mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Virtue FD Suggestions

A question to anyone else out there on a Virtue. I am riding a 2007 Virtue 3, and it has been a great bike. One gripe... if I miss a shift and try to downshift on an uphill, the front der just doesn't work well if there is any torque at all on the cranks. Has anyone gone to a high mount standard front der? If so, what make/model... how is the fit, and has it improved the shifting at all? Did you have to add any spacers on the BB? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have not had any problems with my FDR on my Virtue two but I found this comment in a review of the Virtue 2 from 2007:

"Another thing to note is that the bike comes stock with and E-type XT front derailer. It didnít take long (about a day) before I realized that this thing needed to be replaced with a standard top-pull front derailer. The standard XT will fit the frame with just a little bit of creativity and it is much lighter and better performing than the stock E-type."

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah, I saw that review and tried to contact the guy to see what sort of "creativity" he meant. No response.

mtbr member
    A standard top pull conventional swing mech does fit on the frame, the problem i have seen is the cable runs at a very tight angle from the seatube cable boss down to the cable clamp on the mech. The cable exiting the boss on the set tube almost saws into the boss. I guess he has found a way round this. If anyone finds out more, please add to this thread! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm currentlybuilding up a Virtue frame - any more info on this subject?
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I picked up a new (used) standard XTR FD, but it will be a few weeks before I have time to switch it out. I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    I have a 2007 Virtue 3 and have never had any issues with the stock front derailleur!

The Crow
    No issues on my 07 Virtue Two or 08 Virtue One
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    For anyone still interested, the top pull standard fd works great. The cable ange is pretty tight and rubs the stop a bit, but I think I would have to ride the frame for about 30 years before it saws through.