Poll: How old are you?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

The 50+ Year Old Age Poll...PART II ***A continuation thread.

The original poll ran out and I failed in getting them to continue it. So letís start a new one. If you voted in the original age poll please vote again here.

For those that missed the first age poll thread you can get caught up here >

The Official 50 + Years Old Age Poll .....thread.

For reference the first poll results are below.

The 50+ Year Old Age Poll...PART II ***A continuation thread.-4416dc33-bcec-4dd4-9d4e-eaf07369304d.jpg

How old are you and give us some background of your riding and so forth. And please take the POLL way up there ^^. Sorry I felt the need to bold a few key points for some of you oldies. LOL

Iím now 56.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    67-70 instead of 61-65 and 66-70?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I'm 66 (in 6 days, but close enough).

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    68 in bike years.

Bikesexual
    Just turn 53 a couple of weeks ago, so I voted again.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    67-70 instead of 61-65 and 66-70?
    I noticed that too late. Sorry but one canít edit poll submissions. It all works the way itís set up anyways.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Kill this one and start another. A lot can happen between 61 and 70. I think a case could be made for decreasing age ranges as you get older. 30-50, 50-60, 60-65, 65-70, 70-74, 74-77, 77-80, 80-dead.
    Do the math.

mtbr member

Never too old...

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Iím 56 now, ride XC on a Pivot Mach429C. Generally do about 20 miles a ride and get out nearly every weekend from early Spring through seasonís end. Thatís when thereís too much snow for me.

I tend to ride as fast as I can, and surprise, usually ride solo.

My Fitbit says I ride at peak heart rate for 90%+ of the ride, but my mind says why arenít I hammering these trails like the days of yore?

So, as I age, my cardio stays strong, but my legs are weaker.

Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPECIALizED
    I'm coming up on 54 and generally do long XC rides that include fire roads and singletrack and sometimes I'll throw in some techy downhill. My last vacation I rode 10 days straight and covered 330 miles and climbed over 42k'. I have cardiomyopathy so never push beyond 80%. Only a few years ago I never wanted to see my bike again after a 3 hour ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Kill this one and start another. A lot can happen between 61 and 70. I think a case could be made for decreasing age ranges as you get older. 30-50, 50-60, 60-65, 65-70, 70-74, 74-77, 77-80, 80-dead.
    I get it, but this poll is a continuation of the first one. So with that in mind I wanted it to mirror or close to mirror the first one. I think itís fine the way itís set up. Easier to compare to the first poll later on in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That is awesome.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That is awesome.
    x1000 I missed that post yesterday.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That is awesome.
    Damned straight it is.
    "The man was born on third and thinks he hit a triple. But instead of running home, he ran to second base."

mtbr member
    We get old when we stop playing.

mtbr member
    59 in October

Thanks for the inspiration 'velobike'...great vid!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Only 47 replies!?! Where is everyone?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Only 47 replies!?! Where is everyone?
    Will be 58 in Feb
    Raced bmx 78/81
    Comfort bike and road bikes the last 20 yrs and started rideing pump track on a 22" and some bmx practicing on a 24" this spring
    New to mtb
    Just picked up a spec sj fs a couple months ago ,wow is this fun, single track with old bmx buddies and hitting the downhills at Welsh in Minnesota

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Iím 56 now, ride XC on a Pivot Mach429C. Generally do about 20 miles a ride and get out nearly every weekend from early Spring through seasonís end. Thatís when thereís too much snow for me.

I tend to ride as fast as I can, and surprise, usually ride solo.

My Fitbit says I ride at peak heart rate for 90%+ of the ride, but my mind says why arenít I hammering these trails like the days of yore?

So, as I age, my cardio stays strong, but my legs are weaker.

Dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    typical old guy, bragging he still feels his legs

Trail Gnome
    Am I reply #50??? I turned 50 this year...definetly donít ride as much as I used to, even though I have more time to I only get out about once a week, maybe twice??? I like it as technical as I can get...fast is good too
    I just rode this trail: Hay Flat DH two weeks ago.
    https://www.trailforks.com/video/18233/

mtbr member
    I'm thrilled to be turning 62 in 10 days because I can get my lifetime National Parks entry and Prescott National Forest parking passes. One of the best things about aging imo. I ride 3-4 times a week. A typical ride is 15-25 miles. Most rides total 3k+ feet of climbing. I ride a mixture of blue and black diamond trails that blend XC and tech. Nothing too extreme. I'm fortunate to have good health insurance, but the thought of a trip to the ER and a long convalescence off the bike keeps me from taking too many chances. Started as a road biker in the mid 1970s and got into bike touring. Saw my first klunker mtb in 1980 when a guy named Grant from Marin showed up at Chico State. I immediately knew I had to have one and when a new company called Specialized came out with something called a Stumpjumper in 1981 I ordered one through, I think, REI. Sold my last real road bike in about 1985. MTB only since then.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just turned 53, feeling pretty good overall, really don't notice a decline in strength or cardio, though I am slower than I was twenty years ago; read that as slower in speed, slower in recovery.

I tend to alternate sports, kayaking, running, climbing, skiing, but riding and hiking/running were my constants. I gave up running (ultras) about ten years ago after repeated injuries and back/hip pain; now I hike as a lower impact alternative. I gave up skiing and boarding after knee injuries (MCL), gave up muni for shoulder and back pain, gave up kayaking over concerns about limited oxygen underwater (tried to drown a few times). I gave up road riding over concerns of being hit by motorists.

Mountain biking has gradually become my primary sport, I blame technology for this; the bikes just ride so well these days. As I've increased my riding, I have increased my speed (downhill) and ratcheted up my style, as a result I have had a big uptick in injuries; three major crashes this summer (ribs, leg, finger, knee, arm).

I am trying to tone down my risk, but the crashes keep coming, most recently I clipped a tree at speed and ended up with a crush injury on my fibula; I was just riding along...

As for how age affects me, I suppose I'm more inclined to take my time on climbs, take longer rides, more pacing. I also take more pictures. I do tend to ride alone, which feels better because I'm not feeling pressure. I do enjoy riding with others, but it depends on their other person's style. I like to ride with my adult kids, my dogs, and my wife.

I ride three to four times a week, mid week is scheduled around work, F-Su I ride a few times, mostly long rides, often taking road trips.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Just turned 53, feeling pretty good overall, really don't notice a decline in strength or cardio, though I am slower than I was twenty years ago; read that as slower in speed, slower in recovery.

I tend to alternate sports, kayaking, running, climbing, skiing, but riding and hiking/running were my constants. I gave up running (ultras) about ten years ago after repeated injuries and back/hip pain; now I hike as a lower impact alternative. I gave up skiing and boarding after knee injuries (MCL), gave up muni for shoulder and back pain, gave up kayaking over concerns about limited oxygen underwater (tried to drown a few times). I gave up road riding over concerns of being hit by motorists.

Mountain biking has gradually become my primary sport, I blame technology for this; the bikes just ride so well these days. As I've increased my riding, I have increased my speed (downhill) and ratcheted up my style, as a result I have had a big uptick in injuries; three major crashes this summer (ribs, leg, finger, knee, arm).

I am trying to tone down my risk, but the crashes keep coming, most recently I clipped a tree at speed and ended up with a crush injury on my fibula; I was just riding along...

As for how age affects me, I suppose I'm more inclined to take my time on climbs, take longer rides, more pacing. I also take more pictures. I do tend to ride alone, which feels better because I'm not feeling pressure. I do enjoy riding with others, but it depends on their other person's style. I like to ride with my adult kids, my dogs, and my wife.

I ride three to four times a week, mid week is scheduled around work, F-Su I ride a few times, mostly long rides, often taking road trips.
    I have to thank you nurse ben.
    I am sure you helped many people move.
    It is just your personality.
    My brother is like that, not me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Move? As in their bowels

Yeah, I'm waaay ADHD, I tend to think long after I act, which gets me in trouble and keeps me in trouble, but I have a big heart and a kind soul, so maybe that offsets the rest of my personality.

I actually don't mind getting old, and though it can be annoying and frustrating, I find that I am also calmer and more patient, so it all evens out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I have to thank you nurse ben.
    I am sure you helped many people move.
    It is just your personality.
    My brother is like that, not me.
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29/27+
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+ (Loaner)
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I turned 59 in June and am lucky enough to be retiring in December. Right now I ride 2-3 times a week, plan to increase that with more free time. I worked out with a personal trainer for 4 months last spring and greatly increased my fitness (and lost 18#s), kept up the fitness over the summer with riding but stopped lifting weights. Hope to start the lifting again this winter but don't know if I'll put out the $ for a trainer again. Alpine skiing is my other interest and am buying a seasons pass this year for the first time in about 5 years.

Might try to find some part time work at some point, but not sure I can find the time. If we keep our costs under control we shouldn't need to, but healthcare costs are the big wildcard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi, i am 60, a lifer outdoor guy but no hunthing nor fishing.
    2 years ago i discovered our fun thing. Upnorth fatbiking 4 months MTBiking 8 months. It brings me balance. 5 years ago i moved in with my parents because they sold their house and progressively the old age was limiting their capacities. The first year was great than the stress increased. Fortunately my older sister and brother are living close so occasionally i leave for a week to come back smiling. My dad died a year ago.
    65 years of love, wow.
    So my mom is waiting to die.
    That is the reason i spend some time on this forum, to get away from earing about sickness, and death.
    Thanks for helping me for free.
    You are my therapists.

mtbr member
    I feel for you, 33red. I watched what it did to my Parents to be caretaker for my Grandmother. I hope you're also getting therapy with your bike.

just clicked over 64 years. I am not as bold and capable as many of you folks here, but damn. this is fun.

Bikesexual
    Hi, i am 60, a lifer outdoor guy but no hunthing nor fishing.
    2 years ago i discovered our fun thing. Upnorth fatbiking 4 months MTBiking 8 months. It brings me balance. 5 years ago i moved in with my parents because they sold their house and progressively the old age was limiting their capacities. The first year was great than the stress increased. Fortunately my older sister and brother are living close so occasionally i leave for a week to come back smiling. My dad died a year ago.
    65 years of love, wow.
    So my mom is waiting to die.
    That is the reason i spend some time on this forum, to get away from earing about sickness, and death.
    Thanks for helping me for free.
    You are my therapists.
    You are not alone my friend, and cycling has helped me deal with my situation. #everyrideisepic

I'm a full time caregiver for my Mom that suffers from Alzheimer's. But she is been fighting illnesses since a kid with polio. She came out of that virtually free of any defects. At 82, she has fallen on her head during a Thanksgiving functiob, she had kidney stent put in, a colostomy and a reversed colostomy, this year, breast cancer, had surgery in April? Today, her left knee is like a grapefruit! I rarely talk about this here, precisely because its a bit of a getaway.

Funny thing is if you saw her, you will think I'm full of shit, she is full of life, and with Alzheimer's every minute is new, well its becoming more like every 5 seconds are new.

The only time she becomes aggressive and disoriented is when I'm not around, like this weekend that I did my little weekend bike trip.

So at some point, it won't be manageable, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So 33red, I hope it all works out, know that there is only so much we can do, if you ever need to chat, dont hesitate to PM me.

It can get lonely in this world.

Best of luck!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    33red and jcd46, major props to you guys. Life can be frickin' tough at times. 56 next week (and, as I always say, about 12 when I'm on my bike...). Gotta take care of myself so I can take care of my wife and her cancer-affected body. This year has been mostly running and riding from home, so I'm not gone too long. Been making a habit of weekly pre-work rides of 12-15 miles, 1800-2500 feet of gain. Nice thing about roadie riding is that I'm usually doing it right from my doorstep -- ALL saddle time. Just getting back to running after plantar fasciitis and VMO issues. Running and riding are beneficial both physically and mentally. Let's be strong together...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Iíll be 61 in November. Been riding since 83 and see no end in sight. Still ride seriously steep stuff but I avoid high exposure trails and most jumps. Iíve ridden many black trails here in Whistler but not much red although there are a few.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am 58. I ride a bike almost every day spring/summer/fall split between MTB and road biking. I try to get on my MTB a couple of times a week most of the winter. I live/ride on the North shore and love steep, technical trails. I hit the bike park a couple of times per year but it isn't my favourite type of riding. I can still keep up to the young guns on the climbs, but definitely slowing down on the decents.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Dirtjunkie, glad you brought this back to us.

At 55 and 4 years post heart surgery, my bikes are indeed my best friends. While I have cut down on the freeride/DH scene, a street session is a frequent occurrence along with many backcountry exploration rides that are the cat's meow. Those backcountry rides make +bikes highly relevant along with the fatty.

Average ride is 20+ miles. Average cadence, 125-150. High altitude keeps the temps very enjoyable.

Can I do it like a 20sompin? Not in the least! Back then, I could keep a cadence of 175 all day long.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Dirtjunkie, glad you brought this back to us.

At 55 and 4 years post heart surgery, my bikes are indeed my best friends. While I have cut down on the freeride/DH scene, a street session is a frequent occurrence along with many backcountry exploration rides that are the cat's meow. Those backcountry rides make +bikes highly relevant along with the fatty.

Average ride is 20+ miles. Average cadence, 125-150. High altitude keeps the temps very enjoyable.

Can I do it like a 20sompin? Not in the least! Back then, I could keep a cadence of 175 all day long.
    I am curious, how do u calculate your cadence?
    Thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    I am curious, how do u calculate your cadence?
    Thanks
    With an old cyclometer that does the task it is quite easy. Many of the new cyclometers are able to do not only speed/distance/cadence but also can use bluetooth heart rate monitors as well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    With an old cyclometer that does the task it is quite easy. Many of the new cyclometers are able to do not only speed/distance/cadence but also can use bluetooth heart rate monitors as well.
    In Canada your numbers make no sense and i guess it is the same around the world.
    We calculate cadence as RPM, rotation per minute.
    Most people max between 120-130 and that is not all day long.
    Let say your right foot is down that is 0
    each time it gets at the low position you ad 1
    using any watch count for 20 sec
    write here your result after multiplying by 3
    so it represents the 60 secounds count
    i bet your cyclometer # will not match.
    If it does start racing you are a super athlete.
    I am waiting.
    Thanks

Lone Wolf
    I noticed after 76 years old there is a zero percentage of riders still at It.

I plan to be on a powerful E-Bike by then.
    I'd like to die out on the trails :P
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post

The 77 are out there, i see them riding early weekdays.
    They just forgot about this site
    or maybe about that interwebs thing

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    In Canada your numbers make no sense and i guess it is the same around the world.
    We calculate cadence as RPM, rotation per minute.
    Most people max between 120-130 and that is not all day long.
    Let say your right foot is down that is 0
    each time it gets at the low position you ad 1
    using any watch count for 20 sec
    write here your result after multiplying by 3
    so it represents the 60 secounds count
    i bet your cyclometer # will not match.
    If it does start racing you are a super athlete.
    I am waiting.
    Thanks
    Um, cadence = RPM regardless of country. With one sensor you get one measurement per revolution, simple as that.
    Sorry bout their luck not being able to break 130.

I get in my comfort zone at high RPM and my knees get extremely pissed at low RPM, especially under load.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Um, cadence = RPM regardless of country. With one sensor you get one measurement per revolution, simple as that.
    Sorry bout their luck not being able to break 130.

I get in my comfort zone at high RPM and my knees get extremely pissed at low RPM, especially under load.
    I agree with you that low RPM is tougher on knees.
    I am curious if counting to 50 in 20 sec is an average you can maintain for an hour or 2?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Will I take the time to manually count over time? Not likely as it can be done with electronics that perpetuate my laziness.
    Will I maintain absurd cadences? Yus! It's been going on for many years and I'm not willing to let go of it.

My rides are either in my range or the trials bike is the choice of the day. No spin, it's time to hop around on a bike with no seat and less than 1:1 gearing.

The best part is annoying my brother in law, as he's a roadie that needs a +bike to pass his happy ass and inspire a vigorous ride from time to time.
    That however, will haunt me on our next fly fishing expedition! Our rivalry is in good faith and fun.
    Doctor recommended...

e=mtb2
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Iíll be 61 in November. Been riding since 83 and see no end in sight...
    Wait, tell us how you did that!

I'll only be 73 in November, so could I drop down to 51?

I noticed after 76 years old there is a zero percentage of riders still at It...
    Hope you're wrong!

mtbr member

No need for the eBike. I'm 73 and still riding singlespeed.

Doing the WEMBO World Champs 24 hour solo in October - may reluctantly go to gears for that though because the age class stops at 60 so I'm up against young fellows.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

psycho cyclo addict
    Now we need part iii:

I am 5x, 6x, 7x, ... and have ?(?) bikes
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    With arthritis in the knees, I feel some pain, but it is exercise and enjoyable. Agree high gears hurt but I give it a little push on the road. Just think it strengthens them muscles. My goal is to ride that MTB like a fast road bike. I have the high gear ratio but not the leg torque YET! Thinking about wearing elbow pad. Just dont know at this age if I can take a solid elbow hit and be okay. A few close calls and still learning on what can make you fall off that bike! I also tell myself - "you spend all this money on bikes so you have to ride them, your not old yet"
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    The more protection the better.
    Swellbo!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maybe the use of a computer is a challenge at that age and beyond and are unable to vote and get their point across. An old mechanical bicycle contraption not so much.

mtbr member
    OUCH! I think I'll part with 20/30$ and buy some elbow pads. I'm just healing from a strained back muscle. Been about 2 weeks now. Maybe Sat. I will get on bike again. Hope you heal soon from that elbow soon.
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

Wow! a 102 votes in the poll in a little over 5 weeks. Great turnout so far. Keep em coming ya old bastards.