Thread: Rider Down

Rider Down

Good buddy of mine from Iowa City just passed at age 71. Healthy to his last day (completed a century in September). Just goes to show, we're all on the clock. Maybe less time thinking about doing things and more time doing them is in order.

9 lives
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. Did he die while biking? or do you know the cause?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yep, now's the time for more doing and less thinking. Sorry for your loss...

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Good buddy of mine from Iowa City just passed at age 71. Healthy to his last day (completed a century in September). Just goes to show, we're all on the clock. Maybe less time thinking about doing things and more time doing them is in order.
    Sorry for your loss, Forster. That's awesome that he completed a century a couple of months ago.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Sorry for the loss of your friend. Did he die while biking? or do you know the cause?
    They didn't post a cause of death but it wasn't cycling or cancer. I haven't spoken about it with his wife and probably won't. I guess if I learn the cause I learn the cause. Either way I prefer to think about how he lived anyway.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the loss of your friend.

However I won't mind going that way - fit and active up to the last little bit. I don't want my last bit of 2 wheeling to be in a wheelchair...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

psycho cyclo addict
    Sorry for your loss.

Carpe diem.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that.

I signed up for a 100 miler MTB race next year. This is a first, and is a new goal of mine. I don't want to look back and only wished I had done it.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

I signed up for a 100 miler MTB race next year. This is a first, and is a new goal of mine. I don't want to look back and only wished I had done it.
    100 mile mtb race? Good for you!

I think I'm in really good shape, but just don't see a race that long in my future. I think I'd undergo something akin to spontaneous combustion during the race.

Good luck, I hope you achieve the goal.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post

I think I'm in really good shape, but just don't see a race that long in my future. I think I'd undergo something akin to spontaneous combustion during the race.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

No worries, talking about long rides and races are the best use of every thread, really. I did the 1/2 Gravel Worlds last year and wished I had the neck and shoulders to do the whole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Just goes to show, we're all on the clock. Maybe less time thinking about doing things and more time doing them is in order.
    Exactly!! I have a friend who just turned 50. Went in for what he thought was the flu and it turned out to be an ultra-rare heart cancer with a 97% fatality rate within a year.

"Get busy living or get busy dying" - Andy Dufresne, Shawshank Redemption
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post

Sorry for the hijack OP.

Yes, it's a first for me, but 'why not' is my current line of thinking. I have the fitness, but need to build the duration for that particular event.

It's a new challenge, and to bring it back on point, is something I would like to have attempted when the time comes where I can't do it or I'm dead.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Yes, it's a first for me, but 'why not' is my current line of thinking. I have the fitness, but need to build the duration for that particular event.

It's a new challenge, and to bring it back on point, is something I would like to have attempted when the time comes where I can't do it or I'm dead.
    I did Lumberjack this year with the same thought in mind. After a battle with Leukemia and a stem cell transplant i was given a 30% chance to be around in 5 years. I'm almost at 4. It was something I've always wanted to do and figured I better get it done if i'm going to. I plan on giving it a go again this year with more of a race pace in mind instead of just finishing. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck with your race and preparation, it will be a ton of fun!