mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Talk me into the compulsion

So I'm looking into a felt compulsion...I would rather have a little less travel but I am hard on bikes so I can't ride a virtue with a carbon rear triangle. So if you have one, have ridden one, or race one let me know what you think of it.

Currently I race pro super d, expert xc, and expert DH. I will use the compulsion for sd and most xc races (as I can't afford an XC dedicated race bike).

I'm in CO where I ride rocky dry terrain.

THanks
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jhhubb
    So I'm looking into a felt compulsion...I would rather have a little less travel but I am hard on bikes so I can't ride a virtue with a carbon rear triangle. So if you have one, have ridden one, or race one let me know what you think of it.

Currently I race pro super d, expert xc, and expert DH. I will use the compulsion for sd and most xc races (as I can't afford an XC dedicated race bike).

I'm in CO where I ride rocky dry terrain.

THanks
    That bike is on my short list when it's time to upgrade.
    I wouldn't bother with the Virtue. The suspension is kind of harsh on that, from what I've heard. It's meant to be more of a race bike, whereas the Compulsion is more of an all around trail bike that climbs really well and can do it all.
    The Compulsion also has a seattube link near the dropout instead of using the carbon for flex, as on the Virtue, making it a true 6 bar Stephenson linkage.
    I've been pretty curious about this design, and while looking for reviews on
    the Compulsion, was able to find this from Mountain BIke mag :

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6...6841-1,00.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thats a pretty cool viedo review. I've heard some great things about the equlink suspension. le_buzz thanks for the response.

I'm waiting for a good price and then I think I'm jumping on a compulsion.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    One of the things that impressed me when looking at that video, was during
    the rocky climb part, the acceleration was smooth and consistent.
    That's one thing I pay attention to, as the terrain where I live is very rocky.(AZ)

As a counterexample,
    when I watched a video of the Mojo a while back I saw a slight pedaling hesitation at times during the rocky climbing parts.
    Then later when I ended up demoing another
    dw-link bike, the Mkiii, I actually felt it (no pun intended) myself during rocky
    granny ring climbing. The pedaling became a little choppy and actually made it a little harder to negotiate those sections than a bike that has a smooth pedaling response in really rocky, technical climbing. I'm not dissing the dw-link, I think it's still one of the best designs currently available, but for more rocky technical terrain like we have in AZ and the CO Front Range I think a bike with the least amount of pedal feedback will handle that stuff better.
    Anyway, I hope that video helped.

High Speed Steaks
    My wife is riding one (08 model) this weekend in Moab (we're there now). I will give her view of the bike.

I will also try it out and give my input. I am itching to try it out.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    My wife is riding one (08 model) this weekend in Moab (we're there now). I will give her view of the bike.

I will also try it out and give my input. I am itching to try it out.
    Yes, please do. Try different shock settings and a variety of terrain if possible.
    I'm most curious how it handles in technical terrain, ie, how is it climbing sharp, rocky terrain,
    how is the loose climbing traction when standing, that kind of stuff.

See how different shock settings might affect it's plushness going down, as there's been
    some complaints about that.

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Yes, please do. Try different shock settings and a variety of terrain if possible.
    I'm most curious how it handles in technical terrain, ie, how is it climbing sharp, rocky terrain,
    how is the loose climbing traction when standing, that kind of stuff.

See how different shock settings might affect it's plushness going down, as there's been
    some complaints about that.
    Dag nabbit... they did a switcheroo at the bike shop and we got the Felt Virtue instead... sorry mate, I guess I spoke too soon. I hope you get the info you need.

Again sorry to get hopes up.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What did your wife think of the one she rode ?

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    What did your wife think of the one she rode ?
    Well, she liked it and so did I. We couldn't tweak the shock since I left my shock pump back in Durango.

She ran tricky slick rock really well. It climbed and descended like a champ. The Reba fork and Fox rear shock were very responsive and when locked out did so easily. None of the shocks bottomed out and we were riding some really rough trails with a good deal of speed (Bar M/Bar A Loop and Klondike Bluffs). I noticed zero bobbing when pedaling.

We have much different inseams (her 34 and me 31) and the 19.5" frame was suitable with little adjustment in the seat stance and seatpost.

All in all, a great bike. I hope to try out the Compulsion this year as well. I am a fan of Felt. We may even try that same bike out when we return in the Fall.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    Well, she liked it and so did I. We couldn't tweak the shock since I left my shock pump back in Durango.

She ran tricky slick rock really well. It climbed and descended like a champ. The Reba fork and Fox rear shock were very responsive and when locked out did so easily. None of the shocks bottomed out and we were riding some really rough trails with a good deal of speed (Bar M/Bar A Loop and Klondike Bluffs). I noticed zero bobbing when pedaling.

We have much different inseams (her 34 and me 31) and the 19.5" frame was suitable with little adjustment in the seat stance and seatpost.

All in all, a great bike. I hope to try out the Compulsion this year as well. I am a fan of Felt. We may even try that same bike out when we return in the Fall.
    So you both rode the Virtue, then ?

High Speed Steaks
    Her mainly, but I did as well.I wanted to try it out. Otherwise I was tearing it up on my Motobecane 29er.

Sorry for hijacking the thread,,,
    08 Felt F1 newbie build