned about the actual surgery, as you are very sensitive concerning your eyes; (I was/am) no sweat.

Considering the eventual outcome of not having the surgery, (blindness) or getting in a wreck, from improper vision; no contest.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    for those with halos - did you get multi-focus lenses? These include reading distances as well as distance. My surgeon told me multi focal lenses were more prone to halos so I played it safe and went with pure distance replacements. Been wonderful 3 years now.

mtbr member
    I had intraocular lens implants due to cataracts three years ago at age 68. I elected "monovision" where one lens focuses at infinite distance (in the dominant eye) and the other at about 18-20" for general closer vision (handiwork, most reading, computer/iPad/phone, car dash, etc.). It's worked out well. I have reading glasses that help with small print, but don't use corrective lenses for driving (even at night) or sports activities. Depth perception is fine, not an issue for mountain biking. The brain seems to adapt quickly to having two images in different focus. In fact, when I tried a pair of sunglasses to correct the close-up eye for distance (so both 20:20) it was disconcerting. I had to get used to both eyes being in focus, and I've decided it's just easier to give up a small bit of acuity in one eye for most things I do.

A word of warning: the incidence of retinal detachments seems to increase following cataract surgery. RD is uncommon, but it's 2-4x more likely after cataract surgery presumably due to some trauma caused by the surgery. I can speak from experience. About a year after my surgery I began to notice small "floaters" and then weak light flashes at the edge of my field of vision in one eye. Then I noticed a small shadow starting to appear in one quadrant of that eye - the retina was detaching so I no longer had vision in that area! This progressed slowly to form a dark veil blocking about 10% of my field of vision over a period of about 24 hours. I went to the ophthalmologist and they did surgery immediately to reattach the retina. Without the surgery I would have lost most or all of my vision in that eye within a few days. Healing took several weeks, but my vision returned to normal. Bottom line: cataract surgery can fix your vision, but be aware of any indications (floaters, light flashes) that might suggest complications.

mtbr member
    I had both done a few years ago with great results.

mtbr member
    Had both eyes done (IOLs) in 2006. Still going good I hear.

mtbr member
    I had RD in both eyes at the same time during chemotherapy. But the doctor said there's no way that the chemotherapy could be causing it but shortly after the chemotherapy was finished my eyes went back to normal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tom erb View Post
    I had RD in both eyes at the same time during chemotherapy. But the doctor said there's no way that the chemotherapy could be causing it but shortly after the chemotherapy was finished my eyes went back to normal.
    That's good.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR, 2013 Specialized Secteur Sport

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Anyone had this done that also had RK surgery long ago?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post
    Anyone had this done that also had RK surgery long ago?
    yes, I had RK in the early 90's, cataract surgery on both eyes in 2015, no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Had both done in 2016 at the age of 48, couldn't be happier with the results to date, went with single focus, I don't mind using reading glasses as a trade-off for the good distance vision 20/15. Had issues with floaters immediately after the surgery, but that settled quickly, the halos have not been much of an issue. I am very cognizant of retinal detachment, but so far so good.
    2018 XL Trek Fuel 7 EX
    2016 XL Framed Wolftrax Fat Bike