Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Hope 11 speed slx paired with zee crank..

hey i know this is out of the topic, but i would like to ask if an 11 speed SLX cogs and RD compatible with a shimano ZEE crank 36T?? thank you for the future respond... planning to build a 1 x 11 with slx 11speed components but a ZEE crank..

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rm91 View Post
    hey i know this is out of the topic, but i would like to ask if an 11 speed SLX cogs and RD compatible with a shimano ZEE crank 36T?? thank you for the future respond... planning to build a 1 x 11 with slx 11speed components but a ZEE crank..
    I've never used that particular combination but I cannot imagine that it wouldn't work.
    I like turtles

Anytime. Anywhere.
    36t? There are world cup CX racers on 34s.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    tnx for encouraging me to try it lol.. though i am hesitant...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    travis im not competing for world cup XD i just want my set up to fit my kind of ride.. a mix of XC and enduro and DH.. if its possible ahahaha

😁Have a great day!😁
    So on the new Scott Genius I ordered, wondering what to do if I decide to go 1X(it has 2x10). I have 1x11 on my hardtail and really like it. I don't want to spend too much money but wondering if I could switch to maybe 1X10 using same rear derailleur and shifter and replacing front with maye 30T. Can't hurt to try it I guess, I have a 30T from my other bike? FYI, Are these decent components?

Crankset: Shimano Deore FD-M618-E, DM
    Front D: Shimano XT RD-M786 SGS
    Rear D: Shimano XT RD-M786 SGS
    Cassette: Shimano CS-HG81-10, 11-36
    Last edited by Yalerider; 05-19-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You can get a Wolftooth Goatlink, and a Sunrace 11-42 10 speed cassette. The derailleur and goatlink will also work with an 11 speed cassette. It's also possible to go smaller than a 30t ring in the 64 BCD granny position. Rings will give a good chainline because they're made of 1X.

😁Have a great day!😁
    Thanks! I think I will get the goatlink and 11-42 Sunrace cassette. Otherwise too much going on with twinloc remote dropper remote etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You can get a Wolftooth Goatlink, and a Sunrace 11-42 10 speed cassette. The derailleur and goatlink will also work with an 11 speed cassette. It's also possible to go smaller than a 30t ring in the 64 BCD granny position. Rings will give a good chainline because they're made of 1X.
    This. I did it on my fat bike. 26t AB oval. 11-42 sunrace 10 speed cassette. XT 10 speed shifter and RD. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

meatier showers
    ... Rings will give a good chainline because they're made of 1X.
    1X = wonder material! Everything should be made of it LOL!
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Yes, now made of 1X, stronger, lighter, faster.

😁Have a great day!😁
    So I could get a 11 speed shifter and go 1x11 with following parts(if derailleur will work with 11 speed)? I have a SRAM 30T chainring but not sure if it would be compatible, might have to get new chainring also?

Shimano SLX M7000 11 Speed Right Rear Shifter

Sunrace MX8 11-40T / 11-42T 11-Speed MTB Cassette fit Shimano SRAM 1x11 CSMX8

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...ts/goatlink-11

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Narrow wide rings are normally 10 and 11 compatible.

mtbr member
    A few years ago I went 1x10 by running only the middle ring on my fs 29r and missed the easy gears. Shifting was flawless even without the narrow wide parts. I just finished building my new 140mm 27.5 fs bike and went with the narrow wide fully designed for single chain ring with boost and for the most part I haven't missed the 2nd and 3rd chain rings, except for one idiosyncratic issue that may be limited to a few people. When I'm picking my way through rock gardens I'll sometimes ratchet my cranks to ensure my pedals don't strike rocks and that I'm in my best part of the power stroke for getting over obstacles. Sometimes when I'm in my lowest gear the chain will track down the cassette as I back pedal to set my pedals and then when I go for power it shifts back up the cassette and messes me up due to high misalignment. I may be able to unlearn that technique but at 52 I may not. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something I'll need to adapt to or have I messed up the setup on this build?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The back pedal issue normally only happens in the big cog, and not to everyone. Chainline effects this. There is a thread in Drivetrain.

meatier showers
    ... There is a thread in Drivetrain.
    Here it is.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

I'm enjoying this thread. Up until two weeks ago, both my bikes were 3x9. I knew they were antiquated, but I could see no sense in throwing good money at nine year old and five year old bikes. So I put them on Craigslist, and now I'm rockin' a modern bike with 1x12.
    Admittedly, it's kind of boutiquey at this point and 1x11 would be almost as good. But the sun is clearly setting on the front derailleur.

😁Have a great day!😁
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    I'm enjoying this thread. Up until two weeks ago, both my bikes were 3x9. I knew they were antiquated, but I could see no sense in throwing good money at nine year old and five year old bikes. So I put them on Craigslist, and now I'm rockin' a modern bike with 1x12.
    Admittedly, it's kind of boutiquey at this point and 1x11 would be almost as good. But the sun is clearly setting on the front derailleur.
    My bike is brand new so that why I don't want to switch over yet, although it sounds like if I go with 1x10 I only have to get Goatlink and maybe 1x10 cassette to get the lower gear.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    2017 Diamondback Sync'r HT
    MTB is therapy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    I did this a few years ago and I can generally say after almost 30 years of riding the 1x setup was the most amazing difference on the bike that I can point too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really? Have you tried disc brakes, dual suspension, a dropper post, or modern frame geometry? These are game changers and are much more important than changing to a single chain ring.

mtbr member
    I get a chuckle reading Mountain Bike Action, when reviewing a 1x11 and calling the 30 tooth front sprocket "under geared."

Man, I could use a few more gears in the back. One thing for sure, a 1x11 makes a 50+ year old work a lot harder.

I'm gonna count my chain ring when I get home, as it feels like I'm turning a 32 tooth.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    I get a chuckle reading Mountain Bike Action, when reviewing a 1x11 and calling the 30 tooth front sprocket "under geared."

Man, I could use a few more gears in the back. One thing for sure, a 1x11 makes a 50+ year old work a lot harder.

I'm gonna count my chain ring when I get home, as it feels like I'm turning a 32 tooth.

When I specced my new Warden 2.5 years ago, I went from 2X9 to 1X10, and made sure that I had the same gear inch granny gear. 28 X 11-42 gets it done here, and these days I rarely use the 42, and never use the 11 on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You guys make me feel like one badass old dude! I wore out my 30 & bought a 32T oval. I am now having a hard time keeping my chain on and am moving up to a 34T oval. I m also spending more time out of the saddle and enjoying it quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ttchad View Post
    You guys make me feel like one badass old dude! I wore out my 30 & bought a 32T oval. I am now having a hard time keeping my chain on and am moving up to a 34T oval. I m also spending more time out of the saddle and enjoying it quite a bit.
    Oops! I need to wait 5 more years before I can post here. I just saw 1x11.

mtbr member
    Over the course of about 2 years I went from 3 x 8, 2 x 10 and now 1 x 11. I like the 1 x 11 the most.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Well at 54 now and have been on 3x9 for years but my new build should be done tomorrow
    and sports the new 1x12 eagle. Excited to see how it works out and since so many here have gone 1x and love it i thought i should make the jump. my old set up had a 22 x 36 low gear on 26" wheels so hoping the 32 x 50 with 27.5 rear wheel will have at least the same or better low gear for the steep climbs on my local trails.

jalepenio jimenez
    fxr - just looking at simple gear ratios 22/36=0.61 versus 32/50=0.64, without taking wheel size into consideration, you are looking at a higher gear ratio than what you are used to, but at your age, you should be able to handle that ratio for most hills. Taking wheel size into account, ratio would be even higher for 27.5. Still, you're going to love it, and if it's too tough, just go to a 30 tooth chain ring (30/50=.60)
    I went with 28x42 for a 0.66 ratio on a 27.5 setup and don't use the 42 tooth cog that often, and that at 67 years old, so you should be fine.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I converted my S works FSR stumpy 26 to 27.5 and went to a 1X11 with 30 up front. I then picked up a set of EC 90 29" wheels and put on 700C X 35 gravel tires that I pop on the stumpy for riding with roadies. The bike works well as duel purpose but lacked high end and real low end. Went back to 3 X 9. XTR crank 44-33-22 rings with XTR front derailleur. I am shifting with Sram XO grip shift. Rear setup is Sram XO mid cage and 11-34 sram 991. Pretty quiet and shifts flawless.
    On my fat bike I have 1X11 Sram setup with 42 up front and 11X42 in rear running Maxxis Minion 4.8 X 26 tires. Would love to drop the 11 tooth and add a 50 tooth in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the info and doing the math. I will try this setup to see how it works out and now I can see that my granny will be higher and admittedly I used all of my previous low gears on my local trails. I will hopefully get stronger so it's not an issue but knowing I can go to 30 if need be is very helpful.
    Again thanks for the reply..!!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Inches Chart Here, use this with gear inches and you can do a direct comparison regardless of wheel size.

mtbr member
    I recently converted to 1x11. 24t chainring and 11-42 cassette. I've only ridden a few times since converting, but the immediate results have been great!

Before conversion, my climbing gear was a 34t top ring and the small 22t chainring. Since converting, I am climbing better in 3rd gear at 24x32 (0.75 gear ratio) than I ever did 22x34 (0.65 gear ratio). Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I'll take it. I still haven't been in the top two gears (37 and 42), but we have a ride coming up this weekend that will really test that. A ridiculously steep, slick-rock climb that I've never made more than 1/2 way.

😁Have a great day!😁
    I put my 1x11 Sunrace cassette, new Shimano XT shifter and oval chainring on but I can't get the shifter to go on 46T granny gear. It almost seems like they sent me a 10 speed shifter. No markings on it. With cable disconnected only shifts 9 times.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

😁Have a great day!😁
    Seems to be shifting 10 times now but still won't climb on last cog. Limit screws are good chain is taught. B screw bottomed out might need a longer one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shifting to 1x11-img_0099.jpg  

Last edited by Yalerider; 06-13-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Time for a new bunch of threads for anyone who didn't go 11. It looks like we'll see a whole bunch of GX Eagle bikes soon.

I meant that to be as silly as it was serious because just yesterday my wife said after 2 years she doesn't see the need to change the 32t that was stock with her 11 speed to the 30t I bought with it but I do understand where the 12 speed range would help some.

We are considering a bike more like her Remedy 29 and the idea of a closeout 11 speed seems more attractive than more money for 12 with both far more attractive than some Shimano 2x we see in our size.

Our Honzo with poor man's Deore 1x has a lot of parts wear and NX looks like a better idea than 3rd party stuff for more 10 speed range.

Knowing this is our old fart's section of the forum.... My wife and I have been doing our best to ride often and at mid-June I'm 155 miles of single track ahead of last year. It's look in the mirror honesty, but the riding does a lot to overcome thinking gearing is the answer. That's a lot of on and off the bench from cancer for her and some wearing out parts for me.

ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by Yalerider View Post
    Seems to be shifting 10 times now but still won't climb on last cog. Limit screws are good chain is taught. B screw bottomed out might need a longer one.
    You might check your hanger for straightness. It doesn't need to be too far tweaked to shift poorly.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

😁Have a great day!😁
    I sent a message to company I ordered kit from. They are local so maybe I can just bring bike in. It just seems like I got a 10 speed shifter but i can't tell. I did put Wolftooth Goatlink II on and it shift nice for first 10 cogs anyway
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Do you get 10 clicks out of the Shifter? If so then it's 11 speed. 10 shifts plus the one you started in equals 11! Check your limit screws and B-tension.

mtbr member
    One other nice thing about 1x is that, with the smaller front ring, I'm easily clearing obstacles that I'd catch with larger chainrings up front.

😁Have a great day!😁
    I sent a message to company I ordered kit from. They are local so maybe I can just bring bike in. It just seems like I got a 10 speed shifter but i can't tell. I did put Wolftooth Goatlink II on and it shift nice for first 10 cogs anyway
    Yep with cable unhooked it will shift 11 times but when hooked up it will not. Cable gets too tight. I got tired of messing with for now and just riding.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

My cup runneth over
    I went from a 22/32/44 11-36 to a short trial on a 30 10-50 Eagle and am now on 26/38 10-42. I would have needed to run a 38 front with the Eagle to get the top end I wanted and would have been miserable on the climbs. Even though I ride in CO I still have lots of pedally downhills I love to keep pedaling on - not one to coast unless steeper than 'pedally'.

One interesting thing I discovered while following the 'Primal Endurance' training/diet recently is that I also need the low, low gear in order to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone (for me <125) (I am firmly in the 'try not to walk anything camp' - each to their own). Impossible to keep it there riding up any challenging tech stuff, but I have been using the 26 front/42 back a ton in an attempt to keep my heart rate lower (sometimes higher gears help in this area too). I do see a lot default 2x systems having barely any different range compared to Eagle but if you want to extend at both ends of the range 2x is still a great choice.

1x is so popular and meets such a large percentage of riders' needs that I worry that the availability of quality frames that can take a FD is going to dwindle to nothing (already very low) which will be a great disappointment to the few of us who still want them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere earlier in this thread, but if you're going 1x go ahead and get the AbsoluteBlack oval chainring while you're at it. Not even close to the Biopace crap that was out several years ago. I just switched my new ride from the stock round single up front to an AB and my knees thank me very much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Agree with the 2x as I have the eagle now and would like a higher gear then 32 x 50 gives me but I also need a lower gear for the steep ass climbs on my local trails and should have gone with 2x xtr but wanted to try 1x and sram as I've always been on shimano.. Just saw that SRAM has a new oval for the eagle that's has 32,34,36,38 tooth choices. Think I might try the 32 as it won't help on the high side but might help with more torque in the low gear for climbing.

mtbr member
    I had a 2x10 Shimano system which worked quite well. Converted to a 1x11 and haven't looked back. Dropped about a pound, gained simplicity and got a lower gear (did lose a bit of top end but that's fine with me). No dropped chains and it's quiet... so far.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. Both can be made to work for just about any riding conditions.
    I am not going to rush off and get rid of my 2x10 until it breaks or I change bikes and the new one happens to come 1x.
    I doubt 1x or 2x would be a deal breaker for me.
    I'm showing my age but my recent return to cycling after 12 years was a revelation anyway. My old 2000 Jeykll (a pretty slick machine back in the day) was 3x. So this new fangled 2x stuff was pretty slick to me.
    To be fair, my current riding hardly sees me to use the small ring. Though it's handy when playing in the dunes etc.
    I used it a bit when I was first getting bike fit (riding too far and the climb back home was a grim prospect), and playing in the loose sand to get a feel for what my fatty could do. But now beach rides tend to stick to below the high tide line. In large part because most rides are mixed surface and the novelty of changing pressures mid ride gets lame pretty quick.
    For the amount I use the small CR I could just dump the ring and shifter and do the odd manual shift when required. But the FD is there and does no harm and works when needed.
    Bike being rigid with no dropper, handle bar real estate is not an issue.
    I'm sure the "future" FS fatty or plus bike will be a 1x of some description with lockout and dropper levers all over the place.

mtbr member
    I really don't care about the top end, if I can get 18-20 mph that's all I need. But the low end I need all I can get. I currently ride a 22-36 and spend plenty of time there when riding around Sun Valley. It looks to me that it would take a 28-46 to get the same low gear. Good to see that there are some big cassettes coming out. Treks new Roscoe has this gearing on a 27.5 plus bike that is on my short list.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I really don't care about the top end, if I can get 18-20 mph that's all I need. But the low end I need all I can get. I currently ride a 22-36 and spend plenty of time there when riding around Sun Valley. It looks to me that it would take a 28-46 to get the same low gear. Good to see that there are some big cassettes coming out. Treks new Roscoe has this gearing on a 27.5 plus bike that is on my short list.
    My wife is running 26x42. That's almost exactly the same as 22x36.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I am frequently in the top 10% of descending times on my 28-11/42, top end shmop end. I look forward to the day when we stop wasting valuable metal on front derailleurs, and put it into cassettes and chains I have come to the realization, that if I had 12-37 on the back, it would still give me all the trail range I need.

mtbr member
    I look forward to the day when we stop wasting valuable metal on front derailleurs, and put it into cassettes and chains
    Is there a shortage on cassettes and chains? I was doing some shopping yesterday and the vendors I checked seemed pretty well stocked.

There's some segments down here where you'd be hard pressed to hang in the top 10% with your gearing.
    I brake for stinkbugs

My cup runneth over
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Is there a shortage on cassettes and chains? I was doing some shopping yesterday and the vendors I checked seemed pretty well stocked.

There's some segments down here where you'd be hard pressed to hang in the top 10% with your gearing.
    TB would have KOMed those downhills with a little more top end!

The couple of downhill KOMs I have this year all were on downhills with some pedally sections - I may be benefiting from all the 1x guys losing speed there.

Apologies for making Strava times something of value!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You need a climbing gear!

I met a lady on a local climb (ten miles, 4000' + vertical), she was on the way down from Lake Tahoe, I was on the way up, and she was suprised I could climb it.

I run a 26 x 46, she had the Eagle running 32 x 50. I told her to get a 28t and she'd be golden.

The only folks who can run a 32 x 50 are top athletes or folks who don't do big climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by fxr man View Post
    Agree with the 2x as I have the eagle now and would like a higher gear then 32 x 50 gives me but I also need a lower gear for the steep ass climbs on my local trails and should have gone with 2x xtr but wanted to try 1x and sram as I've always been on shimano.. Just saw that SRAM has a new oval for the eagle that's has 32,34,36,38 tooth choices. Think I might try the 32 as it won't help on the high side but might help with more torque in the low gear for climbing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    You need a climbing gear!

I met a lady on a local climb (ten miles, 4000' + vertical), she was on the way down from Lake Tahoe, I was on the way up, and she was suprised I could climb it.

I run a 26 x 46, she had the Eagle running 32 x 50. I told her to get a 28t and she'd be golden.

The only folks who can run a 32 x 50 are top athletes or folks who don't do big climbing.
    Hah I ride a 34 oval with 50 on the back....I can manage a little over 500 vertical meters per hour......and that is up a East Slope Rockies climbs.....on 29 inch tires...

Not an athlete.

I do spin out on some of the downhills...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Must be a lot of top athletes out there. Thats a pretty low gear IMO.
    I brake for stinkbugs

😁Have a great day!😁
    Yep with cable unhooked it will shift 11 times but when hooked up it will not. Cable gets too tight. I got tired of messing with for now and just riding.
    So Camas Bike shop finally figured it out. Had to take off the Goatlink which was in place of original link and it works fine(so no link). So now have 30 front and 46 rear. Climbs really well. FYI ordered some CB clip pedals wish me luck!
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

😁Have a great day!😁
    Liking this 30t 11-46.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Shifting to 1x11

Liking this 30t 11-46.
    How fast do you ride? What wheel size? Plus?

Our fat bikes seem OK with 30t. Our 29r with 30t to 11 will spin out too soon. With 29r and Shimano I miss the SRAM 32t to 10t no matter how good a granny gear migh seem.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

fc
    stoked Administrator
    1x11 works really well, specially with a 30t and maybe a 46t big cog for steeper climbs or creaky knees.

1x12 works even better since the shift points are much better. More speed and spin too with a bigger front ring. And most important, it's cheaper now for Eagle GX at $495 for the group. So maybe we'll see it in bikes under $3k.

SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain first ride review - Mtbr.com
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm running 28 in the front and 11-49 in the back thanks to Absolute Black and Wolftooth and did them both for $140

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Up until a couple months ago I thought I was getting all the benefit available out of my dropper post. It got the seat out of my way so I became unafraid to get behind the bike and stay off the brakes. No need to slow down for the corners anymore. Yay! True low elevation flying!

But then something happened that took me to the next level. Even faster than before. With the post down I learned to put my bike into top gear (28x11) and stand & crank whenever the grade permitted. Not just sit there. Now I often spin my top gear out. Until I'd reached Phase III, I never thought I would spin my top gear out while riding singletrack, but finally I do exactly that. Often! Spin out in top gear on singletrack. Amazing!

I understand why guys want a 9t or 10t small cog. I get it. Here on Oregon's flow trails, I've exhausted my 11t cog many times.

As my riding buddy Ken says, in order to benefit from a dropper post, one has to learn to ride a whole different way. Think I finally got it.

...and might need an XD driver.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You guys have much stronger knees than I do.

I finally switched from a 3x to a 2x. I like a really really low gear to climb. The climbs I do are moderately long and steep. My 3x was 22x30x40 with a 11x42 cassette. I can spend a lot of time on the steep climbs in the 22/42 combination. I recently put a 24x34 2x crank on and changed to a SunRace 11x46. Gives me pretty much the same low gear and a high gear thats slightly higher than my 3x second highest gear. I like the spread overall and the better shifting of the 2x. This is on my 27.5" MTB. I even thought about swapping the 24 out for a 22, this would give me an ultra low gear. I was able to try the 22/46 out when I put the cassette on but did not have the new cranks yet. At my normal climbing cadence of around 60-70 rpm, was still moving fast enough to stay on and control the bike.

How low is too low?

I might be slow, but I like to climb.

Joel

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    In my opinion older is better, they were building bikes that were intended to be your bike, now the marketing twist is building highly specific/targeted bikes so 2 or 3 are nice to have depending on where/with whom you are planning to go. I have a 27 speeds SWorks hardtail no disc, 26in and love it, 23 pounds Alu and a recent carbon hardtail 29, 21 pounds 32-10/42 ,, they each have qualities but i feel if i need space the 11 speeds will go the oldie is just more versatile. I also have a 10 yo road/touring bike and i love those triple chainrings they are just waiting to be activated like we can pull a rabbit out of a hat. To me 1x11 is for racers the weight counts but with more choices it climbs like a real light bike if saving 1/10 of a second is not your thing
    PS. For a fat i would go 1x11 but i like my 20 speeds

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    trying to delete, sorry

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I am running 2x10 38/24-11/34 Shimano all SLX drivetrain, and it works great. No noise from the FD. Just changed the cables to Jagwire Mountain Pro, and it shifts better than ever. I maintain the FD and RD, and the drivetrain. Before this bike, I was running a beat up Giant 26" with a 3x8 setup.

I have been intrigued by all of this 1x stuff, but for the moment, I see no need to switch. I only have one bike, a 29er. During the week, I access the Israel National Trail which is 2 miles from my house. There are no huge drops or long ascents. There are, however, some very short and steep drops with correspondingly short, steep ascents, sort of like a chute. I normally hit it hard going down, and shift into granny gear just before the descent so I can pedal out. I am sure I could do this with a 34 front and 11x46 rear. The problem is when winter comes (Nov.-Mar.), and the rains start, the trail becomes unrideable, totally mudded out, and I ride through the streets to get to a city park and the beachfront where there are bike paths which are relatively flat, and you can really get up to speed. If I don't ride the streets, there will be no riding during the week as I don't have the time to get to the areas with rideable trails. On the weekends, it's off to the Negev or the Judean hills, which are rideable, and once again, I need granny gear for the ascents.

For the moment the 2x10 setup works for me. I have noticed that fewer and fewer bikes are coming with mounts for the FD.

Eventually, I plan on buying a used CX bike which I can use for winter riding during the week. At that point, a 1x system 34/32-46 or similar is something that would make sense. I also don't run a dropper. If I did, running a 1x would really start to look good.

At the end of the day, it's what works for you. I should add that I was all set to upgrade to XT or XTR shifters, and swapping out to higher end lubricated cables made a much bigger difference than I imagined.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Galeforce5 View Post
    I am running 2x10 38/24-11/34 Shimano all SLX drivetrain, and it works great. No noise from the FD. Just changed the cables to Jagwire Mountain Pro, and it shifts better than ever. I maintain the FD and RD, and the drivetrain. Before this bike, I was running a beat up Giant 26" with a 3x8 setup.

I have been intrigued by all of this 1x stuff, but for the moment, I see no need to switch. I only have one bike, a 29er. During the week, I access the Israel National Trail which is 2 miles from my house. There are no huge drops or long ascents. There are, however, some very short and steep drops with correspondingly short, steep ascents, sort of like a chute. I normally hit it hard going down, and shift into granny gear just before the descent so I can pedal out. I am sure I could do this with a 34 front and 11x46 rear. The problem is when winter comes (Nov.-Mar.), and the rains start, the trail becomes unrideable, totally mudded out, and I ride through the streets to get to a city park and the beachfront where there are bike paths which are relatively flat, and you can really get up to speed. If I don't ride the streets, there will be no riding during the week as I don't have the time to get to the areas with rideable trails. On the weekends, it's off to the Negev or the Judean hills, which are rideable, and once again, I need granny gear for the ascents.

For the moment the 2x10 setup works for me. I have noticed that fewer and fewer bikes are coming with mounts for the FD.

Eventually, I plan on buying a used CX bike which I can use for winter riding during the week. At that point, a 1x system 34/32-46 or similar is something that would make sense. I also don't run a dropper. If I did, running a 1x would really start to look good.

At the end of the day, it's what works for you. I should add that I was all set to upgrade to XT or XTR shifters, and swapping out to higher end lubricated cables made a much bigger difference than I imagined.
    The 11 speeds will frustrate you. I have no car so i ride to and from trails. Presently 32, 10-42 the top is fine but i would appreciate 28 teeths in front on some occasions if i switch to the 28 my top speed will be too low, just a good range but with 2 or 3 chainrings the range gets great and the bike is enjoyable in more places. I tought the 1 ring was for the jumpers who were complaining of chain dropping but in a way it is marketing giving a reason for a new bike purchase IMHO.
    Last edited by 33red; 08-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    The 11 speeds will frutrate you. I have no car so i ride to and from trails. Presently 32, 10-42 the top is fine but i would appreciate 28 teeths in front on some occasions if i switch to the 28 my top speed will be too low, just a good range but with 2 or 3 chainrings the range gets great and the bike is enjoyable in more places. I tought the 1 ring was for the jumpers who were complaining of chain dropping but in a way it is marketing giving a reason for a new bike purchase IMHO.
    Like I said, I am intrigued, but see no reason to change at this time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, as they say. I see the appeal, but would rather save my $$ for other stuff.

😁Have a great day!😁
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    How fast do you ride? What wheel size? Plus?

Our fat bikes seem OK with 30t. Our 29r with 30t to 11 will spin out too soon. With 29r and Shimano I miss the SRAM 32t to 10t no matter how good a granny gear migh seem.
    27.5 I ride as fast as I feel like I guess. I have plent of top end for our local trails. I do have a Wolftooth 34T I could put on when I travel to faster trails.
    2016 Scott Genius 720 FS
    MTB is therapy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12