mtbr member
    Jul 2016

89 HardRock being replaced - need opinions

Ok, I gave in an went looking at bikes today. There are only three shops in town so it didn't take to long. I searched the web ahead of time so I had a pretty good idea which models I wanted to check out. I am looking at the KHS Aguila and Winslow a well as the Giant Talon 29er. The Aguila seems to have the best components but the Giant has that lifetime guarantee. I am not very impressed with the components on the Trek or Specialized at least in the price range I am looking at. My riding will be on some trails and the street. Does anyone have any opinions on these three or any others that are at or below the $850 budget? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Giant has always been good to me. Warranty saved me twice.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Life Is Short
    Your in the 50+ forum, a lifetime warrantee is like caring about whats going to happen in 2039. I'd get the Specialized 29er Rockhopper, it just feels better than the Giant.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...pper-29/106525
    Ride More, Eat More

Cycologist
    I wouldn't be too concerned about a lifetime warrantee on a hardtail and it sounds like you will not be riding it hard. These are all major brands with good products. So the usual advice: take them all for a ride and buy the one you like best, take into consideration how you like the bikes shop, price and any extras they will throw in. Better components are better as long as you like the bike. Ride, enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for the info and I have tomorrow off so going to test ride them. Added the Rockhopper to the list, figured it would be out of my desired price range but right in there. By the way I do care about what's going to happen in 2039....I'll only be 80!! :-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Personally warranty is huge for me. Sure, you might never need it. But the time you really wish you had it is when you need it, and didn't get it.

I've had so SO many frame issues warrantied over the years that I would never ever buy a reasonably expensive bike without an extremely good warranty.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappin1 View Post
    Thanks for the info and I have tomorrow off so going to test ride them. Added the Rockhopper to the list, figured it would be out of my desired price range but right in there. By the way I do care about what's going to happen in 2039....I'll only be 80!! :-D
    If you were a African American male, the chances of seeing 2039 is slim as the average life expectancy is 67.
    Ride More, Eat More

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    Personally warranty is huge for me. Sure, you might never need it. But the time you really wish you had it is when you need it, and didn't get it.

I've had so SO many frame issues warrantied over the years that I would never ever buy a reasonably expensive bike without an extremely good warranty.
    Just curious, were some of these hardtails? Of course, I only weight 135lbs so I'm not pounding my frames so much. Though I did manage to crack the rear triangle on my DBR many years ago, seems it was a problem with the frames (V-link 3.0) fatiguing after many years. It may have had a lifetime warrantee but Diamondback had since been sold and I don't think they would honor it and I had bought the frame used.

chaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No, no hardtails. Long history of broken rear triangles with Fisher/Trek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardTraveller View Post
    No, no hardtails. Long history of broken rear triangles with Fisher/Trek.
    I've never broken a rear triangle on a hardtail. It really depends on what sort of riding you're doing, big boy BMX, or going places.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Or whether your frame has a manufacturing flaw. Or cable routing issue that weakens the frame causing failure. Or any of a miriad of other things that, while not expected, can and do happen.

I like good warranties. For expensive purchases, I _expect_ good warranties. Of course it doesn't matter if you never need it...but that time that you do, and you don't have it, you always wish you did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I rode them all plus a couple others just for good measure. Ended up with the KHS based on mainly the ride. It just fit like the ol Hardrock. The better component package was a plus and the $50 off sale didn't hurt. Those 29" wheels really do soak up the bumps and my shoulders are loving the shock! I just wish there was a way to attach my Blackburn rear rack. Thanks for all your help.