Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Who wulda thunk it?
    I've ridden that race course? Years ago, with friends from OC.
    What's that course called again? Great trail!
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's not looking like I will be able to retire - in the best sense of the word - ahh well. But I don't want to write my future in a negative light. We'll see.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 1 Week Ago at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Havent bit the bullet yet.Did spend a week in Boise.Was a great time.Rode mountainbike 3 times and road bike 3 times.Some of the locals showed me the ropes.Met a bunch of great guys and attended their year end party.Lactic Acid Cycling.Rode out to dam and all through town.Very bike friendly.Didnt have retirement 55+ community but still had a great vibe.Visited atlanta last month.Weather was pretty good.Visited about 4 communities north of atlanta but did not ride any.Did not see a single car with a bike rack on it.Sorta ruled out georgia.Maybe a hasty decesion but just didnt see the bike vibe.Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.I know its hot in the summer but but there is so much there.Plan is to stay at a robson property 3 nights and a trilogy for another 3.Trying to be methodical and patient.

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    It's not looking like I will be able to retire - in the best sense of the word - where you have enough money and can make your days (and nights), ideal - and where you want to be, or a good compromise. I'll have to keep working as long as I can, I guess, and hope to keep doing the things I enjoy doing, as long as I can. I'm poor. Not massively, welfare, completely hand to mouth poor, but yeah, I'm poor and have a negative net worth at this point. I'll probably end up renting a room from someone with "kitchen privileges". That's my personal hell. Right now, I have a state job with benefits, my own studio apt. ketllebell workout programs, nice road and mtn bikes, able to ride, I read a lot, internet, insurance, my health, etc.. BUT, am low paid and, again, have a negative net worth, and am 53, so...

If I move somewhere expensive, like Orange County, I can work and rent a room, or have super respectful, kind roommates around my age - and like minded, is the only way THAT would work. Look at all the rich retirees going riding with their really nice carbon bikes on back of their BMW SUV's LOL. Back to have a Starbucks before going home to work on their yards and lawns behind their gated communities by the ocean.
    Dude...i hear ya. I am about 10 years past living in my van and on various peoples couches for a while...by choice in some ways... and plan to work until I physically can't. I have only recently been able to record a positive net worth. Granted, I live a minimalist lifestyle for the most part...I have a house, but no furniture beyond the bed, a kitchen table, and a couple of couches. Don't need a bunch of stuff I am not going to use.

I think I have always sot of planned on retiring into a minimalist/hermit-like existence because it is easier. I have been part of a retirement plan since I started working again, but that has only been for the past 10 years. I guess the only thing I am worried about is health care as I get older. I have always planned on retiring someplace that is NOT expensive to live, and would be happy in a small place space-wise. i would be happy with a place that I could ride, play my drums, and experience nature right outside my door.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I have always planned on retiring someplace that is NOT expensive to live, and would be happy in a small place space-wise. i would be happy with a place that I could ride, play my drums, and experience nature right outside my door.
    Where do you live now? If you don't need to be by the ocean - Boise ain't bad. Rentals aren't that expensive and you can be very close to trails out your door. I think a lot of places in AZ can be good and also the South.
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Havent bit the bullet yet.Did spend a week in Boise.Was a great time.Rode mountainbike 3 times and road bike 3 times.Some of the locals showed me the ropes.Met a bunch of great guys and attended their year end party.Lactic Acid Cycling.Rode out to dam and all through town.Very bike friendly.Didnt have retirement 55+ community but still had a great vibe.Visited atlanta last month.Weather was pretty good.Visited about 4 communities north of atlanta but did not ride any.Did not see a single car with a bike rack on it.Sorta ruled out georgia.Maybe a hasty decesion but just didnt see the bike vibe.Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.I know its hot in the summer but but there is so much there.Plan is to stay at a robson property 3 nights and a trilogy for another 3.Trying to be methodical and patient.
    Yeah, you missed a lot of riding in Georgia and to to the north, east, south, and west, that area has some of the finest mountain biking in the country, whoops!

For folks looking to live cheap and ride a lot, East Tennessee is hard to beat. Granted, the humidity and bugs are tough, but the cost of living is low and riding choices abound. Knoxville has become a real riding mecca, as has Chattanooga.

I left therr after twenty years, just couldn't take the rain and humidity, but for those on a budget, there are few places that check so many boxes.

100k will getcha a nice little house in Oak Ridge, just minutes from Haw Ridge riding, and only twenty minutes to Knoxvegas and the Dirty South.

mtbr member
    Georgia and TN may have plenty of great riding but when it gets hot down there, it gets stifling hot with that humidity. I could live there in the late Spring & Fall but that's it.

I could deal with the PHX heat more effectively but would be riding at 5 am to beat the worst of the Summer heat. That being said, the amount of riding options the rest of the year are pretty awesome and you're sure to have your share of 55+ communities all over the valley.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2014 Pivot Mach 6
    2011 Niner Air 9 (de facto road bike)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Who the hell would want to live in a 55+ gated community? There are no kids to throw rocks at there. Seriously if you are a cyclist you are in way better shape than anyone your age. These gated housing projects are full of old people that will just bring you down. Think of the talk of the day..."So who died last night?"
    I love my bike but I will need something else to keep me active, a nice shop maybe, or a part time job..."Welcome to Wal-Mart".
    I think we all want to travel and I have friends that are Condo owners and RV for months at a time. But I don't think I could downsize my home. And being trapped with my wife and dogs on a rainy day in a RV wouldn't be fun either.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Who the hell would want to live in a 55+ gated community? There are no kids to throw rocks at there. Seriously if you are a cyclist you are in way better shape than anyone your age. These gated housing projects are full of old people that will just bring you down. Think of the talk of the day..."So who died last night?"
    You are absolutely correct sir! We live in normal neighbourhood and I wouldn't want to give that up. Lots of little kids and other mountain bikers on my street, with amazing trails a 3 minute ride away.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Not promoting 55+ gated communities, but you would be surprised at how active older folks are these days. My neighborhood, not gated or age restricted, is full of seniors and they are always out walking, biking, and heading to community pool or gym. Very little theft around here, too, since they are mostly retired and always around to keep an eye on things.
    The older I get the better I was...

Happy Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyd View Post
    Next stop is Phoenix in May for a week.
    Unless you catch it on a wrong week Phoenix area is really nice in May. Still cool in the morning and and easy 102F in the afternoon. Be sure to catch a night ride; perhaps the Tuesday Night Ride with McDowell Mountain Cycles bike shop in Fountain Hills. Night riding is a thing now, in Phoenix area. Great camaraderie. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98 View Post
    Where do you live now? If you don't need to be by the ocean - Boise ain't bad. Rentals aren't that expensive and you can be very close to trails out your door. I think a lot of places in AZ can be good and also the South.
    I live in Central Ohio. How are the winters in Boise? It is sort of far away, but I have been out to Glacier Natl and do like the terrain in the upper west.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Georgia and TN may have plenty of great riding but when it gets hot down there, it gets stifling hot with that humidity. I could live there in the late Spring & Fall but that's it.

I could deal with the PHX heat more effectively but would be riding at 5 am to beat the worst of the Summer heat. That being said, the amount of riding options the rest of the year are pretty awesome and you're sure to have your share of 55+ communities all over the valley.
    The point of my post was for folks looking "to live cheap and ride a lot".

Phoenix is not cheap.

Gotta agree on 55+ community stuff being boring , to live my golden years without families and children, that's more a nightmare than a dream. One of the things I look for in a community is diversity and youth. My riding partners are generally twenty to thirty years my juniors.

Nope. Not going to the old people's place any sooner than necessary.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Phoenix is not cheap.

Gotta agree on 55+ community stuff being boring , to live my golden years without families and children, that's more a nightmare than a dream. One of the things I look for in a community is diversity and youth. My riding partners are generally twenty to thirty years my juniors.

Tucson is a much better ticket than Phoenix. Up in the Oro Valley area specifically for mountain biking. Check out the Ram's Field Pass neighborhood. Hiking trails in Pusch Ridge Wilderness and Catalina State Park right out your door. 5 minutes on Oracle Rd gets you into Catalina State Park to head up the 50 Year trail. A nice 15 minute road ride warm-up gets you to the newer Honeybee Canyon trails starting in Catalina. The new Ridgeline Loop is outstanding. The Rancho Vistoso area would also put you right by these trails, and there's a Sun City portion if you want the older folks amenities, but there's plenty of family areas too. Great big bike lanes, and you can do road rides out towards Oracle and get in 30+miles with just one or two stoplights the entire way.

There's a myriad number of reasons to choose Tucson over Phoenix. Especially for retirement. The only way I would choose Phoenix over Tucson, is if I could only find a job in Phoenix. Tucson may look only 5 deg cooler during the day, but it cools off far faster at night, especially Oro Valley on the edge of the desert and backed up to Mt. Lemmon. It's typically 10deg cooler at night, and you can actually enjoy sitting on your back porch on a summer evening in Tucson, whereas in Phoenix it typically doesn't drop below 100 till after midnight during the summer. There's a big difference for the morning rides too. Phoenix is barely comfortable even for 5am rides, as it typically starts at 85 and rises rapidly as soon as the sun rises. Tucson mornings are typically 75, sometimes it even feels a bit brisk on a dry July morning. If you're looking to do a longer ride in Tucson during the summer, you also have Mt. Lemmon, you can start early and even at 11am it will still only be about 75 at the summit. Some fun downhills off Mt. Lemmon as well, like Bugs Springs, Milagrosa, etc.

Great combination of mountain and road riding in Tucson, and with far less traffic. I would never choose Phoenix over Tucson unless it was for a job, or you had other reasons like being near the grandkids. When I go up to Phoenix now in the summer it just feels so oppressive. Tucson is the place you want to be for year round riding in Arizona.
    Enjoying the powder and looking forward to spring!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Phoenix is not cheap.

I agree, hang with the youngsters if you want to stay young. They supply the energy, you wisely direct it. Win/win.
    I ride with the best people.

EMBA Member
    Ditto on Tucson. Can't add much to where the trails are but having ridden with the SDMB those guys are monsters. Riding up a hiking trail to a water bar and POP they are over it and moving on. Pardon me, but I have got to walk. But they had a sweep guy there so I was never alone. And they acted like they didn't mind waiting for this old slow guy every once in a while.

So yeah the riding is great but for me, it is the people of Tucson that make it so worth while. And don't forget the Good Egg for breakfast.

Can't wait to get back down there.
    "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race" H.G. Wells

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112