mtbr member

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers

An RV friend and I have recently been enjoying the luxury of camping near somebody else who rides a mountain bike. So we have been wondering if there was a way of doing this more often, with new biking acquaintances.

The demographics of retirees and RVers is against us! But perhaps a venue like this would help. We are not beginners, nor are we extreme athletes.

We are in Del Norte, CO right now, and soon headed to Pagosa, Durango, Phil's World, Dolores, and then over to Fruita/Moab. Obviously we will drop some altitude a little with each move. By mid-winter, we will be in AZ.

We aren't interested in what kind of rig you have. Just as long as you can camp a few miles away. We disperse camp, ourselves.

Or if you know of some other venue for bumping into long term travelers who mountain bike, let's hear your ideas.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-010.jpg
    Last edited by kaBLOOnie; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hey, I am that RV friend! And how fortunate it was to have crossed paths with you this summer, kaBLOOnie! I think it's pretty special to have the opportunity to share some good rides and good times with a fellow biker and traveler. Having been all over the country the last couple of years, 'living the dream' (and loving it), I've learned that it's one thing to get in on an occasional group ride or make a new friend at a trailhead and share a single ride (it's definitely cool), but it's a whole 'nother level of fun to migrate and wander from one biking area to the next with some other folks for a change. Kinda tribal in a way I guess.

So I'd encourage anyone who thinks this is an interesting idea, to drop a comment here. Some of my best and most memorable times in this life have been on a bike ride with friends, both old and new! It would be awesome to have You come join us and create some 'Best Times' together!

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    post over on rv.net/forums and rvforums.net.

I think you will be surprised. Not all of us are decrepit old geezers that can barely climb out of our RVs.
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    Dave54, I went to several RV forums, and failed to find anything like "RVs and Outdoor Recreation", with a thread about mountain bikes. Maybe I need to just keep looking harder.

So far I have looked at rv.net, IRV2, and escapees.

saddlemeat
    Check this out if you are in the vicinity of the 4 Corners, 3rd weekend in October... great time to ride in the Zuni Mts.

Annual Party - Gallup Trails

Zuni Mountains 100 - New Mexico Endurance Series

Single Speed New Mexico- 1st annual!

Lots of great folks, be great to meet some more!
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    They have a marvelous trail system at McGaffey. It may be overlooked by some people.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Look on Facebook or the Class B forums.... Gobs of active #vanlifers who bike, kayak etc......

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thank you so much formica! Will do. I've met some folks on my Instagram too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That looks like a great time to be had there in the Zuni Mts. bsieb! Definitely gotta check that area out sometime

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Attend mountain bike festivals, arrive early, stay late, you'll meet plenty of like minded folks.

We're a long way from retiring, but it'd be fun to meet folks who are parked near good riding, just need a way to find you

mtbr member
    Nurse Ben, I wasn't aware of "mountain bike festivals" other than races. There are such things?

But I have volunteered at races and experienced a little bit of getting-to-know people. But the volunteers are locals, and the racers are young people who need to take down camp immediately after the race, and rush back to their job in the Metropolis.

I was hoping to bump into long term travelers who mountain bike, so we can contribute to each other's lifestyle over the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah kaBLOOnie, I think Nurse Ben is referring to events like "Dirt Fest" held at the Allegrippis Trails in PA each year. It's not a race, more just a get together to support the trails, try out new bikes, and hangout with old friends and make new ones. I've volunteered there because that's been my homebase for many years.

I never met any "full-time nomadic bikers" like us there, though. Not saying we couldn't, but the closest I came were the guys driving the vans and working for Salsa, Pivot, etc. I remember kidding with my friend Sam, who was doing that for Rocky Mountain Bikes, which of us had it better. Him because he got payed to travel to all the good areas and bike, or me cause I had the freedom to choose when, where and how long I did it. Pretty good gig for a young guy like Sam, but I'm glad to be able to afford the freedom.

What we're talking about here is definitely a niche of a niche of a niche. Of course there are "digital nomads", people who work remotely and are long term travelers, who may have figured out that biking is a great addition to that lifestyle. They might be down for a chance to travel "loosely" together and reap the benefits of being associated with some experienced, capable friends. And have the opportunity to share their unique talents and gifts.

mtbr member
    Yes, Jack Pine, we are hindered by being a "niche of a niche of a niche". That's why my original post said that we shouldn't care what kind of rig a fellow traveler/mountain biker has. Let them worry about their box-on-wheels, as well as what kind of camping they will do.

As long as they are camped close enough to ride together, what else matters?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    kaBLOOnie, exactly. And why I was expanding it to younger people who are working remotely or seasonally and have the freedom of movement and location.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Three MTB fests come to mind.

Kettle Crest Fest - 1 day trail work, 3 days of rides with a campout (NE Washington)
    Lost Trail Bike Fest 2 days of shuttled backcountry rides with a dinner; fundraiser for Search and Rescue (Montana)
    Purcell MTB Fest - new this year, campout and two days of shuttle backcoutnry rides with dinners and breakfasts. N Idaho.

No races, just people and bikes. At the Lost Trail Fest, there was every kind of rig imaginable from Class Bs, adventure rigs, backpacker trailers...everything but a bus.

We are looking for more of these.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Me Too!!

Hey guys, great, timely post! I just started my 2nd year of retirement (wow, I am MADE for this!), my wife hasn't retired (boo, and a little yay!), and I'm itching to get on the road.

Last year my excursions, which were usually 2-3 weeks long, visited the eastern side of the continent Nfld to NC to Fla. (I'm in North Bay, Ontario).

This fall I'm going west! I'm starting in Columbia SC (family) at the end of October. I'll head west, looking for rides, hikes, sights, and good suds. Pisgah is my probable first stop, depending on weather.

I travel and camp out of my SUV which I've set up to stay in if needed or I use a tent for longer stays.

I've ridden a bit of Moab and Fruita a few years ago but that was summer, and hot. I'm really looking forward to the desert riding again and places like Sedona and St. George that I've read so much about. (This'll definitely be more than a 2 week trip, I think I'll fly the wife out for a week to keep in touch)

Hope we can connect, I too, like to primitive camp where I can. Riding and hiking, and the suds after.....yippee!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Can2pir!! Most excellent!! Just everything, from your embracing of retirement, your desire to explore, rollin' simple and lite (primitive camping w/ SUV), and combining with a mountain bike. Sweeet!

I was at a local brewery early this year in the Pisgah area when a Canadian rider turned me on to the Squirrel Gap Trail. I remember that as a great ride. I really like DuPont State Forest too.

The West is amazing. I've been in Colorado all summer, staying for a couple of weeks in one incredible area after the other. Right now I'm outside Durango on the San Juan N.F. with my "radar" pinging strong for Phil's World. Oh yeah!

kaBLOOnie and me are rollin' separate right now but will reconnect in Fruita or Moab in early October. From there we'll follow the season towards St.George and Arizona.

Definitely connect up with us! PM me anytime and I'm sure kaBLOOnie will chime in here at some point.

mtbr member
    can2pir, your response made my day! I hope there are many more such responses.

I have practiced clicking on the poster's name. This forum makes it easy to email them or private-message them.

Jack Pine and I are not locked into a rigid schedule. We welcome the input of people who join in. For instance, you were interested in Sedona. I have never gone to Sedona, perhaps because I feared it was an over-crowded tourist trap. But that might be too pessimistic. With the right timing, one can nibble on the fringes of over-crowded places, and still have a good time.

You might be doing us a real favor if you join in and influence us in that direction.

You said you will leave South Carolina at the end of October. Most people would consider Moab and Fruita at the end of the season then. November is the month of glory for St. George, Hurricane, Virgin, Gooseberry Mesa.

I'm sure your SUV/tent will serve you well in coolish -- but not cold -- autumn weather in Utah.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Attend mountain bike festivals, arrive early, stay late, you'll meet plenty of like minded folks.

We're a long way from retiring, but it'd be fun to meet folks who are parked near good riding, just need a way to find you
    This

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Your Best Friend
    I live at the base of Gooseberry Mesa near St. George Utah. I have power and water hookups but no sewer. Any of you are welcome to park at my place. Cover my costs and we're golden. I'm not 50+ but I am retired, does that count? Let's ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I live at the base of Gooseberry Mesa near St. George Utah. I have power and water hookups but no sewer. Any of you are welcome to park at my place. Cover my costs and we're golden. I'm not 50+ but I am retired, does that count? Let's ride!

Woohoo!!! Sounds great!
    As the season winds down here, I start to get the 'heebeegeebees' thinking about the weather changes.

Don't get me wrong, when the snow is here, -10C is wonderful to play in, snow shoe, Fat Bike, XC ski, okay DH ski, but not so much here. It's the 2-3 months on 'tween weather that kills me! Freezing rain, snow, melt, ..... ahhhhhh! I can't think of it!

Looking forward to riding your trails! Thanks for the offer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

I will be back out on the Mesa this thanks giving week hope to finally ride with ya finally. Not sure if any others are going to make the trip but I need it. I have a week in October that is undecided on the location but Iím working on it.

I know you know this camp spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Riding near Montrose/Ridgway CO next week 10--15 Oct 2017

Jack Pine and I will be teaming up (dispersed camping and mountain biking) near Montrose and Ridgway, CO next week, 10-15 October. We welcome others to show up and ride with us. Doesn't matter where you camp.

Perhaps you can help us head to your favorite spot after we have "harvested" this area. Click on our names on the posts and leave a private message, or better yet, use email.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Heading up to mt Thomas just east of hemet lake in the morning. Going to ride Ramona trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    And we're off... Jack Pine and I have joined up for the first annual mountain bike/RV camping journey through Utah and Arizona in fall and winter. Actually we are still in western Colorado, slipping downriver towards Fruita.

Here is where we are camped tonight, near Montrose.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_3259.jpg

mtbr member
    Continuing on... on our autumn/winter quest of Utah and Arizona. Today Jack Pine and I rode the RAT trail system around Ridgway, CO. We were very impressed by the layout of the trails, their flowiness, and the hardpack dirt texture of the trail.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_0853.jpg

After the ride, we had a great cup of coffee and muffin at a Ridgway coffee shop.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_0855.jpg

Ridgway now has a bicycle shop, the Ridgway Wrench. We stopped there and had a nice discussion with the owner. With the RAT serving as his anchor, his store should be a success.

Next up is the trail system closer to Montrose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good stuff kaBLOOnie! It was pretty cool the way we converged from two different directions on Tuesday for our meetup at that dispersed camp you knew of up on the mesa. I really enjoyed exploring out across the Uncompahgre Plateau yesterday on the dirt roads with you! And now today....wow yeah I love this life of traveling with the seasons, riding my bike in diverse and interesting areas, and sharing it with fun friends!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_20171012_190551603.jpg  

mtbr member
    We're slowly making progress to warmer climates on this year's mountain bike and RV camping tour of Utah and Arizona. It will take all winter.

Today we lost some altitude to Montrose, CO, where we did the Buzzard Gulch trails. And we had our first female team member. She had plenty of energy today. Of course it didn't hurt that she is gorgeous. (I may be a little biassed.)

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_0867.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Although weather hasn't totally hit ugly here in Northern Ontario, I am really looking forward to catching up with you guys. I'm heading south to Columbia S.C. for the last weekend of October, probably hit Brevard for a ride in Pisgah Monday, 30th, then high tail it across to Utah/Arizona. I might do a day or two in Bentonville (??) it's sort of on the way and seems to be a 'destination'. I'm really looking forward to the nomadic life with some delicious desert riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Can2pir View Post
    Although weather hasn't totally hit ugly here in Northern Ontario, I am really looking forward to catching up with you guys. I'm heading south to Columbia S.C. for the last weekend of October, probably hit Brevard for a ride in Pisgah Monday, 30th, then high tail it across to Utah/Arizona. I might do a day or two in Bentonville (??) it's sort of on the way and seems to be a 'destination'. I'm really looking forward to the nomadic life with some delicious desert riding!
    We are looking forward to you joining us Can2pir! My nomadic wandering, combined with biking and sharing with interesting people along the way, has been very good for me. I hope (and believe) it can bring you some of the same joys and rewards!

mtbr member
    Update on the first annual RV camping and mountain bike tour of Utah and Arizona: it's about time that we got out of Colorado and into Utah, isn't it? Does Fruita count? That was hit today.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_20171016_110848594.jpg

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_20171016_120549778.jpg

I liked the non-technical first half. Jack Pine liked the technical second half, best. Perfect weather and free camping.

New participants are welcome of course.

mtbr member
    If you find some clustering of riders send me a PM. I'm full time and relocate every 3-6 months. I am just finishing up a summer in Ohio riding Mohican and will be heading out to Black Canyon AZ for riding this winter. Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img-0376.jpgMeet-up for RV or van long term travelers-mohican.jpg

mtbr member
    Whoa! I camped in that very spot three weeks ago after riding the Gem trails. A five gallon jug of water broke in the back of the 4 wheel pop top driving up to the mesa and I had stuff everywhere drying. I loved the practice loop. The rest of the riding up there was a bit challenging for a 70 year old guy but I loved it. No crashes! What a great place to camp and I could phone my wife from camp and assure her I was still alive. All while she supervised the harvest of my nut crop. Disappointing, only 3 tons this year.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

mtbr member
    There are times when it gets discouraging to recreate in an over-crowded state like Colorado, or at a name-brand destination like Fruita or Moab.

The good news is that there is a world of difference between being a full time nomad versus a weekend warrior. We were enjoying uncrowded dispersed camping and trails at Fruita 18 Road, thanks to arriving on a Sunday.

We rode up the backside of Book Cliffs today, which is far from the masses. Not quite a thousand feet of steep but smooth climbing on a multi-use trail. The haziness didn't make for great long-distance photographs on top of Book Cliffs, but we all enjoyed getting up there.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_0887.jpg

With the weekenders coming tomorrow we will see refuge in unpopular areas, as we actually cross into Utah and angle down towards Moab.
    Last edited by kaBLOOnie; 4 Days Ago at 06:10 PM.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by kaBLOOnie View Post
    There are times when it gets discouraging to recreate in an over-crowded state like Colorado, or at a name-brand destination like Fruita or Moab.

The good news is that there is a world of difference between being a full time nomad versus a weekend warrior. We were enjoying uncrowded dispersed camping and trails at Fruita 18 Road, thanks to arriving on a Sunday.

We rode up the backside of Book Cliffs today, which is far from the masses. Not quite a thousand feet of steep but smooth climbing on a multi-use trail. The haziness didn't make for great long-distance photographs on top of Book Cliffs, but we all enjoyed getting up there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	1163187

With the weekenders coming tomorrow we will see refuge in unpopular areas, as we actually cross into Utah and angle down towards Moab.
    This is definitely not the time of year to be anywhere near Moab If you don't want crowds.

mtbr member
    Would our good luck with avoiding crowds survive the Utah state school holiday that was this Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday? We were in the Fruita area, after all.

Believe it or not, it did hold. We start rides as early in the morning as we can stand. (That is particularly easy on the days I bring my dog, since dogs are crepuscular animals who love chilly weather.) Most tourists/vacationer/weekend warriers don't like early hours, and most women don't like chilly mornings.

Once again it was working, when we chanced upon a mountain bike celebrity, R U Nuts Adventures, with a blog of that name. We knew he was in the area. We stopped and chatted with him for an hour, because he was so fun.

But by then, the hordes were up and about. I almost collided with one woman.

We will keep dancing around the edges of the hordes. Hopefully, arriving at Moab tomorrow (Monday) will work out.

Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_0912.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That was some good ridin' at the Kokopelli Trail System kaBLOOnie, and of course the beautiful setting above the Colorado River! Sweet! The parking lots were pretty full when we left, that's for sure.

To me though the highlight of the weekend came after we left town and within just five miles found that free camp spot on the BLM. Quiet, level, with a panoramic view of the area and large enough to accommodate our guest and new friend.

What interesting stories from Craig, Mr. R U Nuts himself, with his nine years on the road, and you with your amazing twenty years of Independence and travels were shared Saturday night! I fairly struggled to keep up with my paltry three years of nomadic wandering tales

Lookin' forward to any of you folks reading this to hit us up and join in along the way!Meet-up for RV or van long term travelers-img_20171022_072710764_hdr-640x360-.jpg