Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

So who also runs?

I ride a lot but a recent incident where a carpentry knife met my hand kept me off the bike for around 10 days. Rather than just sit on the trainer with Zwift, I opted to see if I could run a couple of miles. My leg muscles complained a few days later but I've been keeping at it and wondered who else also runs.

I am still planning on riding the upper 1/4 of the GDMBR route next Summer and want to be sure that my walking/bike pushing legs are as good as they can be.

mtbr member
    I started running 5 years ago to get in shape but never really enjoyed it. So I started riding because I really enjoy being in the woods. Recently started doing trail runs/races. I still don't enjoy it as much as riding but it is much better.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Occasionally engagedů
    Today marks 324 days straight on which I have run at least 1 mile, but I'm averaging just over 3 miles a day. It's not "fun" the way a bike ride is fun, but damn does it help with fitness. I can't ride everyday, I can't get to the gym everyday, but I can spend 30 to 45 minutes in the morning getting the dog and myself exercised. I've run for periods of time before and completed the requisite 5K's, a half-dozen half marathons and a marathon, but it was more of a "one-and-done" type of thing -- train for an event, finish it and quit running for months. Last November I read an article by a local writer in our paper and how she'd been "streaking" for the past year. I thought about it for a bit and finally decided to have a go. The desire to keep the streak going is an important part of it for me as it's easy to find an excuse, but if I don't go out I now will lose something I have come to value. It's been tough at times -- many runs at below zero temps, running through a sprain and now through a hamstring injury. One thing that helps is that I have no illusions about speed and distance -- only a mile is required and as long as I'm at least shuffling along, that's all that matters. But I'm keeping my summer mtb fitness and can go and ride much harder on the weekends than I could at this time last year. I'll be "streaking" for as long as it is "medically possible".
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Started running again today as a matter of fact. Used to run 30 to 50 miles per week until injuries sidelined me. Trying to change to a mid foot landing, the heel strike leads to too many injuries.
    You meet the craziest people riding e-bikes!

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    I run during the months when I cant ride. I'm not a natural at it so it takes me a while to build up my tolerance and get into the zone.

9 lives
    I started running 2 years ago when I started crossfit. I had never done any form of running in the past (only cycling as my primary form of cardio). I am only commenting on my personal experience here but I've found crossfit to have had a really positive effect on my running. I document every workout and I see a positive progression in my endurance and speed, over the 2 years. My running technique has improved as well as my recovery over time

My sprints (400-800 metres) as well as my middle distance runs 2-5 km are getting progressively faster. I am running up to a 10km in total per week while doing the cf classes. I run 5-8k on my off-days (usually on Sunday mornings).
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    Regular runner here and actually runs more than rides. Great training to enjoy the riding more.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

Dirt Abuser
    I mix in a run about once a week. When you do not have the time for mtb or a road ride, the next best thing for working on the legs and cardio is a little run.

Most of my runs are just between 3 and 5 miles, averaging about ~9:30 pace. I like trail runs b/c there are quite a few single tracks in the forest to run around in the bay area. Nice scenery, just need to get in a car to drive to though...

Those interested in starting to run may want to look up a technique called 'pose' running. It is much easier on your knees as you land on your forefoot where there is more impact absorbsion compared to a heel strike. (Check out youtube)
    "Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly"

mtbr member
    Looks like a good technique to try. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quit running on a weekly basis in 1981 when I fractured three vertebrae. Still have a run component to my semi-annual fitness test so I generally get spun up a month ahead of time running three times a week for about 5 weeks. Then It's back to cycling. It's worked so far. Despite a shoulder surgery and lower back fusion I've never missed, failed or been a day late for a test. Toughest one was 2008, a month and a half before fusion surgery. Leg would go numb while I was standing around waiting for the start, but once I was running it was okay. This next test will be interesting because my shoulder lost a lot of muscle mass waiting for surgery and I'm not cleared into the weight room yet. We'll see how that goes.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I'm sure here in the Fifty + Year Old forum many run. Straight to the bathroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I figure that with my knees, every year I don't run gives me around three more years on the bike.

YMMV
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    run? are you crazy...

mtbr member
    I've been called worse.
    As a side note. I am going to ride the upper 1/4 or 1/3 of the GDMBR route next June. Some of it will be pushing a bike so focusing on my leg strength in manners other than pedaling seems prudent.

mtbr member
    For me the title of this thread could read, "so who also bikes?" Well lately anyways. I started running at age 40, if you don't count struggling through my annual Air Force PT test. The last few years I have typically run 5-6 days a week with my long runs being in the 10-20 mile range. 47 now and running a little less the last few years because I got serious about triathlons and decided doing half and full Ironmans made sense so I have to fit in swimming and cycling. Now I am just running and doing some mt biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    50 y/o. Tried to get into running a few years ago. But knees and ankles always hurt so stopped. I'm a heel-toe style runner and always was and doubt I'll change. Used to play lacrosse in college so I did like running but somewhere along the way, I got into mtn biking and road riding and I think my bones got weak. Bought a pair of cushy sneaks (Hoka) about a year ago and started with one lap around the complex (0.8 mile). Still not a distance runner (max I'll do is 4 miles) but it is getting easier and use these sneaks on the trail too. Also found my balance got alot better. So I'd say mix it in and get a pair of sneakers that work for you and not the expert runner. Also found weight lifting helps with my riding too. I can throw the bike around alot better, especially the singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Dunn View Post
    Bought a pair of cushy sneaks (Hoka) about a year ago and started with one lap around the complex (0.8 mile). Also found weight lifting helps with my riding too.
    Those shoes ROCK. I'm not a runner, but they still make a huge difference for the fast hiking/occasional shuffling I do with the dog on days off.

Could not agree more about the weights/core stuff. I have a simple half-hour dumbell/pushup/core routine I do twice a week, and I think it's worth it's weight in gold (and more than makes up for the probably 2 extra pounds of upper body weight it adds).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Dunn View Post
    get a pair of sneakers that work for you .
    You hit something so important for running that a lot of people miss, and because of it, either get injured or just don't feel good. Getting the right shoes for you (foot shape, pronation, etc) is vitally important and can make a huge difference!

Cycologist
    Hate to admit it, but I guess I'm more of a runner than a mountain biker. I normally run 3 or 4 times a week and bike once. I came to realize that I don't like running on the road so I almost exclusively trail run now. Last year I was driving my daughter to school and she had to go early a couple of days so I'd drop her off and then stop at some trails to run. This year, she drives herself so I stop at some other trails that are on my way to work and run. There are also mountain bike trails and are only about two miles from my house (we moved here just over a year ago from the other side of town) and I've thought about riding in the morning but haven't.

It's just easier equipmentwise to run rather than ride before work and my running needs more maintenance (sessions) than my riding seems to need. And I think my running really helps when I do ride. But, if I was told I had to quit one but could do the other the rest of my life, I'd give up running.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Nope, nope, nope. I used to run when I was but a lad. Since then I've torn up my knees too much to even think about it.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    Nope, nope, nope. I used to run when I was but a lad. Since then I've torn up my knees too much to even think about it.
    Probably from all that sweeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

dwt
    mtbr member

So who also runs?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    In my 30's my knees started hurting bad, and my orthopod told me to quit running or skiing. I chose running. He suggested the bicycle as another good aerobic activity with the advantage of less leg, knee, hip, back irritation. I chose mtb, which had another advantage: Just plain fun. Eventually I started road bike as well, and have never looked back. I have one of those short, squat bodies and carry a tad too much extra weight in the gut, not ideal for running, nor for that matter roadie hill climbing. But not so much a hindrance to mtb, except for long climbs. Powering up short steep inclines not so bad. Downhill, an advantage. I still know running friends from back in the day, 2 of whom have new fake knees, another had back surgery and is plagued by recurrent plantars fasciitis; another with new fake hip. I see 70 Y/o runners who look trim and fit; but jogging at the pace my wife power walks, and with looks of suffering and pain on their faces. Mountain bikers are too busy having fun to suffer, so long as they don't race their friends on climbs, or use Strava. Which is better for body & soul; happy biking or obsessive running?

I don't miss running, and its debilitating consequences over time, in the slightest. Worst mtb injury was a severely bruised quad which kept me off the bike for all of a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    In my 30's my knees started hurting bad, and my orthopod told me to quit running or skiing. I chose running. He suggested the bicycle as another good aerobic activity with the advantage of less leg, knee, hip, back irritation. I chose mtb, which had another advantage: Just plain fun. Eventually I started road bike as well, and have never looked back. I have one of those short, squat bodies and carry a tad too much extra weight in the gut, not ideal for running, nor for that matter roadie hill climbing. But not so much a hindrance to mtb, except for long climbs. Powering up short steep inclines not so bad. Downhill, an advantage. I still know running friends from back in the day, 2 of whom have new fake knees, another had back surgery and is plagued by recurrent plantars fasciitis; another with new fake hip. I see 70 Y/o runners who look trim and fit; but jogging at the pace my wife power walks, and with looks of suffering and pain on their faces. Mountain bikers are too busy having fun to suffer, so long as they don't race their friends on climbs, or use Strava. Which is better for body & soul; happy biking or obsessive running?

I don't miss running, and its debilitating consequences over time, in the slightest. Worst mtb injury was a severely bruised quad which kept me off the bike for all of a week.

I've been in that same boat battling knee, shin and ankle issues from running. I used to trail run quite a bit back in my college days and was fortunate there was a nice network of dirt roads and trails around the college. After graduating, kept running but found myself running streets and sidewalks and that's when all my trouble started. I switched to biking. A few years back, I decided to start doing some trail running again and found I can do 5 - 7 miles on dirt trails/roads without any problems. It really has complemented the biking. Hills I used to ride in the granny gear or even hike-a-bike I'm now riding in the middle ring or at least pedaling up them. Running dirt vs. asphalt/concrete definitely makes a difference. Just throwing this out as an idea...

9 lives
    So who also runs?-12208603_10153368864789541_6185126851813078386_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I include running in my training. I've done a few short triathlons, but what I really want to do is Xterra. The Guam Xterra runs right by my house. Still working up to it.

mtbr member
    I feel kind of lucky. The only thing that hurts after I go for a run is my hips. Knees and ankles are a-ok.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I run 5-8k on my off-days (usually on Sunday mornings).
    What's your 5K time?

mtbr member
    The wife and I run 3 days a week. Some 5ks and some duathlons

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    What's your 5K time?
    25 minutes is my current time for 5km. That would be just under 9 minutes for 1 mile. I'm progressively getting faster.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    25 minutes is my current time for 5km. That would be just under 9 minutes for 1 mile. I'm progressively getting faster.
    That's good. About the same here.

mtbr member
    As a couch potato, I've either MTB, dirt bike, Elliptical, hike, or Jog twice a week for the last 30 years. Shopping all day with the girls counts as one event too!

Cycologist
    Woo-hoo! Got first place in my age group and 11th overall in a 5K today! Had to post here as I'm not on any runners forums. I actually don't do any speed training at all, I'm a trail runner, usually on mountain bike trails. I usually ride on Sundays but rode yesterday instead so I'd have fresh legs (race started at 5:00 in the afternoon).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nope. Running is for pray.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzr View Post
    Nope. Running is for pray.
    A-a-a-m-e-e-n-n-!-!-!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    -=snifff!!=- What's that you say?
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Dirt Abuser
    Ran a 26:13 a few weeks ago. From the site that I uploaded it to states that is was a 8:27/mi pace. (From a moving time of 26:27) So 25' should be closer to 8' pace?

mtbr member
    Now you got me thinking of timing my weekly 2.5 mile run.
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_Monkey View Post
    Ran a 26:13 a few weeks ago. From the site that I uploaded it to states that is was a 8:27/mi pace. (From a moving time of 26:27) So 25' should be closer to 8' pace?
    Here's a handy pace chart.
    Pace Chart: 8:00 - 8:59 Pace per Mile | Runner's World

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just turned 52. I'm 6'2" about 205. I have been running for 20 years and converted to trail running about 10 years ago (no more pavement). Started mountain biking about 8 years ago. Ideally, I like to get 2 runs and 2 rides in a week. Itz all good.

EMBA Member
    Not much into the running thing although it might be fun (fun; I must be crazy! If I had more time I probably would do some crossfit. Working on my climbing after getting my butt kicked in AZ over the holiday. Started doing some squats for core and such. We will see how that works out.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    52 and maxed the run on my Army PT test in October.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
    At 52, don't you mean walk?

I've run about 10 miles total since I got out. Don't miss it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Broken Hipster
    Biking only these days. Too much impact running anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    At 52, don't you mean walk?

I've run about 10 miles total since I got out. Don't miss it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    LOL! No, I do mean run.

It's the pushups that I look forward to not missing once I'm out. Although, I can think of a couple of reasons to keep doing them...
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    I did it once in the AF at the age of 21(8 min 1.5 mile run), the year before 17 years of flying all over the world. Since the age of 23, I've been fighting to keep the weight off from a bad diet and sitting at my panel inflight all day or night.
    At least I've been able to do an 11+ min 1.5 mile run since to this day at 54.
    For some reason my calves ache from this morns 2.5 mile run. Maybe cause it was 32 degrees out? I need to time it.

mtbr member
    It's the pushups that I look forward to not missing once I'm out.
    I did 50 pushups every day until a stupid motorcycle wreck 4 years ago. I'm back up to 15, but not daily yet. Still do 50 sit ups before each run though. OLD AGE SUCKS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The key to my workouts nowadays is simply to avoid injury. Whether I'm running, biking, or working out in the gym, avoiding injury is the number one priority. That means I sometimes cut a workout short, just because I have a niggling discomfort in some tendon or joint. Sore muscles are not a problem; I actually take such soreness to be a good sign. But soreness in the joints or connective tissues are bad and to be avoided at all costs.

It wasn't always like this. Long ago, "no pain, no gain" was my mantra. Following that approach eventually led to my being unable to run, bike, or hike for a few years. Wisdom came hard.

I actually generally feel better and healthier now than I did when I was thirty. Maybe not as strong or with as much endurance, but I feel better.

My profile is still a picket fence.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I started running five years ago when my daughters kept saying they wanted to race. There was a local 1 miler thru downtown, so we signed up and gave it our best with no training. The girls crushed it, I survived it. Crossed running off the bucket list. Fast forward a few years and my wife signs up to do a Tri. By doing so I get enlisted as her trainer (remember that one race I did & and I can ride a bike 2 outta 3). We run our first 5K trail race in preparation for her big event, I had a blast and she made it out alive. I do not love running, I do love racing so it's usually a couch to 5k or 20K kinda day several times a year with an occasional trip to the podium. Trail running on my local trails certainly helps my riding, fitness and trail maintenance awareness greatly. Running has also brought me into contact with others that love trails and that I have been able to encouraged to pitch in on trail building days, more people more miles. I'm hoping that the 50-59 age group isn't as brutal as the 40s group.

mtbr member
    I actually generally feel better and healthier now than I did when I was thirty. Maybe not as strong or with as much endurance, but I feel better.
    Ditto, I have to keep doing something to hold back arthritis pain from past ruptured discs, multiple whiplashes, broken leg, kneecap, bent shoulder, and twisted knee muscles/tendons. So far, so good.

Dirt Abuser
    The key to my workouts nowadays is simply to avoid injury. Whether I'm running, biking, or working out in the gym, avoiding injury is the number one priority.
    I hear ya and second that. I tell myself that there are two rules to follow when I'm doing an activity/exercise. (Mtb, road, jog (trail), snowboard, light weights...)

Rule # 1: Don't get injured
    Rule # 2: Follow rule # 1

As most of us know already, recovering from injury >50 takes quite a while depending on your body type, injury and conditioning. And when your injured, there is no riding and enjoying the outdoors! While on a ride with my brother in-law, we were talking about taking downhills fast and his advice was 'you want to be able to ride the next day'.

mtbr member
    I hate running so bad that last year I did the Missoula (Mt) Half Marathon in July, then the Huntsville (Ut) Half Marathon in September, along with a 10k and a 5k with my grandson. I normally do a 5.1 mile loop a couple or three times a week when the streets are not icy and the air quality is not toxic. Started running because walking is boring, started walking because I had some IT band pain after 20 miles of cycling, a couple years ago. No more IT band issues but I'm still running and I think it compliments cycling. I'm 62.
    I ride, therefore I am.

dwt
    mtbr member

So who also runs?

Quote Originally Posted by BADDANDY View Post
    I did 50 pushups every day until a stupid motorcycle wreck 4 years ago. I'm back up to 15, but not daily yet. Still do 50 sit ups before each run though. OLD AGE SUCKS!
    I still do push-ups and bicycle ab workout. Need a good core for mtb but upper body gets neglected. I don't generally like the skinny man no chest no triceps no biceps upper body. I can climb just fine with a little meat on me thank you, and look a little more healthy with my shirt off. Not Channing Tatum healthy, mind you, but doing daily push-ups, no weight room at all, upped my jacket size from 42 to 44 in a little over a year, last year, my shoulders and chest grew so much. My wife said I had "man boobs". I said honey, those so called man boobs are freaking rock hard pecs, go ahead, touch 'em. She was impressed. It was the damn beer gut that ruined the picture.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yah I've been running as much as mtb the last few years--since Apr 14 I guess. Just did a full marathon last month and will be doing the Austin Marathon next month. Next big cycling event is San Diego Gran Fondo in Apr where I might do a bit of mtb as well. Toward summer and fall I might try a bit of uktra trail running.

Got a nice 16 mile run in yesterday. Generally holding under 10 min miles finally which isn't bad for 22% BF, 10 years past army retirement, chained to desk project manager job, and 53 years old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Yah I've been running as much as mtb the last few years--since Apr 14 I guess. Just did a full marathon last month and will be doing the Austin Marathon next month. Next big cycling event is San Diego Gran Fondo in Apr where I might do a bit of mtb as well. Toward summer and fall I might try a bit of uktra trail running.

Got a nice 16 mile run in yesterday. Generally holding under 10 min miles finally which isn't bad for 22% BF, 10 years past army retirement, chained to desk project manager job, and 53 years old.
    Awesome! Keep it up. But at 53 you're still a kid.
    I ride, therefore I am.

On wuss patrol
    I always have at least one bike in working order so I don't have to. Run, that is.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    53yo guy here. Brand new to running, not because I want to, but because I'm out of options.

I'm an avid Mt Biker. 2 or 3x a week during the season, with a 1x a week road ride in there too.. But as soon as the clock changes, my Mt biking is limited to sporadic weekends (fatbiking). Despite walking and a few nights per week at the gym, my weight climbs 10lbs. This year, I tried to make some changes. I finally joined a Crossfit gym and was doing pretty well for about 2.5 months. I really drank the Kool Aide with that and found myself being strangely addicted to the Workouts of the Day (WODs). But I ended up with a Rotator Cuff injury (yes, like so many other crossfitters), which is quite a setback. So while I deal with the Shoulder, I'm trying to keep some sort of exercise program going and have started running just a few days ago. 3 short runs under my belt so far, in Northern NJ 20 degree weather. I'm easing into it, with 2-3 mile runs (with some walking breaks).

I'm very prone to calf pulls and hamstring pulls. It's been suggested that it could be one of 4 issues: 1.) Dehydration. 2.) Inadequate Stretching. 3.) my Cholesterol meds 4.) My Tight Mt Biker legs that throw the whole chain off. I do think super hydration and stretching are helping, as I haven't experienced the painful pulls during this running upstart attempt. We'll see.

9 lives
    run like hell!

So who also runs?-11040855_1027649723952742_2008839379807452599_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    12 mile MTB ride on Sunday.
    2.2 mile run on Wednesday.
    4 hours of consistent skiing on Thursday.
    8 inch/1lb Apple fritter on Friday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I only run if a large predator is chasing me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I only run if a large predator is chasing me.
    Good reason to ride w/ budz ^^

i.e. You don't have to run (ride?) faster than the beast! Just faster than your budz o_0

-----------------------------------------------------------
    #1 resolution... Ride it like I stole it!!
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    The wife and I ran 3 and a half miles today

mtbr member
    Run to ride. Awesome cardio. Mostly intervals . Preseason running gets me up to speed much faster .

9 lives
    Cross referencing an article describing a study posted in the Women's Lounge. The results indicate that you don't need to run alot to benefit.

Some recent studies about fitness and exercise
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Running: high risk of joint injuries
    mountain biking: low risk of overuse injuries, but significant risk of orthopedic injuries (back, clavicle, hand/wrist, etc)--that's why I'm currently typing with one hand
    road riding: low risk of overuse injuries,non-zero risk of orthopedic injuries,non-zero risk of death

I do all of them...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I run about 30-35 miles a week and when the weather holds up bike at least double that. I mix in some bodyweight/dumbbell work a couple of days a week as well. My dad was a big runner and warned me not to overdo it like he did. He ran 60-100 miles per week for years with little regard to stretching/massage etc. He now has zero cartilage in his knees and is stuck walking. I hope I am being a bit smarter with it and run if it feels good and stretch after each run. I also use a foam roller religiously and a lacrosse ball for trouble spots. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    run like hell!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11040855_1027649723952742_2008839379807452599_n.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1048163
    This is awesome. I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in May (with a backpack and boots). That's gotta be an 8 donut day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    This is awesome. I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in May (with a backpack and boots). That's gotta be an 8 donut day.
    If you eat 9 donuts will you run faster?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BR46 View Post
    If you eat 9 donuts will you run faster?
    Nope, the only thing that makes me run faster is falling off cliffs. Even then I'd probably fall slower than average.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by paramount3 View Post
    road riding: low risk of overuse injuries,non-zero risk of orthopedic injuries,non-zero risk of death...other than when some distracted moron who's texting runs you over...
    Fixed

You realize non-zero is a double negative so therefore the opposite?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

dwt
    mtbr member

So who also runs?

Quit running 25 years ago in my 40's on Dr.'s advice when knees started aching, took up mt bike, later road bike as well. Now in my 60's have never looked back. Running was more like an addiction, mt bike like skiing, having fun while staying fit, but better fitness, road bike in between running & mt bike. Good training for mt bike. Crashes at high speed risk of severe injury(Distracted driver, front tire blow out, animal in road etc).

I see old runners my age hobbling at walking pace in pain and wonder why they still do it. Pedal Strokes don't hurt knees, feet, ankles, or hips

9 lives
    Weather is warmer and running again. Got a new pair of New Balance shoes which I'm enjoying. I've run 12km in total this week.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I want to see the equivalent doughnut chart for mountain biking.

Despite having had a bumper sticker that says 0.2 and in fine print (I only run for cyclocross), I've started running a very little bit. My main motivation is for bone density (they cycling isn't weight-bearing, but I don't think anyone who makes that claim singlespeeds). In any event, I'm now training for a triathlon (2 mile kayak, 7 mile bike, 3.5 mile run), just to give me a reason to run and work on upper body.

It turns out that so far at least, running isn't too bad (in small quantities).

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post

Despite having had a bumper sticker that says 0.2 and in fine print (I only run for cyclocross), I've started running a very little bit. My main motivation is for bone density (they cycling isn't weight-bearing, but I don't think anyone who makes that claim singlespeeds). In any event, I'm now training for a triathlon (2 mile kayak, 7 mile bike, 3.5 mile run), just to give me a reason to run and work on upper body.

That is an awesome sounding tri. Where is it held?

mtbr member
    I like to run when I don't have time to get out and ride. Running is nice because I can lace up my shoes and go. Riding is my first love for sure. Doesn't matter if it's road or MTB.

I'm not the best runner and in the beginning if I haven't ran in a while it's hard to tolerate the pain. Once I'm in the zone I can run 3 to 4 miles on trails with no issues. I have ran up to 8 miles wearing headphones and blasting my favorite tunes...lol!

Working up to 5 or 6 miles twice a week is my goal. I don't have the time or love to do more.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post

Yeah, that does sound like fun, where is it?

I did an adventure race a couple of years ago but just as I was dragging my kayak to the river, they closed the paddling portion as it had been raining all day and started lightning. Unfortunately, I was busy moving the next year and they discontinued the race after that so I never did get to combine my love for biking, running and kayaking. I've done a number of triathlons but I don't really enjoy swimming and I am s l o w .

Maybe we need a "who also kayaks" thread?
    chaz

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have played squash for nearly 50 years, sort of running, after a ball.

Running just for its own sake bores me.

9 lives
    Running an average of 15km in total per week since March. My pace is getting faster. Today I did a personal best 1 mile (1600m) in 6:24min ... As usual, I was the oldest in the group and the young guys were way ahead of me so I focused on keeping a steady pace and breathing calmly. We did intervals of 2 one mile runs. I was slower on my first interval (6:45) and faster on my second (6:24)

Tomorrow I'm doing a longer run on my own before mtb riding. I'm hoping my pace also reflects an improvement
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I started running about 1 1/2 years ago. Started out slowly, then worked my way up to doing a half-marathon. I would run 3-5 miles a day during the week, then do a longer run on Saturday (10-15 miles) and rest on Sunday. I think I was averaging 125-150 miles per month.

Then, I started having knee issues. After an MRI, I found that I had a worn/torn meniscus in my right knee as well as a large cyst behind the knee. Had surgery and rehab for 6 weeks in February. On my last follow up visit, I asked my doc about getting back into running. I was all set to go for a nice, slow 2-3 miles run that afternoon.

My doc looked at me and said, if I wanted a knee replacement in 1-2 years instead of maybe 10 years, to start running again. He said the wear and tear on my knee would be too great. He also said I had arthritis in my right knee, which I totally agree with.

Well, now it seems my left knee has arthritis too. Both knee feel very stiff, etc. So, I had to give up running and start riding my mountain bike. My knees still feel stiff, but not when riding the bike. I'm hoping to lay off running for a while, maybe until next year, then slowly ease back into it.

9 lives
    Ran 7.6 km this morning for a total of 20km this week. It was a beautiful morning, and I seemed to have the local roads and trails to myself It was a nice way to end the week.

So who also runs?-13320892_1765204127057364_4941592726404955107_o.jpg

So who also runs?-dscn0145.jpg

So who also runs?-dscn0136.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Cycologist
    Did a brick this morning, about 11 miles mountain biking and then a 3 mile trail run. Haven't done that in awhile, wasn't too bad. Took about a 10 minute break between.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Did a brick this morning, about 11 miles mountain biking and then a 3 mile trail run. Haven't done that in awhile, wasn't too bad. Took about a 10 minute break between.
    I like mixing my runs and rides as well
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I like mixing my runs and rides as well
    You both should try Duathalon.

mtbr member
    I was a triathlete while in grad school in the mid-80s, mostly because I had been a swimmer as a kid, (road) biked a lot with my then-boyfriend, and figured that running would be easy. I hated running and was the worst at it, but somehow in 2002, after moving to a new town and not having a decent bike, I got into it again as a way to explore and exercise.

Fast forward to now, and I have run nine marathons, set half and full marathon PRs a few years ago at age 50, frequently place in my AG in races, and still really enjoy running, both road and trail. My husband would rather mountain bike, though, so I ride with him a couple days per week in the summer. (In the winter we ski a couple days per week instead.)

I am probably not allowed to say it on this forum but...I like running better! (Mostly because I don't fall as much...)

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzle View Post
    You both should try Duathalon.
    I did one a couple of years ago, ride-run-ride. I wasn't too crazy about passing/being passed on the narrow singletrack. I've done about a half dozen sprint triathlons, swimming is definitely my weak point. I always swam as a kid but for some reason favored swimming underwater which isn't very fast for racing! But I did enjoy the bike portion. I just sold my tri bike though as I rarely rode it and I figure I'll just use my road bike if I ever do another tri (and I bought a cyclocross bike for commuting with the $). I did an adventure race a couple of years ago that was a lot of fun, despite it raining the whole time and the river portion getting cancelled just as I was dragging my kayak to the water. I was busy moving the next year (locally) and they stopped having the race after that. It was about a six hour race; it seems like most of the adventure races are a lot longer and too serious for me. I've been thinking about inquiring with a little local race promotor that puts on mountain bike and trail run races, including the duathlon I did, if she has considered putting on an off-road tri as one of the trail systems she uses is next to a slow river.

chaz

9 lives
    I did a 10km run today (before the rain) in a good time of 47 minutes. I liked that it was overcast and a little cooler which helped quicken my pace. I'm almost up to my goal of running 20 km/week. I've noticed that my cardio has improved since I started running and increased my distances and frequency of runs
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I did a 10km run today (before the rain) in a good time of 47 minutes. I liked that it was overcast and a little cooler which helped quicken my pace. I'm almost up to my goal of running 20 km/week. I've noticed that my cardio has improved since I started running and increased my distances and frequency of runs
    That's quite fast. If you're not racing, I recommend you slow down, especially as you're not running very high volume - that's more than half what you normally run in a week. The problem with people who do a lot of other sports (such as cycling!) starting to run is that your aerobic system is probably excellent, but your tendons and ligaments in your legs aren't used to the repeated pounding of running, and you're more likely to get injured.

Most of your runs should be at an easy pace, such that you could hold a conversation while running. If you're only running 20km/week, I wouldn't do any fast running other than strides (short hard efforts within an easy run with full recovery) or hill sprints (even shorter, and uphill). Plugging your mile time from your earlier post into the calculator at https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/ suggests you should be running most of your runs in the range of around 8:55-9:30 pace.

As for me, I am pretty much alternating run days and bike days - except tomorrow I'm taking out my whitewater raft instead!

9 lives
    ^ Thanks for the link ilanarama (It's a good reference) . I use MapMyRun to track my runs. According to my stats, I am getting progressively quicker since I first started running 2 years ago. The majority of my runs are short distances through the week and I do a 8 or 10k run every 4 to 6 weeks. My 10k yesterday was on flat pavement. I was faster than my normal pace but conditions seemed perfect ... the air was fresh. I was feeling strong.

I weight lift in addition to mtb
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Cycologist
    Yes, that is a fast pace! I'm running the Peachtree Road Race 10K with my daughter July 4th. I don't think we'll hit that pace! Actually, even though we both won our age groups in a 5K in December (I think I bragged about that earlier), it wasn't a qualifier for the Peachtree so we'll start way in the back and probably run 15K by the time we weave around the walkers, joggers, etc. I ran it seven years ago and it is a lot of fun running 10K with the streets lined with people cheering you on. It's also really flat compared to the trails we run but the heatů

chaz

9 lives
    Continuing to do early morning or late evening runs ... still hitting a good stride and goal of 15km per week

So who also runs?-13495115_1773770402867403_7055590633416435539_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would like to get back into some trail running. I say get back but I haven't really been running since high school. I think it will be a good way to mix it up with my dog, she likes to run.
    I know to start slowly. I have a good store for proper foot wear. Sometimes the local coaches put on running clinics, would this be a good idea?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I would like to get back into some trail running. I say get back but I haven't really been running since high school. I think it will be a good way to mix it up with my dog, she likes to run.
    I know to start slowly. I have a good store for proper foot wear. Sometimes the local coaches put on running clinics, would this be a good idea?
    I don't know that clinics are particularly useful if you're a new runner, but it depends on what they cover. Good thing about running is that it's fairly low on gear and technique! Just wear good shoes (actual running shoes, don't need actual trail running shoes unless your trails are rocky/rooty/steep), run at an easy pace, and make sure your route is one you know or that you have a map. If you'll be running on trails used by bikes, I find it best to run in the opposite direction of usual traffic. Don't wear earbuds or headphones. And be super-conscious of making sure your dog doesn't startle or get in the way of other trail users. Have fun! Trail running is great.

9 lives
    interesting article. Not only does running help improve cardio, it may also make you smarter!

https://theconversation.com/running-...eres-how-61454

I did a 3k sprint on Saturday (at the cf box) and did very well (I shaved off 12 seconds since the last 3k sprint 4 weeks ago). Sunday I did a 10k easy pace run in the morning... and actually felt good during and after. Did a late afternoon ride.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

psycho cyclo addict
    No more of that for me.I ran on soccer fields for 30 years. Stopped doing that after I shredded my ACL.

Surgery + longgg rehab was a success. Lower impact activities seemed like the right move and it is when I got more seriously into MTB riding.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Cycologist
    Ran the Peachtree Road Race with my 17 yo daughter on the fourth! It was a lot hotter than I am used to and we started so far back that we were running through mostly walkers the whole time but we still enjoyed it. Took her kayaking on Saturday and took my son on Sunday (I only have two kayaks). Alas, a rare no-bike weekend for me.

9 lives
    Did a 11.5km (about 7 mi) run on Sunday morning (when it was cooler and overcast) I'm up to 20km total/week which was the goal I set for myself. I've found that my cardio has improved and I've lost a little weight

So who also runs?-13619986_1787443351500108_7024750074361671065_n.jpg

So who also runs?-xnmlcjv.jpg

So who also runs?-13775630_1787443128166797_1816606582554028918_n.jpg

So who also runs?-13754149_1787443194833457_3303067114228900526_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

On wuss patrol
    I ran this year, once back in January.

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been since 72' and was running long before really getting into cycling. ran the Leadville100 7 times, only 1 finish, and after hitting 50 decided to give the knees a brake and do mostly cycling now. I still run but only about 15-20 miles a week.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by ejh View Post
    I've been since 72' and was running long before really getting into cycling. ran the Leadville100 7 times, only 1 finish, and after hitting 50 decided to give the knees a brake and do mostly cycling now. I still run but only about 15-20 miles a week.
    15 to 20 miles per week is amazing! (24 to 32 km).

I reached my goal of 20km/ week by August and now I am starting to surpass that so I need to set a new target.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    15 to 20 miles per week is amazing! (24 to 32 km).

I reached my goal of 20km/ week by August and now I am starting to surpass that so I need to set a new target.

when training for Leadville I would on some weeks put in 85-90 miles a week with a 35-40 mile run on Saturday, bike ride on sunday, and monday's were a rest day

mtbr member
    I run occasionally these days. It used to be daily for an hour for a few decades - more cruising than sprinting, I was never interested in competing, it just seemed a logical way to cover ground on trails.

Last run was 10km round the local mtb course we use for the annual 24 hour. I've done slower laps using the bike - maybe that should be my new strategy, just carry the bike.

(For me running is much faster over the technical bits than the bike)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57║36' Highlands, Scotland

Brackish
    I challenged myself to complete C25K this spring, did it and have been running rlatively consistently since then. I like it because it breaks up my workouts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast