mtbr member

Shingrix vaccine for shingles

Just got my second Shringix vaccine injection for shingles yesterday -- it's a two-injection series, two to six months apart. I got the regular shingles vaccine (Zostavax) when I turned 65, but the Shingrix vaccine is more effective (90% effective vs 27% effective) and therefore is highly recommended.

First, it's not fun. The injection itself is painful and my upper arm is really tender; this is the same situation as the first injection where the site of the injection and surrounding muscle stayed tender and stiff for three or four days.

Second, it can be expensive ($160) if not covered by insurance. If you are on MediCare, it's covered under Part D (prescription) as long as you have met your deductible.

I have a friend who had shingles and it's still bothersome 5 months later and it was incredibly painful; sounds horrible, really.

You can start Shingix as early as age 50. I mentioned to the pharmacist that I know someone in her mid 30s who was just diagnosed with shingles, and he said that more people are being diagnosed at earlier ages with shingles.

Here's the CDC page: Shingles Vaccination
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    I've been trying to get it and there's a waiting list.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Shingles is nothing to mess with. I got it late 2014 early 2015 and it was brutal. Impaired my vision but thankfully it cleared up after 6 months and vision returned.

I got the vaccine in late 2016, and plan to get this one.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk