mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Riding and Sleep

At 53 I am finding that getting a good night's sleep after rides -even non training rides. It's as if my body just stays wired all night making it tough to get quality zzz's.

Anyone else experience this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I know exactly what you mean! I'm 56 and have been having this issue for a few years now. For me, it doesn't matter if I ride in the morning or afternoon, I have a hard time falling asleep (most of the time). I've tried many of the well known remedies or techniques and still have the problem.

It really affects me when I do high intensity training rides. The thing that works for me (sometimes) is relaxing an hour before bed by reading and to make sure my bedroom is cool. I'd like to hear what others have to say.

mtbr member
    What is your intake of cafeine and your generak diet afterwards?? It may have an effect as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Melatonin, 1mg.

YMMV.

Flame away.

mtbr member
    I mostly train in the morning and don't have problems sleeping in the evening. If I do a late ride or a night ride, then it is tough for me to get to sleep. I like to stretch for 10-15 minutes before bed any day I've trained.
    Giant Reign Adv
    Hightower 29
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Giant TCX
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 24" - son's

mtbr member
    At 37 I'm not qualified to post here, but I also experience difficulty getting a good night's sleep after riding, esp. after night rides. I'm buzzing like an excited little child, and although I can feel my body needing rest, my brain won't cooperate.

The worst thing to do then is sit on the computer and read about bikes. A light meal and a glass of wine can help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

53 sleep is lost.

Shoot I am getting back into riding in hopes of being able to sleep. I think work, being on call 7X24x365 is not helping either. I was hoping riding after work would help me sleep...
    Last edited by StrykeTWO; 03-21-2017 at 04:15 AM. Reason: add text

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The almost always on call nature of my work hurts this idea of getting sleep. Riding 3-6 times a week helps. The stress is worse in winter. I figured out the on call or stress part via an annual trip we do that's outside of the US. It's expensive and expensive for me to have someone cover my business but I've learned a lesson and will try to escape more.

Overall I think you just sleep less and less sound with age. I'll see what the new mattress just ordered will do to help. It's dawned on me that any sleeping position can mean waking up with some aches.

The worst or best of all this is not keeping at physical activity makes all the aches and stress worse.

mtbr member
    Rocdog, what time do you ride?

I sleep pretty well myself and am riding or at the gym 6 of 7 days a week.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    "Overall I think you just sleep less and less sound with age"

This. I even spoke with my doc about this a couple of weeks ago when I had a physical. I have a routine and can fall asleep most nights by 12. Problem is, in the last year or so, I wake up too early... usual 530-6. After that, falling back asleep is not easy. Doc said may be male menopause. Fyi just turned 52

mtbr member
    Night shift person here. ~10yrs this go around. Melatonin or 5-HTP indeed helps get a full night's sleep-once you get to sleep(they're not the same thing).
    I rarely use my 5-HTP, because it leaves me drowsy if I don't get in close to 8hrs, which I rarely budget time for. I dream more, or more memorably, whenever I take it, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Distant-Ocean-Surf/dp/B0018NV7NM is what works for me on a daily basis.
    I get energized in the daytime, and will often stay up until the afternoon, sometimes 6-7pm(and have to be up by 9:30!) if left to my own devices.
    If I'll just lay down, cover my eyes, and put on the ocean surf, though, I'm out in minutes, no matter what time it is.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Melatonin, 1mg.

YMMV.

Flame away.
    I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    What is your intake of cafeine and your generak diet afterwards?? It may have an effect as well.
    I only consume one cup of coffee in the morning and follow a Paleo type for the most part-some whole grains here and there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Rocdog, what time do you ride?

I sleep pretty well myself and am riding or at the gym 6 of 7 days a week.
    During the work week a ride around 3-4pm with bedtime around 9:30. On the weekends mid-morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    "Overall I think you just sleep less and less sound with age"

This. I even spoke with my doc about this a couple of weeks ago when I had a physical. I have a routine and can fall asleep most nights by 12. Problem is, in the last year or so, I wake up too early... usual 530-6. After that, falling back asleep is not easy. Doc said may be male menopause. Fyi just turned 52
    I'm programmed to wake up early because of my work schedule, so even on the weekends I won't stay up late anymore barring any social activities, etc. That way, i can still grab 7-8 hours of decent sleep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StrykeTWO View Post
    Shoot I am getting back into riding in hopes of being able to sleep. I think work, being on call 7X24x365 is not helping either. I was hoping riding after work would help me sleep...
    It might. How different people respond to exercise varys enormously.
    A hard ride often makes me sleepy, sometimes to the point of taking a nap right after.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I try to ride in the mornings or afternoon-sleep like a baby at night, I am 59 years old and ride a fatbike or 29r. Try to limit my sugar intake after dinner and no caffeine if possible. Works for me-and no Gatorade of any kind.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 53 and an avid Mtn Biker, cyclist and fitness person for many years. I've also been struggling with chronic insomnia for many years! It comes and goes. Any vigorous or intense exercise done within like a few hours before bedtime can exacerbate insomnia. This is one piece of basic sleep hygiene. I work days, and try to get my workouts and rides in after work, and done at least a few hours before bedtime.
    Just fyi - if this may be helpful - is called "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" for insomnia or CBT-I. Just some extra info if you wanted it: SHUTi | A proven online CBTi program for insomnia
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    May 2004
    fyi - melatonin and all that didn't do Jack S*T for me!
    BUT, a little tart cherry juice might help some.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Riding and Sleep

For a minute there I thought I was going to open this thread to some pore sucker who sleep rides.

Back to the real topic. I can't sleep no matter what I've done in the day time. I'm 55 and it's been like that since I was about 50. No, I've never sought help I just deal with it.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-23-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ain't no way to live, believe me I know how it feels.

SHUTi | A proven online CBTi program for insomnia

Try it man. Maybe you have, but if not - it might surprise you.
    Things aren't back to "perfect" for me - I don't ever remember when they were, sleep wise, except maybe when I was a kid. But man, this program has helped me a lot, and I'll go back to review it if I need to.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdog View Post
    At 53 I am finding that getting a good night's sleep after rides -even non training rides. It's as if my body just stays wired all night making it tough to get quality zzz's.

Anyone else experience this?
    I have, but I have no solution. When I was really riding hard a few years back, I figured out it meant I was overdoing it.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I'm also having a difficult time sleeping and it happens all the time. My remedy here is to take a cool shower or bath. I find it helpful.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I am 53 and have had bouts of insomnia throughout my adult life. In the past I have tried over-the- counter sleep aids with some success. Around the same time I cut out caffeine almost entirely. This has seemed to help, although it makes for some slow mornings. I also use reading to help me fall asleep.
    But for whatever reason for the last 1-1.5 years I sleep better than I can ever remember. I still read almost every night, I don't workout or ride after 8pm and I still limit my caffeine. I also try to relax an hour or so before bed and limit watching TV.
    I wish I could pass on the secrete but I don't know what it is. But it's wonderful.
    I'm tired within, I'm luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind. RIP Brother

jalepenio jimenez
    This advice is free.
    I drink H2O all night. Don't want to get old person dry brain. Dry brain can keep you from sleeping soundly. Get up and pee three or four times a night, drink a half glass of water, hydrate the old brain, back to bed, and repeat every couple hours.
    When you get old person dry brain the old brain shrinks, and when you toss and turn trying to sleep, your old shrunk brain rolls around in there and makes it hard to get to sleep. So drink some water before bed and during the night, pee a bunch, and get yourself a good night's sleep.
    Hey it works for me.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    52 and never have problems sleeping. If anything, sometimes I sleep too much. That being said, I absolutely sleep the best on nights when I go out and have a couple beverages. When I'm in full blown healthy workout mode (which has been a while...back on the plan tomorrow), I'm up at 6:30'ish and in bed about 9 pm'ish. I may read about 30 minutes and then I'm OUT.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    52 and never have problems sleeping. If anything, sometimes I sleep too much. That being said, I absolutely sleep the best on nights when I go out and have a couple beverages. When I'm in full blown healthy workout mode (which has been a while...back on the plan tomorrow), I'm up at 6:30'ish and in bed about 9 pm'ish. I may read about 30 minutes and then I'm OUT.
    I find that drinking interferes with my sleep, even it's one cocktail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i'm a pro sleeper. anywhere anytime.

i sleep great after days that include some bike ride. i wake up early, so i am in REM sleep sometimes at 9:30pm. out.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

jalepenio jimenez
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I find that drinking interferes with my sleep, even it's one cocktail.
    Alcohol is the worst for dry brain - requires even more water to reverse the pickling process.
    White Clouds - Heart of Idaho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    i'm a pro sleeper. anywhere anytime.

i sleep great after days that include some bike ride. i wake up early, so i am in REM sleep sometimes at 9:30pm. out.
    Must be the 5010's we both ride
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm luck that I don't ever seem to have trouble falling asleep.

I'm unlucky in that I wake up at 5am everyday. Doesn't matter what time I went to bed the night before, vacation, weekends, etc. It's annoying.

I sometimes ride until 8pm, and then have a beer with the gang. Home in bed by 9:30. Usually fall right to sleep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Must be the 5010's we both ride
    hahah.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For the past few years, if I do a big effort, typically on a weekend morning ride, I come home, eat, shower, then get incredibly drowsy and take a 1-2 hr nap. But then again, I want to take a nap most afternoons at work, also (but don't). I exercise most days, but on my days off, I feel more out of sorts, and this can mean more trouble falling asleep at night. In general I have more of a tendency to just pass out exhausted at night than I did when younger. I used to want to stay up till dawn all the time, but not anymore. I'm 52.

High Desert MTBer
    61 years young here, I don't sleep anything like as long as I used to, but I do sleep well for approx 6 hours. I do sleep better after a ride, and living in AZ I almost always ride in the early am. I don't drink or smoke, I eat pretty healthy when I am home, I am in bed usually by 8.30 pm and up at my desk at 4 am most often, dealing with work stuff around the world. I get a lot done at those times! I travel around 15 weeks of the year all over the world, so jet lag screws me up when I do that. I find that more so as I get older, so have started on 10mg of Melatonin to try and mitigate. When I am traveling I often don't manage more than about 4 hours sleep a night, but that still works, as long as I can make up for it when I get home!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm not a natural good sleeper. I have great success with the following fall-asleep recipe:

no alcohol, read kindle book 30 mins on tablet (with twilight app on to remove blue light) until eyes get very heavy. Stick ear bud with very low volume stream of BBC world news with sleep timer set to turn it off in 20 mins.

Staying asleep > 6 hours? that is another kettle of fish. Things I have tried

melatonin, gaba, theanine, thc 5 mg, cbd oil.

Once, a month ago, I slept 8 hours after a dose of theanine and gaba - fantastic - haven't been able to replicate it. The other stuff: boh... sometimes seems to help a bit, sometimes not at all. Maybe a clear conscience would help - I wouldn't know. Chris.