Thread: RXC reviews

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

RXC reviews

I just got a 2006 RXC pro. Carbon chainstays, no disc tabs that year though. Full XT, Skareb fork, just over 22 lbs. Anyway, so far I love it. Climbs very well, and has great long TT geometry. I have been so impressed that I bought another 2007 RXC frame to build up. (I got a deal on it.)

Anyway, I am just going on feel, but like most other people, I do not really know much about these. I did see a recall on the V-brake boss mounts on some of them. Anyone else heard about this?

Also, let me know if you have an RXC, what you think about it, how you have it built up, weight etc.

The Crow
    Considering one of these at the moment. Likely to go for a 2008 RXC team frame and then do a custom build.

The Crow
    Took a 2008 RXC1 for a test drive this week and loved it. It is perfect if you stick to what it was design for: FREAKING FAST XC RACING/RIDING. Build was std Felt Build. I have SRAM twist shifts on my Titus Moto-lite so it took me a while to get used to Shi(t)mano triggers. In my opinion the bike is shorter than the std Med, but not too cramped. Going back to HT was a bit of a bummer after months on a 5" FS, but like I said, if you stick to XC then it's perfect. Very fast and agile.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rxc

Well, I'm getting mine built up. I went with V brakes and light everything else. I have a sid race, XTR, and Race Lite rims...probably with Maxxis 310's on it or Conti Twisters. It's looking like it's going to be a sub-20lb ride. I have been riding my other RXC more and I do really like the geometry for all things XC. Long sloping toptube etc. Really fast.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Iíve just put a 2007 RXC Elite through a very gruelling winter of mud & grime in the UK and it held up very well. Itís very quick & agile (the Ignitors had to get swapped to Bonty Mud Xís for grip in the mud!) and it climbs quickly and efficiently.

The Elite comes with some pretty basic components for the price though (Felt know how to charge but, Iíd guess carbon seat stays add 15% to the basic price of the frame). The bottom end Shimano hubs need regular servicing and the grips kept coming off, which threw me to the floor on tricky climbs a couple of times!
    With a few spec changes it changed to a great XC bike. I think the RXC 1 also comes with better forks than the Tora 318ís on the Elite.

Considering Iíve probably been more All Mountain than XC, I think the RXC is a great piece of kit

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Felt RXC Team; purpose built

I have a 2008 RXC Team. The frame is 19.5 I have it built up with a 2008 SID, Sram x0 drive train, easton bars, stem, and seat post, selle italia saddle, and older mavic crossmax wheels. The total weight is 22.5lbs. Bare in mind the wheels are fairly heavy. I love my Felt and love racing on it. It's definitely quick and the top tube is slightly shorter, but I think that gives it a quick BMX type feel. I wouldn't race anything else right now. I ride my bike everywhere in Colorado and don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having full suspension.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    First of all, I love my RXC. I was riding more of an AM setup before that wasn't properly fitted to me and I had many OTB experiences. I purchased mine as a frame only and was planning on building it up with the parts from my old ride. After installing the parts from the old ride, I decided that I was doing a disservice to the RXC and started buying better parts one by one. So now, the only thing left from the old bike is a set of brakes. The RXC is light and quick and climbs great. I just wish I had the endurance to ride the guts out of it. It is indeed designed for fast XC riding and that is what it does best. At first I was leary of some of the rocky descents that we have around here with the carbon seatstays, but after a few rides I don't worry about them anymore. I would like to know size and brand of tires you guys are running on the rear of your RXC. So far, I have ran an Ignitor, SB8, and Nevegal. All of these have been in the 2.1 size. I am running DT 4.2D rims and have only about .125" of clearance on each side between the tire and the chainstays. My wheel is running true and I just feel like I need more clearance. Should I be running a 1.95" in place of the 2.1"? For winter, I feel that there is an advantage to the bigger contact patch, but in the summer the 1.95" would probably be fine. Any opinions and information is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would continue to run at least a 2.0 tire. I personally ride Maxxis tires. 90% of the time I'm on Crossmarks front and rear. I like a little more volume with the hardtail. I've never given any thought to clearance. However, I have raced with the 2.1 Crossmarks in muddy conditions and didn't have any problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I agree with the more volume comment, but I just felt like the clearance was a little tight for the 2.1 kenda. I like the crossmarks, but was a little worried that they wouldn't handle mud too well. Where I live, we have really sticky clay that is pretty tough to get a tire to clean out. I'm pretty sure that the Nevegal isn't the best mud tire, but I really haven't tried too many yet. When my Nevegals and SB8 are worn out, I may give the crossmark a try. I try not to ride in mud too much, but sometimes it just happens.
    Thanks again for the reply.