Life's a Garden, dig it!

Does Anybody Know...

The age limit for the "Space Force"?

I'm 56, but pretty fit. Will there be a hard cut off at say, 40? Or will there be exceptions as long as certain physical paramters are met?

Willl there be an elite arm of Space Force, like Space Seals? Wait, the suits will be sealed, right?

Weapons will have to evolve, right? I mean, bullets in space won't work, so I'm thinking lasers. I have a laser pointer that I've been practicing with and my target acquisistion is quite good. I think I'm ready for more power. Can I get bigger batteries and start burning holes in enemy spacecraft? Or will I need a Mr. Fusion to provide enough power to my laser? If Mr. Fusion can produce at least 1.21 Gigiwatts, it should be enough to power a handheld one, right? I'm not talking abut a Death Star, here.

I want to be out in front of this thing (NOT the laser).

If this thing will be expeditionary and not strictly defensive, I'm thinking sweet Martian singletrack. Can we pack our bikes?
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

mtbr member
    I sincerely hope they consult with Mel Brooks on the uniforms and helmets. Especially the helmets.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    We gotta have a defense against the Q-36 Space Modulator.

Name:  mars-photo-meme-4.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  18.3 KB

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    We gotta have a defense against the Q-36 Space Modulator.

Name:  mars-photo-meme-4.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  18.3 KB
    Otherwise, there will be an Earth-shattering KABOOM!
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

Contains no juice.
    Lots of intelligent questions there, Spaceman Mac. I think all of them will be answered by watching this: https://youtu.be/upQuq4HsA-8
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

Contains no juice.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 08-11-2018 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Wtf? Pouble dost. DUMP TRUMP!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Now you are blowing my mind. At the moment the firing pin hits the cap, the oxygen being used for detonation of the cap would be whatever is sealed in the cap, right? And at least the initial detonation of the powder would use the oxygen sealed in the cartridge.

Guns can fire underwater. I think they would work in space as well. Of course, if you accidentally blew a hole in the side of the spacecraft there could be, umm, some issues.

In theory, I think a bullet fired from a gun in space would travel until it was captured by some gravitational force, right?

OK, I had to google it. Yes, guns will fire in space, and yes, the bullet will fly until captured by a gravitational force.

https://www.livescience.com/18588-shoot-gun-space.html

Contains no juice.
    Oh, and it will cost approximately $52,855,982 in fuel to pack your 24-pound bike, so, no.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Now you are blowing my mind. At the moment the firing pin hits the cap, the oxygen being used for detonation of the cap would be whatever is sealed in the cap, right? And at least the initial detonation of the powder would use the oxygen sealed in the cartridge.

Guns can fire underwater. I think they would work in space as well. Of course, if you accidentally blew a hole in the side of the spacecraft there could be, umm, some issues.

In theory, I think a bullet fired from a gun in space would travel until it was captured by some gravitational force, right?

OK, I had to google it. Yes, guns will fire in space, and yes, the bullet will fly until captured by a gravitational force.

But there wont be any sound. You wont need ear protection when you're plinking at the moon.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post

Ahhh, but would the recoil send you hurtling backwards into oblivion? ...until of course, gravity intervenes.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Oh, and it will cost approximately $52,855,982 in fuel to pack your 24-pound bike, so, no.
    You're just trying to ruin it for a safe and healthy vacation destination.

9 lives
    There are some benefits to space travel:

The Twin Study:

Scott Kelly's telomeres — or the ends of chromosomes that shorten as people get older — got a lot longer in space. This finding was known in 2017, but investigators confirmed it and also discovered that most of the telomeres got shorter again within two days of Scott's landing

https://www.space.com/39952-nasa-twi...h-effects.html

But the disadvantages of space travel still need to be hammered out: bone loss, heart muscle changes, radiation exposure etc.

It does seem tempting though
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    There are some benefits to space travel:

The Twin Study:

https://www.space.com/39952-nasa-twi...h-effects.html

But the disadvantages of space travel still need to be hammered out: bone loss, heart muscle changes, radiation exposure etc.

It does seem tempting though
    The telomeres thing is really interesting. Having not read the article do we know why? Was it gravity related or diet etc.? We know calorie restriction and fasting lengthens telomeres for example. It stands to reason mountain biking lengthens them as well.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The telomeres thing is really interesting. Having not read the article do we know why? Was it gravity related or diet etc.? We know calorie restriction and fasting lengthens telomeres for example. It stands to reason mountain biking lengthens them as well.
    Interesting article about research findings on telomeres and slowing the aging process with regular exercise

Does Exercise Slow the Aging Process?

Almost any amount and type of physical activity may slow aging deep within our cells, a new study finds. And middle age may be a critical time to get the process rolling, at least by one common measure of cell aging.

Dating a cell’s age is tricky, because its biological and chronological ages rarely match. A cell could be relatively young in terms of how long it has existed but function slowly or erratically, as if elderly.

Today, many scientists have begun determining a cell’s biological age — meaning how well it functions and not how old it literally is — by measuring the length of its telomeres.

For those of us who don’t know every portion of our cells’ interiors, telomeres are tiny caps found on the end of DNA strands, like plastic aglets on shoelaces. They are believed to protect the DNA from damage during cell division and replication.

As a cell ages, its telomeres naturally shorten and fray. But the process can be accelerated by obesity, smoking, insomnia, diabetes and other aspects of health and lifestyle.

In those cases, the affected cells age prematurely.

However, recent science suggests that exercise may slow the fraying of telomeres. Past studies have found, for instance, that master athletes typically have longer telomeres than sedentary people of the same age, as do older women who frequently walk or engage in other fairly moderate exercise.

But those studies were relatively narrow, focusing mostly on elderly people who ran or walked. It remained unclear whether people of different ages who engaged in a variety of exercises would likewise show effects on their telomeres.

So for the new study, which was published this month in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, researchers from the University of Mississippi and University of California, San Francisco, decided to look more broadly at the interactions of exercise and telomeres among a wide swath of Americans.

To do so, they turned to the immense trove of data generated by the ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, for which tens of thousands of adults answer questions annually about their health, including their exercise habits, and complete an in-person health exam, providing a blood sample.

In recent years, those blood samples have been tested for, among other markers of health, telomere length in the participants’ white blood cells.

The researchers gathered the data for about 6,500 of the participants, ranging in age from 20 to 84, and then categorized them into four groups, based on how they had responded to questions about exercise.

Those questions in this survey tended to be broad, asking people only if, at any time during the past month, they had engaged in weight training, moderate exercise like walking, more vigorous exercise like running, or have walked or ridden a bike to work or school.

If a participant answered yes to any of those four questions, he or she earned a point from the researchers. So, someone who reported walking received a point. If he also ran, he earned another, and so on, for a maximum of four points.

The researchers then compared those tallies to each person’s telomere length.

And there were clear associations. For every point someone gained from any type of exercise, his or her risks of having unusually short telomeres declined significantly.

Specifically, someone who participated in a single activity, earning them a 1, was about 3 percent less likely to have very short telomeres than someone who didn’t exercise at all.

That risk declined more substantially if someone exercised more. People who reported two types of exercise were 24 percent less likely to have short telomeres; three types of exercise were 29 percent less likely; and those who had participated in all four types of activities were 59 percent less likely to have very short telomeres.

Interestingly, these associations were strongest among people between the ages of 40 and 65, the researchers found, suggesting that middle age may be a key time to begin or maintain an exercise program if you wish to keep telomeres from shrinking, says Paul Loprinzi, an assistant professor of health and exercise science at the University of Mississippi. He was a co-author of the study with Jeremy Loenneke, also of the University of Mississippi, and Elizabeth Blackburn, a professor at the University of California, San Francisco, who shared a Nobel Prize in 2009 for the discovery of the molecular nature of telomeres.

However, as Dr. Loprinzi points out, this study is purely associational, so cannot show whether exercise actually causes changes in telomere length, only that people who exercise have longer telomeres.

The study also couldn’t tease out the ideal amount of exercise for telomere maintenance, Dr. Loprinzi say, because the survey asked only whether someone exercised at all, not how frequently.

Perhaps most important, the results don’t tell us whether longer telomeres translate into better health. But, Dr. Loprinzi says, other studies, including from his lab, “have shown that telomeres are predictive of mortality,” with shorter telomeres equating to shorter lives.

So the message seems clear, he says. “Exercise is good” for your cells, and “more exercise in greater variety” is likely to be even better.
    sauce https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...aging-process/
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I remember a time when being called a "Space Cadet" was an insult.

mtbr member
    I hope they have Storm Trooper suits.

Contains no juice.
    When Trump is impeached, Pence can name it after himself: Pence Defense.

One ring to mash them all
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    — Jonathan Swift

mtbr member
    Trump 2020 MAGA, WINS BY A LANDSLIDE .

9 lives
    I spotted this suit on the weekend. Kind of retro, kind of DIY, and kind of kinky

Does Anybody Know...-39067963_2187691851475254_3520220625333387264_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Trump 2020 MAGA, WINS BY A LANDSLIDE .
    Trump's not delusional, he just enjoys getting people to believe his lies

Lies lies lies, yeah.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 08-12-2018 at 06:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Seriously complaining about Trump lying with Hillary as your pick. Hypocrite.

Go take your meds Finch, your going to need them.

mtbr member
    Yeah! Fiiiiiinch!
    https://youtu.be/BEoCg4737LU

mtbr member
    Hey Chuckha, your butt get hurt? Did you neg reg Finch as well? Thought not, liberal trash. You off the meds? Maybe you and Finch can go have a medicated weekend, just need someone to stand in the middle to give you a hand.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    LargeBoy, You are a riot. Keep it coming man!

Truth be told, Yeah... Finch and I are having a blast at your expense behind the scenes. Your entertainment value is skyrocketing right now. Love it.

May the Farce Be With You. Live long and Perspire.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Ahhh, but would the recoil send you hurtling backwards into oblivion? ...until of course, gravity intervenes.
    I thought of that too, Hmm wonder what a .50 BMG would do??

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    May the Farce Be With You. Live long and Perspire.
    Mixing franchises? Party foul.
    "Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired"
    — Jonathan Swift

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Mixing franchises? Party foul.
    Right?!?! I call it taking liberties. It's akin to "alternative facts".

Contains no juice.
    Wow! Another LargeMan, just what we need.

mtbr member
    Wow! Another LargeMan, just what we need!
    Was joking man, looking for a laugh 100%
    You'll never catch me caught up in partisan nonsense.
    Anyway I thought that video was hilarious.

Contains no juice.
    Was joking man, looking for a laugh 100%
    You'll never catch me caught up in partisan nonsense.
    Anyway I thought that video was hilarious.
    No prob.

Someone took a lot of time to put that together.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Interesting article about research findings on telomeres and slowing the aging process with regular exercise

sauce https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...aging-process/

This is what I was going to reply with: the telomere elongation is probably a stress response. It's probably just a coincidence. There are some things that get better with a stress response and some things that get worse. There are thousands of genes involved in a stress response if someone is in a different environment, for example high altitude or zero gravity. I'm pretty sure it's just a 'good' side effect.

BTW I'm only 48 so I should be exiting the forum now lol.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    This is what I was going to reply with: the telomere elongation is probably a stress response. It's probably just a coincidence. There are some things that get better with a stress response and some things that get worse. There are thousands of genes involved in a stress response if someone is in a different environment, for example high altitude or zero gravity. I'm pretty sure it's just a 'good' side effect.

BTW I'm only 48 so I should be exiting the forum now lol.
    Boo! Hiss! Go Away!

Wait, join the Space Farce while you can. We'll be envious.

mtbr member
    One of the big let downs of my life is that we are not in deep space yet.

I remember watching the sky for the first satellites, and the excitement of the moon landing. Surely it would only be a matter of 10-20 years after that until we were regularly going space or whizzing around the moon on our rocket bikes.

I is disappoint.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

saddlemeat
    ^Hate to break it to you Velobike, but the moon landing was a media event. Google it...
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Hate to break it to you Velobike, but the moon landing was a media event. Google it...
    I did

Apollo and the moon-landing hoax | Human World | EarthSky

And I still want a rocketbike....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If there is a "Spaced-Out" Force count me in!

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

Independence Day, the movie, remember ?

Gene Roddenberry was an alien I think, If we don't follow his advice and get some Galaxy class Star Ships up there ASAP we will end up food for the Gods.

Look back though Human History, Always the More advanced race/culture wiped out the less advanced, The American Indians kinda survived. but I feel modern man Is just not that resilient.

So, what will It be ?
    A Race travels all that distance and endures all the perril just to say Hi.
    Or one comes for mother Earth and takes It from us...

Does Anybody Know...-719722.jpg
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    ...So, what will It be ?
    A Race travels all that distance and endures all the perril just to say Hi.
    Or one comes for mother Earth and takes It from us...
    As a certain book of guidance says "Do to others as you would have them do to you"

On that basis, Western civilisation is stuffed.

Where's my rocketship? I wanna get out of here...

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	719722.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	1212265
    Um, she's kinda hot.

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009
    nevermind...
    "The free press doesn't serve the government, it serves the governed."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjchad View Post
    nevermind...
    Your lifespan, especially healthy years. Level of enjoyment, sense of well being, etc. I could go on but most importantly it lengthens the amount of time before I want to choke a motherbleeper out.