Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Yep I think you'd be safe in Mancos like K2 said. We're 4 miles north of Cortez. Dolores is a very small town and the Mesas above it seem to get more snow than we do. The bike club down here grooms trails all winter up at Boggy Draw and they do a great job and the trails are great.
    We've been down here a little over 2 years from the Denver and love it down here.
    Thanks. We like the idea of have access to the mountains but at the same time being able to ride most of the year with a little driving. I actually know two people who retired to the Dolores area, but both ended up moving on, one to Arizona and the other to Florida. One wanted warmer winters and the other wanted better access to health care. We've been through there numerous times and have spent a couple weeks camping in total in the Telluride/Cortez/Durango triangle. We'll have to start keeping an eye on things down that way.

Honestly, Moab was perfect for us 20 years ago, but holy crap, it looks like they are intent on turning into another Vail. Here is an example that makes me laugh my ass off:

https://www.facebook.com/HoodooMoab/

Edward Abbey spins in his grave again. Every time I see that I think of this South Park riff. Coming soon, SoDoMo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXMWJyOdgw

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.1 View Post
    Yep I think you'd be safe in Mancos like K2 said. We're 4 miles north of Cortez. Dolores is a very small town and the Mesas above it seem to get more snow than we do. The bike club down here grooms trails all winter up at Boggy Draw and they do a great job and the trails are great.
    We've been down here a little over 2 years from the Denver and love it down here.
    There's another reason for living near Mancos...Absolute Bakery & Cafe!
    [B]4.5 XX1/XTR
    ASRc X0 (Retired)
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black
    (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c (retired)
    SB95a (retired)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Honestly, Moab was perfect for us 20 years ago, but holy crap, it looks like they are intent on turning into another Vail. Here is an example that makes me laugh my ass off:

https://www.facebook.com/HoodooMoab/

Edward Abbey spins in his grave again. Every time I see that I think of this South Park riff. Coming soon, SoDoMo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Man that's over the top. I hear you on Moab 20 years ago. I've been going out there every year since 1985 and wow has it changed. I thought about Fruita, but we wanted a little land so we started looking down here. We like going over to Cedar Mesa area in Utah and hiking the Indian Runis. Did a 4 day 3 night bikepacking trip in the area as well.
    In an 1-1.5 hour drive in Any direction you can have desert, mountains, mesas whatever you want.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Well yes there is that as well.

mtbr member
    I think retiring to one place is restrictive. I live on the Greatest Place on Earth (see thread) most of the time, but I'm spending this winter in Scottsdale, AZ. I hate the cold now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I think retiring to one place is restrictive. I live on the Greatest Place on Earth (see thread) most of the time, but I'm spending this winter in Scottsdale, AZ. I hate the cold now.

Yeah, ummm, no. I really can't see Boston as a place for a mountain biker to retire or quite honestly live.

What comes to mind is salsa and New York City.

I like to ride my bikes year round, not just on vacation

We're moving to Carson City

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Amen!
    Its the only thing that keeps my legs spinning on the road ride from Durango to Mancos.
    Getting home to Durango is the only thing keeping them spinning on the way back.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Moab jumped the shark quite a while ago for me. Great riding but I don't care for the town.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Moab jumped the shark quite a while ago for me. Great riding but I don't care for the town.
    Some people really enjoy the hussle and bussle,.Jeep Week is the big deal for many people. Then there are the folks that don't appreciate the crowds.

Moab is fine, it no more jumped the shark than did Sedona, just avoid the popular times and destinations, not unlike any other tourist destination.

I don't go into Moab proper except for supplues, I stay outside town, camp, ride, repeat.

mtbr member
    Moab can be a zoo, no doubt about it.
    But there is so much riding, at so many different levels of trail, that once you get onto a trail, the crowds disappear.
    I don't want to live there, but being 2.5 hours away is fantastic!
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Some people really enjoy the hussle and bussle,.Jeep Week is the big deal for many people. Then there are the folks that don't appreciate the crowds.

Moab is fine, it no more jumped the shark than did Sedona, just avoid the popular times and destinations, not unlike any other tourist destination.

I don't go into Moab proper except for supplues, I stay outside town, camp, ride, repeat.
    The point of this thread is where you would want to *retire*, also know as *living* there. Like, all of the time.

Trust me, other than the people making money on the Jeep Safari, the locals hate it. A lot of them simply leave for the week. It is truly a mess. The real problem is that Jeep Week is only one of many weeks now where the town is completely maxed out. Half-Marathon, Memorial Day, etc. Then you have the random weekends where there are multiple big events going, etc. Last year there was the Skinny Tire Festival, Outerbike, and an adventure race, all on the same weekend. Or was that the fall Outerbike, the Moab Century, and an Art Festival?

You get the idea.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I wouldn't want to live in Moab or Sedona, too touristic for me.

Let's build one more
    It seems like this thread has moved to a "where do you want to ride when you get old" topic. My wife and I have had this discussion many times latey and she brought up some good points like how far are we going to be from a hospital, doctors, CVS, friends the same age, etc.

Hopefully everyone will be able to ride in their later years but at some time the bike will stay in the garage more than the trails.

Places like Prescott works for us but there has been a slight change of plans called Grandchild Taking a break in the moving think and enjoying this little kid
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm an avid road and mountain biker and have lived in the San Miguel Basin west of Telluride for 37 years. This place is a cyclists dream come true. No traffic on the highways and totally engulfed in public lands not to mention Moab is 80 miles away, Telluride 55 miles and Fruita 110 miles. Check out westendtrails.org for a great resource on this region of Western Colorado.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by prkoski View Post
    I'm an avid road and mountain biker and have lived in the San Miguel Basin west of Telluride for 37 years. This place is a cyclists dream come true. No traffic on the highways and totally engulfed in public lands not to mention Moab is 80 miles away, Telluride 55 miles and Fruita 110 miles. Check out westendtrails.org for a great resource on this region of Western Colorado.
    Norwood or ???

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    It seems like this thread has moved to a "where do you want to ride when you get old" topic. My wife and I have had this discussion many times latey and she brought up some good points like how far are we going to be from a hospital, doctors, CVS, friends the same age, etc.

Hopefully everyone will be able to ride in their later years but at some time the bike will stay in the garage more than the trails.

Places like Prescott works for us but there has been a slight change of plans called Grandchild Taking a break in the moving think and enjoying this little kid
    Yeah, some folks are already retired, some are looking to retire, and some are just looking to move; I'm in the later group cuz I ain't got plans to retire, working is good for me

As a medical professional, currently working as a hospitalist, I know the value of good and prompt medical care. We will all need care at some point, it's best to plan for it and locate accordingly.

Most of the places mentioned have a decent hospital, Moab is not one of them, neither is Cortez or Telluride. It just depends on your baseline health, predisposition, age, and the level of risk you're willing to tolerate. Notvto be morbid, but thirty minutes can make the difference between returning home or going to a nursing home.

Training for the Darwin's
    It seems like this thread has moved to a "where do you want to ride when you get old" topic.
    On the down side of hills, every ride, no more climbing...Perfect.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I'm definitely of the "live in two places" mindset -- we're in Austin, TX, which has mild winters, an always amazing spring and every type of high quality medical care that you could imagine within about 15 minutes of our house, AND I want to live in Dolores, CO in the summers/fall.

Lots of inertia from DH, though, who doesn't mind sweating his way through a Texas summer and is still working half time, maybe for another 18 months.

Love Absolute Bakery and Cafe! A little Phil's World in the morning with a follow up @ Absolute. What could be better?

Edited to add a link to an article on the trail system just above Dolores, groomed in winter for fat bikes: Cycling Club holds snow-bike event
    Last edited by June Bug; 02-05-2017 at 07:40 AM.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    As a medical professional, currently working as a hospitalist, I know the value of good and prompt medical care. We will all need care at some point, it's best to plan for it and locate accordingly.

We hope to retire when I am 62 and my wife is 60. We plan to get in at least 15 years of real living before we have to stop riding and worry about how far we are from a hospital. Genetics are on our side - my father died at 92 and would lived longer if it wasn't for a bad head injury. He rode a bike until his early 80's. My mother lived to 88 despite smoking for 60 years, eating whatever she felt like, and never exercising a day in her life. My wife's parents are both still unbelievably active in their mid-80's. My mother in law lives alone, and plants, tends and harvests a 100x50 garden by herself, as well as taking care of her house, barn, and five acres. My wife's father remarried, he volunteers on an organic farm where he maintains tractors, irrigation, implements, etc. He engineers and welds up amazing stuff there, and in winter he builds awesome furniture.

Obviously stuff happens, but by the time I'm sick enough to care about living next to a regional hospital, I doubt I'll be riding anyway.

I've ridden RAGBRAI a few times, and there are literally hundreds of people in their 70's that do that ride. Some in their 80's, and then this guy: At 90, Cedar Rapids man ready to ride RAGBRAI | The Gazette

It says in that article that there were four people in their 90's that did the ride last year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We hope to retire when I am 62 and my wife is 60. We plan to get in at least 15 years of real living before we have to stop riding and worry about how far we are from a hospital. Genetics are on our side - my father died at 92 and would lived longer if it wasn't for a bad head injury. He rode a bike until his early 80's. My mother lived to 88 despite smoking for 60 years, eating whatever she felt like, and never exercising a day in her life. My wife's parents are both still unbelievably active in their mid-80's. My mother in law lives alone, and plants, tends and harvests a 100x50 garden by herself, as well as taking care of her house, barn, and five acres. My wife's father remarried, he volunteers on an organic farm where he maintains tractors, irrigation, implements, etc. He engineers and welds up amazing stuff there, and in winter he builds awesome furniture.

Obviously stuff happens, but by the time I'm sick enough to care about living next to a regional hospital, I doubt I'll be riding anyway.

I've ridden RAGBRAI a few times, and there are literally hundreds of people in their 70's that do that ride. Some in their 80's, and then this guy: At 90, Cedar Rapids man ready to ride RAGBRAI | The Gazette

It says in that article that there were four people in their 90's that did the ride last year.
    So funny, no need to tell us your gentic history or defend the vitality of old people, I was simply dropping a hint for folks who may not have good genes on their side.

You'd be amazed how many really sick people live in very remote places...it is literally the death of them

May you live healthy till you're too old to know better.

mtbr member
    You'd be amazed how many really sick people live in very remote places...it is literally the death of them
    I'm a young and healthy 60, so don't speak from personal experience, but I can certainly understand how some may prefer an alternative to surrendering what's left of their lives and assets to the medical/industrial complex.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prkoski View Post
    Very interesting. Although not much interested in Colorado this website and area look like they are worth looking into. And with the large expanse of national forest in the area it can allow me another one of my interests; camping with in a short ride of trails. Time to get out Google Maps.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

EMBA Member
    It seems like this thread has moved to a "where do you want to ride when you get old" topic......
    And I am OK with that; after all we are a mountain bike forum. I really like that I am getting to know a lot of places from a lot of people who have been there. My plan always has been to travel when I retire and I have gotten so many ideas, must ride spots, to add to my list from this thread. I Like It!!
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntmboy View Post
    I'm a young and healthy 60, so don't speak from personal experience, but I can certainly understand how some may prefer an alternative to surrendering what's left of their lives and assets to the medical/industrial complex.
    Now that is some funny shite. I hear that stuff all the time, a guy (usually) lying in bed says " I'm fine, I don't none of you medicine, I just need to go home".

and pray tell, why were they admitted....cuz they were too sick to get well without the medical industrial model.

There's a river in Egypt, you seem to know it

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Holy smokes, this thread turned into propagating the run away medical industry.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Now that is some funny shite. I hear that stuff all the time, a guy (usually) lying in bed says " I'm fine, I don't none of you medicine, I just need to go home".

and pray tell, why were they admitted....cuz they were too sick to get well without the medical industrial model.

There's a river in Egypt, you seem to know it
    Sorry to divert this great thread, and I certainly don't mean to dis a lot of very dedicated healthcare professionals. But the system is broke and it doesn't benefit anyone to pretend it isn't. Now let's get back to good places to live and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Health care is another thing that is likely to keep us in the Bay Area. My wife has asthma and the allergy clinic here has done a much better job of controlling it than any other doctors she has tried. We live in the Santa Cruz mountains where we get the air before it gets all polluted, nice riding, can still get to doctors or hospital in 20 minutes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

... and if we just ...

Into my first winter as a RETIREE! I'm going nuts here in Northern Ontario. Lots of buddies have gone the Fat tire route and enjoy it but it just isn't for me.

My wife isn't retiring for 5 years, so moving or wintering south is out. I've got to Florida (after Pisgah stop) twice this winter (October and February) but these barely scratch the itch. Actually I've 'put up' with winter for many years, snowshoeing and xc skiing but I'd rather be putting on sun block and riding dusty trails. So Florida isn't what I mean.

I THINK I'd like to try a month or so in the south west and fly my wife out for a holiday week or so. Southern UTAH sounds the best? I'm thinking Airbnb but I'm open to suggestions. She doesn't ride but will walk and easy hike.

We did a road trip a few years ago in the summer, (very early morning rides!) from Golden to Moab. I really like the desert riding. So for winter getaways it sounds like Sedona, maybe Phoenix. Need to get good riding and an airport to fly the hunny in and out of.

Suggestions?
    These retirement conundrums are perplexing!!

saddlemeat
    ^Maybe you just need a Sprinter van to road trip in the SW, the wife can fly back while you stay in the sun. The Sedona area is a great choice. SE Utah is fabulous, as is SW Colorado, NE Arizona, and NW New Mexico, where I am retired. Lots of variety. We feel lucky to xc ski for a month or two. A 2-3 hour drive gets you anything you want.
    I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Can2pir View Post
    Into my first winter as a RETIREE! I'm going nuts here in Northern Ontario. Lots of buddies have gone the Fat tire route and enjoy it but it just isn't for me.

My wife isn't retiring for 5 years, so moving or wintering south is out. I've got to Florida (after Pisgah stop) twice this winter (October and February) but these barely scratch the itch. Actually I've 'put up' with winter for many years, snowshoeing and xc skiing but I'd rather be putting on sun block and riding dusty trails. So Florida isn't what I mean.

I THINK I'd like to try a month or so in the south west and fly my wife out for a holiday week or so. Southern UTAH sounds the best? I'm thinking Airbnb but I'm open to suggestions. She doesn't ride but will walk and easy hike.

We did a road trip a few years ago in the summer, (very early morning rides!) from Golden to Moab. I really like the desert riding. So for winter getaways it sounds like Sedona, maybe Phoenix. Need to get good riding and an airport to fly the hunny in and out of.

Suggestions?
    These retirement conundrums are perplexing!!
    Snow biking is fun, but it's not the same ad mountain bik ing. I feel your pain, we haven't see dirt since mid November. We started thawing out last week; saw some grass even, but it's snowing again

We're moving from central Washington state to Nevada, gotta get closer to the sun belt.

Id say a couple weeks in southern Utah, March to April, lots of choices dependent on weather. You really can't beat the riding around St George/Hurricane/Cedar City.

Grand Junction and Mosb are also good, though more popular.

I'll second the van idea, I have a Promaster 118, platform bed, nothing fancy, works fine for dry camping, 26 mpg, front wheel drive, got in and out of Gooseberry no problems.

mtbr member
    St George definitely has some easy type hikes and the variety of riding is top notch. It definitely gets hot in the summer and if you ask me, it's biggest downfall is that while traffic isn't horrendous yet, there are too many people for it's current infrastructure. Your wife can fly out of Vegas about 2.5 hours away.

I don't have to tell you how hot PHX gets in the Summer and it would be a major downfall but those that live there seem to put up with it fine. What I couldn't deal with on a daily basis is the traffic. We go there each Spring and put up with it but it's ugly. There is a huge amount of areas to ride but once again, many of them are spread out all over the valley and it takes forever to get to a "local" area at times. While I think South Mountain has the best riding in PHX, I'd definitely prefer to live up north towards Scottsdale due to all the riding up that way.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    The van idea has always intrigued me. Currently I camp and car camp out of a Kia Sportage. I can just fit my toys and sleep inside on road trips. I tent camp for longer periods in one place. My wife won't. We did camp cabins through Colorado and Utah in the summer which was an excellent inexpensive but acceptable choice so the idea of a month or so camping with a week or so high browing it within four walls is a good idea. I guess I can scout the areas. I'm really excited about the St. George area. We in the north have fueled our riding addiction by reading and researching some great areas. I've been happy to check off a few but there are sooooooo many that are on the list!

Our summers bring excellent riding weather and my area is blessed with some excellent trails- some flow- some technical, through hardwood and pine forests. We're missing a lot of elevation. Pisgah comes to mind as similar trails but with the elevation.

Ever since the bug hit in the late 80's though the southwest desert riding has been a draw. Can't wait! Won't be until next winter though. East coast (Newfoundland, Maine, Vermont) is getting the travel $$$ this year.

EMBA Member
    Been to Tucson a few times for riding and love it there. Plus the people are great. It does seem a common complaint for AZ that the riding is all spread out.

It doesn't get too bad in the winter in SW Utah either. Not any worse then here in Seattle and definitely not as cold as Wenatchee in the winter. I have heard from AZ people that if you can live through your first summer you will be fine with the heat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

San Miguel Basin communities

Norwood or ???
    Our local trail group is known as the West End Trails Alliance or WETA. The area In Westen Colorado is huge from Norwood all the way to Gateway and south into the Paradox Valley and Slickrock. I live in Nucla and the riding opportunities couldn't be better. The local amenities however leave something to be desired. Just depends what you want in those "Golden Years". I'm 66 and my riding buddy from Gateway is 62 and we were out riding our MB this last weekend in February. Just doesn't get better for us old guys. Check out our new website: West End Trails Alliance. We'll be posting more of the great riding opportunities on this site plus there is a paper map coming out in March.

Happy Trails
    I've never ridden in Moab, but it's pretty cold there in the Winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I've never ridden in Moab, but it's pretty cold there in the Winter.

Clearly you are from the east coast and are just looking at temperatures. Moab is too cold to ride maybe 20 days out of the year, usually in stretches of 2-4 days at a time. Those days, you just go up to the La Sals and ski or snowshoe. It rarely snows in Moab itself. Moab sits in a valley with super low humidity, the altitude is 4000ft+, and the sun shines most days. You can ride in shorts when it is 40 degrees there. A sunny 55 degree day is the perfect riding day in Moab. There is usually a huge difference between the low and high temperatures, but it warms rapidy most mornings. If you look at the temps for the next five days, highs in upper 50's to mid 60s, lows in the lower to mid-30's, sunny, winds 5 MPH, it doesn't get any better than that.

In summer it can be brutally hot in the afternoon, but because Moab sits at the base of the high mountains, the hot air blows out overnight, and it is in the 50's most mornings in summer. If you get out and get your ride in before noon, you can ride right through July and August with no problem.

There are a lot of reasons not to retire in Moab at this point, but weather is the *best* reason to retire there. I lived on the west coast of Florida when I was younger, and I skipped more riding days there in winter because it was too cold than I would in Moab. I've ridden in Moab probably every calendar week of the year over the last 30 years, and the weather is fantastic. Give me a sunny 35 degree day in Moab over a cloudy 60 degree day in the east with 90% humidity, any time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ wut he said, tis the truth, hot and dry, you won't want for riding, summer is hot, hot, hot, need to ride early, late, or at night.

Having lived in East TN and central VA for twenty years, I too would take a 35f day in Moab over a 50f in the East. Dry cold is always better than wet cold.

I live in the Central Cascades of WA, today I rode snow, temps around 40f, 2500' elevatio, short sleeves, thin gloves, got kinda hot, coulda wore shorts.

Humidity sucks.

Happy Trails
    I live out here. We have a place near PHX at 2000 feet and a place in Prescott at 6000 feet. I've never ridden Moab, but I've ridden Sedona at 4000 feet for fifteen years so I feel like my statement "Moab is cold in the winter" is pretty legit. It's 66 degrees there today, right now.... but the forecast for Monday is 28 low 44 high. That's pretty cold in my book. YMMV. Go troll your momma.

mtbr member
    I live out here!

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I live out here!
    What a freakin' coincidence -- I live out here, too! Your momma need trollin'?
    =D
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I live out here. We have a place near PHX at 2000 feet and a place in Prescott at 6000 feet. I've never ridden Moab, but I've ridden Sedona at 4000 feet for fifteen years so I feel like my statement "Moab is cold in the winter" is pretty legit. It's 66 degrees there today, right now.... but the forecast for Monday is 28 low 44 high. That's pretty cold in my book. YMMV. Go troll your momma.

Moab is a whole 10 degrees colder than Sedona for all of three months out of the year, but during those months it only gets about a third of the moisture of Sedona. Moab is *much* drier than Sedona overall. It isn't all about temperature.

For Monday I see Sedona at 58 and 47, but wait, there is a chance of rain. Weather.com has Moab Monday at 49 and 28, and dry. Right now. Go look. The humidity over the next ten days is about 10% higher for Sedona then Moab. 49 and sunny in Moab? Paradise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    44 is cold? That's considered spring riding where I live, 28 at night is minimum needed to keep the snow/soil firm.

It was 40 in Wenatchee yesterday, I wore short sleeves and knickers while riding , got kinda sweaty too.

Heading out for a ride, up in the woods at elevation, so I'll wear pants, but light poly up top to keep from sweating.

mtbr member
    44 is cold? That's considered spring riding where I live, 28 at night is minimum needed to keep the snow/soil firm.

It was 40 in Wenatchee yesterday, I wore short sleeves and knickers while riding , got kinda sweaty too.

Heading out for a ride, up in the woods at elevation, so I'll wear pants, but light poly up top to keep from sweating.
    It's all relative to what you're accustomed to. For me, if it's not Between 60 and 90, I'm not riding.

Happy Trails
    Moab is a whole 10 degrees colder than Sedona for all of three months out of the year, but during those months it only gets about a third of the moisture of Sedona. Moab is *much* drier than Sedona overall. It isn't all about temperature.

For Monday I see Sedona at 58 and 47, but wait, there is a chance of rain. Weather.com has Moab Monday at 49 and 28, and dry. Right now. Go look. The humidity over the next ten days is about 10% higher for Sedona then Moab. 49 and sunny in Moab? Paradise.
    OK. I give. Moab is the best place to retire and ride. Especially in Winter. Happy trails.

EMBA Member

Got to agree here in Seattle at 44 it's pretty balmy. Usually have to take off a layer or two, specially if I wear my wind breaker. Get's above 75 and I am dying. I work swing so get to ride in the morning during the summer when it's much cooler. If I worked 1st I know I wouldn't be riding in the afternoons.

So yeah, it is what you are used to.

mtbr member
    Hmm, just had the "where are we retiring" conversation last night with the missus. Since we are north of the border we are looking at SW Alberta, just west of Pincher Creek. The wife is a hardcore fly fisher and I do biking it's a good compromise.

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    ...The wife is a hardcore fly fisher and I do biking it's a good compromise.
    If you're going to fly fish you better be a resident. Non Residents pay through the nose in most states down here.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    Hmm, just had the "where are we retiring" conversation last night with the missus. Since we are north of the border we are looking at SW Alberta, just west of Pincher Creek. The wife is a hardcore fly fisher and I do biking it's a good compromise.

We had considered SW Alberta but the wind put us off and we went to Vancouver Island. It is the best choice we ever made. Not sure what the fly fishing scene is like but my village has fly fishing shop and 2 bike shops.

noob bikepacker
    We are looking to retire to either Lake Placid NY or somewhere in the UP or upper part of The Mitten in Michigan.

We both want to be in a place where we are guaranteed winter. Frozen lakes to skate on, ( my fiance is a former professional figure skater and I am a "professional beer league" hockey player) lots of snow to ride and play in. Away from people. Beautiful "cool" weather and pine forests in the summer. Good places to ride all around. We want to wake up and smell the pine forest and see no people...or at least see only people we know.

We have scoped a couple of cabin communities in both places. Michigan might win out b/c it is closer to the realtives, but Lake Placid/ The Adiarondaks is also like heaven on Earth. I have always said I want to die in the snow, or on a frozen lake under the Northern Lights.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This post was a couple of years old, have you retired yet?

I'm 53, from So. Cal and have lived in Boise for about 15 years. Very low humidity here, as you know, and pretty high on the "comfort index' because of that. The air quality gets bad, and goes into yellow or red alerts, during winter inversions and summer forest fires. You'll find lots of like-minded in terms of mountain bikers and road cyclists. There are many clubs and people to ride with, and, depending on where you would live, access to trail riding and road riding is Very good. By "like minded" I assume you mean your recreational interests correct? I don't want to get political here.

Not sure what your financial situation or budget is, but I "think" the cost to buy a home in Boise is WAY cheaper than anywhere you would want to live in Bend, and may be similar to places in AZ. I'm not sure about St. George - it's grown so much down there over the years it may be pretty expensive now? I can't tell you about property taxes, etc in Boise, because I'm a renter, and at this rate with what I'm currently making, and things, I will never have a chance to buy in this lifetime -

I know someone I've ridden with in Orange County, who moved from there to Atlanta, he seems to like it a lot. I've read there's some really good riding north of Atlanta - and that might be a cool place to live that I assume has less traffic and may be less expensive and better trails up closer to TN and the Carolinas.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Who wulda thunk it?
    I've ridden that race course? Years ago, with friends from OC.
    What's that course called again? Great trail!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's not looking like I will be able to retire - in the best sense of the word - ahh well. But I don't want to write my future in a negative light. We'll see.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-11-2017 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Havent bit the bullet yet.Did spend a week in Boise.Was a great time.Rode mountainbike 3 times and road bike 3 times.Some of the locals showed me the ropes.Met a bunch of great guys and attended their year end party.Lactic Acid Cycling.Rode out to dam and all through town.Very bike friendly.Didnt have retirement 55+ community but still had a great vibe.Visited atlanta last month.Weather was pretty good.Visited about 4 communities north of atlanta but did not ride any.Did not see a single car with a bike rack on it.Sorta ruled out georgia.Maybe a hasty decesion but just didnt see the bike vibe.Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.I know its hot in the summer but but there is so much there.Plan is to stay at a robson property 3 nights and a trilogy for another 3.Trying to be methodical and patient.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    It's not looking like I will be able to retire - in the best sense of the word - where you have enough money and can make your days (and nights), ideal - and where you want to be, or a good compromise. I'll have to keep working as long as I can, I guess, and hope to keep doing the things I enjoy doing, as long as I can. I'm poor. Not massively, welfare, completely hand to mouth poor, but yeah, I'm poor and have a negative net worth at this point. I'll probably end up renting a room from someone with "kitchen privileges". That's my personal hell. Right now, I have a state job with benefits, my own studio apt. ketllebell workout programs, nice road and mtn bikes, able to ride, I read a lot, internet, insurance, my health, etc.. BUT, am low paid and, again, have a negative net worth, and am 53, so...

If I move somewhere expensive, like Orange County, I can work and rent a room, or have super respectful, kind roommates around my age - and like minded, is the only way THAT would work. Look at all the rich retirees going riding with their really nice carbon bikes on back of their BMW SUV's LOL. Back to have a Starbucks before going home to work on their yards and lawns behind their gated communities by the ocean.
    Dude...i hear ya. I am about 10 years past living in my van and on various peoples couches for a while...by choice in some ways... and plan to work until I physically can't. I have only recently been able to record a positive net worth. Granted, I live a minimalist lifestyle for the most part...I have a house, but no furniture beyond the bed, a kitchen table, and a couple of couches. Don't need a bunch of stuff I am not going to use.

I think I have always sot of planned on retiring into a minimalist/hermit-like existence because it is easier. I have been part of a retirement plan since I started working again, but that has only been for the past 10 years. I guess the only thing I am worried about is health care as I get older. I have always planned on retiring someplace that is NOT expensive to live, and would be happy in a small place space-wise. i would be happy with a place that I could ride, play my drums, and experience nature right outside my door.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I have always planned on retiring someplace that is NOT expensive to live, and would be happy in a small place space-wise. i would be happy with a place that I could ride, play my drums, and experience nature right outside my door.
    Where do you live now? If you don't need to be by the ocean - Boise ain't bad. Rentals aren't that expensive and you can be very close to trails out your door. I think a lot of places in AZ can be good and also the South.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 03-11-2017 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Havent bit the bullet yet.Did spend a week in Boise.Was a great time.Rode mountainbike 3 times and road bike 3 times.Some of the locals showed me the ropes.Met a bunch of great guys and attended their year end party.Lactic Acid Cycling.Rode out to dam and all through town.Very bike friendly.Didnt have retirement 55+ community but still had a great vibe.Visited atlanta last month.Weather was pretty good.Visited about 4 communities north of atlanta but did not ride any.Did not see a single car with a bike rack on it.Sorta ruled out georgia.Maybe a hasty decesion but just didnt see the bike vibe.Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.I know its hot in the summer but but there is so much there.Plan is to stay at a robson property 3 nights and a trilogy for another 3.Trying to be methodical and patient.
    Yeah, you missed a lot of riding in Georgia and to to the north, east, south, and west, that area has some of the finest mountain biking in the country, whoops!

For folks looking to live cheap and ride a lot, East Tennessee is hard to beat. Granted, the humidity and bugs are tough, but the cost of living is low and riding choices abound. Knoxville has become a real riding mecca, as has Chattanooga.

I left therr after twenty years, just couldn't take the rain and humidity, but for those on a budget, there are few places that check so many boxes.

100k will getcha a nice little house in Oak Ridge, just minutes from Haw Ridge riding, and only twenty minutes to Knoxvegas and the Dirty South.

mtbr member
    Georgia and TN may have plenty of great riding but when it gets hot down there, it gets stifling hot with that humidity. I could live there in the late Spring & Fall but that's it.

I could deal with the PHX heat more effectively but would be riding at 5 am to beat the worst of the Summer heat. That being said, the amount of riding options the rest of the year are pretty awesome and you're sure to have your share of 55+ communities all over the valley.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Who the hell would want to live in a 55+ gated community? There are no kids to throw rocks at there. Seriously if you are a cyclist you are in way better shape than anyone your age. These gated housing projects are full of old people that will just bring you down. Think of the talk of the day..."So who died last night?"
    I love my bike but I will need something else to keep me active, a nice shop maybe, or a part time job..."Welcome to Wal-Mart".
    I think we all want to travel and I have friends that are Condo owners and RV for months at a time. But I don't think I could downsize my home. And being trapped with my wife and dogs on a rainy day in a RV wouldn't be fun either.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Who the hell would want to live in a 55+ gated community? There are no kids to throw rocks at there. Seriously if you are a cyclist you are in way better shape than anyone your age. These gated housing projects are full of old people that will just bring you down. Think of the talk of the day..."So who died last night?"
    You are absolutely correct sir! We live in normal neighbourhood and I wouldn't want to give that up. Lots of little kids and other mountain bikers on my street, with amazing trails a 3 minute ride away.

mtbr member
    Not promoting 55+ gated communities, but you would be surprised at how active older folks are these days. My neighborhood, not gated or age restricted, is full of seniors and they are always out walking, biking, and heading to community pool or gym. Very little theft around here, too, since they are mostly retired and always around to keep an eye on things.
    The older I get the better I was...

Happy Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.
    Unless you catch it on a wrong week Phoenix area is really nice in May. Still cool in the morning and and easy 102F in the afternoon. Be sure to catch a night ride; perhaps the Tuesday Night Ride with McDowell Mountain Cycles bike shop in Fountain Hills. Night riding is a thing now, in Phoenix area. Great camaraderie. Good stuff.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    Where do you live now? If you don't need to be by the ocean - Boise ain't bad. Rentals aren't that expensive and you can be very close to trails out your door. I think a lot of places in AZ can be good and also the South.
    I live in Central Ohio. How are the winters in Boise? It is sort of far away, but I have been out to Glacier Natl and do like the terrain in the upper west.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Georgia and TN may have plenty of great riding but when it gets hot down there, it gets stifling hot with that humidity. I could live there in the late Spring & Fall but that's it.

I could deal with the PHX heat more effectively but would be riding at 5 am to beat the worst of the Summer heat. That being said, the amount of riding options the rest of the year are pretty awesome and you're sure to have your share of 55+ communities all over the valley.
    The point of my post was for folks looking "to live cheap and ride a lot".

Phoenix is not cheap.

Gotta agree on 55+ community stuff being boring , to live my golden years without families and children, that's more a nightmare than a dream. One of the things I look for in a community is diversity and youth. My riding partners are generally twenty to thirty years my juniors.

Nope. Not going to the old people's place any sooner than necessary.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Phoenix is not cheap.

Gotta agree on 55+ community stuff being boring , to live my golden years without families and children, that's more a nightmare than a dream. One of the things I look for in a community is diversity and youth. My riding partners are generally twenty to thirty years my juniors.

Tucson is a much better ticket than Phoenix. Up in the Oro Valley area specifically for mountain biking. Check out the Ram's Field Pass neighborhood. Hiking trails in Pusch Ridge Wilderness and Catalina State Park right out your door. 5 minutes on Oracle Rd gets you into Catalina State Park to head up the 50 Year trail. A nice 15 minute road ride warm-up gets you to the newer Honeybee Canyon trails starting in Catalina. The new Ridgeline Loop is outstanding. The Rancho Vistoso area would also put you right by these trails, and there's a Sun City portion if you want the older folks amenities, but there's plenty of family areas too. Great big bike lanes, and you can do road rides out towards Oracle and get in 30+miles with just one or two stoplights the entire way.

There's a myriad number of reasons to choose Tucson over Phoenix. Especially for retirement. The only way I would choose Phoenix over Tucson, is if I could only find a job in Phoenix. Tucson may look only 5 deg cooler during the day, but it cools off far faster at night, especially Oro Valley on the edge of the desert and backed up to Mt. Lemmon. It's typically 10deg cooler at night, and you can actually enjoy sitting on your back porch on a summer evening in Tucson, whereas in Phoenix it typically doesn't drop below 100 till after midnight during the summer. There's a big difference for the morning rides too. Phoenix is barely comfortable even for 5am rides, as it typically starts at 85 and rises rapidly as soon as the sun rises. Tucson mornings are typically 75, sometimes it even feels a bit brisk on a dry July morning. If you're looking to do a longer ride in Tucson during the summer, you also have Mt. Lemmon, you can start early and even at 11am it will still only be about 75 at the summit. Some fun downhills off Mt. Lemmon as well, like Bugs Springs, Milagrosa, etc.

Great combination of mountain and road riding in Tucson, and with far less traffic. I would never choose Phoenix over Tucson unless it was for a job, or you had other reasons like being near the grandkids. When I go up to Phoenix now in the summer it just feels so oppressive. Tucson is the place you want to be for year round riding in Arizona.
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

saddlemeat

Phoenix is not cheap.

I agree, hang with the youngsters if you want to stay young. They supply the energy, you wisely direct it. Win/win.

EMBA Member
    Ditto on Tucson. Can't add much to where the trails are but having ridden with the SDMB those guys are monsters. Riding up a hiking trail to a water bar and POP they are over it and moving on. Pardon me, but I have got to walk. But they had a sweep guy there so I was never alone. And they acted like they didn't mind waiting for this old slow guy every once in a while.

So yeah the riding is great but for me, it is the people of Tucson that make it so worth while. And don't forget the Good Egg for breakfast.

Can't wait to get back down there.

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    I retired in Farmville Va. More because there was a lack of singletrack. As a trailbuilder there was a need I could address. So I volunteered for the State Parks and started building Bike specific trails. Since my retirement I have put in 4 loops in 2 State Parks. Now I can go out my front door and ride either my back forty trails or jump on the High Bridge Trail Rails to Trails and do the SP loops.

More importantly there are a lot of riding options here. We have the High Bridge Trail, a dozen good Mt Bike trails within an hour and a half, from the Richmond area trails to Candler Mountain in Lynchburg and Walnut Creek towards Charlottesville. All of the Blue Ridge and 81 corridor destinations are easy day trips or good camping trips.

As I have aged and incurred infirmities I'm finding the Mt riding to a bit rough. So, I'm racking up alot of road miles. And this is a marvelous area for road riding. I can go out the door and ride loops from 10 to 80 miles on low traffic country roads with nice hard surfaces. And after 5 years I'm still finding beautiful country loops I've never been on. Jack and I did a 40 mile loop thru Powhatan and Cumberland Counties that we had never ridden just yesterday and have another one scheduled for today. Last week we did 2 loops in Appomattox County and the week before 2 in Buckingham County, all new to us.

So, for me this has been good. Country living, year round riding, University town, full amenities, interesting historic area and Big City activities a short drive into Richmond or Charlottesville.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofakinold View Post
    I retired in Farmville Va. More because there was a lack of singletrack. As a trailbuilder there was a need I could address. So I volunteered for the State Parks and started building Bike specific trails. Since my retirement I have put in 4 loops in 2 State Parks. Now I can go out my front door and ride either my back forty trails or jump on the High Bridge Trail Rails to Trails and do the SP loops.

More importantly there are a lot of riding options here. We have the High Bridge Trail, a dozen good Mt Bike trails within an hour and a half, from the Richmond area trails to Candler Mountain in Lynchburg and Walnut Creek towards Charlottesville. All of the Blue Ridge and 81 corridor destinations are easy day trips or good camping trips.

As I have aged and incurred infirmities I'm finding the Mt riding to a bit rough. So, I'm racking up alot of road miles. And this is a marvelous area for road riding. I can go out the door and ride loops from 10 to 80 miles on low traffic country roads with nice hard surfaces. And after 5 years I'm still finding beautiful country loops I've never been on. Jack and I did a 40 mile loop thru Powhatan and Cumberland Counties that we had never ridden just yesterday and have another one scheduled for today. Last week we did 2 loops in Appomattox County and the week before 2 in Buckingham County, all new to us.

So, for me this has been good. Country living, year round riding, University town, full amenities, interesting historic area and Big City activities a short drive into Richmond or Charlottesville.
    Nice, way to give back and make it better for others!

This ^ is where I'm headed, trail building where it's needed, ride till I can't, then let others enjoy the fruits of my labors.

We just found a house, adjacent to BLM, tons of trail opportunities, just need someone to start building.

My wife is getting a side by side for chasing me around the hills of Carson City. I want a mini excavator

Happy Trails

Retirement, Where when??

Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post

....There's a myriad number of reasons to choose Tucson over Phoenix. Especially for retirement. ...Great combination of mountain and road riding in Tucson, and with far less traffic. I would never choose Phoenix over Tucson unless it was for a job, or you had other reasons like being near the grandkids. When I go up to Phoenix now in the summer it just feels so oppressive. Tucson is the place you want to be for year round riding in Arizona.
    Long time PHX guy ..... agree with all of this about PHX vs Tucson; Tucson at 2000 ft elevation is definitely cooler than PHX at 1200 ft. Except I like the diversity; need the airport and job opportunity in PHX more. Also the closer access to Sedona and Prescott. There is just a lot more of everything in PHX. Traffic. Trails. Pros and cons. My compromise is being high up in the hills at 1800feet elevation NE of PHX in Fountain Hills.

But from Tucson you are also very close to the beautiful high desert and forest ravines around Sonoita, Patagonia and the Picketpost section of the 650mile AZ Trail. Mount Lemmon and the Catalina State Park are both awesome. Tucson has a lot going for it.

Also, just thinking out loud .....from Tucson is quick shot down to Nogales, Mexico. A great city on its way back from a difficult twenty years .... and where Viagra is four bucks a pop. Not that any of us need it.

Here's from last week's ride in Scottsdale (northeast PHX) Brown's Ranch

Last edited by Scott In MD; 03-31-2017 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Love Brown's Ranch! You can ride for an hour or all day from the trailhead without ever crossing the same trail more than once. And the facilities at the trailhead are top notch.

Happy Trails
    Long time PHX guy ..... agree with all of this about PHX vs Tucson; Tucson at 2000 ft elevation is definitely cooler than PHX at 1200 ft. Except I like the diversity; need the real airport and job opportunities (for now) in PHX. Also the closer access to Sedona and Prescott. There is just a lot more of everything in PHX. Traffic. Trails. Pros and cons. My compromise is being high up in the hills at 1800feet elevation NE of PHX in Fountain Hills.

But from Tucson you are also very close to the beautiful high desert and forest ravines around Sonoita, Patagonia and the Picketpost section of the 650mile AZ Trail. Mount Lemmon and the Catalina State Park are both awesome. Tucson has a lot going for it.

Also, just thinking out loud .....from Tucson is quick shot down to Nogales, Mexico. A great city on its way back from a difficult twenty years .... and where Viagra is four bucks a pop. Not that any of us need it.

EMBA Member
    I have heard great things about NE Phoenix. Lots and lots of riding up there.

mtbr member
    I have the best of both worlds. Cape Cod in the summer. And there's amazing MTBing there. Scottsdale for a few months in winter. I can't get enough Brown's Ranch n

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimL View Post
    Ditto on Tucson.

Can't wait to get back down there.
    We are just back from a week of camping in Oro Valley which is just north of Tucson. Having an Aunt who has lived in Tucson for 40 years (this year) and have been visiting since it was about 300,000 in the 80's I've seen it grow a lot. Tucson has changed a lot and we still love the area. The biggest shocker though is to see the growth of the Oro Valley area. You've got everything right there on the north side and really don't even need to venture into Tucson if you don't want, though the traffic was pretty bad on Oracle Rd. But Tucson Mtn Park, Sweetwater, the Catalina's are all super close. You could buy a house in Saddleback north of Oro Valley and ride across the street to the 50 Year Trail network.

Now I'm nowhere close to retirement but I can see myself owning a small house in the area to escape the Colorado winter (we live in Fort Collins). These pics were taken on 50 year trail and Romero Pools Trail in Catalina State Park. Summer would be tough for us full time, but from what I understand it is "more tolerable than Phoenix" according to many I talked with who chose Tucson over Phoenix to retire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retirement, Where when??-orovalley2.jpg  

Retirement, Where when??-orovalley1.jpg  

Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Summer would be tough for us full time, but from what I understand it is "more tolerable than Phoenix" according to many I talked with who chose Tucson over Phoenix to retire.
    Does that mean hot as Hell when Phoenix is considerably hotter than Hell?

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    Does that mean hot as Hell when Phoenix is considerably hotter than Hell?
    Nah, it means about 70-75 degs in the morning when you would start your rides. Just a little chilly till you get to the first hill. By the time you finish your ride it's about 90-95 deg, but with good planning, you're finishing on a downhill. It usually works out that way for most of the rides in Oro Valley, since you're starting in a valley.
    Wow, GJ, Fruita, and Moab trails are riding great. This is a killer spring for riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Nah, it means about 70-75 degs in the morning when you would start your rides. Just a little chilly till you get to the first hill. By the time you finish your ride it's about 90-95 deg, but with good planning, you're finishing on a downhill. It usually works out that way for most of the rides in Oro Valley, since you're starting in a valley.
    70-75 is a little chilly? Ha-ha...I *prefer* sunny in the high 50's myself. Anything over 80 and it's getting on the warm side for me.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Me - Traverse City Michigan in about 10 years. Would like to go somewhere warmer in the winter though.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Coming up on 4 years since I retired to Cumberland, BC, Vancouver Island (not to be confused with Vancouver), and we had one of the snowiest, wettest winters people remember. Still better than anywhere else in Canada.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Vancouver Island is awesome, still too dark, cold, and wet for year round living, but just about the best place to live if your Canadian.

We're leaving Wenatchee Washington on three weeks, moving to Carson City Nevada for more winter/summer light balance, cooler summers, warmer winters, more year round riding.

Not sure it's our final place, but I'm looking forward to more light and warmth next winter. As much as I love the PNW, the winters are tough unless you can snowbird.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hayward Wisconsin. Quiet sports retirement area. 100's miles of single track, best road riding this side of Europe, groomed fat bike trails in the winter and low cost of living. Kayaking/Sailing in Lake Superior.

mtbr member
    Vancouver Island is awesome, still too dark, cold, and wet for year round living, but just about the best place to live if your Canadian.

We're leaving Wenatchee Washington on three weeks, moving to Carson City Nevada for more winter/summer light balance, cooler summers, warmer winters, more year round riding.

Not sure it's our final place, but I'm looking forward to more light and warmth next winter. As much as I love the PNW, the winters are tough unless you can snowbird.
    I wouldn't have guessed Carson City would be warmer than Wenatchee in the winter. More daylight and dryer is nice either way.

We're really enjoying our "retirement home" in Hurricane. It may be 5-10 years before we can actually retire there but we go as often as we can from Sept to May.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I wouldn't have guessed Carson City would be warmer than Wenatchee in the winter. More daylight and dryer is nice either way.

We're really enjoying our "retirement home" in Hurricane. It may be 5-10 years before we can actually retire there but we go as often as we can from Sept to May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Very nice KRob...what part of Hurricane did you buy a place in? I tried to get my wife to buy a place there in 2011 after my 1st trip to the area. Could have bought 3BR/2BA places for $130K back then. As usual, she didn't listen. She doesn't ride though so she can't appreciate it.

We're now 3 years out from building on our lot in Prescott. Moving there full time in 6 but I'll stick get to Hurricane 2-3 times a year.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
    Hayward Wisconsin. Quiet sports retirement area. 100's miles of single track, best road riding this side of Europe, groomed fat bike trails in the winter and low cost of living. Kayaking/Sailing in Lake Superior.
    You can't fool me, I grew up in the upper midwest.

Brrrrr......

Honestly, once you have experienced 10% humidity on a sunny 40 degree day in January, you realize that you don't have to live in an icebox.

Better fishing up there, I'll give it that. That includes ice fishing, of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I like Hurricane for access, but the town and community are practically nonexistent and quickly being eaten up by St George overflow.

I prefer Cedar City, it's still very much LDS centered, but the university growth and growth from people looking for retirement that's not in St George will help Cedar City grow a little more diverse.

Three weeks from today we drive south. I'm just happy that I won't have to bear any more of these PNW winters!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good luck in Carson city Ben. I haven't done any riding there but I have enjoyed the Tahoe area. I hope it is everything you want .
    I like Hurricane for access, but the town and community are practically nonexistent and quickly being eaten up by St George overflow.

I prefer Cedar City, it's still very much LDS centered, but the university growth and growth from people looking for retirement that's not in St George will help Cedar City grow a little more diverse.

Three weeks from today we drive south. I'm just happy that I won't have to bear any more of these PNW winters!

mtbr member
    Very nice KRob...what part of Hurricane did you buy a place in? I tried to get my wife to buy a place there in 2011 after my 1st trip to the area. Could have bought 3BR/2BA places for $130K back then.
    Far north. Right up against the Virgin River gorge. That's La Verkin and Hurricane Mesa you can see in the back ground. Terrific views (for now). We'll see what the people next door build. They've cleared the land and are ready to start building. Hope it's not a three-story monstrosity.

Yeah, even two years ago we would've spent quite a bit less for our 3 bdr 2 bath 1500 sq ft 2014 home, but we got a good price and a really low interest rate and like nurse ben said, it's only going to keep growing with housing prices going up. We still feel like we got in somewhat ahead of the boom. We love it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    This June I will have lived in the Phoenix area for 50 years. Moved there in '67 when I was 7. Recently moved to Kingman to care for my parents.
    Phoenix is way way WAY too big for me now, but with few exceptions Kingman is a freak show of people who seemed to have moved here to die and have given up on life a LONG time ago.
    Just got back from St George and fell in love with it from the minute I hit the town limits.
    I loved it far more than the N Scottsdale area.
    (Sorry to the St George people. I hope your town doesn't get ruined like so many other beautiful places.)

EMBA Member

It was a wet snowy one this year that is for sure and for certain.

I hear that Carson City has a rapidly growing Singletrack mentality. It will be interesting to see what happens there.

Looking forward to really exploring that SW Utah area-all the way from St George up to Cedar City, Brian Head, Hurricane, Virgin, etc, etc, et al.

OTE in Hurricane sure comes across cool on the net. Are they really that way in real life??

I am looking forward

mtbr member
    OTE in Hurricane sure comes across cool on the net. Are they really that way in real life??
    I think so. I've been there a few times when visiting the area, and they have always been knowledgeable and helpful. They have group rides out of the shop and were very inviting to the Mrs. and I, though we did not take them up on it.
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I think so. I've been there a few times when visiting the area, and they have always been knowledgeable and helpful. They have group rides out of the shop and were very inviting to the Mrs. and I, though we did not take them up on it.
    They are all very cool guys that work there. Always willing to chat, pass out trail advice or even ride with you. We always stop in to check out what's new and usually go out on the free, guided shop ride they do on Saturdays.

EMBA Member
    They are all very cool guys that work there. Always willing to chat, pass out trail advice or even ride with you. We always stop in to check out what's new and usually go out on the free, guided shop ride they do on Saturdays.
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That whole area around Virgin-Hurricane-St George-Cedar City looks so interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [QUOTE=SlimL;13166054]That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That whole area around Virgin

I wouldn't put St George in the same cultural/social bucket as Hurricane or Cedar City. Granted Hurricane is a satelite burb to St George, but Cedar City is a completely seperate town and geographic area.

St George is straight up american suburbia, I call it Las Vegas light without the gambling, not my cup of tea, it lacks that central place and hominess that I enjoy. There's some good riding in town, and housing in the surrounding communities, esp to the northwest are nice, but it's pretty fugly as an urban place.

I met a couple in Wenatchee who were born and raised in Cedar City, they spoke lovingly about it, but they are Mormon so it's probably a little easier for them to fit in.

I'm betting that Cedar City is gonna be a cool little town in twenty years, they just need a little more college growth, some new housing starts, and they need to redesign their downtown so the highway necks down to two or even one lane so they can make it more pedestrial freindly and encourage people to stop and get out of their cars.

It's the urban planner in me coming out, but when I visit places I immmediately look at the lay out and start making plans

One week count down, going on my final rides in between packing, heading to glacier View with my wife this afternoon, might get one more ride up twin peaks or maybe a ride on Freund, then it's Carson CIty of bust!

Carson City is worth watching, all four seasons, no extremes, great soils, single track building is coming along, tons of access thanks to Nevada's immense public lands and history of open ORV use. The proximity to Tahoe, Reno, and at he same time a quaint town without the big city city hussle and bussle.

Big race coming up in June: https://epicrides.com/events/carson-...d/event-guide/

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm no where near retirement but I live in the same area as Travis and its awesome for outdoor activities. Cumberland is a great little community for trails, food and beer. Half an hour north is a ski park and summer bike park. Also home to some of the best backpacking trails (beautiful mountains here). Another half hour north and your in the Snowden demo forest with tons of xc single track. Surrounded by mountains and ocean. The downside is the winters are dark and rainy, not very cold though. BC ferries are expensive!

Always Learning
    Taxes are a huge consideration for us.

The following are from the 10 worst states to retire in as the taxes will eat deeper into your retirement nest egg than all the others...

Utah - out because the taxes suck.
    California - out because the taxes suck.
    Montana - out because the taxes suck.
    Oregon - out because the taxes suck.
    Minnesota - out because the taxes suck.

On the other hand, the following are from the 10 most tax friendly states for retirement, and remain under consideration...

Tennessee
    South Dakota
    Nevada
    Wyoming
    Alaska
    Florida

saddlemeat
    ^In Florida the property taxes are high (and unpredictable) because they have no income tax. Not sure about those other states but the complete tax picture is important to know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    [QUOTE=Nurse Ben;13174945]
    That is exactly what I wanted to hear. That whole area around Virgin

I wouldn't put St George in the same cultural/social bucket as Hurricane or Cedar City. Granted Hurricane is a satelite burb to St George, but Cedar City is a completely seperate town and geographic area.

St George is straight up american suburbia, I call it Las Vegas light without the gambling, not my cup of tea, it lacks that central place and hominess that I enjoy. There's some good riding in town, and housing in the surrounding communities, esp to the northwest are nice, but it's pretty fugly as an urban place.

I met a couple in Wenatchee who were born and raised in Cedar City, they spoke lovingly about it, but they are Mormon so it's probably a little easier for them to fit in.

I'm betting that Cedar City is gonna be a cool little town in twenty years, they just need a little more college growth, some new housing starts, and they need to redesign their downtown so the highway necks down to two or even one lane so they can make it more pedestrial freindly and encourage people to stop and get out of their cars.

It's the urban planner in me coming out, but when I visit places I immmediately look at the lay out and start making plans

One week count down, going on my final rides in between packing, heading to glacier View with my wife this afternoon, might get one more ride up twin peaks or maybe a ride on Freund, then it's Carson CIty of bust!

Carson City is worth watching, all four seasons, no extremes, great soils, single track building is coming along, tons of access thanks to Nevada's immense public lands and history of open ORV use. The proximity to Tahoe, Reno, and at he same time a quaint town without the big city city hussle and bussle.

Big race coming up in June: https://epicrides.com/events/carson-...d/event-guide/
    You ever check out Santa Clara, which is just west of St. George? Nice looking little town, with a good MTB network right on the edge of town. A little further to Gooseberry etc.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^In Florida the property taxes are high (and unpredictable) because they have no income tax. Not sure about those other states but the complete tax picture is important to know.
    Yup. Kiplinger looks at the whole ball of wax for their 10 best, 10 worst list.

Retirees have special concerns when evaluating state tax policies. For instance, the mortgage might be paid off, but how bad are the property taxes – and how generous are the property tax breaks for seniors? Are Social Security benefits taxed? What about your other forms of retirement income, including IRAs and pensions? Does the state impose its own estate tax, which might subtract from your legacy? The answers could determine which side of the state border you’ll settle on in retirement.

Nice map and tool that allows you to compare 5 states at a time to get a full comparison:

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

It will absolutely guide our retirement state choice when the time comes. Currently, we live in a state labeled as "mixed". However, there are states that don't have any tax on SS, no state income tax, low sales tax, property tax breaks for seniors, no tax on inheritance and estates, etc...which are all nice gems to have that are available if you choose wisely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Taxes are a huge consideration for us.

The following are from the 10 worst states to retire in as the taxes will eat deeper into your retirement nest egg than all the others...

Utah - out because the taxes suck.
    California - out because the taxes suck.
    Montana - out because the taxes suck.
    Oregon - out because the taxes suck.
    Minnesota - out because the taxes suck.

On the other hand, the following are from the 10 most tax friendly states for retirement, and remain under consideration...

Tennessee
    South Dakota
    Nevada
    Wyoming
    Alaska
    Florida
    Tennessee: Potential but humidity is ugly and it's definitely getting more crowded. I have numerous co-workers that have moved there and complain about the heat and traffic
    South Dakota: Out because it's South Dakota
    Nevada: Definite options but the nicest places are pricey & snowy 5 months out of the year
    Wyoming: If you got Jackson Hole money and are OK with snow and COLD 5 months out of the year, it's an awesome place
    Alaska: More cold, more snow
    Florida: Worst state I've ever been in, ugly humidity, most people on MTBR actually want to mountain bike and Florida is no MTB mecca
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast